Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Beginning of the end (Doc)

Started by Ycharley, December 23, 2012, 11:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ycharley

One of Lilly's eyebrows raised, she was a mean drunk and she had already downed quiet a bit of the strong potato liquor. She pointed quickly to the shield before holding out her hand, the man still owed her money.

Her light blue eyes were blood shot and most would assume if she would of tried to stand and walked, she would stumble and fall. Of course most would be wrong, she could hold her liquor better then her brother she just let people assume though. If you knew the two better, you would also find, that between the two, it would be her that you wouldn't want to mess with. She had no hesitations once she started to fight and she didn't mind fighting dirty.

Most of the guys around the village had already learned their lesson from Lilly as well. She was a fire cracker, and when you mess with fire you get burnt. There had been plenty of the boys try to take advantage of her, and leave it to say, they learnt there lesson quickly, and knew better to try it again. She had shoved a shovel full of hot dragon rock down one boys pants with out a second thought.

Devin was the lover and Lilly the fighter. Axel sat beside Lilly, looking at Cauwyn like he'd make a good lunch, of course Axel looked at most people like that. "A silver," She stated simply.

Doc

Cauwyn himself was quite a proficient at drinking, but then it was dangerous not to be when growing up surrounded by the most unsavory sort of people. Especially when a drink offered by those men turned down would mean a fight, often to the death. Unfortunately Cauwyn was also a mead drinker and the taverns ale wasn't settling well. He opened his mouth to speak, but the only thing that came out was a rather loud and rumbling belch.

"Oh." He covered his mouth and coughed, trying to cover the gesture. He had the common sense to know the difference between tavern or campfire manners, and business manners, "Sorry 'bout that.."

He sauntered forward, schooling his smile down to a merely pleased grin, and began his inspection of the shield. Much like her, Cauwyn ran calloused fingers over the face of the shield. Only it wasn't because he couldn't see, but because he could. The shield looked as if it had just been forged! While he didn't know every crack or scratch, Cauwyn knew the big ones. The pockmarks made by a mages lightning, a large didn't from an Adelan with a mace, even the gouges made by naga claws. All of which were gone! And the wolfs paw had even been replaced! Gone from a simple etching filled with red paint, it was now more prominently filled with bronze. He'd been opposed to the paw at first, even embarrassed by it, but steadily it had become a part of who he was. Even now as he was leaving his old life behind, he found himself loathe to part with it.

"By the hells, girly!" Cauwyn exclaimed with a broad grin, looking up at the blind blacksmith and her dangerous companion and not in the least put off by either, "Looks good as new!"

He dropped his things with a soft and partially muted metallic clank against the counter and opened the pouch on his belt. A single silver for this kind of work seemed like robbery and though Cauwyn had no problem resorting to banditry in the past when contracts were scarce, he also knew the value of good workmanship and keeping a solid relationship. Slaves, no matter how skilled they might be, tended to only work as hard as would keep them from the whip.

After a second of eyeing up the distance Cauwyn tossed the silver coin into the girls hand and then produced a second one from the pouch. He considered his question a moment, sifting through the gentle haze of the ale, before giving the coin a few raps against the shield announcing to the girl there could be more.

"I'm also in need of a new spear," Cauwyn said rather calmly, "an' judgin' by your work I think I'd like t' put you on..." And then he paused, trying to remember the word he'd heard others use. He fumbled around in his own mind, searching and stumbling and mumbling as he thought, "on uh... on uh... fuckin' hells.. On, shit!" And then it hit him and he blurted out with a bit more exuberance than necessary, "Retainer! Hells girly, I'd like at put ya on retainer!"

Ycharley

"Why do you think I'm the only blacksmith here? because I'm the best," She said simply. She stood, stretching then adjusting her top. Axel stood as well, yawning, showing off his sharp dangerous teeth.

"Did you try the bindings? make sure they were right?" She asked making her way to several sticks of varying lengths. She carried several of the longer towards Cauwyn. She leaned the sticks against the counter and adjusted her fur pants.

"Well, give me the specifics on what you want, metals? specific woods? A certain type of spear head?" She asked. Then Lilly stepped back away from Cauwyn abruptly, a look as if she smelt a foul odor filling her face. She could smell Luna on him, and she didn't like the tramp.

Doc

"Heh." Cauwyn smirked and chuckled slightly at her boast about being the best. Not because he doubted the girl, but more because he liked her confidence. He respected confidence, but only in people who could back it up. It was clear to him that this girl could certainly do that.

"Hmm, good point.." He mumbled at the mention of actually trying the shield on. He must have been drunker than he realized, considering he'd paid the girl without actually checking that she had done what he came in for in the first place. Pulling the heavy shield of the counter he grasped the handle inside and then set about adjusting the bindings. Cinched down nice and tight he took a few steps back and then gave the shield a few good swings making sure nothing felt loose. With a pleased smile Cauwyn returned to the counter, removing his shield, "Perfect. She fit's like a glove, girly."

He eyed the various shafts the girl brought to the counter, considering which length he wanted. Not to mention the metal. Steel was strong, but iron worked better against the fey, their descendents and generally most beings with magic. Considering that he'd lost his cold-iron dagger in a bet at a tavern a week or so back, he was heavily considering the options when he noticed the girl take a large step back and wrinkle her nose.

Cauwyn immediately raised his arm and sniffed himself. He couldn't blame the girl, he had been over a week on the road without a bath so far. Not to mention the ale and his earlier burp. His smile turned apologetic, and he sounded generally a little embarrassed as he spoke, "Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Been hard travelin' the past few weeks... Plus, ya know, the ale at that tavern don't seem to be sittin' so well.."

Ycharley

"I'd rather smell a man who has traveled a year with out a bath and drank five gallons of bad ale before smelling the gutter snipe Luna and that is what I smell," Lilly said trying to straighten her face to not be too rude.

"You shouldn't mess with that girl, just sitting an inch from her you risk catching some diseases that will take your life slowly, plus I swear that girl never takes a bath, just drowns herself in cheap perfume to try to hide her rotten smell," She said shaking her head, disgust in her voice.

Lilly picked up a small cup of the potato liquor and pushed it towards him, knowing it was pretty good at settling a stomach. "Here," She said as she turned to Axel, scratching the large feline behind the ears. "I can also do combination metals, or I can plate the spear," She continued to speak, the more work the spear required the more she could charge.

Doc

Cauwyn did his best to arch a brow as Lilly went into her tirade about the girl from the tavern, it wasn't something he was good at. His lips curled into a rather amused smirk and he had to fight back the urge not to laugh. Jealousy was such an ugly monster and Cauwyn could hardly keep the humor in the situation out of his tone.

"The girl from the tavern?" He asked, trying to seem nonchalant, "Pretty one, with the blond hair? Hangin' all over your brother when I left? Good t' know, but I think ya should be warnin' your brother girly. Not me."

He took the offered drink from the girl, and a hefty sip, before setting it onto the counter. It was good and stronger than the piss ale he'd had at the tavern. Cauwyn made a satisfied sigh before getting back down to business with the girl, "Plated, eh? What all metals do you 'ave in stalk, girly?"

Ycharley

"Calling her a girl is too much of a complement, you clearly don't know the girl, she's a tramp, sleep with anything that has a penis," She said with a shake of her head. Lilly wasn't jealous, there wasn't anything that girl had that she wanted.

"If Devin wants his manhood to rot off, well that is his business," She continued with a frown. Where Devin decided to place his manhood was up to him, she had no dealings or care about it, he would have to deal with anything he caught from the whore.

She took a deep breath, pulling her mind back to business, "I have bronze, silver, steel, and iron," She listed off. "If you want anything else though, I can get it," She spoke, knowing that he wouldn't need anything else, for a weapon at least.

Doc

Though Cauwyn was trying to be understand, like a little boy when the Lilly mentioned the word penis he couldn't stop the snicker that came out. He blamed the alcohol of course and shook it off with roll of his shoulders and a quiet grunt.

"Sound's like your not her biggest fan, girly." He said in a quiet voice, somewhat more somber than normal. The more lighthearted tone returned quickly though as his grin returned, "But I thank you for the advice. Saved me from some painful pissing to say the least.." Cauwyn was no stranger to occasional disease and had visited more than one apothecary and herbalist. He was mostly thankful that he had never contracted anything too serious that couldn't be cleared up with a few herbs or a tonic, considering his 'gift' seemed to work against healing magic too.

"I think I'll take iron, pro'lly be the most useful to me." Cauwyn nodded, returning to the business at hand, "And an ash stave will be fine, fire treated 'course. Uhh.." He paused for a moment to think, holding his hand at the height of the top of his head, " 'bout this tall for the stave it's self, make the spear tip hand length with a neck 'bout this.." Cauwyn was in the middle of holding out his hands to show the length he wanted the neck of the spear head when it dawned on him the girl couldn't see what he was doing. He muttered quietly, "Shit..."

Ycharley

Lilly didn't really even notice his snicker, she was on too much of a rant to care how he reacted to her words. She really didn't like Luna, she completely despised the whore. She could hit her in the head with a hammer and not feel a thing.

"My name is Lilly, I'd appreciate it if you called me by my name unless you want me to call you boy," She started her hand on her hip. "Your welcome for the advice though, I figure a new comer should get it before they get something soap can't wash off," She added. Axel was rubbing up against her leg, purring slightly, Axel's way of trying to calm Lilly down, though it rarely worked.

"If your going to use your hands I have to be touching them," She stated before pointing at him and squinted slightly. Though she was blind her eyes were still very expressive. "And don't take that pervertedly little boy. I'm not a prostitute and we're talking about business so keep your mind out of the gutter," Lilly add. Lilly walked up to him, following his voice. "Now don't act like you ain't never touched a girls hands before," She said holding out her hands. "Now move my hand to how tall you want the staff."

Doc

Cauwyn frowned, through it was lost on her, at the insinuation that he would have any perverted ideas. Even if it was a good insinuation, he didn't much like being called on the matter. With a small grumble he stepped closer to the counter, practically leaning over it, and took hold of her hands. His fingers were rough with calluses and he was unsurprised to find that hers were the same.

"The height," He said with a small smirk despite the fact he was trying to keep his voice businesslike, "should be about to here.." He held her hand just above his head, at just over six feet for a moment before moving down to show the length of the spearhead at just over a foot, "and this should be the length of the whole spear head, from tip to base. The blade of the spear should be about this big.." And with that he turned his hand flat, pressing her palm against his larger one so that she could feel the size of his hand.

Ycharley

After that Lilly took back her hand. Though her hand might have a few calluses from work, her skin was still extremely sensitive. Luna might not have the calluses, but Lilly didn't had the diseases that Luna had. Lilly sighed, "that's doable," She said placing her hand back on her hip. She grabbed the tallest of the staves. It was the one closets to the height he required. "So you want a solid iron spear head?" She questioned again.

She didn't like working with solid iron. Iron, compared to other metals was much heavier and much weaker. She would recommend a steal spear head plated in iron. It would be much stronger while still holding the magical property that iron held.

"Do you want any charms placed on it?" She added looking back at Cauwyn.

Doc

"Charms?" Cauwyn blinked a little in surprise, and it sounded in his voice, when she mentioned charms. Was this blacksmith a mage as well? The hairs on the back of his neck stood up ever so slightly. It wasn't that he was exactly afraid of magic, he just didn't much care for it. Or the people who wielded it. Such tended to happen when spells meant to kill only caused some minor pain. Mages could be pretty quick with there spells sometimes.., "What do you mean charms? Can you enchant a weapon as well?"

Ycharley

"I can't, no, but there is a mage in town who will enchant the weapons. A charm like to help keep it sharp, nothing too fancy, simply stuff," Lilly continued, hearing the change in his voice.
"You sound even more like a Connloathian now," She added with a giggle, reaching underneath the counter and pulling out some more of the strong liquor.

Unlike her brother she liked it, she liked it a lot. Then her mind started to wonder, her brother damn well knew that she didn't like Luna, yet he wouldn't suit any other girl. He hated when she even talked to men when it wasn't to do with black smithing. A broad smile started to form across her face.

Doc

"Oh, well.." He mulled the idea over briefly, though it was pretty strait forward. He didn't have much of a qualm against enchanting, especially something like that, more his issue lied in elemental magics. Being directed at his face, "Now that does sound pretty useful.. How much is that gonna run me?"

When she made a comment about sounding Connloathian, Cauwyn simply grunted and shrugged it off. Like most people born on the tundra, Cauwyn had no real idea where his family came from. He did smile when she pulled out more of her potato liquor, taking that as a queue to pick up the glass she had offered him earlier and take another long pull. As he went to set the glass back down on the counter, he caught the girls grin and it made his lip curl in a curious smirk, "What's so funny gir...Lilly?"

Ycharley

"Well," She started, thinking about how much the mage would charge her and how much she should charge him. "I'm thinking, for the charm," She continued taking another drink of the liquor. "Maybe three silver," She said, turning her eyes towards him.

The smile on her face spread even more as he questioned her.

"Oh, nothing, nothing at all, I'm not laughing am I? Is there something so wrong with a girl smiling?" She asked leaning over the counter slightly. Cauwyn would give her a chance, a chance to make her brother angry. Devin hung around with people Lilly didn't like or approve of and now she would do the same. Lilly could tell he was the soldier type, he wasn't worried about settling down, he would get his piece, have his fun and move on. Lilly also knew if she could tell that, so would Devin.

Doc

"Three silver?" Cauwyn kept the strain out of his voice. While he could certainly afford it, freely spending so much so rapidly would probably come back to bite him in the end he knew. Then again, an iron spear that never dulls, "Alright, bargain struck." He said with finality and a single heavy nod, reaching out his hand to shake.

When she leaned in closer though, Cauwyn's smile warmed into a playful smirk. He rested an elbow lightly on the counter and leaned closer to the girl. He had to chuckle slightly at what she said, "In my experience, Lilly, if a girl starts smiling at you there usually is somethin' wrong. 'course, it's also my experience that not to many a man cares about anything like that, once a girl s'pretty as you starts smilin'.."

Ycharley

"Well there isn't anything wrong here, if there was something wrong I wouldn't be smiling, and probably threatening to hit you in the head with a hammer," Lilly started. Axel walked around the counter, starting to rub against Cauwyn's legs affectionately. If Lilly liked the guy, so did he. A deep purr resonated from Axel's chest as he rubbed his face against Cauwyn's leg.

"It seems Axel likes you already," Lilly said hearing the deep purr. "Am I as pretty as Luna?" She asked raising an eyebrow. Lilly reached her hand forward. "Well this isn't fair, you can see me but I have no idea of what you look like," She added with another smirk.

Doc

"Well then, I'm glad I ain't about to get with a hammer.." He said with a warm, broad grin. His attention turned to the massive cat as it came around the counter. The sheer size of it almost knocked him over when it began to rub against him, but he caught himself. Cauwyn reached down, scratching behind the large cats ear which came up to just above his knees. While Cauwyn was certainly a meat eater, most animals did hold a special place in his heart. He cooed in a soft voice to the cat, "Aww, course he likes me. He's a good boy-cat, idn't he.."

He was so busy with the cat, he almost hadn't heard Lillys question. He blinked and then looked up with a start giving her a slightly confused look that turned into a rather wry grin. The cat left to rub his leg Cauwyn turned to lean against the counter again, his eyes roaming over the girl before he spoke, "Much prettier than that wench I'd say.. An' I guess you're right, I do have you at a bit of a disadvantage.."

Cauwyn took her wrist gently in his large calloused hand and leaned a bit closer, guiding her hand to his face. He couldn't help the wry smirk that stated firmly planted on his lips as the jaded blind blacksmith started to turn into the part of a flirtatious girl, though it did falter somewhat when she reached the large scar on his jaw. He wasn't exactly self-conscious about his scars, he was actually pretty proud of them, but that was because most women liked a man with scars. At least, the ones in the circles he traveled in. To someone who hadn't seen them before, he suddenly wondered if she would find them unattractive..

Ycharley

Lilly laughed at his comment, he was lucky, there were few people she would stand to flirt with her, and even fewer she would return the favor. She smiled as she heard him talk to Axel, she found it rather, cute.

'Why is this man baby talking me? Do I look like a seven pound helpless baby?'Axel asked Lilly. The question almost made her lose her composer, it was his tone that really got her, Axel, even as a feline, had the perfect sense of sarcasm.

Lilly let Cauwyn move her hands to his face, she slowly let her hands move. She could feel the smirk on his face, which brought a smirk to her own. When her fingers ran over his scar though, she could feel his face change. "Is there something wrong?" She asked pulling her hand back. "Its just a scar, I mean, I have plenty of them," She said, almost like she was reassuring a child.

Doc

"Hmm? No! Wait... what?" Cauwyn frowned when she pulled away, calling him on his scar. He was rather pleased at least that she couldn't see his cheeks turn red, because blushing wasn't really his thing. Cauwyn recovered quickly, laughing it off with a quiet chuckle.

"No, no.. it's just, well.." He shrugged, "I didn't know if ya ever felt a scar before. Ya know, on a face.." Even as he spoke he realized how idiotic that sounded. He groaned inwardly and rolled his eyes, annoyed at himself, before continuing, "An' yes, I realize how dumb that might sound.. Look, I got plenty a scars. They don't really bother me, scept in the mornin's sometimes. An' when it rains, but ya know.. If they don't bother you.."

Again Cauwyn shrugged, that wry smirk returning, "I could certainly show ya more of 'em.. Got plenty.."