Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Card Tricks (Open)

Started by TheHighwayman, July 08, 2013, 10:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayman

It was a slow day at the Den- Vex figured the rest of the Wolves were probably out stealing, mugging, or whatever it was each of them did to get paid. He, on the other hand, was doing something rather rare for him: practicing. One thing that had always been a bit of a problem for him was creating different illusions while maintaining a disguise- so he'd decided it was time to fix that.

Instead of looking like Vex Idrian, the man sitting at a table spreading cards out before him appeared as a tall, dark haired man in his late twenties, elegantly dressed and wearing a cap with a bright red feather in it. The cards on the table, meanwhile, kept flashing between different faces and values. At times there were two of a certain type, or none of another, but not for long as Vex worked his magic as quickly as he could. If he could get quick enough with these, he could work on keeping them up. If he could learn to keep the illusion up long enough, he could finally use those blank cards he'd made.... and then he'd essentially be able to win as much as he liked.

Then it all fell apart. A queen of diamonds was meant to become a six of clubs, but ended up a nine, and in correcting that mistake he lost control of three other cards, and from there it all went south. His disguise was blasted into pieces, leaving him just him in his shabby street clothes- although he did still have the nice hat- and in a panicked swipe of his arms (reflexes, sometimes physical movement helped focus his magic) he knocked half of the cards to the ground. "Arrgh! Got cocky... stupid cards... something in this room screwing with my magic..." Anyone walking in would see a very red faced, very annoyed Omega Wolf grumbling and stooping to pick up the scattered cards.

Aeytrious

Canis Rufus, the Red Wolf, had been watching the Omega practice since before he wrapped himself in that silly disguise. The kid was getting better at controlling his magic, but Rufus felt he should master the trick without magic first. If he could do that, then the magic could simply be used to augment instead of acting as a crutch. So caught up in his trick, poor Vex didn't notice Rufus as he approached the table. Of course his magic failed with the anti-magic eye patch in proximity, only constant magic enchantments would work with the Red Wolf near.

"Sorry kid. You know magic doesn't work around me," Rufus bent to help pick up the last few cards from the floor, "Why aren't you wearing your armor, and where's your Omega badge? It represents your authority over Wolves without titles."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Brisinger987

Torak had spent most of the day wondering what to do with his money. Gambling it seemed like the only reliable option to get rid of it.

He walked into the Den, having no idea what to do with all the 1000 coins from the nobleman, who had paid for a hefty assassination against a nobleman who was trying to wrestle control over the guard force, and focus their efforts into policing, and trying to stop the wolves running around the city. Torak's employer might have been putting in a good word for what Torak thought was an excellent job.

The job had involved no unnecessary deaths, the kill was bloody, it had no connection to the Soot Wolves, and looked like a bog standard murder, not an assassination. He thought he had gotten much better at what he was doing, as he had even managed to worm some black market information out of him before he died.

So when he saw the man changing the cards, and seeing Canis Rufus there as well. Interesting.

"Canis Rufus." Torak gave a small gesture of respect as he approached. And Canis Omega too! "Canis Omega." He gave the same level of respect to the Omega. He didn't mockingly bow, more respectful, as a loyal servant would to their master.

TheHighwayman

Vex raised an eyebrow and grumbled when the Red Wolf spoke up. Figures he'd show up right when the kid needed to practice. "I'm not wearing the armor and the badge because I can't get the armor to fit right, the badge makes dealing with the other wolves too easy, and both of them scream 'careful what you say' to anyone outside. You know how hard it is to get people off their guard if you actually look like you're a part of a criminal syndicate? Hard, boss."

The boy took the cards in his hand again and sat back down, grimacing as Torak walked in. The young man had heard plenty about Torak's... exploits, and even if he was getting better, his style still seemed clumsy and stupid to Vex. Plus, he struck him as a lunatic- what kind of idiot started murdering members of a group, then up and decided to join? If Vex had ever tried something that dumb, he'd have been killed seven times over. Of course, the grimace had less to do with his personal distaste for the man's methods and more to do with the fact that the one time he needed solitude, everybody seemed to gather around him.

Well, maybe he could use the chance to work on his other talents of deception. Setting the deck on the table, he grinned at both of them. "Well, if I'm not going to get any practice in, might as well try something else. You two got any coin to risk?"

Aeytrious

Rufus sat at the table. "I don't have much time to spare, but I could stay for a bit. Alko," Rufus called to the bartender, "bring me a mug of Charon's newest brew."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Brisinger987

Torak sat at the table after Rufus decided to, and thought about offering up his coin. Perhaps it would work.

"I have coin. What sort of stakes are we betting here?" Torak wasn't good at gambling, but coin and property didn't interest him. He simply did not want to buy things, or pay for them. They meant nothing to him.

zozee9

Zeina had entered the room, immediately spotting Vex. He was one of the wolves she liked—since he was kind of like her kids. Except he was clumsy and stupid. But even still, she always favored the younger ones, with the exception of maybe Rufus. She was just about to walk up to him and join his silly card game until she saw the Red Wolf. No use trying to cheat with him around. Even if her slight of hand tricks might be able to fool his eyes, he knew her well enough to not trust her.

Then Torak walked right past her, either not seeing her or not caring to say anything. She had already heard about him from small talk among the pack. She didn't like what she had been told and was planning on keeping a close eye on him, but she watched him with what would look like uninterestedness to anyone else. He seemed respectful enough, though she couldn't tell how he was feeling. She would fix that soon enough. After all, Rufus liked her to make sure no crazy ones got admitted into the pack.

Finally, Zeina detached herself from the wall and walked over to the table. Pulling up a chair, she sat down. She nodded her head slightly towards Rufus as acknowledgement but did nothing else. She never did more than required, and she felt as if no more was required. Zeina had heard that Torak tortured to get information about the wolves, but doubted he knew that she was the Coyote. Most newcomers assumed she was just a waitress or had some role of no importance. But if he treated her unfittingly, maybe the Red Wolf could teach him some respect, something he was said to have been missing.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

paganchick

Lilly sat in the far corner of the room. She enjoyed the table she sat at. The way it was tucked away made her feel a bit secluded, almost as if she was watching the card game unfold before her but the participants couldn't see her, and the beast that was inside of her liked that a lot.
Lilly was new but she knew better then to honestly believe that the people at the card game didn't notice her, especially considering the rank of some of them. Her senses were on high, the full moon would only be a few days away, so she could hear the conversation, even at the distance she sat, with ease.

So she sat there nursing the drink she had gotten from the bar tender. She leaned her head back slightly against the wall behind her and stretched out her legs a bit. They didn't know she was a wolf, and she didn't want them to know that she took the name of soot wolf to a whole new level considering when she turned she was a black wolf. It would all play to her advantage, normal humans couldn't hear at that distance, and by all appearances, she looked like a normal teenager covered in dirt.

TheHighwayman

Vex quickly shuffled the deck and began dealing out hands of five- including one to Zeina, despite her not actually stating any interest in the game. "Eh, just a friendly game. Don't want to wager anything too much. Let's say the pot starts at... three glints each?" In all honesty, it was probably a little more than he should have wagered- the lad wasn't one to take on a lot of the higher paying work the Wolves were involved in. He usually covered his dues, his needs, and a few of his vices, but that was it. Still, he'd always had a bad habit of gambling more than he should. Besides, he had already taken care of the first two, which meant it was time for the vices.

Without waiting for a response, he slid his three coins to the center of the table and picked up his hand, a broad grin spreading across his face. Oh, it was a decent hand, but nothing spectacular, three kings and nothing else of note, and he wasn't trying to bluff. It was just how he played- if he tried to keep a straight face (without cheating and using his magic, which wasn't really an option here) there'd be some hint a keen eye could pick up on. If he just kept grinning the entire time though- not hard thanks to the fact that he did genuinely enjoy the game- it tended to throw a few people off. The tactic wasn't exactly flawless, but experience told him it helped him more than it hurt.

Aeytrious

"We're betting real money? I see. Well all I have is gold so..." He took a quick look at his hand. Two pair, ducks and kicks, with a rocket. Well at least only three more aces were out there. Rufus reached under his armor and pulled out a small bound book with a tiny quill tucked in its pages. He opened it on the table and then snapped his fingers in the air. "Ink," he called out, and Alko brought a small bottle over with haste. He scratched out 'six glint' onto a page , marked it with his glyph, and then tore the page out putting it in the middle with the coins. "I see your three and raise you three. That's six to play now folks. Play is to you Torak" Rufus laid his cards face down on the table. He knew what they were, no need to look again.

(ooc: for those that didn't have a poker night every Wednesday for two years, ducks are twos and kicks are sixes. Rocket is obviously an ace, but I thought I should make sure to say so just in case.)
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Brisinger987

Torak pulled three gold from a small purse. "Again, raise three. Nine to play." Torak took a look at his own cards after putting the gold in the centre. He had luck. King, queen and jack. Beautiful. But he had no need of the money. He could throw it all in again next hand. He kept a completely unemotional face, not happy at all, he wasn't losing money. He wanted to rid his purse of weight, not gain weight. He didn't care if all his money went of the Soot Wolves personal armoury, he wanted rid of it. He could give it to Rufus when the time was right.

zozee9

Zeina had noticed the teenage girl sitting in the corner, but didn't mention it. The girl had been assigned as a Scavenger but they hadn't had time to talk yet and figure out the details of her job. That would have to happen after the card game. Then she could introduce her to the rest of the kids.

Seeing Torak put three gold pieces on the table, Zeina inwardly sighed. "Glints, Torak, glints." Then she faked a yawn, stretching her arms up and moving her hair so it was no longer covering the left side of the chest. Doing this exposed her Coyote pin. She did this for the girl who was probably watching them, so that she would know who her leader was. The fact that it revealed her position to Torak didn't bother her much.

Returning her arms to the table and picking up her cards, Zeina merely stayed silent but added her own glints to the pile, again raising it by three. Her hand was worthless: a six of hearts, a four of spades, an ace of diamonds, a ten of hearts, and a jack of clubs.

If Zeina was playing seriously, she would've been using her special ability (which only Rufus and a few others knew about) to see emotions as auras to see how good people felt about their hands. But she was playing to pass time and to get to know the new guy a little bit, therefore she kept her eye sight directly on him. If he made eye contact with her even once, she would be connected.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

paganchick

The game was boring her, there wasn't any talk or even half coded talk, just a stupid game, Lilly was a bit disappointed at the fact. When she decided to glance at the table she did notice something new. The woman at the table was her immediate superior. She knew that once the game was over the woman would probably come speak to her. Tell her her duties in such.

TheHighwayman

Vex shrugged and slipped more of his own coins forward. "I'll call. Can't scare me off that easily." The young man shot a look around the table, thinking. He knew what the boss was capable of, but he'd not really given either of the other two enough time to figure them out. He was curious about Zeina- there was something about her that gave him pause, though he couldn't put his finger on it. Torak, on the other hand, still hadn't demonstrated to him that he had something rattling about behind his forehead. This would be a good chance to try and figure out both.

"So, anyone had any good jobs lately? I can tell Twitchy here-" he pointed to Torak, "-must've made out pretty well, seeing as he doesn't even have to bother using the right coins. Boss? Zei? Got any interesting stories to share?"

Brisinger987

"Oh, my money is just something I don't need, you guys can split it between you. I gamble because I am crap at it, and it wastes money. I don't need it, you guys can gamble for it." He leant back and remembered his cards. They were easy enough. But hearing about Rufus and Zei would be good.

Aeytrious

Since Vex only called that set the bet to Rufus. Once everyone had called they could get around to the draw phase of the game. His two pair was decent but there was plenty that could beat it. He'd ask for at least one, maybe three. "I'll call. The festival the city had a few days ago was nice. I picked up some new items, and I recruited a couple kids foolish enough to try and pick pockets of our associates," he covered the rest of the bet and let play pass to his left.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

zozee9

"Calling," Zeina simply said. She was prepared to talk to Torak about how rude it was to imply that they would want his money, but since Rufus stayed silent and his aura was untouched, she let the issue be. Glancing over to the girl in the corner again, Zeina asked, "Is that where that girl came from?" She didn't bother telling a story of her own. It was too much talking.

Aeytrious

"She's not one of my catches. You'll wanna watch that one though. My scenters say she's not human. But let her keep her secret. At least until we know what she is."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

paganchick

Bored with the game and the people and the fact that they were talking about her, Lilly stood, leaving the room at a leisurely pace.

OOC: Hey I am pulling Lilly from this thread so you can skip me from now on.

Brisinger987

"How many do you think will make their way to any position of power in the wolves Rufus? Without thinking about it." Torak drew when it was his turn. An ace. Dammit.

He thought about what to do, and his poker face changed to a face of frustration. This would at least confuse them.