Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Racing Against the Moon

Started by visualspice, June 26, 2013, 04:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Valeska laughed, an awkward, musical sound as she pressed the dagger even closer to Dylanna's flesh.
"WHo said she'd be able to even drink your potion with how deep I'd gut her?" the woman purred.

And it was only a beat later that Dylanna, the captive, responded. And she was shocked and upset Samuel had gotten hurt- slit his throat even, so the next set of words came out were stuck between frustration, fear and rage.

"D-do as she says, Rufus," Dylanna sputtered out. "For this isn't your throat she is threatening." And she knew the consequences well in advanced before marching upt hose steps- and that reason was laying in an unconscious heap that brought tears to her eyes. "Please, back away!" If anything, she was at least grateful Samuel was alive- but give her a moment, she didn't need Rufus. This bitch would pay by her own hands. No one took a Swinden alive without consequences!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

Rufus stood in place, daggers in hand, finding himself filled with dread. When Valeska had Sam, he was unhappy, and angry, but there was no dread. Now with a knife to Dylanna's throat, he was terrified. Now was not the time to have to confront his emotions. He had them locked down. This just was not the right time. He looked into her eyes, and he knew he could not let her go. It wasn't an option. He would die before he let Valeska take the one woman he had ever loved.

"I won't let her take you Lanna," Rufus said to her, using the affectionate name Ryk used for her. "I won't. I'll die first," he directed his next words to the witch with the knife. "If you harm her Valeska, I will keep you alive for years, and subject you to the worst tortures I can imagine. You will beg to die every day as I flay your skin off and then restore it, time and time again."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

visualspice

Valeska simply laughed, a cruel noise that echoed into the purring storm winds around them.
"Lanna? How very cute," she cooed, her cheek now pressed up closely to Dylanna's. Her eyes danced as she took in the desperation in Rufus's features and the knife remained where it's presence was most powerful. "I never knew you gave such nick name's to your lovers."

And though while Valeska was amused with it all, Dylanna's expression was very evidently confused- for only one man had ever used that name towards her, and she found herself gaping. No way. Was Rufus also Ryk Handalaar? Or.. did these two men somehow share some sort of secret she did not know? But a wicked flash of lighting brought her back to the reality of the situation, and she steeled herself in Valeska's grasp.

"If you're going to take me away with you, I'd suggest you do it now," Dylanna warned, having only but one thing in mind- and that was the safety of her son. And she knew Valeska was cornered now, there wasn't much left for any plans of escape- for a storm mage or not, and the skies over head began to darken as they crazed woman continued to drag Dylanna off, her glare defiant upon Rufus.

"You might want to stop right there," Valeska warned. "Unless you want Lanna's head dangling off her neck."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

Rufus freed up a hand by sliding its dagger back in its secret place. Then he drew the dagger in his other hand across his palm, drawing a deep red line of blood. Then that dagger vanished up his sleeve as well. He pulled a potion from his belt and uncorked it with his teeth. He dripped a few drops across his new cut, and then wiped the blood away and held it out for Valeska to see.

"Drinking the potion gets it to your center so that it can spread the healing throughout the body. Cut her throat and I'll pour this across the wound. She need not swallow it you bitch. Now when I put a dagger in your hand in a few moments you'll likely cut into the Lady Swinden's neck, but she'll recover and I'll have won. Prepare to die." Rufus tossed the potion to Derek, who was standing close. "Be ready with that." He then pulled the two throwing knives back out and took aim. He'd be throwing his blade close to Dylanna's face and neck, but he was confident of his aim.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

She couldn't believe he went for it, and neither could Valeska. She had been counting on utilizing his only weakness against him. But perhaps she was wrong? Or miscalculated. And with a cry of pain as the daggers sunk into her, she shoved Dylanna into the dirt and bolted. In consequence, Dylanna's throat had been cut, and as she slapped a hand across her bleeding throat, Valeska was already far enough outside of the.magical shield that she could feel.her powers come back to her. And in her rage she summoned a bolt of lighting so bright it would blind them all as she hurled it their way, trying to take down whoever she could before disappearing completely in the aftermath of her rage.

Aeytrious

Dylanna fell to the dirt and Rufus pulled another dagger to throw at the Witch as she fled. Lightning crackled at him, and though everyone was within his protective field, even Rufus flinched back. The dagger he had flung out at her was caught in the strike, and flung back, charged with electricity, nearly taking Hansel in the face. Only missed him by a hair, and the crackle of energy stung at his ear.

Rufus was down on Dylanna in a second pulling her to him and putting his hand out to Derek. The potion went into his hand already opened, and he was pouring it into her mouth with haste. Thoughts of pursuing Valeska came late, his head came up from looking down as he cradled the woman he loved in his arms.

"See if you can track that bitch, but don't get to close. I wanna know how she gets off the island, I didn't see any other boats when we swam ashore."

Hansel, Derek, and Swab jogged off to see what they could see. Chuck brought Sam over to his mother, as the boy was beginning to rouse. Just then the little wolf, forgotten in the chaos, found its way to its master, and started whimpering.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Fear became her as the sting of blood gushed from her wound, seeping through her fingers as she blanched at the pain. She wasn't even sure how it happened, for it happened so fast. The potion was drank, and she, clinging tightly to his arms as she shook with sobs.
"Gods!" She exclaimed, eyes rolling with tears. She was alive, the woman was gone and...

"Samuel!" She clung to the passed out child fiercely and sobbed over his form the second he was.given to her. "Oh, Samuel. Gods, Samuel."
And the moment Lightning joined their sides, he released a whimper and licked at the boy's face. But before Dylanna could shoo the wolf away, she gasped as he.began to awaken.
"Samuel!" And soon she was smothering her son with hugs and kisses so fierce, the boy found himself dizzy.
"What happened?" He asked, big,blue eyes peering up at his mother.
"You have been rescued, Samuel. Mr. Rufus Herr saved you."
The boy timidly rubbed at his eyes as he observed Rufus in silence.

Dylanna was never more happier than she was that day. And she had a 'wolf' to thank for it. Peering over at Rufus, she brushed a dark strand of hair from her face.
"I owe you so much for saving him." She said, tears streaming down her face. "Samuel is my life. I'd be lost without him. We'd be both lost without you."

Aeytrious

Dylanna, his love, was safe, the boy was safe, the wolf even escaped unscathed. Rufus was grateful and Dylanna's gratitude was well recieved, but as Sam woke, and looked up at Rufus, Rufus found him staring into Sam's eyes, his eyes. He gave a silent signal to Chuck, and the mountain of a man made himself scarce. The three of them were alone now, and the expression Rufus had now as he looked at Dylanna was very serious. He reached up and pulled down his eye patch letting it hang around his neck so they would keep its protection.

"Look at my eyes Lanna," he said in a serious tone, "who is Sam's father?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Had it been any other time, any other moment she would have lied, refused. But after such a tiring day and being so long in fear of losing her son; it just about broke the once proud woman apart. Especially as she peered back into his blue eyes and realized the truth. If there was doubt before, doubt was no more as she pressed her lips together and told him,

"Ryk.." she said carefully, her eyes never leaving his. "Samuel is your son."

Aeytrious

He already knew the answer now, in his bones, her pause the look on her face. The emotions in him were riling. Then she said it.

"Samuel is your son."

He was struck dumb for a moment, but no longer. His boy, he was beautiful, and gentle, and loved. A tear escaped his eye, running down the soot and grime on his face. He smiled, a wide, genuine smile. Luckily the boy was not old enough, or smart enough, to really understand the importance of the moment, his son could not know he was a villain. A million thoughts ran a million directions, and then he noticed the fear in Dylanna's eyes. Fear? But why? Perhaps she thought he would reject them, or take revenge for the deceit. Those sort of things were far from his mind though. Rufus had already kissed Dylanna once, and so he had no problem doing it again. He kissed her, deep, passionate, with all his love coming forth, and more tears slowly fell from his eyes. He loved her, loved his son. He pulled back from her and stared into her eyes.

"You should have told me, you silly woman. This is," Ryk paused, his Rufus persona slipping away completely. "This is splendid. Mary me Lanna, please. Marry me, and let us be a family. It's what Nammick wanted you know. Us, together. I love you Lanna. Really truly I do, I always have. Please. Let Sam know his father."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

If Rufus thought he was dumb struck, Dylanna had no idea what to say or what to even do. For the moment she spotted the tear and the sudden over whelming change of his expression, she was swept away. A moaned escaped her, softly as they kissed, for it had been many years since she had experienced a moment like that, and a passion like that that she hadn't even realized she was naturally kissing him back. But the second she was free of his lips, and her breath returned to her, she stared at him, dizzy and confused and  so many emotions rushed within her.

Fear, love, regret, confusion, all of them clearly painted upon her face. And she had almost missed all that he said, and it only came to her ears well after he had spoke it.

"I..." her voice was croaky, and it's volume barely reaching her ears. She hadn't even known she was shaking, that was, until Samuel grabbed a hold of her arm and peered up into Ryk's face.

"So this man with the funny nose is Mister Handelbar?"

And before Dylanna could even say anything, even respond to that, a laughter came from deep within her throat as her eyes sparkled with fresh tears.
"Yes, Samuel." But then she wen ton to correct him as she brushed away a tear. "This is Mr. Handelaar." She pressed her lips together in attempts to suppress a growing smile. Samuel was still uncertain of this.

"Mr. Handelaar?" he repeated.

"Yes," Dylanna said carefully, measuring up his 'father' as she released a hot sigh. "And he is also your father."

Samuel blinked, making a face, as he too, seemed to scrutinize the man before them.

"Father? But I didn't know I had a father." And he moved to stand up, observing 'Rufus' while Dylanna remained on the ground. Her legs were useless now anyway- and she was still whirling over all of the confessions Ryk had told her, she still had no idea what to even say.

"So if you're my father does that mean you'll buy me more toys at the market?" and the question was posed most seriously. He did, after all, enjoy having things bought for him and Mr. Handelaar seemed more eager to do it than his own mother.

Aeytrious

"I'd love to buy you toys Sam, and maybe more carts full of flowers for your mother," Ryk winked at Dylanna, giving away another secret. "I really would like that Sam, but of course we'll have to check with your mother, and maybe I could buy her something else? Maybe she'd like if I bought her a ring?" He looked at Dylanna eagerly, she really meant the world to him. Sam was the greatest gift she could ever have given him. He'd love them both for all of his days.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

While Samuel cheered at the idea, Dylanna was floored at what Ryk just revealed. Too much was happening too fast and she found herself shaking her head.
"Rufus," she made a face and shook her head, correcting herself, "Ryk... I... Please.." she said, taking her son now and pulling him into her arms as she hugged him close. "I know I owe you the world, I owe you my life, and whatever price comes with saving my son. And I... I would marry you, if... if that was a means to end this debt but I.... Ryk, I..."

Oh, how could she explain emotions that were even so foreign to her? Love.... he said he loved her. BUt this was Ryk Handelaar, and now she just found out he was also playing someone else! And where as Ryk flirted with so many women, had such a reputation- Rufus, on the ther hand, was a criminal.

"How.. how do I know who I'd marry, Ryk? Is this Rufus, proposing to me? Or is it Ryk? And what am I to say? You're a high end, well known criminal." And here she shook her head, trying to shake away the forming tears.  "Did my father know about this?" And her voice hitched at the end at such a realization. He rhand cupped over her lips. Oh, this was almost too much to bear!

Aeytrious

Ryk was beginning to lose that glow of hope, that idea that all his secret dreams were coming true. She was afarid of him still, she did not trust in him, why should she. He was a letch, a rake, and a cad. He hid his distress poorly, showing it plain on his face. He loved her with all that he was, but she never knew, he never told her, and he had a reputation that he had nurtured into what he'd wanted it to be. Being known as a womanizer made it easier for people to overlook his greater traits, like a sharp mind and quick wits. The more he was disliked and envied for his sexual conquests, the less likely they were to notice him robbing them blind.

"Yes, he knew," Ryk dropped his gaze in shame. "Nammick was a very clever man. He's the only person to ever puzzle it out so easily. He still called me friend, always tried to get me to leave this life. Perhaps if he were alive I'd no longer be Rufus. Now only you and Einin Beirne know my secret, and though you know I'm Rufus, and the city knows of Rufus and the Soot Wolves, I doubt many know what that means. I am the king of the city in all but name. I guard it's streets, I protect its people. If you marry me, you marry Ryk, and you marry Rufus. One is nothing without the other." He lifted his eyes to hers, finding his confidence once again, "If you marry me, I will tell you all my secrets, you will know me, the real me, the man that was before I created Ryk and stole the mantle of Rufus. I love you, and only you. I have never spoken those words to any person in my life. I have never loved, not even my mother, not until you. You make me weak, and strong. I've always protected you, though in secret, because I love you. Don't make my words, my secrets, meaningless. You are my heart. Not because you owe me, but because you love me too. I know you do. You can't hide it from me. I see it in the way you move, in the way you guard yourself. You think I'll hurt you. I won't. I'm begging you. I never beg, I take what I want, without asking. But this I cannot steal or leverage from you. It must be freely given. Your heart in exchange for mine. Please Lanna." His pleading words were etched into the movements of his body, the expression on his face. His heart was in her hands, and there was no way he could control the outcome.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

If she thought she was over whelmed before, she was certainly over whelmed now. But this was on a different sort of level, as a whole new series of emotions were attacking her as her cheeks flushed as she peered back at him and his love struck story. How long had he waited to say this to her? How long had it been bottled up? And how was she to accept or even deny this?

She felt dizzy, she felt weak- and it was at this time Samuel chimed in.

"Ewww, love is mushy stuff." And he made a face as if he just ate some nasty medicine before turning to his mother. "You should marry him for his toys." Because little boys cared not for flowers.

And she dind't know it then but her eyes welled up with tears that blinded her as she trembled before him.
Marry him? Marry Ryk Handelaar? Marry Rufus- King of crime?

"Oh, Ryk, I..."
Did he really not know what she might be giving up for this? What she had to confess to if she did this? But int he purity of his expression, she saw it would not matter, and as her lips trembled she lowered her gaze, closed her eyes and whispered,
"Yes." And their was a pause so brief inbetween before she added, looking up at him through teary eyes. "I will marry you, Ryk..."

Because in heaven's name,s he knew she had been too stubborn to try it all before. She'd at least do it for her father, for her son- who she truly wished could know and grow up with a real father-
and for herself.

So she could stop hiding, stop pretending....

And maybe... as he so wholesomely put it...
Perhaps...
there was some way...
in the truth in the moment on that boat.. out at sea...
When she had given herself to him so freely without consequence...

That perhaps, a little part of her wasn't at all that entirely drunk. And now, for once in her life, perhaps she could react on the one emotion she feared but hid away for so long-
Just as her 'soon to be fiance' had done just a moment ago.

Maybe she could try love. Maybe she could try being married. But oh, the strength it would take for her to place her faith into a man, especially the single man in all the world she feared most of all.

Aeytrious

Ryk lunged forward and swept Dylanna up into his arms kissing her again. He was so happy he could die. When he finally released her, he bent down and picked up Sam, tossing him gently into the air and catching him. Ruffling his hair and setting him back down. Lightning was going crazy, yipping in excitement, though love and marriage meant nothing to a wolf. Rufus noticed Swab, hobbling back toward them in the distance. Ryk pulled his eye patch back in place. He smiled at Dylanna and whispered, "I love you," before slipping back into his Rufus persona. He dropped to one knee and looked at Sam.

"Hey buddy, can you do me a really really BIG, favor Sam," he ruffled his son's hair again, "when these scary looking men around, don't talk at all okay bud. No matter what, you stay extra quiet, like a sneaky cat. You do that for me, and I'll bring you to my house to see the dragons I bought at the faire."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Dylanna was sure her heart had never fluttered so much in all of her life-
Nor, did she ever think she had seen a man so happy, especially that man being Ryk. Normally, he wore such a coy mask as he waltzed about, but to see him like this, really, truly happy- it was something else.

Touching a hand to her chest, when Ryk began to talk to Samuel, she was finally beginning to sober up from the moment as well. Oh...
That's right.
Now that she and Samuel knew of his secret...
What were they to do about his men?

Drawing Samuel in close, she brushed a hand through his hair and told Ryk, "And I shall make sure that he does. Keep quiet. That is."
And she kept finding herself smiling, blushing; even as she tried to fight it. But it was there. And Ryk Handelaar was the reason.

Aeytrious

As Swab grew nearer, Rufus whistled to Chuck, and the large man approached from the spot he had taken up to keep watch. When Chuck got to the group, he melted into a boyish grin and began playing with the rambunctious wolf pup Lightning. Swab came with news.

"Boats, several boats," the old salt told Rufus. "There's a hidden cove on the other side of the island and the witch and her cats had boats there. Seems we didn't kill them all. They're sailing one away with that bitch on board." The news pleased Rufus. He nodded and gave Dylanna a meaningful glance before heading off in the direction Swab indicated.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Lightning was so excited for all.of.this attention, and for the crazy.fighting and strange storms to be over that he was running around like a crazy person... Well, animal. Dylanna watched as Samuel giggled as she hugged him.close, peering over at Ryk and wishing she could help.him. But she knew her place was here with Samuel, so she gave her son a kiss and hugged him.again, and reminded him in a whisper, "Remember, my love, stay quiet and strong."

Aeytrious

((OOC: This thread is complete. Any that are interested in the continued story will find a link here forthcoming, when a new thread is begun. If you're interested in what happens specifically with Ryk/Rufus after this, but before he returns to Arca, you'll need to join Gully on his adventure to bring a warning to his boss. That can be read here.))
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey