Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Roads of the desert [Nomad]

Started by Anadwen, January 03, 2014, 06:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

Maigrod's roar echoed through the air of the desert, loud, like a raging storm, thunder in its full, unleashed fury. He spread his black wings, gliding in the air, and let the currents of wind take him higher, towards the crystal clear dome of the sky.

Athran bent towards his neck, pressing his body onto Maigrod's scales, cold even despite the bright sun that shone on the desert all day. So high above the ground, the air was cool, picking up his clothes. His face was almost entirely covered by the black scarf, protecting him from the fierce winds and sun, but as the dragon drifted through the air, taking sharp turns and changing height of his flight, he felt the fabric sliding off his nose and cheeks.

"Faster! Maigrod, faster!" he shouted. It was only a practice flight, to prepare for battles and travel, but both of them were taking it completely seriously. The dragon's black wings flashed, only a black maze, and Maigrod flew spiraling through the clouds. Athran pulled the right bridle, and they begun rising in great circles. The few clouds, as white as snow, appeared beside them, they flew right through their fog, until they found themselves above them.

Athran narrowed his eyes, outlined by thick lines of black kohl, and stared at the sun, gleaming like a huge ball near the horizon. He felt the wind weakening as Maigrod slowed down, but still much stronger than anything he would normally encounter on the ground.

The world was wide, very wide. So high above the ground, he stared at its incredible vastness. It seemed almost infinite... Clouds, scarcely placed here and there around the sky floated above the dunes of sand, spreading in every direction seemingly to infinity. He peered at the horizon, and once again, the wonder he could never explain took his breath away. It was not straight - it was a wide arch, and its sides appeared lower than the middle. The world wasn't flat. 

Maigrod let out a thunderous roar once again. Athran tightened the belt that held him in the saddle, for he knew what was to follow - descending. Maigrod pulled his wings to his body and turned his head towards the ground. His rider held onto him tightly, and they broke through the clouds, only held back by the wind. They were as fast as a lightning, a flying arrow wouldn't be faster. The wind blew the scarf off Athran's head, its ends were trembling behind his back. Maigrod was getting faster and faster by every short moment that passed, aiming straight at the ground. Just right above it, he spread his wings and arose into the air in an elegant arch.

"How was this?" Maigrod asked.
"It was amazing. I'm proud of you, Maigrod."
"But you did fear I'd crash into the ground, didn't you?" His crimson eye flashed as he turned his head towards Athran a little. The elf laughed.
"I didn't. Not at all."
Maigrod growled playfully. "You did. I smelled your fear."
"Maybe a little. But my reasons are enough for that... Considering your last attempt to do this left me useless for three weeks."
"I'm sorry for that. I didn't mean to."

Athran didn't reply to his last sentence. His eyes watched a small black spot on the dunes of sand beneath, slowly moving on the desert. A traveler?

"Maigrod, look down. There's something." he ordered him.

Nomad

Onward Einar continued to march, foot after foot as he trudged through the sands of the desert. As he continues on his march he gazes ahead of him, he had not forgotten the feeling of the desert, the hot sun beating down and the feel of the sand, these were things he had gotten use to many years ago. Moving forwards something caught his attention, a sound from above that brought the man to a stop for a moment.

Lifting his gaze from the desert before him Einar glances towards the sky, having heard the sound of roaring above him. The sound caused Einar to grow cautions as he tightened his grip on the shaft of his axe, his gaze scanning the sky for a moment before he brought it down and scanned over his surroundings as he slowly spun around. " Hmmm... " Einar murmurs lightly as he spins around while he scans his surroundings.

He couldn't see anything out of the ordinary, nothing that gave him cause to brace himself for a fight, though he knew just because their was no sign that it did not mean their was no danger. Though he was not looking for a fight Einar knew that even though one may not be looking for a fight that dose not mean they will not get into one.

Anadwen

"Fly to him... But slowly, Maigrod, slowly. I don't want to break my neck."

Athran pulled both bridles back and Maigrod slowly begun descending towards the traveler. Both pairs of their keen eyes, azure and crimson, could now recognize the tall figure, strolling through the dunes of sand. Maigrod let out another roar, loud like a thunder, and started turning around in great circles, until he eventually landed before the stranger in a drift and a cloud of arising sand. Athran was keeping his eyes on the stranger, but remained silent.

The sand slowly settled back, and revealed both of their figure - the slender, but muscular body of Maigrod, covered with countless scales, as black as charcoal, and Athran in the saddle on his back, wind-blown hair and scarf which sled down his face now only covering half of it. The dragon stretched his wings and faced the stranger.

Two pairs of curious eyes were glued to him, watching every his move, but both the dragon and his rider were silent.

Nomad

Hearing something approach him, Einar lifts his gaze to the sky, looking to the dragon as it descends through the air down to the ground. A dragon was definitely something that he did not wish to fight, though he knew if needed he would defend himself against any form of threat big or small.

With the dragon having come to land before him Einar tighten his grip on the shaft of his axe as he lifts his gaze, scanning over the dragon. Lifting his gaze Einar finally notices the person on the dragon, the two of them looking at him. Though he was on edge he did not bring his weapon up and brandish it against the two, instead he remained at the ready in case either of the two came at him.

For a few brief moments Einar remains silent as he gazes up at the two, his eyes slowly shifting as he scans over both dragon and rider. Finally he begins to speak up, " Greetings. " Einar says as he gazes to the rider atop the dragon.

Anadwen

Athran raised his right hand to his head in a quick hail.

"Greetings to you, too. What is a solitary man doing amid the desert?" he asked. He watched the traveler's axe, but other than his hand, covered in hard leather, he hardly moved at all. It was unusual to find someone so deep in the desert - especially without food or water available nearby.

He himself was traveling from Essyrn, and having enough time and resources, he decided to practice flight manoeuvres with him, especially the infamous quick descend. He was proud of Maigrod handling it so well, especially because his last try ended rather badly. Even despite their age, they both still had a lot to learn together, but Maigrod was clever and Athran's steady hands led him well.

The dragon let a low growl at the stranger, not threatening, but closer to a warning. He turned into a defensive stance, ready to charge at any moment, and they both awaited the man's response.

Nomad

After speaking Einar fell into silence with his gaze remaining fixed on the man atop the dragon. As the man begins to speak, he lets out a soft sigh seeing that perhaps the man nor the dragon were searching for a fight. Pulling his gaze from the man, Einar glances around for a brief moment, looking to the desert around him, before he looks back to the man.

" I am simply traveling, " He says with a faint nod as he begins to relax his grip on his axe. With no sign of threat Einar began to relax a bit, his gaze shifting from the man atop the dragon to the dragon for a moment as he lets out a growl. " What of you? " Einar asks as he brings his gaze back up to the man atop the dragon.

Anadwen

"We follow one road, though maybe in different directions. I'm traveling and training here." he replied, and shook his head a little. The scarf sled of his head, uncovering his sharp features and porcelain-white skin.

"Where to does your path lead? Essyrn?" he guessed, while his hands unbuckled the belts that held him secured on Maigrod's back. He sled off the black scales and took a step towards the man, crossing his arms on his chest. Wind blew through his long hair and swept it aside, along with the corners of his scarf, but he paid no attention to it. There was always wind in Moraki desert.

Nomad

Listening to the man as he speaks, Einar gives a faint nod. He did not think he would run into anyone while traveling, let alone a man riding a dragon. Holding his ground Einar keeps his gaze fixed on the two, paying close attention to the both of them. Though neither had shown any sign of aggression.

As the man spoke up again Einar glances to him for a brief moment before he shifts his gaze to follow the man as he slid down the dragon and came to rest in the sand. " It leads to no where in particular really. I go where ever my feet take me these days. Seeing the world, experience life as a free soul. " Einar says with a faint nod as he watches the man now that he had come to stand in the sand.

Anadwen

Athran nodded in understanding. Traveling without a real purpose took a lot of his time, too, and he knew well what the stranger was talking about.

"Be careful. The desert is treacherous and wider than it seems. Essyrn is about ten days of walking south from here, if that's where you are going. It's a long way. Without enough food and water, a wanderer can easily find his end in Moraki sands... Don't get lost. These parts of the world are soaked with silent, but burning death."

He glanced over his shoulder at Maigrod, which moved forth towards him. His hands arose to the dragon's black-scaled head, and rested atop it. "I'm heading to Zantaric. Do you need a ride?" he offered him with a grin.

Nomad

Listening to the man as he spoke of the desert, Einar knew he was right though he had lived in this area before it had been some time since he had last been in the desert. Though he was heading towards Essyrn, he was not completely sure where he wished to go at the moment.

As the dragon moves forth Einar lifts his gaze and looks to the beast for a brief moment before letting his gaze fall back to the man as he reaches up to the dragon before speaking again. He was being offered a ride to Zantaric, which would probably have him riding atop the beast with this man. After the offer, Einar remains silent for a few brief moments as he gives though to the offer. " If you and your friend do not mind, " Einar says as he breaks his silence, taking the man up on his offer.

Anadwen

Athran smirked.

"As long as you don't mind the smell of a dragon and his rider, we won't mind. But you will have to hold on tightly. There is only one pair of belts." he chuckled and waved his hand at him, gesturing him to come closer.

Athran! You can't just let a stranger travel with you like that! It's not safe! There is hardly anything he could do to me, but a fly, but how do you know he's not going after you? You have more enemies than fingers on your hands. I wouldn't do this. Maigrod sounded almost angry. Athran sighed. I know what I'm doing. Don't worry. I can sense if someone's going after my neck, or simply wants to get somewhere fast.
No, you don't know what you're doing. I will carry him on my back, if you ask me to, but I don't want to see your guts fall off the sky.
I thought I'm the paranoid one in here... Athran rolled his eyes over.
You're flinching when an innkeeper touches your cape, and let a complete stranger travel with you. Damn the gods, Athran. Where did you leave your mind?
On the battlefield, replied Athran sternly, and turned his attention back to the man.

"We'd take you. But you'll have to do what I and Maigrod will say, otherwise you'll fall off."

Nomad

Listening to the man bring up the dragon again Einar lifts his gaze and glances to the beast for a moment as he thought on what the man had said. He would be riding the dragon with the man, though he would have to hold onto the man. For a moment he gave it a bit more though, the only thing he had a problem with was the falling to his death part but that was only if he didn't hold on tight enough. Riding a dragon seemed like it may be interesting and he would be getting a free ride.

Dropping his gaze from the dragon he looks back to the man and nods his head faintly as he is informed he will have to do what the two say. " I have no problem with that. Nor do I have a problem with the smell. When you grow up as a slave you get use to doing things that are required of you even if you do not wish to do them. " Einar says with a faint nod as he looks at the man.

Anadwen

Athran gave Maigrod a short glance. "There's only one pair of belts to keep one in the saddle, and I'll have to use them for access to bridles and manoeuvring gear. You'll sit behind and will have to hold the saddle. I'm sorry if you'll get my hair in your face, though."

He gestured him to come closer and himself jumped into the saddle, but left the belts unbuckled. "I'll sit here, and you'll go just behind. There you can either hold onto my belts, or the saddle. Maigrod will fly steadily and carefully, but you'll have to pay attention, too. The wind's strong and cold up there." he explained him, and sled off the saddle again.

Do you really think he will be able to hold for so long? And not fall off? Maigrod questioned him.
I do. For his own good.

Nomad

Looking at Athran, Einar listens to the man as he begins to explain what he will be holding onto. At first he thought he would be holding onto the man though it seemed he would be holding onto the saddle on the dragon, though he was fine with either.

Moving closer as Athran gestures he lifts his gaze and looks up after he jumped onto the saddle. Looking up at Athran as he rests on the saddle he gives a faint nod before glancing to the saddle he rested in. Given what Athran was saying about what would be happening he could see how it will be dangerous, though he will be ridding in the air on a dragon so that alone made it dangerous.

" I see.. " Einar says with a nod as he looks at Athran " Well, I do hope not to fall off. That would not make for a good day. I take it you and your friend are ready to go? " He asks while looking at Athren, not sure how to get up onto the dragon with him.