Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pre-Ball Shenanigans with the Treyburns!

Started by Ivory, October 29, 2013, 03:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

Mentally, Braxton rolled his eyes while his mother doled out instructions to his siblings. Of course his mother saw the gesture because he'd purposefully waited for her to look his way and see him. He flashed her a wolfish grin when she glared, frowning at him with her usual disapproval. "I could just drop my drawers . That'd leave a BIG impression. " Braxton snickered. That comment earned him a sharp elbow in his side and the death glare from his wife. He sighed and readjusted his collar , making it sit crooked. He wasn't about to let the women control him entirely this night; He was a real rebel!

"Well, if that's all it takes then ,by all means, do have at it, Janette," Leanna muttered in reply to Ma's instructions of behavior to her unruly sister-in-law.
Braxton tried not to laugh. 

While his mother continued to fuss, Braxton's patience was quickly wearing thin. He was a moment's breath from losing his temper and telling his mother to go upstairs and let them all be on their way when , thankfully, Redley interrupted (and a lot more tactfully than his own fiery temper would have allowed !) .

As soon as she was gone , Braxton heaved a sigh of relief, "For a moment I thought she was going to change her mind and tell us that she was coming with us." It really wouldn't have surprised him because he knew that she counted on him screwing up somehow! "Hey, does anyone think that if I bribed someone with half the Treyburn inheritance, that they'd marry Janette?" He jested.

"Braxton!" She didn't like Janette, but that was terrible a thing to say! She smacked his shoulder.

"Oh come on ,honey bear. I was just kidding. "Sort of, but not really!
Leanna narrowed her eyes at him, her glowering expression clearly conveying that she wasn't susceptible to believing his lies.

Braxton heard the door open and in stepped a peculiar looking man in the most ridiculous and girlish of costumes he'd ever seen. While Illi thought the stranger may have been a dreamboat, Braxton was eyeing this man up suspiciously. He moved away from the other Treyburns and went to intercept the newcomer who introduced himself.

"Yeah, great. Fantastic.  I'd say that it was nice meeting you too, Ezekiel, but I'm not really that fond of random strangers just inviting themselves into my home without , you know, seeking my permission first." He then closed the gap between them and was standing just a couple inches away from the stranger, scrutinizing their face with his steely blue eyes, " I feel as though we've met somewhere before." It wasn't a question. No. He knew he'd met this person, but the given name was either lost to memory, which he doubted or false.

But there were questions in his mind and the circumstances as well as the explanation were a red flag. There was one possibility in his mind that made sense, but he kept those thoughts internal for now.

He backed away ," Heh. So be it, Mister Enigmatic. Just don't give me any trouble this evening.  "

((Damn. I had meant to delete the first word in my post as I had changed my mind about the eyerolling. As old as he is , Braxton would no longer care whether mother saw or not. ))

Brisinger987

Janette just smirked and smartened herself up. She didn't need her mother on her case right now. She let Leanna's comment slide, but she heard Braxton's comment.

"I'll have you know Brax, that I am more than capable of wooing any man of my choice. It's that most of the one's I meet bore me to tears... I mean, I find my own brother's wife boring enough, let alone prospective prey..." Janette smiled sarcastically before shooting Leanna a look that said "Go on. Majorly annoy me. I dare you...".

As soon as her mother left, Janette let her composure and attitude drop again. She would need whatever drink was on offer at this party. And lots of it.

Then the new bloke arrived, and a few things in her head stopped her going up and flirting. One, this bloke could actually be someone seriously important, and she wasn't drunk yet. Two, this bloke looked like he could do some physical damage. Three, the bloke looked familiar.

"Well, Ezekiel... I think you need to answer my brother's question. Now!"

kleineklementine

((OOC: Sorry I'm the latest of the late on this!!!))

Riley frowned at being so thoroughly dismissed by his aunt Jillian. But, seeing her already absorbed back into her book, he shuffled off to his mother's side as Dahlia and Cherie re-entered the room. And only a moment later his Grandma came in and herded everyone into a line. Rose was on the list of Treyburn Women Riley Was Afraid Of, so he stuck dutifully by Dahlia's side.

Unlike Braxton, Dahlia openly rolled her eyes at being lined up and assessed like they were school children. Her mood was still somewhat soured by the earlier exchange with Redly. And it didn't improve upon the entrance of the 'stranger.' Dahlia's expression hardened as she looked at 'Ezekiel' and she had to stop herself from rolling her eyes again when, one by one, her siblings gaped at who this mysterious person might be.

Dahlia supposed she wouldn't stake her life on it, but if she was forced to guess who was the mysterious stranger that showed up in the house less than an hour after they were informed Jana would be joining them...

It was ridiculous. Not just that Jana was joining them at all (which Dahlia still could not believe), but this attention-seeking game of guess-who-I-am. But still, Dahlia wouldn't ruin whatever fun the rest were getting out of this, so she just retreated back a bit into the room and sat to wait for the rest. She was a bit frustrated with herself that she was in this mood in the first place, and that the sight of her sister darkened it so much. Well, when they arrived at the ball, she'd flip the switch to Sociable and Charming, whatever she was feeling. It was always so much easier to do that with strangers than with family.

Riley, for his part, just looked earnestly up at Exekiel after Janette's demand. "I'd listen to her. She might actually hit you."

Ivory

(OOC: Holidays happen.  Don't worry about it.  New round, all!)

"Now, now," Trevian intervened quickly, raising both hands as he glided between the stranger and his family.  Goodness, they were like a pack of wolves circling their prey -- without even checking first to see if they were hunting a deer or a mere likeness upon somebody's lawn.  Of course, Braxton had already reached the stranger, well before Trevian had, and so he hand fell naturally on his big brother's shoulder gently, just to keep the bigger man from backing into him as he moved about.  "That's hardly any way to treat a guest, is it?"  He was curious as any of them, but he was a firm believer in catching flies with honey, not with vinegar.  "Master Carzile, was it?" he asked, flashing the man a charming grin.  "You'll have to excuse us.  We weren't expecting any guests tonight."

That gave him pause, then, and he looked the stranger over more closely.  Well, they weren't expecting any strangers -- but who they were expecting was unable to give herself away to the guards.  His grin almost doubled at the thought, and, although ever charming, his expression changed slightly, now regarding him like the piece of prey -- and he was just silently accusing his siblings of doing the same thing!

"It's very nice to meet you," Cherie chirped up sweetly, trying to lend her brother some support.  She curtsied prettily, even, although a moment ago she had been snickering behind a hand at Florry's comment.

Trevian chuckled softly.  Leave it to Cherie...  But, nevermind, he had questions!

"Is it dear uncle Reagan who extended the invitation?" The soldier wondered off-handedly.  "I've never met him, but I hear he has a knack for finding trouble."

And, behind him, Cherie scrunched up her nose slightly with an air of confusion.  Did they even have an uncle Reagan?

(OOC: lols...  Redly is still dealing with Ma!)

zozee9

(OOC: Y'all can be like Sharkie and send me friendly reminders to post if it's my turn and I haven't posted in a day or two... chances are, I forgot.)

Illi looked at her siblings with a little bit of disdain. Even if there was a random stranger in their house, wouldn't it be best to treat him with some respect? Well, she should have known better than to expect that from her siblings. She was about to curtsy, introduce herself, and apologize for her siblings... but then Trevian spoke about "dear uncle Reagan". Being one for stories, Illi knew exactly who that was. And the look of surprise and pain—though it lasted only a second—on the man... no, the woman's... face proved his suspicions.

"Jana?!" Illi screamed before quickly turning and looking upstairs with horror. Hopefully Rose hadn't heard her! But the horror only lasted a second, because she quickly turned around and ran to hug her older sister. She knew it was Jana. Nobody else would look so much like a typical Treyburn boy and yet still look completely dashing. Her brothers were all slobs. And plus, Jana was the key candidate of who would understand what it would be like to be that fallen angel, bloodied with the soul of innocence.

And as she realized this, she dropped down from Jana (who had lifted her up for a full embrace) and twirled around so that she was facing Trevian. "Why would you bring up Reagan?!" Illi snapped. He was the source of all of Jana's suffering, and Trev had brought him up for almost no reason. "It's supposed to be a happy day! A happy day!"

But while Illi attempted to scold her older brother, Jana merely smirked and patted her dear younger sister on the head. "It's okay, Illi," she said kindly. "I'm sure it just slipped Trev's mind... plus, that whole army encounter happened years ago." Of course, Illi didn't know the true reason why Reagan's name brought her older sister pain. But she had seen the reaction on Jana's face earlier, and knew that the pain still existed.

So Illi frowned at the ground. She couldn't stay sad, though. It had been so long since she had seen Jana! Her sister had matured even more, becoming an even more handsome man. She had been hoping for her to come as a beautiful lady, though...

Now that the whirlwind of her sister seemed to be distracted, Jana finally took a deep breath and looked around the room. All of her siblings grew so much whenever she saw them, and she felt as if she was missing out on their lives. She hated it, and she hated herself for causing this to happen. But she didn't want to spoil the night, so Jana pushed back her feelings and took a deep breath. Then she bowed and looked up with a foolish smile. With a laugh, Jana exclaimed (though quietly enough that Rose shouldn't be distracted), "My name is Jana Treyburn, you all know me, and I am here today because I love every one of you crazy siblings!"

(OOC: Let me know if you want me to edit anything! I realized about five paragraphs in that Illi might not have been the only one who would have run up and hugged her, but I didn't want to rewrite the whole thing. But if you want me to change it, let me know!)
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

Paradox

Of course Braxton knew who it was. Redley had informed him. Braxton had been against the idea at first, concerned that Ma would find out. Why couldn't Jana meet the group outside the estate and away from Ma? Why tonight? He couldn't even believe that someone as sensible as Redley had even suggested it! And he couldn't believe that Redley had talked him into going along with this but ultimately Braxton had agreed.

He'd told the guards of 'Ezekiel'  and it was the only reason that Jana was able to pass into the estate with little consequence. Of course, Braxton being who he was decided to feign ignorance.

Trevian bought his act and that tickled him because Trevian was usually pretty good at seeing through lies and weaving them. However, when Trevian mentioned Reagan, Brax shot him a disproving glare. Of all the names to use that they were familiar with and that was the one he dropped? He was concerned it'd cause a reaction in someone and he was right because Illi practically shouted Jana's name;Brax cringed. "Keep your voices down, " he reminded the group as a whole, knowing that quite a few need no such reminder. He cast a sharp warning glance at Illi.

"Welcome back." He didn't say 'home'. Ever since Regan had died, he doubted that Jana had thought of this place in that sense. Brax nodded at eldest sister and stood back, allowing the other siblings to crowd her. He could catch up with Jana later. After all, he'd seen her more than the rest of them.

kleineklementine

((Sarsar's post, in which nothing happens. >.>))

Dahlia's grey eyes widened in surprise at Trevian's question about 'Uncle Reagan.' She opened her mouth, then closed it, thinking better of it. She was sure someone else would chastise her careless brother and, before long, Illi did. Still, Dahlia frowned. After Braxton, she was the only Treyburn for whom Reagan was more than just a rumor or a story. A secret to be used or guarded. And though she was never taken into her older siblings' confidence on Reagan's fate, she knew more of the truth than they might guess. But if they didn't want to talk to her about it, Dahlia never approached her older siblings on the matter. But thankfully the matter passed nearly as quickly as it had come and everyone seemed back in good spirits.

Dahlia stayed where she was, though, and had to exert a real effort not to roll her eyes at Jana's antics. 'Every one of you crazy siblings,' indeed. Dahlia couldn't believe Jana would take the risk of being here tonight, of coming to the Grand Duke's Palace. As though the risk would only be to her if she were caught (though that should be enough!) But in these increasingly tense times of a nation at war, Dahlia doubted the rest of the family would be able to walk away safely if they were found to be harboring a criminal. But with the way Jana and Redly were carrying themselves, you'd think it was a game of hide-and-seek! And Angsar only knew what Jana's real intentions were. Dahlia, for her part, wanted none of it. She wasn't going to make a fuss of disapproval, but she certainly wasn't going to pretend this was all fine by her for Jana's benefit.

Brisinger987

((Please accept my apologies for the following post. I literally cannot think of anything to post, so it's gonna be stupid short. Gonna have Janette exit for a bit. And if anyone but Dahlia, Trevian, Braxton or Riley wants to spot her leave, they can come and accompany her into the cellar and scold her, but those 4 can't know, because they don't know that she's already had some when she start's the ball (We don't want paradoxes galore now, do we? Can't mess with the timey-wimey)))

Janette stared at the situation. Jana was the one sibling she hardly knew, and had no idea how to interact with. And the fact that her sister was dressed up like a man made things so much more awkward.

So instead of saying anything, and not really wanting to interact with this new person, she snuck off to start the night early. When she thought no-one was looking, she quickly ducked into the cellar, and found her bottles of liquid courage.

Then she began to drink them...

Looshi

Jana?

Jana!

Florry's eyes went wide behind his mask and his mouth hung open slight. The fur on his tail raised at his shock, and a sinking feeling dropped down into his stomach. He just called his older sister a duck. His face went red, and his tongue felt like wool, but he knew he had to apologize, even if that wasn't necessarily the Treyburn way. He had to be a gentleman tonight, and he was going to try. It was just that his trying didn't amount to anything much.

Once Illi pulled away from Jana, he could then see the resemblance of his sister. At first it wasn't obvious, and he figured it was from the get up(oh how he hated his). His heart thumped, and he couldn't help but grin. Florry took steps forward, with a hunch to his shoulders.

"I'm sorry I called you a duck." He said, his eyes darting away from Jana's face. Boy, was he embarrassed.

Vivi

"Jana?" Oscar looked from every one of his siblings to the other, but it didn't serve to make the revelation make any more sense. Jana? As in... their sister Jana? He narrowed his eyes as Illi ran squealing to meet her, trying to make sense of what lay behind that mask. He was older than Illi, but even so had been just a boy when his youngest sister had fled - or been banished, depending on who was telling the story. He barely even remembered her, just the fleeting memory of a loud voice and strong arms. This woman... she was a stranger. She didn't sound like he'd thought she would, looked strange to his eyes, and as for her being here at all...

He didn't know what to say.

He exchanged glances with Dahlia, one of the few siblings not to say anything at all. Janette had vanished, and with the others crowding around their sister, he was faltering, unsure of what to do. He shrugged hopelessly at Dahlia, a silent grimace giving voice to his confusion.

What's going on? He mouthed to Dahlia, utterly bemused. Braxton seemed utterly unphased - had he known about this all along? Had they planned this? This was madness, it had to be. Jana couldn't be here, the risk alone... She could be arrested, or worse!

"Jana..." He swallowed, wringing his hands anxiously. "N-not that I'm not pleased to see you, but... What is this? Surely you don't mean to go to the ball, too?"

Ivory

(OOC: New round!)

Trevian picked up on his siblings' disapproval with ease; it was an almost tangible presence electrifying the air, and he responded merely by raising his eyebrows and extending his hands outwards, palms forward, as if to ward them off.

Hey, she was the one who chose that name -- twenty years ago or so! -- and had started this little game tonight.  It wasn't his fault he happened to be a better player than the rest of them...

Instead of pressing his point, however, or proclaiming his innocence, he simply folded his arms across his chest and stepped back to lean against the wall, turning his head slightly to regard his eldest brother as Red finally headed downstairs.

"I see our guest of honor has arrived," he announced cheerfully, albeit a bit more quietly than he otherwise might have.  No reason to risk Ma overhearing...

zozee9

Jana looked at the embarrassed Florry and laughed. "Oh come on, Florry, we both know you thought I was a rather dashing duck, no?" she teased with a wink. She did have enough sense to keep her voice down, and the fact that half of her siblings seemed rather... indifferent to her presence helped that. She had been expecting as much, of course. This wasn't her normal visit—she was planning on taking a huge risk by going to the ball.

Oscar's attitude was just what Jana was imagining was passing through most people's heads, and she was just about to reply when Redly came down the stairs.

A wide smile spread across her face and she ran up to give her only older sibling a full body hug. Her connection with Redly was unlike her connection with any of the others, and it was a bond that could never be broken. Even after all the years that had passed, she still felt guilty about him getting disowned; after all, it was her fault.

"It's great to see you again," she said seriously to him before turning around. "It's great to see all of you!"

Meanwhile, Illi had returned to Florry. Sneaking up behind him, she quietly yelled, "Quack!" into his ear before laughing right into his ear. "Calling our dear older sister a duck? How kind," she teased lightheartedly.

OOC: where did cherie go? :3
Characters: Alycia | Sky | Kayala | Elaina | Alexandra | Piper | Gage AND Heather | Zeina | Elizabeth | Mera | Darya | Fiara | Tanya | Meki | Vivian | Lali | Nyimi | Jillian | Cedric | Jana | Duncan | Zara | Marie | Rora | Koraq | Xiana | Sevda | Nava | Na'il | Bambina | Micheovi | Nitya

Art Thread: Here! | deviantArt Profile: Here <3

If I owe you a post (which I probably do), sorry... I'll get you one as soon as I can! <3 Message me if you're in a rush or want one.

kleineklementine

Dahlia returned Oscar's look and gave a small shrug of her own to say, God knows. And perhaps, But I don't like it. She kept her eyes on him when he asked aloud what was going on. Well, at least one of her siblings had sense. Of course, Oscar could usually be counted upon to be fairly sensible, anyway.

Her countenance cooled further when Redly entered and he and Jana embraced and smiled and joked about the 'guest of honor.' Typical of them to pretend everything was just perfectly fine; like they were the only adults and the rest of them were children who had to be protected.

"As nice as it is to see you, Jana," Dahlia finally spoke up, but did not move to greet her sister, "I'm afraid I'm left wondering the same as Oscar. You can't seriously think that you can attend tonight, however your dressed, without putting everyone here at as much risk as you put yourself." Dahlia's tone was measured, but the accusation was perfectly clear in her voice. It was, of course, completely true. Tensions were high in Connlaoth and Jana had put the rest of the family now put the rest of the family in the position of knowingly escorting a wanted criminal - and probably a spy - into the Grand Duke's ball. In the eyes of the government, fairly unforgiving eyes at the moment, that would make them all just as guilty as Jana.