Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Huntsman (Open)

Started by Listenbeastie, February 24, 2013, 07:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listenbeastie

"You are asking... all the wrong questions." The beast responded, relaxing enough to settle down on the ground. He curled up like a cat, looking back to the actual feline. "I cannot befriend them..." The monster's tail  curled around his form. "Circumstances dictate that... I must make sure none who reach... my home survive." Then he growled. "Shall we be... done with this subject, then? I prefer... to enjoy my food, rather than... doubt my decision."

miss_sanguine

The more Enth said, the less Iktomi understood. The less he understood, the more his insatiable need to ask questions bubbled to the surface. Growling didn't frighten him, only increased his need to poke and prod with his words. Either he'd get a straight answer, or he'd end up making an enemy.

Neither one bothered him one bit!

"Circumstances?" he asked. "What circumstances? Are you under a curse? Are you speaking of instinct? Carnal nature found in every beast?" He circled Enth, tail twitching behind him. "And what is this of your home? Are we in your home? Is that why you killed the bear, because it was in your 'home'?"

But that didn't explain why he usually killed humans. Humans didn't wander into the woods in droves. "Why humans, anyway?" Putting his nose to the other's flank, he took a small sniff, then sat back again. "You are a big furry enigma, Enth!"

Listenbeastie

"And a furry enigma... I will stay." The monster watched the spirit as he moved about, occasionally turning his head back in the direction of the village warily. "You will not get... answers like that from... everyone." With that Enth rested his head over his tail, keeping one eye open.

Something broke a twig nearby. Small, but a bit too big for a rat or squirrel.

miss_sanguine

Aw. It looked like Enth had dropped the subject on his own. Iktomi's ears cocked, his head with them, as he stared the other. He had to have many secrets, to want to keep them all bottled up like this.

"You're just going to lie down after one scare?" he asked, a little disappointed. "There's plenty more we can--" The sound of a breaking twig made him turn toward the noise, ears alert. A wide, cattish grin spread across his muzzle. Had someone followed them? "Who could it be?" he wondered aloud, loud enough for Enth to hear him.

Listenbeastie

"I... could not guess..."

If the spirit was attentive enough they'd find the source of that noise. Two large eyes stared, straining in the dark but focused right on the monstrosity that was Enth. Soft, wispy hair tickled the little one's round nose as they looked on in a mixture of horror and amazement. It was definitely human and could not have been any older than five or six.

The large beast seemed to know this or he likely would have devoured their follower by then. Instead he glanced between Iktomi and the direction he assumed the stranger stood (considering he was turned at such an angle not to be able to directly spot them without moving.)

miss_sanguine

A child peered out at them from the bushes, her eyes wide. From where he sat, Iktomi could taste her mild fear, see the awed wonder in her gaze. Though she crouched too far back in the shadows for him to recognize her, he had no doubt she'd followed them from the village.

"I think she likes you." Iktomi purred and kneaded the forest floor with his front paws. The girl only had eyes for his big, hairy friend. She crept closer upon hearing the spirit speak, her movement slow but determined. Even her frightened face was set with determination. "Do you know her?"

Listenbeastie

"I do not..." He uttered hoarsely. The beast idly let his own tail swish back and forth, almost reaching the little girl once. He didn't want to seem too quiet, after all. It might scare the child away even more. Despite her presence the monster was unconcerned, using his floppy ears to listen for other things. If the child was out and about, who knows just when her parents might come along and spoil her innocent curiosity with screaming and possible fighting.

((Really long time before I replied, sorry. 'm thinking about how another thread might be started up with tho.))

miss_sanguine

(No problem. I've been really slow, too. And I would love to start up something with Tho and Senna. <3)

When the girl got close enough to touch him, Iktomi stuck his nose out and sniffed her. Her huge eyes flicked to him, a nervous smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. She looked as though she wanted to laugh, but held back on it with great difficulty.

If Enth didn't know her, there was little chance she knew him. And Iktomi certainly didn't recognize her. Why had she followed them out here in the dark, where even the most bravest of children held their deep fears? And would Enth want to eat her?

The cat looked to Enth, noting his relaxed posture. Well, somewhat relaxed, excluding the on-the-lookout appearance. He didn't look hungry, if anything.

"Do you need something?" he finally asked, looking at the girl directly. He tried not to look too frightening, as far as big cats with glowing eyes went. He looked downright cuddly next to one such as Enth. But the girl only acknowledged his question with a blink before crawling toward Enth and wrapping her tiny arms around one of his legs.

Listenbeastie

The large beast turned its head, looking directly down at the girl as she cuddled with his leg. Plopping down on his side while simultaneously minding her vulnerable form Enth reached out and took her before pulling her to his torso and lying back down. The creature's ears grew limp while it looked back over in his companion's direction. He may well be just as clueless as to what to do with her, but at least he wasn't eating her.