Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pre-Ball Shenanigans with the Treyburns!

Started by Ivory, October 29, 2013, 03:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zozee9

Illi simply tuned out Janette. She subconsciously noticed the girl approaching and somewhere in her head probably heard the words, but none of it went to the front of her head. So she just kept reading, unaware that anything had happened.

Riley, however, caught her attention. Looking up from her book and admiring her costume, she responded, "Riley! I didn't notice that you came!" She leaned a little towards him and quietly responded, "If only that was a bear growl... we all know that your uncle is one stinky man."

Laughing, she handed the book to him so that he could take a look at it. "It's a romance book, as you probably could have suspected. About this knight who wants to marry this princess, but she's engaged to a prince. Who just so happens to be his leader. In order to win her hand in marriage, he has to become royal. So he starts to hatch this plan to become the prince of his own country! It's great, I promise. Ah, but enough about that. I want to hear about you!"

Removing herself from the wall, Illi moved so that she was in front of Riley. Then she looked his outfit up and down, and paid particular attention to the mask. He was a falcon—something that she was willing to bet he wasn't too excited about.

"Hmm..." she said, as if she were debating what his costume was of. "Let me guess... you are a cursed dragon! You defeated an evil witch who had been terrorizing this village, but she had placed a spell on her that made it so whoever killed her would be turned into a falcon. That curse would only be broken when he whom ended her life finally got a kiss from the perfect girl." She paused before adding, "Oh wait, you're too young to be kissing girls! Fooling me with that handsome appearance of yours!"
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Vivi

[Leaping in to introduce Oscar. Don't mind me!]

Oscar could hear the bickering before he even rang the bell, and he couldn't help but chuckle. He visited this house little, and with every months-long gap he wondered at how it became both less familiar and more imposing. None of it felt especially welcoming with all the thoughtlessness and snobbery steeped into the walls, but the bickering? That was home. That was ten children running wild, together as they... well, as they'd never really been, considering their ages and the Jana incident. But it had been close to it, and by the sounds of that racket, this evening was going to be rather close too. A whole menagerie of Treyburns, all dressed to the nines and off to a ball!

Not that he'd wanted to go to one. When he'd been sent the invitation, Oscar was ready to push it to the side and spend another solitary night with his telescope. His mother though, had anticipated him: You simply cannot think that you will be allowed to languish at that college while the future of your family hangs in the balance. She had written, melodramatic as ever. Your brothers first public appearance as Lord is of the utmost importance; you cannot leave us incomplete on such an evening. What would your father say?

Oscar knew all too well what his father would have said, and none of it was like to be pleasant. However, while his father might have been a stranger (a late lamented stranger now), his mother's dramatic manipulations still struck a chord more often than not. Three letters and a lot of passive-aggression later, and here he stood, pulling the bell to his childhood home in a silly costume, his stomach all tied up in knots - though whether it was nerves or excitement, he was never sure.

Typically, none of them noticed, even as the butler moved to let him in, stepping into the entrance hall with his customary quiet tread. What siblings there were all chattering around the stairs, and at the sight of them had a warm and irrepressibly fond smile pulling at the corners of his mouth. It felt like so much longer since he'd last seen them, especially all together like this.

"Oh, but my dear siblings haven't changed one bit." He called by way of hello, his smile widening to encompass all of them. "Am I that late? Have I missed the big argument?"

Paradox

"Oscar? Is that you?" Braxton stomped down the stairs, looking every bit as much appropriate in the bear costume that he was wearing. He tackled his younger brother and crushed the poor soul in his embrace which was also rather bear-like. Fortunately, it was a brief embrace and Brax stepped back grinning wolfishly, "So, Ma pulled her usual guilt trip and get you to show up, eh?" He smirked.If anyone knew how manipulative mother was, it was Braxton. She'd been making him feel like shit since the day he'd been born and never seemed to let up! He slapped a hand on the younger man's back ," Good to see you again, little brother."

((Sorry. Tis short, but I don't want to make you folks wait any longer!))

Ivory

(New Round!)

"If she hadn't, I certainly would have," a smartly-dressed fellow added from the doorway, having arrived just moments after Oscar.  Trevian had chosen to come as a playing card -- the jack of hearts, naturally.  The ensemble was colorful, featuring a feathered red cap sat at a jaunty angle on his head, a matching red and white square tabard with hearts and J's in the corners worn above a ridiculously froofy outfit that seemed a fair imitation of the design on the card.  Any hugs -- from Brax or otherwise -- were, however, waylaid by a pair of extended hands, a cheeky laugh, and Trevian's usual winning smile.  "The night is far too young for a wrinkled outfit."

Redly had been pouting -- but little could keep him down for long.  Oscar, followed immediately by Trevian, returned his grin to his face, and he stepped forward to greet them both with handshakes, rather than the bear hugs they were getting from Brax.  No one could top those!  "You did miss a bit, but I'm sure it'll pick up again in just a moment," the eldest Treyburn muttered confidentially with a wink of his one eye.  "Trevian, really?  The Jack of Hearts?"

Recognizing Redly's tone for teasing, Trevian laughed cheerfully.  "I know, I know.  I thought the King too grand, and this is really the wrong crowd to play the Queen.  The Ace is too lonely, the two too suggestive, and the three -- well, it's just an ugly number, isn't it?  Four is too even and five too odd..."

"You've really thought this out, haven't you?" Redly groaned.

~*~*~

Upstairs, Cherie was all too happy to help complete her sister's outfit.  She approached with an almost shyness -- pretty dresses, ribbons and balls were certainly something she had always longed for and never quite been able to grasp, although they were made available aplenty by their mother.  Dahlia's instructions were followed carefully, so as to ensure nothing untoward happened to her sister's lovely outfit on her big night.

Cherie's face turned a light shade of pink, and she laughed softly.  "You sound exactly like Mother!"  Hopefully, by design, not by accident.  She couldn't stand the thought of Dahlia becoming like that shrew!

"Shouldn't I let Illi find her prince before I look for mine?" she asked evasively.  "And even Janette..."  Although Angsar knew that wasn't likely to happen very soon!

Brisinger987

Janette was about to pay attention to Oscar, but Trevian drew her attention away rapidly. Riley had left her alone, Illi was stuck in a book, Cherie and Dahlia were playing dress up (or that was Janette's opinion) and Braxton was probably still seething over the snake incident.

Braxton it was then.

"Sssssssssss....." Janette put her hood up, and her mask on, walking over to Braxton, her hissing progressively getting louder, until she got behind him and jabbed him in the sides.

"Hey Braxy-boy!" She jumped back, ready for the flurry of angry comments about Megraph, annoying him, and other such things. "Did you and you wife like the present I gave you?" She smirked mischievously, still feeling like she wanted to be trouble today.

"SSSS!" She laughed at Braxton, more than happy to openly mock her older brother.

kleineklementine

Dahlia laughed, grinning into the mirror. "Well, I certainly hope you know I'm teasing whenever I sound like our mother!"

Dahlia adjusted the bodice a little when all the buttons were fastened and picked up a handful of black feathers on a nearby table. Her blonde curls were already contained in an up-do, and turning, to face Cherie, she began blindly (but adeptly) adorning them with the feathers.

"But in all seriousness, Cherie," she told her little sister with a soft look in her grey eyes, "if you do 'find your prince' at this ball or wherever, don't wait for anyone. Follow your heart and grab him. Not too many women in our position get to marry someone they really like. If you find someone and hold off in favor of your sisters, or anyone, you might lose him and end up married to an old bore. We only have one life, you know."

"And anyway," she pulled a face, "if you wait for Janette to settle down, you'll die an old maid!"

--

Riley listened attentively to to Jillian as she described the book. He liked Jillian. Though he officially didn't have favorites, Jillian was his favorite. "Can I borrow it when you're done?"

He folded his arms, though, and frowned at her when she went on about how he must be a dragon. He frowned because: one, he was obviously not a dragon, he was covered in feathers!; two, he didn't find dragons interesting at all; and three, everyone knew he was interested in falcons.

"No," he answered in a huff (but a playful one), "I'm a falcon and I think you know that, Illi."

Vivi

[Sorry about the wait! For some stupid reason I thought there was someone in the queue ahead of me.]

"Who else would it be?" Oscar grinned, lifting his mask to show it off better. Not that he needed to provide this proof: Braxton was already barrelling down the stairs, and automatically Oscar braced himself for impact. It never truly worked, right from when he'd been a boy, but at least he knew enough to keep from staggering backwards under the weight of his bear hug. His mask slipped back down crooked, and for a moment he was unable to see or breathe as his brother squeezed the wind out of him. Nevertheless he laughed, wrapping his far skinnier arms as far around his broad back as he could manage before they broke apart, fixing his mask with a shrug and a twinkle in the eye. "Yes, mother worked her magic as usual... but how could I pass up a chance to see my big brother?"

All his siblings, actually. Two more of his brothers approached before long, and he responded with a handshake for Redly and a cheery wave for dear Trevian, who was already waxing lyrical about his costume whether they wanted to listen to him or not. Not far away, Janette had decided to join in and torment Braxton some more, something that had Oscar smirking. "Good Lord, Janette, you're sticking to character aren't you?" He laughed, raising an eyebrow behind his mask. He turned to his eldest brother again, jerking his head towards the display. "Pick up again? Honestly, Redly, I don't think it ever stopped."

And nor will it, he thought wryly, not if Treyburns are involved.

zozee9

OOC: that's 'cause I was... but i totally forgot! D: Good thing you posted! XD

IC:

Illi faked a pout and huffed back at Riley, "You never let me have any fun, Riley." She was about to ruff up his hair before remembering that kids hated it when people did that. So instead she did a little fake punch on his side. "You won't even humor me? Well... I suppose falcons are cooler, anyway." She giggled before glancing up at her troublesome siblings.

Nothing too new seemed to be going on, so she turned back towards Riley.

"And of course you can borrow it! You can borrow any of my books, any time. You know that... and I do read some that have falcons in them, too. Not just dragons." Dragons were definitely a more common theme, though. "Just don't read that book that I've been leaving at your house... not without me, that is!" Whenever she went to visit Riley, she read him parts of her favorite childhood book. Of course, he was old enough to read by himself now, but they had started it long before that was the case. It was their little thing.
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Paradox

Braxton cupped a hand to the bear's ear of his mask and wrinkled his expression as though he were straining to hear her, "Huh? Thought I heard someone talking, but it's just someone takin' a piss in the wind. " He replied humorously.

He turned and looked back up towards the stairs and noted his wife coming down. She , like he, was also wearing a bear theme , "Well, well. Here comes mama bear now. Better hide, Janette because mama looks pissed."

Leanna was , by default, a kindly and compassionate woman but sometimes Janette and her antics brought out the worst in her. "Where is she?" She growled at Braxton the moment she stood by his side.

"Honey, you're in character already!" Braxton laughed and threw his arms around her, "Give papa bear a hug!"

Ivory

(OOC: New round!  Vivi: once a new round is declared, there is no posting order.  Everyone posts once in any order!)

Cherie smiled and fidgeted with a piece of cloth on her dress.  It was getting to be a bad habit, and, knowing Cherie, that little piece would be bunched up and torn off in a burst of nervous energy before long!

"I will.  Trust me, Dahlia.  My prince isn't getting away that easily."

-----

After taking a silent headcount, Trev wondered, "Where are Dahlia and Cherie?  And Florry?"

"Still getting ready.  After that, I think we're pretty much all set.  Ma said she wanted to take a look at all of you together, and then I'll get her upstairs and get her to bed so you can go."  And so Jana could arrive!

Brisinger987

Leanna was amusing to Janette. She wasn't afraid. She didn't care how angry Leanna was, Janette was going to godsdamn enjoy herself today. And tonight, at the ball. Drinks, men, more drinks, more men. That was her ultimatum this evening.

So of course Janette would love to see what happened. She wanted to revel in the reactions. She wanted it.

"Oh, hello my dearest sister-in-law! I trust you had no trouble getting ready? What's the matter? You seem to be feeling rather venomous..." The mocking puns were probably Janette's death sentence, but it just had to happen. She wanted to see Leanna angry. It was one of life's greatest joys in her eyes.

That and seeing nervous men. Braxton was desperate to calm his wife down by the way he was cracking jokes, but Janette desired otherwise.

Paradox

((Alright, I am going to do a small bit of cc here but I feel like Janette has this coming. She can only be permitted to get away with so much, you know?))

The look Leanna shot Janette promised serious bodily injury, which was likely hilarious to Janette given the fact that Lady Treyburn was a whole five inches shorter than her husband. Practically midget-sized next to a giant like Janette.

Braxton turned from his wife and stormed over to Janette, looking every bit like Pa when he was angry. He seized the snake girl by the arm and pulled her sharply aside, " Janette, you're this close to gettin' on my bad side and you don't want to go there tonight. I've tolerated your behavior because I think you're amusing, but you need to know where to draw the line or there will be consequences that even I can't protect you from. Are we clear? " He tried to meet her eyes. 

Vivi

Oscar grimaced at the fury on his sister-in-laws face, sincerely hoping that she'd have the wisdom to give up before Leanna reduced the amount of siblings he had. True to form, she didn't, rather Braxton did it for her, dragging her to one side and muttering words he couldn't hear. Probably a wise move: one of these days dear Janette was going to pick on someone not nearly as lenient.

"Were we to call mother?" He asked Redly and Trevian in an undertone. "Or have we been given a time limit? If Janette's sulking, she might comment and make it worse."

kleineklementine

Dahlia finished placing the feathers in her hair and smiled at Cherie. How had she grown up so fast? It seemed like just yesterday that Cherie had turned sixteen. Of course, Dahlia probably had not been the most attentive sister in the last few years.

Well, there was no going back and doing it over now. She would just have to start doing better.

Rather than remark on any of this to Cherie, though, she simply smiled wryly at her. "Your dress isn't going to last the night if you keep fussing it like that, you know. Come on, shall we go back down? Find out what kind of trouble everyone will be getting themselves into tonight?"

---

Downstairs, Riley promised to Jillian that he wouldn't read ahead in their book without her. But before he could keep up the conversation about books, Janette began provoking Leanna, earning herself a rather harsh rebuff from Braxton. Riley pulled a face. It was starting already...

He looked up at Jillian earnestly. "Promise me that at least you won't do anything too silly tonight, okay, Illi?"

Looshi

Florry didn't quite know what to do with himself. Ever since he had heard of the ball the Grand Duke was planning on hosting, he had been a ball of nerves. It meant he would have to act like a nobleman. Dress in terrible clothing, force smiles for people he didn't like - or when he couldn't answer a question. In the days before the ball, he had taken out his frustration in the forge, feeling the heat of the iron on his skin, and the sweat bead down his forehead and soak in his hair. His master said it was his best work yet, and teased that she would find other ways to make him nervous. He didn't like the sound of that. The woman could be devious.

For now, Florry stood in front of a mirror in his room, the long reflection not really putting him on his good side. He squinted and turned his head to the side, but no matter what view he took, he looked ridiculous. Or rather apt. Depending on the opinion. His tail fidgeted back and forth out of his control. He didn't look like him. His wild blond hair was brushed back, curling a bit on the ends, his beard was trimmed and he had even washed - gasp - and smelt like fancy soap instead of ash and iron. He didn't like it. Florry wanted to jump out his window, and if he lived, go roll in a puddle of mud like he did as a child in good clothing. At that thought a smile was brought to his face;  a face that was partly hidden by a mask he was forced to wear - it had a feline resemblance - how unsurprising - but the type of cat couldn't be named. It was a cat though. Whiskers and everything. He played with the cuffs of his jacket, the feeling of being stuffed into the backside of a turkey wouldn't leave him.

He swallowed back a lump in his throat and figured he better get his butt out there and with the rest of his family. So he did, and tried to slink into where they were gathered without trying to be noticed. He could taste the tension in the air, and he didn't really have to guess why. It was his family after all.

zozee9

OOC: Thanks to sharkie for reminding me it was my turn again. XD

IC:

Illi smiled at her cute little nephew. "I promise," she replied happily. "And promise me you won't do anything too outrageous? I'm sure my siblings will take care of that."

After a quick pat on the head, she finished, "Now, go spend some time with the others! Even Florry is here finally... well, his costume matches him well." He nailed the tail. "Anyway, you're much more social than me, little falcon. So go be social!"

She took her book back from Riley with another smile and started reading before he could even really respond.

Ivory

(OOC: New round!  I am getting so much practice in counting Treyburns!  I'm fast-forwarding a bit so we can get Jana in!)

"There's no need, darling," Rose answered from the stairs as she surveyed the family.  Naturally, she had to be the last to arrive...  "Look at you all!  Cherie, where are your shoes?"

"Right here," Cherie answered with a sigh.  "Do I really have to wear these?"

"All night."  Rose gave the girl a sharp look, adding to her only sensible daughter, "Dahlia, do make sure your sister leaves her shoes on.  Florry, quit lurking and stand up straight.  Oscar..."  She paused to straighten a sleeve, which, she had determined, wasn't falling quite correctly.  "I'm so glad you're here.  Try to find a nice girl while you're there.  Braxton...  Braxton, where are you?  Oh.  Now, remember what I told you.  You must impress these people.  Try to gain an introduction to the Grand Duke if you can, and be sure to tell him about your command at Ferryton."  She was circling the room as she spoke, apparently picking out children to scold as she came across them.  All the while, she was straightening outfits, adjusted loose strands of hair, and, generally, interfering with their outfits as much as possible.  "Jillian, put that book away!  You're too old to have your head in a book all night, and Trevian...  I thought I told you that you were not to go as a playing card!"  He made a face in her wake and readjusted the hat she had straightened so that it hung slightly to the side.  "And, Janette, behave yourself!  I'll just die if I hear you've been fighting at the ball!" she announced shrilly as she completed her circle, standing halfway up the stairs to better look at them all.  "Redly, get out of the way.  I want to see everybody in their costumes."  The tone directed at Redly was harsh, but her final statement was delivered with a warm and winning smile, in complete contrast to the way she spoke to her eldest son.

Redly was used to it, and he didn't hold it against her; it had been twenty years, after all.  So, instead, he stepped up onto the stairs behind her...just to take a look himself.  And, while Rose was staring at the gathered crowd of Treyburns with something like resignation, Redly looked as proud as though they were his children, one and all.

"I suppose," she sighed heavily with a shake of her head.  "It will do."

"Ma, they look great," Redly corrected with a grin.

"I still think--"

"No, no."  Redly caught his mother's slender shoulders with both of his arms, gently but firmly to stop her from going back down the stairs.  "I think we should let them get going, don't you?  They shouldn't be late."

"That's right," she agreed, giving Redly a somewhat suspicious look but accepting his thoughts on the matter.  "Good night, my darlings.  Make us proud of you.  And I expect several of you to secure spouses at this little party.  Goodness knows, with all these children, you'd think I'd have more than two who bothered to marry.  And..."

Her voice faded as Redly guided her to her bedroom.

zozee9

Illi laughed as her and her siblings got bounced around by Rose. She set her book down by the wall and complied to her mother's demands—after all, the faster this was done, the faster Rose would leave. And that was always a good thing. Plus, she realized, maybe that meant Jana would come soon.

So when she heard the door open, Illi's hopes skyrocketed. It would be the first time she had seen her sister in over a year! Even more exciting, however, was that it would be the first time she'd see her sister in a real dress—ever! Jana would wear peasant women clothes when she visited, sure, but that was nothing compared to the extravagant costumes made for masquerade balls.

She started wondering what that costume might be. A fairy? No, that didn't seem like Jana. But maybe some kind of animal... like a fox or a lion. Something loyal and cunning—that was her sister. Illi's eyes grew wider as she realized that maybe Jana actually had long hair for once, too! After all, it had been a full year. That would be plenty of time for hair to grow out. While Illi loved her sister for breaking the social normalities and being adventurous, she always imagined that Jana would make quite a beautiful lady. And if her sister truly wanted to blend in, as Illi knew she did, the best way to do that would be to look like something no one had ever seen her looking like!

In the midst of her daydreams, a figure stepped out from the hallway and into the gathering place that held all the siblings. And Illi's hope filled eyes changed to depression and then to curiosity.

She didn't recognize the person in front of them.

Glancing over at Florry, who had been placed next to her for height's organization, Illi whispered, "Who's that man, and why is he in our house?" Perhaps he was an escort for someone? Her first guess would be some sort of secret admirer of Dahlia, but that wouldn't make sense. Riley was Dahlia's escort.

Looking the man up and down, Illi wasn't quite sure what to think. He was attractive and surely the topic of many ladies' late night conversations. But she found his costume a bit depressing. Beautiful, but depressing.

He was a fallen angel. A white suit contrasted nicely against his tan skin while his dirt blond hair seemed to be sleeked back with oil—but loosely, so that it really look like he may have taken a fall. Then there were his wings. Exquisitely crafted, they looked as if they could actually belong to an angel. Their pure white surface was only disturbed by splotches of red blood, which added a sense of eeriness to the costume. The red was only matched by the tie and, she noticed, the mask. The mask itself was another set of wings, but this time they were entirely blood colored.

It was lovely, but in a broken way.

She loved it.

Illi just stared, mesmerized, waiting for something to happen. And, after a few moments of silence passed, something did happen.

With a deep bow, the stranger finally spoke. "My name is Ezekiel Carzile. You have probably never heard of me, and tonight is the first night I have officially met any of you." So far, Illi agreed with the stranger. "However, there is a chance that I will make a name for myself in the future. This isn't something that is well known, for it isn't official and may cause a bit of a scandal. I ask you to keep it a secret. If you haven't figured it out already, I am telling you all this due to your relationship with my uncle. After all, he is the reason that I am staying with arriving at the ball with you all."

Illi nodded, thinking his story over. It all seemed logical. Of course, she wasn't quite sure who his uncle was... or what sort of relationship they had with him. It probably was something regarding her parents or one of her older siblings. She wasn't quite sure what she was supposed to do, so instead she waited for one of the others to react.

Vivi

Oscar jumped, hoping silently that his mother hadn't heard too much of what he'd been saying about her - but if she had, she showed no sign of it, descending the stairs as imperious as a queen. Bossy as one too. She went to each of them in turn to pick and prod, ladling out advice and admonitions in equal measure. Oscar nodded, mumbled 'yes mother' and 'no mother' where appropriate, and waited to sigh until she was out of earshot and line of sight. Because really, what were the odds of Oscar involving himself with any women? He'd be lucky if he was even looked at, and he wasn't entirely sad about that either.

He plastered a smile on his face as she took them all in, but it was more reserved for his eldest brother than for her, taking the role of encourager where she did not. Although perhaps that was unfair: she was trying in her own unique fashion, Redly's words just came out a little sweeter - and he was better at cutting her off and sending her away to boot.

That in itself was nothing unusual, Redly was always charming their mother out of further bossing, but what was truly odd was that they were no longer alone. Someone else had joined them, introducing themselves in flamboyant, showy fashion while the assembled Treyburn clan just blinked at them. Oscar certainly didn't know what to make of it: he'd never even heard of an Ezekiel Carzile before today.

"Um... Hello." He remembered his courtesies, nodding politely, but it still didn't stop him from frowning after this odd fellow. "I'm sorry, but... that still doesn't explain why you're, ah, in our house."

[Edited to fit with everyone else's reactions better.]

Looshi

He didn't like to be examined like a toad on a table. Especially not by his mother. Florry's shoulders were tense the entire time she prodded at them, fixing the collar on his jacket, with a thin line that was supposed to be her smile - smile? Who was he thinking his mother was? He breathed a sigh of relief when she moved on to another. He felt sorry for his siblings more than he did for himself. In a way, because of his little quirk - Ahem. The tail. - it was a little more lax on his shoulders. Not many expected much out of him, he doubted his mother expected him to find someone to dance with. - Oh Ansgar, dancing, did he really have to do that? The tail tended to put people off.

When the new person arrived, Florry was in his own little world, and it was only when Illi whispered in his ear, it tickled, did he snap out of his own thoughts. He raised his eyebrows, which couldn't been seen from under the mask. His eyes glanced over the stranger, and his mouth twisted into a frown, twitching his beard. He squinted at them, and took in the ridiculous stage that was their costume. And their name - though he was one to talk. Florry. What kind of name was that?

"You'll make a name all right." He said without thinking, like how he did many things. He didn't bother with courtesy. "What did you do, have a wrestling match with a duck?"