Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Forgetting the Lost [Brisinger]

Started by Colonel Mustard, July 22, 2013, 01:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Mustard

In the ruins of a watchtower on a lonely hill, far from any roads or villages, a pile of rubbish lay. The tower's top had crumbled long ago, leaving the remaining stone as a diagonal that jutted up from the landscape like a broken and rotten fang. The sky above was the grey of old steel, and water fell from the heavy sky-borne cotton of the sodden clouds.

Through the many holes and nooks of the tower, water dripped, miniature streams that collected on the bottom floor, next to the pile of detritus. If one were present in that tower, and looked at the litter long enough, one might have just been able to make out the shape of a man, tall and broad-shouldered, and behind him the spread of old paper and rags may have, just maybe, formed two curled wings.

Water dripped on a rusted bowl at the man-shape's head, the noise echoing and mingling with glockenspiel plinking of other drops, and somehow the form shifted. Stirring, Yuluman woke from his sleep and stood, the rubbish and detritus taking form of an angel. Battered and rusted tin formed a breastplate, an old gnarled stick with its end studded in sharp scrap metal and nails made his mace, and in his left hand was a leather and wooden shield, split down the middle by a sword blow.

His rest finished, the Angel of Lost and Forgotten Things looked around at the innards of the abandoned tower, the walls glistening with water as if he were in the guts of an immense stone beast. The only indications of any recent habitation were a scattering of rat droppings on the floor, damp from the water, and Yuluman decided that all was well.

He stepped outside and spread his wings, the patchwork and old paper already growing sodden in the drizzle. With a downbeat that shed veils of water, he took to the air, pushing himself high up over the ground as he powered towards his destination, a cave several miles away. Within that cave was an old ring, one that had once belonged to a sorcerer, and held within the ring itself was a spirit, an ancient one of great and terrible power, that had helped the spellcaster in achieving immense potency. It had been lost when the sorcerer had been killed by a vengeful warrior, and the man had cast the ring into a stream so that its power could not be abused again; that stream had flowed into a pool in a cave, where the ring had been lost forever. Yuluman had no interest in taking the ring for himself, and instead warded the cave with spells that made it had to notice and instantly forgettable, dissuading the curious from exploring it.

After a short flight through the breezy and wet air, Yuluman landed in the gully that housed the cave. He had recast the wards only a few hours ago, which was why he had deigned it necessary to rest in the ruin after his exertions, and had come to make sure that there had been no problems with the fresh spell. If there were none, as was likely, then the ward would last for years to come.

Extending his power, Yuluman checked the wards. Had he a face, he would have frowned, but instead he merely tilted his helmet to one side.

Something had disturbed the spells he had cast on the cave.

Brisinger987

Kirnardaz had been roaming the cold mountains, looking for a place to call home. The cold grey of the sky mixed with the grey of the rocks and snow to make the illusion of emptiness appear. Yes, among the Terrin Mountains, there were luscious valleys, full of life, but desolate peaks and cold frost dominated the higher altitudes. And even in the lower altitudes, rocky gorges and ravines existed, housing all manner of goblins, giant spiders, and ghosts and ghouls.

And now a Demon prince was exploring these caverns, the areas of the world abandoned to darkness by the watching gods and angels, a place he was revered as king. He was the god here, the master, the lord. These monsters were his subjects, minions.

He received no bother roaming their territory. For among these caves, the goblins told of a cave with magical wards, wards that killed the goblins on contact. It was intriguing. To protect a mere cave with wards against evil meant something of value. Possibly something evil.

Kirnardaz had found it and broken through the wards with ease, his power much more efficient and immediate than whoever put so little effort into the ward. Now he was exploring the internals.

The cave was merely a tomb of minions and monsters, a small battle having been fought here. It was thrilling to see such ancient armours revived. No amount of childhood memory could replace seeing these armours as an adult.

Colonel Mustard

Kneeling by the tattered arcane remnants of his ward, Yuluman peered close at the faint remnants of the magic. Whatever had broken them had done so had to have been powerful to have noticed the cave and seen through the illusion spells, even though they were still fresh and raw.

The disruption could have only happened in the last few hours, and whoever had done so was clearly powerful enough to be treated with caution. Yuluman raised his shield and readied his mace, rainwater dripping off the barbed and sharp metal of its head, and stepped into the cavern.

Within, the cave was dark and cool, water pooling on its floor. He ignored this, heading towards where he knew the spring was, near an old tomb that some unknown undertaker had carved.

There was a figure standing among the slabs, on top of which ancient suits of armour rested and rusted. There was the faint, almost imperceptible scent of brimstone in the air, and that was enough for Yuluman to guess at the intruder's demonic nature; no doubt they were here from the ring, something which Yuluman could not allow.

"Intruder," he said, gesturing with his scrap mace towards the demon, or half-demon, or whatever it was. "This place is not meant to be disturbed. I bid you to leave now, to go somewhere that you are permitted. This cavern is under my protection, and entrance is prohibited."

Brisinger987

"What would an angel hide in a cavern like this. A ring perhaps?" Kirnardaz rolled the ring around in his hand. He could see magic energy, and the ring reeked of it. It was clearly a powerful artefact, and one of his slaves had died picking it out of the lake for him.

"Goblins are very reliable scavengers, they will make use of this place as a breeding ground, to breed like the insects they are, living out their scrawny little lives. Care to tell me what this ring does?" Kirnardaz refused to put it on until he knew he could use it. If it was enchanted, it may well paralyse him with holy magic.

"But note that I have no quarrel with you... Yet..."

Colonel Mustard

The demon had the ring, and that was something Yuluman could not allow; letting a being like that leave with the power of the ring's spirit at its command would be an unacceptable failure.

"I do not believe I am under any obligation to inform you of that ring's purpose, demon," Yuluman said. "But that ring is under my protection, and I cannot allow you take it. Return it to its rightful place, and I, too, will have no quarrel with you."

Yuluman suspected that the demon would not simply cooperate and hand it back, but it was worth trying; the angel's powers were mainly confined to concealment and deception, and he knew that if it came to violence, any fight with this demon would be a difficult one. But he would not simply surrender the ring, not if he had some chance of keeping it from the wrong hands.

Brisinger987

The angel wasn't giving up. Not now, not ever.

"Let's see what it does..." Kirnardaz toyed with the angel, as was his fun. No angel would stop him taking what he wanted.

He looked at the ring, that little gold band, the intricate daemonic language weaving round the band, the power humming to Kirnardaz.

Then he put it on.

((OOC: It's your ring, you choose what you do with it, what sort of magic it holds))

Colonel Mustard

Sensing the presence of a wearer, the spirit within the ring stirred. Restless, enraged at the interruption and quite mad from centuries of isolation, it let out a silent roar of fury and turned upon this thing that would have the gall to command it. Before the binding spells that would put it under the wearer's control could turn into motion, the elemental spirit, a being of fire, lashed out at whoever this upstart was with a burst of might and flame and rage, trying to force itself off the finger that wore it at the same moment, before it could be controlled by the wearer.

Brisinger987

Kirnardaz felt the fire and laughed. The soul of a demon prince would not be easily supressed. Kirnardaz fought the spirit for control, the minor fragments of his mind that were going insane making it harder to fight, and his immunity to fire making the spirit's attempts at harm all but meaningless. A demon prince was born to control and dominate. It was in their nature.

Colonel Mustard

Yuluman saw the demon prince's face crease in concentration as he fought to control the power of the spirit in the ring. That was his opening.

As the demon tried to control the fire elemental, Yuluman darted forwards and swung his mace in a sideways arc at the demon's head, hoping to end the conflict with a single, decisive blow while he could.

Brisinger987

In a burst of flame, Kirnardaz finally gained control. The orb of flame expanded at blinding speeds, the flames rushing at Yuluman.

"MORE POWER!!" The demon's armour and swords conjured, the demon literally being made of flame. He had done more than worn the elemental spirit. He had crushed it's soul.

((OOC: Demons do that))

Colonel Mustard

(OOC: Well...crap)

Yuluman staggered back as the demon's form exploded with a blast of flame and raw force, raising his shield in time to catch the brunt of the blow. The ancient suits of armour within the tomb were scattered across the floor, much of the metal bent and twisted out of shape by the heat and fury of the attack.

Spreading his wings of rag and paper wide, Yuluman gave a downbeat and powered himself forwards into a strike of meteoric force, lunging towards the demon with mace raised and ready to smash and hammer the creature into oblivion.

Brisinger987

Kirnardaz simply stood there, and a black blur intercepted Yuluman on the way to attack, tackling him with ferocious snarls and growls.

"YOU WANT TO HURT KIRNARDAZ-MASTER, WE KILL YOU FIRST!" Skalos' teeth and claws were but blurs in the air.

Colonel Mustard

Yuluman cursed as a snarling, shrieking abomination of shadow and claws hit him from the flank, slashing and tearing with feral fury. Gashes were ripped into his form, the wounds leaking silvery vapour, and he shoved it way from his with his shield with a grunt of pained effort. Before the creature could regain its footing, he swing his mace at it, the head of the holy weapon crunching into its side.

Sensing the power of the ring diminish and the might of the demon before him grow, Yuluman backed towards the entrance of the cave as he realised his enemy had absorbed the power. This was a battle he had already lost, but at the very least he would try and banish this demon back to its realm.

"Demon," he challenged. The words were a distraction, as he extended his power towards the chunks of twisted and scrapped armour debris that now littered the tomb's floor, useless to anyone but himself, subtly imbuing it with holy power. "Before this is over, I would know your name."

Brisinger987

"Kirnardaz. And yours?" Kirnardaz knew that being sent back meant nothing. He could come back. He was the master of his realm.

"Besides, you would banish a Demon Prince? Angel, you are mistaken."

Colonel Mustard

"I am Yuluman," the angel replied. "Keeper of lost and forgotten things. It my duty to keep individuals like you away from places where you are not welcome."

Among his kind, Yuluman was weak, his sphere of influence viewed as insignificant and unimportant. But he was not completely devoid of power; that which was weak gave him strength, as paradoxical a concept as that was. Amongst the unwanted, broken and useless, he was mighty.

"Now," Yuluman said. "Perhaps I have failed in my duty this day, but I will still have some measure of vindication. Return whence you came!"

He dropped all the hidden currents of holy power he had been channelling into the twisted armour and broken weapons, and with a wave of his arms they rose in a whirling storm of scrap, empowered with holy energy, which Yulumen sent as a ferrous tornado towards Kirnardaz.

Brisinger987

"Yuluman, just think of all the power you could have..." Kirnardaz used the recently crushed soul's energy to bat the tornado aside with one of fire.

"Come with me, see what the world is like when you aren't protecting trinkets and toys. See what the world is like when you fall. Fall from grace and join me. Or watch the world burn." Kirnardaz summoned an image of the globe, the whole world, and set it on fire. It was pretty to him.

"Or stay as you are, remain the forgotten angel, the angel of nothing. Remain powerless." Kirnardaz sent a spew of flame at the angel from where he stood.

Colonel Mustard

A downbeat of his wings carried Yuluman out of the path of Kirnardaz's flame, the wind knocking the heat and force away from him.

"An alliance with you?" he asked. "I think I already know you well enough to be sure that you cannot be trusted. Allying with you would only end in betrayal."

He glanced at the image of the burning globe, and shrugged.

"I do not fear your flames," he continued. "And besides, someone must look after the small things in the world. If not I, then who else will do such a thing?"

Brisinger987

"The gods need to learn to care for the world, not have their angels do it for them. They need to become independent, as do angels. To fall is the best way to become free of the gods. I am not to be trusted, as I shouldn't, but I am not interested in allegiances." Kirnardaz frowned.

"Temptation would not exist if it was wrong...."

Colonel Mustard

"And responsibility would not exist if it was unnecessary," Yuluman replied. "If all thought as you did, the world would simply fall apart. I have no interest in such a thing coming to be; I know my duties and I know that I am needed, however much you may wish to sneer and preen like some strutting peacock."

Brisinger987

"Fine. Keep your virtues. And watch this world crumble in the face of sin." Kirnardaz flourished both swords, growling.

"Die with the humans..."