Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pirate out of water [Paganchick]

Started by Gabriel Graves, January 06, 2014, 10:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel Graves

...Fate was a funny thing.

Having spent so long being his own master in life, aside from his duties as a Voidwalker, Gabriel had never thought so much to think he was "destined" to do anything. That him doing something was predetermined from long ago before he was even born. No, Gabriel was more a man who believed in freedom. Freedom and choice. Yet today was proving to be a very different day, where Gabriel was starting to believe that some encounters did not happen by chance.

It was the rare occasion he actually took a contract to find and bring someone in alive. In this case, a Pirate who had managed to get herself into more trouble than she bargained for, and found herself stranded away from her ship. Oceana, as she was known, was deceptively skillful on land and in many ways. Even after Gabriel had managed to get her away from a water source (which in itself was a difficult task, involving using his ability to freeze what water was available before she could get to it) and chase her into a small set of abandoned slums consisting of little more than broken wooden houses and dirt roads and alleys, she still evaded him, A Voidwalker. A task that was by no means a small feat.

Gabriel still knew his work was cut out for him, especially since he had elected to not attempt to take the woman to the knights...No, his mind had something else. He had looked into her eyes, and seen a look that he knew all too well, both from his own experience and from the times he had seen it in so many others. If Gabriel's guess was correct, It was a look of suffering rage. A look of someone whose dark feelings had taken hold of them and drove them to madness. A look of a person so consumed by something they could no longer let go of it, for if they tried it would torture and haunt them. That woman, Oceana, was consumed by her darkness, but not lost: Gabriel had seen truly dark beings, and though both did horrible things, there was always redemption if one sought it. Sometimes, however, one simply needed a path. A path that, while not easy, was one that could bring peace. Gabriel knew that this was just speculation, perhaps even false hope, but he at least owed it to the woman to try and help her.

Gabriel, clad in his ancient yet regal armor, took slow and deliberate steps down the dirt street, various abandoned buildings surrounding him, any of which the woman could have been hiding in. All of which he would check to find her, for although she could run temporarily, she could not hide from the Voidwalker.

As he took steps down the street, his senses remained alert for an ambush, as he called into the air, well aware that she would be able to hear him no matter where she was in such a run down area.

"...You cannot run forever, My lady. I have seen it in your eyes: what you run from now is not me, but yourself. Your darkness plagues you, torments you as you are unable to let it go. No good would do to bring you to the bounty hunters, but I also cannot let you simply walk away to do more harm. Stand before me, and let us talk. No more swords. No more magic, simply words. That is all that is needed."

paganchick

Oceana found it truly hard not to laugh at the mans words. He had to be more of a crazy than she was. For one, why in the hell would she ever believe him. For all she knew as soon as she stepped out he would try to freeze her or something. Second of all, she knew he shouldn't trust her, because she didn't ever play by the rules, she hadn't since the day she had been born.
"I don't feel too tormented," She couldn't resist calling out, though she quickly moved so her location couldn't be found as easily, constantly moving, that was the key to effective hiding.

"I have nothing to say to you pig," She spoke out again, her voice bouncing and echoing off the buildings. It was clear she was bitter, well clear to everyone but her.

"Whatever you have to say, I'm listening," She added as she continued to move around, distinctly avoiding the shadows.

Gabriel Graves

Gabriel heard the voice of the pirate woman Oceana echo throughout the ruined slums that surrounded him. He did not care much for the content at the moment, but rather the sound: judging by it, the woman was on the move. That, and the bitter tone in her voice indicated to the Voidwalker that she didn't even realize the hatred she carried. An interesting situation indeed.

To say that there was no danger in this situation was foolish: A clever ambush could still cause Gabriel grievous harm if he was not ready for it. However, by responding to his comments, the pirate woman had already given Gabriel a much-needed tactical advantage: he knew she was still here. With that fact in mind, Gabriel simply needed to react to the ambush he knew was likely inevitable. If she was as angry and bitter as she sounded, then it seemed like an inevitable instinct. For now, he just needed to keep her talking, to make sure he could try to narrow down where she was hiding, or at least get a sense of her general direction. He continued to step with heavy, slightly deliberate footfalls, bait to his trap of drawing the woman out.

"...Not Tormented? Your words say one thing, yet your voice says another. I can hear your malice. Your abnormal hatred of me beyond the obvious hate of me simply being your opponent. I'm offering you a way out of this without need of spilling blood. Reveal yourself to me as I know a warrior of your reputation would be capable of, let us speak and I shall let you go. You have my word as a knight." Gabirel stated. While it was a weak attempt at reassurance to someone so paranoid, it was the only one he could give until he had more information.

Or until the woman attempted her ambush.

paganchick

Oceana was silent as she moved around. The man's footsteps were too loud, too deliberate. It was like he wanted her to attack. Then he spoke of letting her go if she only spoke to him, and the idea made her nearly burst out into laughter. He had to really think she was slow if he thought she believed him, even with his 'knights honor'.

He seemed to think he could keep her talking as well, he was silly. She leaned against a wall, taking a deep breath, grasping the vial that hung around her neck for a moment. The vial contained the water from her spring, it's what allowed her to be away from it and out of water.
She took another deep breath, she would have to leave, she had to get away and preferably back to the coast. At the Ocean she was all but unstoppable.

Gabriel Graves

She was not talking.

Well, that made things considerably more difficult. That left Gabriel hanging and awaiting an ambush that may not come. The threat of an ambush that would allow the woman to escape with surprising ease, as Gabriel (despite the difference in ability by his years of experience) was still effectively in check by the threat of an ambush until he had some kind of indicator of if the woman was nearby or where she was. If only a mistake was made, even the slightest noise, so that Gabriel could find what he was looking for...

Luckily for the voidwalker, that lucky mistake came sooner than he thought in the form of wood creaking loudly under the weight of a person's presence. Due to the age of the nearby buildings, it was always a risk that hiding in one would reveal ones presence to astute ears by such a noise. Gabriel's gaze immediately turned left slightly, in the direction of the loud noise, his eyes noticing the slightest movement behind the remains of a wooden wall of a ruined shack. Gabriel had to act now, and put his powerful talents to use.

In what would be a whisp of black mist that filled the air around him, the Voidwalker would vanish from sight in an instant, using the power of traveling through the void to teleport himself a short distance. That short distance put him directly inside the wooden house...standing right across the room from the pirate woman who he had been looking for, who had been so close and watching him for an ambush. The tables had been somewhat turned.

"You can keep running, but your actions will always catch up to you, just as I will." Gabriel said flatly, simply staring at the woman on the other side of the room. He could have reached for his sword, but he did not, instead intently staring the woman down as he awaited whatever response would come from her.

paganchick

"Maybe my actions are other's actions catching up to them?" Oceana said, her eyes narrowed in malice towards the man. He was so high on his horse, his words made her sick.
"You are rather predictable, you use the same tricks," She added, not moving, her eyes ever trained on the knight.

"Now tell me, why should I trust you, you said once we talked I was free to go, we are talking, so am I really free to go? Or will I be fighting my way out of this corner?"