Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Being From Another World (alex_xr)

Started by Corona Starfire, January 22, 2013, 05:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corona Starfire

The bear flinched as random miscellany had been thrown at it. However, it didn't pause long as it launched itself as the duo. Alistair seemed to snap out of it just then, able to assist Bethe in getting themselves out of the way. Thus, the bear managed to miss them once again, clearly being impeded by the deadly poison coursing through its system. At that moment, the cries of its cub being assaulted by an illusion finally reached the matriarch's ears, and it spun around to instead charge in that general direction. Unable to keep itself stable from the poison, the bear collided with a nearby tree head-first. The tree made a splintering sound and slowly fell over, just barely missing the young cub.

If Bethe had managed to trip or fall over in the last escape attempt, Alistair would first assist her in standing. Other wise, confirming she was all right, he would make his way over to the mother bear which had collapsed onto its side. Blood spilled not only from its dagger wound but from its head as well from the collision with the tree. The young cub nudged the side of its mother, as if in attempt to get her to stand. The mother bear made a few grunts, but otherwise seemed within its last moments.

The bear cub shied away when Alistair got near. He knelt himself next to the bear, examining it closely. At this point, the bear mother seemed completely unaware of its surroundings, and thus did not pay the young man any heed. "Sincere apologies, mighty beast. It was not my intention to frighten you. Quite a fight you put up, considering my assassin friend clearly managed to poison you so badly." He referred to Bethe as an assassin as if it wasn't some sort of big revelation, but rather a well-known fact. He reached his hand onto the dagger that was still stuck in the hide, and gently removed it. The mother bear made a low grunt in pain, and struggled slightly as if in revolt. However, it was too tired and too damaged to make any significant movement.

Alistair frowned at the beast, apparently saddened by its impending passing. Despite this creature just trying to kill him and his new found friend, he felt it had been his fault the whole predicament even took place to begin with. Without even realizing it, a faint golden glow overcame his hand. He took a deep breath, and his eyes took on the same glow. Then, laying his palm on the large grizzly, the faint light transferred itself over the creature. It lasted a few moments before it all would dissipate, leaving Alistair to his former appearance.

He took a deep breath once again, apparently fatigued from whatever it was he had just done. He stood slowly, and then made his way back over to Bethe. "It is recommended we move forward now, before the beast finds the energy to move itself." And then, as if on cue, the large beast slowly regained its posture. The young cub nudged it once more, but this time a nudge was given in reply. The mighty bear turned to look at Alistair and Bethe once, before shifting its gaze towards the forest beyond. Then, it steadily began to move in the direction away from them, its young cub trailing behind. "Or perhaps it is satisfied." He gave a warm smile.

alex_xr

"Assassin? hm I suppose the daggers and poison give me away."    You healed it.. you don't remember much but you seem to be powerful. "  She said looking him over. This man was more than he seemed.  She wondered what the man was, he was not an ordinary one. She had seen the hits he had taken.  It was not normal for a man to walk away from that and heal the bear from her worst poison. She didn't think it was possible. 

"I hope it doesn't bother you that I am a assassin, I do mean well when I said I would help you though. "   She wondered what he thought of her. She was just outed pretty much. Heh it wasn't worth fretting over. She  smiled at him trying to hide the frustration of the beast she killed getting back up  before it died. She had wanted to skin it and take the cub in for a pet.  Oh well at least she was alive.

Corona Starfire

He knelt down and picked up Bethe's messenger bag, which had remained on the ground up until this point after she had thrown it at the bear. He offered it to her along with the dagger he had removed from the bear's hide. He seemed to ignore her initial comment about being an assassin. "Powerful?" He asked with a weird face. He gave himself a once-over just as he did when she had called him handsome. "I wonder." Truth was, he didn't even know what he had did. It had just felt right at the time. That light he saw... it felt natural to him. Like home. When he thought about it, he could almost recall where it was he had come from. Almost.

His body still hurt all over, and his clothing had many tears in it. He knelt down in the stream to wash himself as he did when they had first come across it. He also took another drink while he was at it. "What you are is your own business, milady. It is not my place to intervene." He said simply in reply to her statement, right after getting a drink from the water. "You have assisted me greatly thus far, and so it would be inconsiderate of me to judge you for your personal life. Besides, not all assassins do such a thing out of simple evil." Though, he had no idea what reason she had for assassinating people. Be they enemies of the state, notorious outlaws, or randoms who had a bounty in the black market, it mattered not to him. It was simply not his place to ask about it.

"Also." He suddenly said, standing up and stretching. "I believe there was a miscommunication earlier." He turned to her and shrugged. "I had meant to say, when we have managed through this ordeal, we should enjoy a meal." He scratched his head, looking around. "It would seem in that dire situation, I spoke improperly." He must have been referring to the time when the bear was attacking them and he mentioned something about a 'cook-off'. Maybe that thing he said about a rabbit was also just an error on his part. Who knew with this guy.

Although, if what he had just said was true, he apparently had the utmost confidence in their survival the entire time, even after the bear sent him flying and knocked the wind out of him.

alex_xr

She shook her head, and took the bag. " Thanks I almost forgot it.  That would of been embarrassing.  She almost let a spell off on him to heal him before she realized it wasn't needed. " Well it seems we are off again. Hopefully we don't run into another bear. "  She nodded hoping they could indeed find a nice place to eat.  It worth that much.

Bethe smiled and she  looked to him. " So you remember falling and your name, anything else? Any loved ones? Any clues?  Anything? " She was hoping to help jog his memory, she heard that helped when things sort of things happened.

Corona Starfire

His eyes widened at her mention of another bear. "Yes, running into another ursine would be rather unfortunate!" He exclaimed, apparently taking her way too seriously. "If such a thing occurs, we should attempt to move away without making eye contact." He nodded with confidence.

He began to move forward once again, following the stream as they had before. He ensured she would follow before moving too far, though. "No, I am afraid not." He frowned at her inquiries. "I feel like I am forgetting something important, however. Perhaps it is just my imagination." He left out the part that he felt an overwhelming sense of familiarity when he healed the bear. He didn't find it relevant at the time, it didn't apply to her question, and he didn't want to reveal too much about himself just in case. After all, he had no idea what could happen once he remembered. It was better to play it safe.

"Milady, do you recall how far it is to the village you mentioned?" He wanted to avoid the previous subject for now.

alex_xr

She shrugged, "half a day I think, so if we want to make it before dusk we should hurry" Bethe sighed and kept walking, He seemed to not want to talk much so that was fine, She  stayed silent, and just thought about how she wouldn't have the bears pelt.. now.  "Why did you heal that bear?" She couldn't leave it be. " I was going to sell its pelt and try to make a pet out of its cub...  Well attempt as I wouldn't want to leave it to die...  Well more importantly how did you do it?  That is a very potent poison, it is not suppose to be able to be countered by magic. "  She looked at him and kept trailing behind wondering what the man was really.  Just how she wasn't all she appeared.

Corona Starfire

He was exhausted. His body hurt all over. He had no idea what happened to him earlier that day, but the combination of that and the bear incident really did a number on him. He reasoned that his body's natural ability to regenerate at an above-average rate tired him out considerably, and whatever power he had used to heal the bear was even more tiring. He still wasn't quite sure what it was he had done, but somehow it all felt normal to him. He knew for sure that once his memory was back, everything would make sense. But still, the fact that he wasn't quite sure as of now concerned him slightly. Mostly because he felt that he had been missing something this whole time. Something was lost. He felt like he had to find it. But what was it? Or who was it?

Despite his inner concerns, he was quite skilled at hiding them outwardly. He certainly never seemed to be in a bad or worried mood. Even through the entire incident with the bear, he was rather up beat, considering. He nodded to her comment about hurrying to reach the village before sundown. It was farther than he had anticipated. Thoughts about the possibility of spending the night in the forest crossed his mind. Perhaps instinctively, his mind scanned the area, whether to look out for more wild animals or even potential shelter.

"I restored the wounds of the beast, because it was simply attempting to shelter its young. It did not deserve punishment for attacking me." He stated simply. "Apologies that you had other intentions, it was my decision that the death of the bear would be of no value to us. After all, the pelt of a bear is rather heavy." He explained, as if he had already considered the possibility that she had wanted the bear's hide. "Considering I have no use for such a thing, and you are supposed to be in route for an objective, I felt as if the hide would do little more than slow us down. Also, by the time we skinned the creature, a significant amount of time would have passed by. This would potentially cause us to be forced to spend the night in the wilderness. Since travel in a forest at night is not recommended, we may have had to find shelter. Thus, taking the time to carefully skin the hide so that it is in a considerable condition could have taken far more time than we have allocated." He paused for a moment. "This explanation also leaves out the inconvenience of the bear cub." He turned to her with a quizzical face. "You intend to bring along a wild bear cub to your appointed task of delivering a message to a Lord?"

He blinked a few times. Apparently, he had thought this through rather well. It would seem entirely possible that he had considered all of this on the spur of the moment, in which case his ability of thought processing was beyond extraordinary. Not to mention, he implied that he knew how to skin such a creature. Whether or not this was true remained to be seen, though.

He stayed silent for a moment after she asked him how he managed to heal the bear's wounds. "I wonder." He said, with an entirely serious tone. "Magic? Is that what that was?" It didn't sound right, though. Magic. This word was foreign sounding to him. "How does magic work, I must ask?"

alex_xr

Her jaw dropped,  the amount of thought he had put into it was astounding.  Bethe, thought about it all. " right.. its more that I am traveling, with an objective that will remain discreet.  She was always so bad at lying around this man.. What was up with that? She sighed almost wanting to just tell him everything, he seemed so foreboding. She didn't know what else she might do.  She sighed and kept walking.

magic that wasn't a small subject.. nope how did it work.. Well granted she had never met another like her. but she gave it ago. Well I find it is using the energy inside of you and around you to have things happen. " She was suddenly wearing a skimpy outfit and was a curvy woman nothing like she had been before.  and her voice was sultry. " As you can see it can let you do all 'sorts" of things" She winked before turning back to her regular self.  Others.. well I don't know what others might do with it. I know they can form fire balls or defensive spells or all sorts of effects.  There is also holy and demonic magic. Though that is not my area of expertise.  "  She then went on to explain the finer points of magic getting down to the nitty gritty.     

She smiled as they seemed on the the outskirts of civilization.  " hmm seems like we are close!"

Corona Starfire

Alistair didn't comment any further on the subject of the bear or Bethe's intentions. Nor did he seem at all concerned about it. He did listen rather intently, though, as she explained magic to him. Of course, she had expected any sort of "guy-like" reaction to her skimpy illusion trick, she might have been rather disappointed. He simply nodded and said "I see" to confirm his understanding. "So your area of knowledge lies with Illusion magic? That explains, then, the false threat that distracted the ursine. Quite brilliant, Miss Kira!" He seemed genuinely impressed.

It seemed they were getting close to their destination. It suddenly occurred to him that he would probably need some form of currency to purchase a meal and lodging at the village. Of course, that assumed that no one there knew him. He had a strong feeling that such would be the case, though. He reached into one of his pockets before reaching out a small brown sack. Apparently a coin purse. Opening the pouch he noticed a small amount of coins. Apparently, this was the currency he was thinking about. It seemed logical to him, but nothing about it was familiar. Something told him, though, that spending this for food and lodging would be perfectly acceptable, despite the fact that there wasn't much in the pouch to use. It was as if currency shouldn't be of any concern. He wondered why he had this feeling, since he had no idea where the money even came from in the first place. What would he do without any money?

"When we reach this village, allow me to provide you with a meal, milady. Perhaps it will serve as remuneration for side-tracking your previous destination." He said this while placing the pouch of coins back into his pocket.

alex_xr

" I would love that, and Yes I am good with Glamours, and the like. "     She kept along as they got closer to the village.  " So  recognize anything?"  She figured she would  give it a shot.  as perhaps something might be familar to him.  She on the other hand found the village the same as she last saw it, houses might of changed or moved but it was the same village.   Bethe just smiled and waited for an reaction.

Corona Starfire

As they entered the village, a vision flashed before his eyes.

---

Destroyed. Everything. Not a single building remained standing. Some were covered in flames, others seemed to have been rotted away. There were no people. No animals. Nothing living. Any plants or trees that once could be seen were withered and lifeless.

He slowly made his way over to what used to be the chief's house. A white fabric caught his eye. When he reached down for it, he realized it was a robe which had a striking similarity to one he had eyed earlier. Had she made this for him...?

Tears overcame his eyes. He looked up towards the sky, staring at the blood-red stars above. It was only a little past noon, but the entire sky was a literal black color. Neither the sun nor the moon could be seen. The darkness of the sky made the stars a blood red tint, making them look as if bloodied eyes were staring at the world.

---

As quickly as that vision had come over him, it had gone. He realized he had been hunched over slightly, his right hand covering his face. His head hurt so much. But he couldn't remember anything. Within a few seconds, the entire memory of that vision faded. What was it?

She had asked him if he had recognized anything, but to him that felt like an eternity ago. He looked at her, lowering his hand, revealing bloodshot eyes and dilated pupils. He looked extremely tired. "No, I am afraid not." He said, finally, in response to her question. For the first time, his voice actually had a slight tremble in it. He had obviously attempted to hide it, though. "Are you aware of a nearby tavern, milady?" He asked, hoping to get the conversation to a different topic.

alex_xr

" Sorry I am not aware of a nearby tavern, though there looks to be one ahead. " She said with a smile, wondering what was going on with the guy. She didn't know if she wanted to spend any more time with him as he wasn't exactly stable, but alas she figured she would hate her self for not helping him.  She had a soft side after all.   Bethe didn't want to know but did. " Are you alright?"

Corona Starfire

"Ah, I am perfectly fine. Thank you." He gave a warm, sincere smile before moving on towards the tavern. "Come, I shall treat you to a meal in remuneration as I had promised." He said decisively, even holding the door for her assuming she intended to follow him. Inside, he seated himself at the bar, ensuring a seat next to him was free for his companion. "Did you have any preference as to what you would have?" He would ask, assuming she sat down next to him. Otherwise, he would simply order, "two of the finest dishes you offer, milord, drinks included."

The tender eyed him suspiciously. "I've never seen you around here before. Traveling?" The man would ask.

"You could indeed say that." Alistair would reply. If the bar tender didn't know him, then chances were good he wasn't from this village. Unfortunate.

"Well, I have a policy that those I don't know pay up-front. Too many scoundrels skimping the bill, ya know?"

Alistair shrugged and reached for his coin purse. He was fascinated to find that the amount of coin inside differed from what he saw before. In fact, it was literally exactly enough to purchase both meals. He made a weird face for a moment, which made the tender grow obviously concerned. But, the tender was satisfied with the amount Alistair gave him and didn't pursue the matter. Alistair simply returned his (now empty) coin purse to his pants pocket. As weird as the situation was, he felt that the coin purse having exactly what he needed was not unusual. It was supposed to be that way, he felt.

alex_xr

Bethe followed him and was worried for a moment the man didn't have the money but it seemed that he did.  " So it seems your not from here.. but where could you be from? " she said wondering to her self.  "and you remember nothing.. perhaps a general location.. city town, forest mountains.  " She was trying to help him, but he just didn't seem to remember anything.

Corona Starfire

The tender handed the drinks to them while they waited for their meal. It would probably be about the quality one would expect from a small village tavern. Alistair sipped his beverage while considering Bethe's words. "I find it plausible that I am outside of my usual area of dwelling. Perhaps I have wandered here from afar." He nodded. "If that is, in case, the truth..." He took a sip while closing his eyes and thinking for a moment. "Then it is highly unlikely anything of this area shall be of use to remind me of the truth. In fact, only time may recover my memory. Or, perhaps, I will never regain it without the use of supernatural incantations. It may be so that I suffer from a sort of brain damage or mental trauma." He spoke of all this as if he was simply the observer of the situation, and not the one actually affected.

"Milady. Perhaps you could inform me of the nearby locations? The name of the country we reside in, perhaps, would be a good start." He smiled to her while asking. They were waiting for their meals to be prepared, anyway, so some conversation unable to be interrupted by a bear wouldn't be such a bad idea.

alex_xr

"We are in Serendipity, In the riverlands, full of trade on the river. The roads are somewhat protected not as much as the rivers. " She smiled, wondering where this man came from, he was interesting for sure.   " So, I suppose asking you questions about what you do and such won't work in this situation..  " She wondered what on earth to say. She didn't like to share much about her self.   " 

She wondered what led to this man being here and what his story was.

Corona Starfire

"I see. Serendipity Riverlands.." The name certainly seemed familiar to him somehow. And this much was obvious by the look on his face. But after a moment of thought he shrugged, clearly unable to make a connection. "Oh, I do many things." He began to answer. "Such as eat, sleep, walk, run, talk.." He ended up listing about twenty different things before he finally realized her question wasn't one-hundred percent literally intended.

"Ah, apologies. You must have meant a profession, yes?" Stating the obvious, his demeanor proved that he hadn't been mocking her. Indeed, he truly took her question of what do you do? completely literally. Perhaps he wasn't as intelligent as he originally seemed. "Yes. My profession is.. unknown. Indeed." He nodded, taking a sip from his cup. Something told him that such a question wouldn't be so easy to answer even if he knew what it was, though.

Luckily for Bethe, the food arrived shortly after. Thus, she wouldn't be forced into so much awkward small talk.

---

Two figures in hooded black cloaks stood in the clearing of the forest. One of them knelt down and seemingly sniffed the ground. "Yes, he was definitely here." The one knelt said, in a pleased voice. "The stench is awful, though. Definitely not a mortal."

"Seems like he met up with a mortal, though." The other one said, with a hint of delight in his voice.

"Ah, yes! I can smell them!" The one who had been knelt down until this point stood and, with superhuman speed, dashed across the moonlit clearing, stopping just before entering the forest once more. "How delightful! Let us feast tonight, brother!" He cried out, baring his fangs in anticipation.

"Calm down, my brother. We have all night long...."

alex_xr

Bethe began to eat the food after doing a quick and most likely unseen check for poison.  She wondered what this man was going to do, it would seem that he was lost and she pondered how long she should stay with him. At least tonight she thought, as she continued  eating in silence.

It had been a while since she had helped a stranger, perhaps she would stay with this man.  What was the worst that could happen? Se shrugged and ate some more. The food was good that was at least one positive thing.