Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fire in the hole! (Paradox!)

Started by Klezmer Gryphon, October 22, 2013, 04:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klezmer Gryphon

Lucian sighed. Delvar probably was wondering by now where he had gone. He figured that he had activated some sort of hidden door or something when he had moved the torch sconce, and was now in this alternative chamber. Even with the light of only one torch, Lucian could see a few things around the room; a desk of some sort, with rolled up papers and a few open books covering it's surface, some chairs, and a wooden door. That certainly looked out of place, given the fact that dwarves, he assumed, love using stone. Is it some sort of study? he pondered. Delvar had to see this.

Armed with this discovery, the gryphon activated the torch sconce again, but this time, he jammed one of his arrows into the crag where the section of wall met the ground, bringing the 'door' to a grinding halt in the middle of its rotation. "Delvar! You'll want to see this!" He yelled, excited about this new development.

Paradox

Fortunately, Delvar was close enough to hear the rumbling of the revolving passage reopening behind him. However, the sudden and unknown noise did startle him a tad as he nearly leaped out of his skin. The dwarf abruptly turned around and stared unblinkingly for a few moments at the gryphon poking his head outside of a passage that Delvar knew he hadn't seen before.

"Hidden passage. O' course! Clever work, laddie!" He moved forward, squeezing through the opening and walking into the secret room. "Eh...what's this? Looks like some sort o' study. " He moved over to the desk and pulled open some drawers, searching through them for anything that might hold clues about the purpose of this study or about anything in this ruin, really.

There were countless papers with writing on them that Delvar hardly recognized that he stacked neatly on top and pointed at it, "Definitely dwarvish but ah think it predates even me people. Some of these look like runes though. Ye know, like magic. That is interesting. " He stroked his beard thoughtfully and furrowed his brow, "But 'ere is somethin' a wee bi' more interestin'. "

He pulled from the drawer a small, leather bound book that was only slightly larger in his hand. It was quite plain in its appearance but not quite as old looking as the pages he'd placed on the desk. He opened the book. The writing was in common and the ink was fresh.

Someone had definitely been here recently.

Klezmer Gryphon

Lucian looked on curiously as the dwarf went about pulling drawers open, revealing far more papers than what the gryphon would have thought to have been in the desk. His eyes tried to sort through it all, and darted to the rolled up scrolls beside the new stack of ancient papers. He almost unrolled them when Delvar called his attention to the little brown journal.

"That does seem a little suspect, doesn't it? All these old papers, and then this journal..." He muttered, gently taking it from the drawn and thumbing through it. What the hell? This is pure madness! he thought. The writing seemed to be written by a madman who was obsessed with this ruin. However, Lucian didn't let it bother him too much. Handing the journal back to Delvar, he unrolled the scrolls and gasped at what was depicted.....

Paradox

"Ah s'ppose it must have been one of those scholar types, " Delvar replied as he flipped through the pages of zealous notes. "Seemed very interested in the...-" He lowered the journal and snapped it closed, hearing his gryphon companion gasp in his good ear.

Curious, the dwarf moved closer to take a peek over Lucian's shoulder, "What is it? What did ye find?"

Klezmer Gryphon

Lucian simply gazed in awe and wonder at the open scroll. Words could not express how he felt. Upon the scroll's ancient surface were designs; ancient weapons, armor and smithing techniques laid out for him to see. He knew the dwarves were excellent stonemasons, but this simply blew his mind.

"I'm not sure how to describe this. I never knew the dwarves were smiths, but I suppose masonry and smithing go hand in hand when one lives in a mountain." He chimed, excited as to what the other scrolls might hold. However, when he went to open one of the others, he found it was sealed. The dwarves were evidently not worried about their smithing secrets but this other scroll seemed like it was  at one point, important. With a sigh, the gryphon handed it to Delvar. He was unsure of what course to take.

Paradox

With scrolls now in hand, Delvar stared at the gyrphon as though the lad had said something utterly mad, "Are ye serious? Ye've ne'er 'eard o' dwarven blacksmiths afore?" He shook his head, " Aside from the elven folk me people's reputation for crafting weapons 'an armor is legendary. We've got alchemists an' engineers even. "

Now he studied the sealed scrolls and turned them over in his palms numerous times,scrutinizing their details from every possible angle, "One thing ye dannae 'ear too often 'bout is dwarven magic. Most of me people aren't very fond o' the ole hocus pocus, but a few practice and 'ave a talent fer it tha' rivals the elves, even. This," he pointed with his free hand at the scrolls, "ah dannae think ah can open, but ah might know someone who can. But ah'd 'ave t' take these back t' Ketra an' 'ave 'em looked o'er. " He tucked the scrolls away into his pack.

(( Apologies for two things: 1) posting delay 2) the quality reduction in my post. It'll take me a bit of time to get used to posting again. ><; ))

Klezmer Gryphon

((it's fine! Real life happens and is always the first priority!))

As Delvar was busy explaining the wonders of dwarven smithing and magic, the latter of which he doubted entirely, Lucian took a closer look at some of the papers on the table. Some were written in the same rigid runes he saw out front by the statues, while others, while still obviously the same alphabet, looked more fluid. It didn't really help that Lucian could not read the papers, nor could his dwarven companion. With a sigh, he looked up at Delvar.. And then had a thought.

"What do you think is behind this door?" he asked, pointing a talon at the wooden door at the back of the small room. It might have just been a closet or a cabinet for all he knew.

((Lol, feel free to make that room whatever you'd like it to be))

Paradox

Delvar shrugged, "Ah dannae. Let's open it!" Because , never mind if it might have been booby-trapped or something ludicrous like that. After all dwarven-folk (or it may have very well just been the sky dwarves) were rather bold and, quite often, reckless beings. Without a moment's hesitation or waiting for his companion to protest, Delvar marched over to the door and yanked it open . Much to his surprise, it swung open quite easily along with an avalanche of mops, brooms, buckets and other assorted cleaning materials.

(( Well, you did say anything! So random something it was! ))

Klezmer Gryphon

((Lol, did not expect that, but it works XD))

Lucian was about to say something along the lines of I wouldn't do that if I were you!, but the dwarf yanked open the door before he could say anything, unleashing an avalanche of brooms, mops and other things onto his companion.

"Wow... Looks like you got visited by the cleaning faerie!" Lucian exclaimed, unable to contain his laughter for the situation.

"Let me know if you see anything else, King Broom Closet" he continued before calming down enough to actually help.