Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Monster Mayhem! (Listen, Beastie!)

Started by Paradox, August 08, 2013, 03:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Preface: This thread is open upon request. Please PM me if you're interested!

The story takes place during the pre-war years of the Connlaothian Civil War and well after the Tower of Uthlyn Plot and the thread Lady of the Books.Please read their respective plotting threads (which I've linked here for you) for further details on the aforementioned events.

And now, begins our tale...

Since the days of the offensively massive pests had come to an end, things had not quite gone the way that Urtok had expected them to. While the people of Languish had indeed been quite relieved to find that they would no longer be beleaguered by rats the size of full-grown crocodiles or pigeons the size of an Albatross, none of them believed that the bugbear had anything to do with it. No, instead they went on fawning all over some fraud named Ansgar? What the heck was up with THAT!? Ansgar, really? Why was that jerk trying to steal his thunder? Well, whatever. He supposed he couldn't blame the guy. Were he not himself, he'd totally be envious and want to try and take credit for his awesomeness too.

Unfortunately, there was to be no hero's welcome upon arriving home,  no parades or celebrations of any sort, no dashing bugbear statues made in his handsome image, no bards to sing of his heroics, but perhaps the very worst thing of them all...there would be no idolizing of his overwhelming awesomeness.  No. Instead, the silly humans did all of these things for that phony! Good grief! The jerk already had churches and monuments erected in his name for like...no good reason Urtok could think of and now he was after Urtok's reputation as well? Seriously, Ansgar was a brazen glory hog!

Nothing had gone the way he expected it to. In fact, aside from all the incredibly obnoxious Ansgar exalting, life had gone back to the way it was before his grand adventure in Uthlyn had occurred. Well, it ALMOST went back to normal...for everyone except the bugbear himself. He had returned to his cave- or tried to only to find that he had somehow been evicted while he was away. He honestly had no idea how that worked, but the eviction notice had read that he'd been delinquent with rent- wait. What? Rent ? Since when had he been supposed to pay for THAT? He really had no clue, but the troll who read the eviction notice for him said it was all very official and was a nice guy. Even gave him some home-made spider web candy. 

But now Urtok faced quite a dilemma. He no longer had a home and without a cave, he couldn't be a proper monster! He needed a new pad and fast! But he wasn't sure where to look. He'd been living in his cave FOREVER – which was as long as he could remember! Where would he go now? He sought out other caves within the area but there were no vacancies.

He dreaded it, but he had no choice. Sighing , he made his way to the local inn, The Lazy Leaf.  The owner of the establishment, Mister Birch, looked up when he heard the bell door ring. He tried not to get his hopes too high (like he always did) , but he was eager to see if a wealthy stranger might be dropping in to- his face fell when he saw who it was.

"You might wanna make the door bigger, Mister Birch, "the bugbear grunted as he squeezed his way inside, ducking his head and sucking in his great belly, "It's not very monster-friendly and I think you're missing out on some really great financial opportunities here. "

Edward Birch rolled his eyes, but never had the audacity to do so when Urtok was listening. Even if the bugbear was an imbecile, he was a sensitive one and still quite dangerous when incensed. Urtok could easily break him in half if he had the mind to do it and he honestly did not know why the mayor tolerated him. After all, this monster was probably part of the reason why outsiders avoided Languish and why his business suffered,  "Oh really?" He inquired, not really caring to know the answer , but humoring the stupid creature. It wasn't wise to ignore the bugbear, for whenever he grew bored, he tried to entertain himself which usually entailed him breaking something.
Urtok finished wiggling through the door and lumbered up to the front check-in counter that Mister Birch suddenly busied himself with dusting off.

The human tried to ignore the stench. Urtok was always smelling like  wet dog that had rolled around in week old garbage. "Yeah. You know, with monsters. Mostly bugbears like me. I mean, there aren't enough caves or bridges to go around for all of us and not all of my kind wanna do things the old-fashioned way like , you know, slaughtering humans and crunching their bones and drinking their bodily fluids and-"

"I get the point, "Birch told him abruptly, "so you're suggesting that you think I should let other bugbears stay here? "

Urtok nodded enthusiastically, glad that the man understood, "Exactly. There are a LOT of monsters here in Hellvion and not many places for them to go when they're homeless so I thought- "

Birch sighed and did not look up from his rigorous counter-cleansing, " And how would I or the people of Languish stand to benefit from allowing such a thing? No offense, Urtok, but you're not exactly all that...monster-like. "
"What a racist thing to say!"

"Well, it's true. Most bugbears in your place would have killed or eat- "
"Okay, fine! You're seriously missing out on some killer profits , but I won't argue with you. But uh... would you do business with me, then?"
Birch stopped and looked up, " You want to rent a room? What about your cave?"

Urtok shifted uncomfortably on his feet, " It's still there , "he said after a moment and then added hastily, "and it's still mine. I didn't get kicked out or anything lame like that." He laughed nervously, confident that the man would believe his words because he was Urtok Pigeonstomper, the most charming and handsomest bugbear in all of Connlaoth. If he had a mirror to look at himself now, he'd be charmed by himself too! 

Silence. Birch stared at him incredulously and for a moment the poor old innkeeper's mind stumbled over the concept of having a monster for a tenant, "Right. Um...well, I have plenty of vacancies , but I won't let you stay here without paying a gold a night. "

Urtok scoffed, "Pffft! That's it?" The bugbear reached down and pulled a coin purse free of the belt he wore around his enormous waist. Had no one seen him do such, they never would have supposed that there was ,in fact, a belt beneath that grand belly roll of his. He pulled the string of the coin purse open, plucked out a gold piece and tossed it to the man. "There ya go! One gold! I counted it myself. I know how to count , you know. Pretty cool, huh? I bet you're jealous. "

Birch caught the gold piece and stared at it. It wasn't much, but it was the first gold piece he'd seen in a month and by the size of Urtok's coin purse...he imagined there could be a whole lot more! What did he care if Urtok was a monster? This was a REAL paying customer! One that would probably stay longer than most. Birch couldn't say no to making some coin. "Very well, Mister Pigeonstomper. Your room is number two-"

"What? I want number one!" The bugbear whined. "That's the AWESOME number. Losers get all the numbers after it. "

Birch sighed, "I'm sorry but number one is taken by...someone and we do not disturb him. Ever. Room number two is much nicer anyways. It's far more spacious and has a much larger bed and a view of ...corn fields. You like those."

Urtok stamped his foot, "Can't you just tell him how awesome I am and make him move? I'm sure he'll understand."

"...No. I cannot and I seriously doubt that he would, but how about this? How about I take the numbers off the door and switch them so the room to your door reads like it's number one? "

Urtok grinned, "You're a genius!" Yes. He quite liked this idea very much! 

Closing: @ Beastie , Oh God...I am SO sorry about how long this took as long as it did,  but I DID warn you did I not? I WARNED you that I am HORRIBLE with openings! That said, you don't need to make your first post an interaction with mine. You don't even need to be in Languish if you don't want to. I can figure a way to force Urtok wherever he's needed. xD

This IS going somewhere eventually, but my post was getting to be too long and so I forced myself to quit. Please let me know if something needs changing or if you have ideas! I am perfectly open to rewriting something that'll work out better for you. All I ask is for help in figuring out what that is!

Quick reference information:
Setting is Languish, a small farming town located on the outskirts of Hellvion, Connlaoth. The people there are not very bright and quite accustomed to dealing with bizarre things, like Urtok. :/

Listenbeastie

"...And once th' time's passed et'll start t' crystallize. Takes abou' thir'y days, I think, t' farm foive pounds of the stuff in 'un cave. The trouble o' it s'that once that's done y' 'ave to 'andle et ca'efully. Tha's where th' scroll an' leather gloves come in!

S'ya make sure to wrap it up in th' scroll once ye've broken et down a bit. Leave et out fer... ten minutes? Then you can carry et with ye wherevuh. Make sure y' need it when y' open the scroll next, that's the only time y' can harvest it. You get growths iffin y' try t' pick some wi'out lettin' it sit in the sun."

"Yeah, but... what're the crystals used for?"

"Local? Y' can grow 'em in places where pests are an' it'll drive'em out. Iffin you make et into a powduh et can substitute gunpowduh and clean dryin' clothes more thoroughly- but remembuh 's only supplement'ry when usin' on clothes! You can't dry yer things insoide and not expect et'll at least ge' itchy. Outsoide, though? I hear et's a reagent fer certain rituals. Personally, oi don't know a wit about 'ow its used bu' iffin y' foind 'nough t' farm th' business is pretty lucrative."

Jon stared at the strange man for a few seconds, idly shuffling his deck of cards in his lap. He was a simple farmer, short and tan from the hours of labor under the sun. This stranger was like nothing he'd ever run into before. That was saying something, considering they sat in Languish. The fellow introduced himself as 'Tho', rambled a bit about animals and then told him about the uses of something he'd never even heard of before.

That's what he got for being polite enough to ask a simple question.

"Well, sure, but... certainly not around here, right?"

"Mmmno. Bu' there's quite a few hidd'n places loaded wi' the stuff in Connlaoth. Th' best part is that noneuh th' rich people have a blasted clue about what they 'ave!" Tho clapped once, grinning beneath his ridiculous mustache. "Now oi won' be holdin' y' anymo'! Go on! 'ave a goodun!"

With a rough pat on the shoulder the eccentric blonde sent the farmer off. He was only able to utter an awkward, "Ye-- thanks?--" before he was outside the inn.

The man returned to quietly inspecting a quill in his hands, settling in one of the corners of the first floor.

_____

The door slammed shut behind the farmer, causing him to flinch. The hand holding the deck opened, scattering the cards to the wind. As he scrambled to catch them so too did a stranger nearby. It was hardly his concern what this individual wanted to do with what they caught in the moment, as his own attention was drawn away to a specific card flying away more quickly than the others. The wind had picked up, guiding it behind a cart nearby.

With an awkward stagger Jon rose to his feet and bolted after the object, taking painfully long seconds to move around the cart and leap, catching it between his thumb and index finger.

He hit the ground with a loud, "Oof!" and rolled slowly onto his side as the pain from the fall began to set in. "I'm gettin' too old fer this..." Despite the fact that you're in your twenties.

Before the discomfort subsided he got up, catching a few more cards on the way back to the entrance. When there were no more stray items in sight Jon turned his attention to the stranger nearby; now leaning casually against the wall, humming contentedly and holding at least half of the deck in a hand.

"Say, thanks, stranguh!" Jon started, approaching casually but at a solid pace. "Have't'ave gotten anothuh deck without yer help. Caravans are rare around 'ere." He extended his arm for the exchange but the newcomer hesitated. For a few seconds their eyes locked, sending a chill up the farmer's spine and unnerving him. It lasted for at least five seconds before the other man returned a smile that had all but fallen off of Jon's face.

"Yeah! Yeah... Sorry, you looked a little familiar, is all. No problem, friend! Here!" The farmer felt the cards being placed in his hand, a gesture which shook him from a frozen, uncertain grimace.

"...Odd stranguhs, droppin' in from all about the world, eh?" He mumbled, smirking awkwardly. "Y'can't be from about this place. S'at yer hat on th' ground there?" Jon pointed in the direction  of a worn gray hat sitting upside down in the dirt.

"Why, yes! I'm a uh... troubadour."

"Troubadour...?"

"Yes! I travel and I sing. I'm on my way to meeting others like me about Athervann! From the looks of this town, there aren't many interested in the arts... but I'll tell you what. A few coins and I'll sing for you." The stranger finished returning the cards but continued to smile.

His statement caused something to click in Jon's mind. The reason he was in town in the first place was to buy some food items for a celebration taking place that evening. The farmer perked up, blurting out, "Wot about somethin' better? How long y' plannin' t' stay, stranguh?"

"Well, I was going to head out pretty soon but I'm in no rush. What do you have in mind, friend?"

"Well, iffin' you sing somethin' fer me now, short like, I coul' pay y' roight good t' perform fer m' family later on! We're celebratin'!"

"Oh? What for?"

"Few thin's, mostly. Belated celebratin' fer our new Grand Duke-- though tha's mostly jus' an excuse, we don' care all too much so lon' as he don't screw up big time-- m' anniversary w' my wife, an' th' health o' our little angel Keilu! She was 'avin' a rough toime with sickness but she's on'er way t' recovery!" Jon lifted his arms into the air, "Issa merry day!"

As he finished his explanation the sound of hooves treading came into earshot. Down the road a small group of armor-clad men rode on horses. They occasionally exchanged orders, searching for something in little Languish.

The stranger kept an eye on the men while responding. "I can do that, easy. Have a preference? I know... most of the pub songs that float about Connlaoth."

"Somethin' short, Iunno... How abou' 'Lou the Giver'?"

"Of course! That's one of my favorites!" The man cleared his throat, taking a deep breath before beginning to sing the lyrics. His voice was smooth and clear enough to follow to be appealing (while not being so great as, say, an astounding opera singer.)

Meanwhile the soldiers on horses watched him, most passing by while a particularly old fellow not wearing a helmet paused to listen.

_____

((Toooootally going to put lyrics here. I'm just making this up... all of it. Regardless, you can reply now.))

Paradox

Once the great room number crisis had been solved, Urtok happily moved into his room. Unfortunately, he was back outside at the front desk complaining to Mister Birch once more, "You call THAT a room?"

Birch sighed wearily and covered his face with a hand, "What's wrong now, Urtok? "

"It's too small! I don't even fit on the bed! And what are THESE!?" He held up a bar of soap.

"That's a bar of soap, "Birch wrinkled his nose, "and trust, me on this one. You SHOULD use it." 

"No way! It smells terrible!" Urtok tossed it over his shoulder. It struck a passing cleaning lady in the head and knocked her unconscious. The unconscious maid's body toppled over onto a sleeping cat and, well, all hell broke loose from there! Naturally, neither the bugbear nor the innkeeper paid the poor, screaming maid and cat any mind as they continued their conversation.   

"Really, Mister Birch, it's not brain science why you don't get many customers here. With tiny beds and soap? It costs a GOLD a night? Highway robbery, I tell ya. "

"You're more than welcome to take your money back and leave."

Urtok considered this, but no alternatives seemed to appeal to him.

However, he didn't want to admit he had no other place to go so he changed the subject, "Where's the quest board?"

Birch blinked, "Sorry. The what?"

"You know, the quest board. " Seeing the man stare at him confused, Urtok sighed and proceeded to explain, " It's a thingy that people post stuff they want other people to do for them in exchange for money. If I'm gonna be staying here for...awhile...then I need to make more gold so..."
"You're looking for work?"

"Yeah, " Urtok began then made a face, "I mean, no! Not WORK. Work is for losers. I'm looking for quests."

The innkeeper shrugged, "Same difference."

"No,"Urtok corrected," Quests are awesome because there's treasure and fun in them. Work is boring and hard."

"..."

A long silence passed between them, " Well, Miss Goodie Baker mentioned needing help with making pies during the last session at church. Maybe-"
"Sweet! Thanks!" Urtok didn't wait to hear the rest and ran out the door. On his way out of the inn, he passed a singing man and nearly knocked him over. " Watch where you're yodeling!" Urtok exclaimed as he passed.

Completely oblivious to pretty much everything but his current objective, Urtok rushed off to Goodie's , not taking a single notice to the armored men who CERTAINLY noticed him and stared with jaws agape. One of the armored fellows turned to another and said, " That was the biggest , ugliest cat I've ever seen!"

~

Goodie Baker lived in the town's center, right next to the local church. The church itself was enormous and took up most of town square (which wasn't particularly impressive in comparison , perhaps, with other towns but for a town of its minuscule size it was quite grand ) appeared as though it was worth more than the entire town and its priests and bishop wore attire that , if sold , would likely yield a profit that could feed all the families in town for an entire year. The ONLY intelligent mind in Languish had pointed this out once and was quietly persuaded with a generous "donation" the next day behind closed doors. And the only intelligent mind in Languish never brought up this point again.

Unfortunately ,hardly anyone attended sessions regularly because people were much too busy "working " which really meant that they'd much rather loaf around all day, drink copious amounts of honey ale gossip about rumors they'd heard leak their way from Uthlyn and eat Goodie Baker's pies. Unfortunately, there was such a high demand for the pies and no one other than Goodie herself to make them .

So when Urtok came into her home , Goodie informed him, "Sorry dearie, but I'm all out of pie, I'm afraid."

"Mister Birch said you were looking for help..."

Ooc: Crappy post. I'm in a crap mood lately. I sincerely apologize. I'll add more later if you'd like. Just PM me to let me know if that's the case. Thanks!

Listenbeastie

"What a doddy!" Jon swore as the cards scattered again. The horses the men rode shifted and whinnied nervously in the bugbear's wake while the soldiers all tried to calm them. Unfortunately for the farmer, some of the cards had already been trampled by the time he reached them.

The stranger just moved to collect those nearest to him again, not seeming particularly fazed at the monster's interruption. As a matter of fact, while the others were still looking away his shoulders shook with barely contained laughter.

"What a thing for him to do! I saw the fellow enter but I didn't think he'd exit so soon!"

"That was the biggest, ugliest cat I've ever seen!"

By then the man with the hat simply couldn't contain it anymore. After a few seconds of recovering cards, Jon began to cuss beneath his breath again.

"...You're a special kind of stupid, you know that, Steve?" The other soldier responded.

_____

As the conversation between the baker and the bugbear began a local spider began to climb up the side of her clothes, catching onto her apron and trailing along it for a small while before disappearing somewhere on her back. It moved just slowly to be hard to notice but its dark exoskeleton against the white was easy to see.

((Its all cool, bro. Take your time.))

Paradox

"Did he?" Goodie wiped the sweat from her brow.

Urtok nodded, "Yep. I need to make some money. I wanted to see what sleeping in an inn was like since I got evicted from my cave by a troll."

"Oh dearie. That's dreadful, but yes. I could use help making pies for tonight's festivities. Come with me –" She placed a hand on his hairy arm and started to guide him away.

"WOAH!" He gasped and pointed a claw at her shoulder.

"What is it , dearie?"

"Turn around! Quick!"

"What?"

"DO IT!"

Utterly confused , but also concerned the poor old woman turned around and exposed her back to the bugbear.

Urtok's eyes locked on the eight-legged menace. "Thought you'd be sneaky, did you? HIYAH!" He brought his hand down and karate-chopped poor Goodie's back. As long as he killed the spider,that was all that mattered in that moment.

Ooc: Sometimes I do terrible things to NPCs. Such terrible things.