Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Even the Ocean Cannot Stop Justice!

Started by visualspice, February 25, 2014, 11:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Leif wrinkled his nose, but only after a moment's pause- he rushed off to oblige.
Water was gushing everywhere, down the steps in the road and the evident panic through the town could be heard. But he had to ignore that for now- his focus was on Audric. If the waters kept up like this- they'd be drowned within the hour. And as much as Leif had many skills, he could swim- but he was no champion swimmer.

Finding the shed around back, his eyes groped into the darkness until he found what he was looking for. He made a face, but hefted up the hatchet before rushing through the water and back to the door. Eyeing it up, he didn't even give Audric warning before his hatchet began to bite into the wood with a few heavy swings.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Audric waited a moment, then slowly began to move around the room again, just in case he had missed something the first time.  Of course, no axe magically appeared within the room.  His own weapons would be useless against the heavy door -- the only good his little arsenal would do in this room would be to anchor him to the floor to help him drown.  If it came down to it, he would have to abandon his cloak as well. 

He had just circled the room and come back to the door when a THUNK sounded against the wood.  Leif, no doubt, he thought with a grin.  And just in time -- the water was fast approaching his waist. 

"I take it you found it!" he announced cheerfully.  "Do you know what you're doing, Cai?  Have you ever had to chop wood before?"

visualspice

"Shut up, Audric!" he growled, and just angrily wailed the hatchet into the door again and again- splinters wildly flying off with each strike- and eventually the door cracked open enough that Leif lifted his boot and smahed a kick into it, until it was open large enough for him to peer inside.

"Audric?"
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Ivory

Peering into the room, Leif would find himself staring at a body floating face-down in the dark water, lit only by the glow of the failing oil lantern held just out of view.  At the sound of his name, however, and appearance of Leif's head in the hole he had created, Audric shuffled past the corpse to offer Leif a grin.

The water was already climbing up his torso...

"You know, I'm probably not going to fit through there..."

visualspice

Leif snarled.
"Shut up and back away, Abigail." And he continued to wail into the wood until finally, the hole was large enough for him to tear the door open the rest of the way- and water gushed over him once it was free- and the corpse followed, so did a few other misc. items from within. Blinking, he peered over at Audric with a cemented frown.
"The whole city is flooding.... smells like ocean water," Leif said. Now with the building opened, it was obvious to see the rest of the town was about knee deep in water. "Come on. We have to figure out what is going on, but I have a sinking sensation this has to do with Attie- and those experiments they did to her."

Ivory

It was only because he dropped the lantern and grabbed onto the doorframe that ensured Audric, too, did not flow out into the street.  Once the bulk of the water had gushed out, Audric stepped outside and looked around with a deepening frown.

The City -- his City -- would quickly slip underwater at this rate...  "Why didn't you tell me the whole city was flooding?" he asked softly, all mirth gone from his voice and replaced with a dread.  In only a moment, he was pulling a soggy piece of paper out from his pocket and offering it to Leif.

"He was holding this.  It's from a map of the palace, and this..."  He tapped the edge of it.  "This is the old tower in the north wing.  What does this have to do with Attie?"

He glanced towards his sister's house -- close enough that he could stop in to check on her -- then deliberately turned away and made his way back towards the palace.  Now, more than ever, was a time to choose priorities and to stick by them.

visualspice

Leif observed the soggy piece of paper with a frown. What did this have to do with Attie?

"Everything."

He turned away and began to trudge through the water.
"Attie's powers are water based... and her nightmares.. she... did she tell you anything about them?" He spared only one glance back to Audric as he pushed onward through the waters.
"She used to tell me how she feared drowning everyone, something about killing a lot of people- but even she couldn't tell if her nightmares were real, or just a dream."
After a moment, he paused, keeping his back to Audric.
"Do you remember Waterdam?"

The city of Waterdam suffered a great flood that no one can recollect the proper reason for- it was a  catastrophe- though none speculated mages, just a natural disaster. But the records for such a city had been lost several years ago-
and the mystery around it happened during the very same time Attie had disappeared...

Ivory

"Are you saying Attie had something to do with Waterdam?" Audric asked, chewing over the information as he splashed through the water after Leif.  He remembered hearing about it, of course...

Audric gave his head a slight shake.  "I don't understand.  How could she do...this?"

visualspice

Leif growled.
"I don't know- but I'm starting to put together the pieces that I know from when we found Attie, to what she's told me and now this..." He shook his head. "I don't know what to believe but if I'm right... we have to find her and figure a way to turn off her powers. If it's her powers causing the flooding, and if her dreams are actually true- then this is only the beginning. And the entire city will be under water within the hour."

Ivory

"If we find her, won't you turn off her powers?" Audric wondered.  Leif was a Mordecai, after all...  And isn't that what he did?

Even if nobody knew it.

But, from past experience, Audric knew Leif had to be pretty close for his power to work...

visualspice

Leif frowned.
"It's not as.. easy as that, Audric. I think the church did something to her powers- I.. she was able to use them infront of me."

Ivory

"Oh."

That was the only response Audric had to that!

So, the Church was kidnapping mages and doing terrible things to them...to make them stronger?  Wasn't that the very opposite of what the Church stood for?  What it was supposed to stand for?

"This way," he said, breaking off of their path suddenly.  Their new course took them through a narrow alley, barely big enough for them to pass through together, then up towards the palace wall.  Audric fished a key out of his pocket, then and waded into a pool to open a gate leading into the palace grounds.

"The entrance to the tower is right over there."

visualspice

Leif hesitated as he followed after Audric. His ears perked up to the sounds of the people- all panicking in their houses, which caused him to hesitate evne more. It was evident in his stance he was torn- make their way to the tower to quickly stop this- or see who they couldn't help rescue in this mess.

Ivory

Realizing he was losing his shadow, Audric paused as well and half-turned with one hand on the gate.  He studied his friend, reading his hesitation and concern in his face and in the way he held himself.  After a moment, he placed a hand on Leif's shoulder to draw his attention back to him and to give him some comfort.

"Leif, we can either help the individual or we can help the whole town."  It was basic triage -- and Audric had long ago made up his mind that the town -- that his goals as the Shrouded Swordsman -- would always come before anything else.

visualspice

Turning back to Audric he nodded and steeled himself.
"Right." What good was saving a few when many could perish if they didn't get to Attie.
"Lead the way."

Ivory

Audric's smile was grim, and he nodded and did as he was bid.

Through the gate was the garden -- the remains of the garden, anyway -- and really just one corner of it.  Fortunately, their destination was not far...

"How well do you swim?" he asked, frowning a little over the water.  Even from where he stood, he could feel the swift tug of a current, likely flowing downstream and into the town...  It would probably be nothing hazardous -- but you simply never knew.

visualspice

"I can swim well enough. But let's get to higher grounds- and fast." Leif was scowling by now, the waters in the city were rising fast and though he was panicked, he was still pissed someone could have done this with Attie. And though his hunch had not yet been confirmed, he had a sinking sensation it would be soon enough.

Ivory

Another nod, and Audric was wading forward into the water.  There was a sudden drop that plunged the Swordsman into the water up to his chest and made him grimace.

This was really annoying.  That's what this was.

"Cai, there's a drop right here," he cautioned.  Leif was a good four inches shorter than he was -- the drop would put him in water nearly up to his chin.  The current was probably washing away the soft dirt of the flower beds...  His wife would be devastated...

A flicker of movement caught his attention, then, and he frowned.  Guards.  Wasn't that just what they needed just now?  It seemed they were going to have to fight their way to the tower...

(OOC: I figured we needed some action!  I'm not sure they're Audric's guards, though -- because it would make no sense for them to be patrolling the garden during a flood!  But they can be if you think the Church wouldn't be guarding Attie for maximum devastation!)

visualspice

Ironically, the guards spotted were running for their lives, and cursing up a storm about their armor. Leif breathed a sigh of relief when they left-a nd took a step forward, forgetting about the dip tha twas there and he nearly went under.

Scowling, Leif was bobbig his head in and out of the water as he half swam his way closer to Audric.
"We need to get out of this water and fast," he hissed. But as the two were pushing their way through the raging sea waters and rounded a bend- there were another pair of guards but these ones much more focused on...

"IT'S THE SHROUDED SWORDS MAN AND HIS SIDE KICK, THE MASKED MORDECAI! PROTECT THE CASTLE!!"

Leif, pissed off, swore between his teeth before trying to splash his way out of the line of fire as the men were taking up their crossbows- and just before they got a chance to be fired at, Leif grabbed a hold of his companion and yanked him behind a stone wall.

Panting as the waters were making it nearly impossible for him to stand anymore, he peered over  at his 'friend'.
"You know, I'm not your side kick," he scowled. The masked mordecai existed before Audric even dawned a mask! "And this might have been easier had we not decided to dawn our masks..."
It wasn't the most brilliant plan, but it seemed a bit too late for that."

Ivory

Audric laughed out loud in response to his friend's outrage, in spite of the seriousness of their situation.  "I didn't realize you were so petty," he teased.  They were on Audric's turf, after all, and most of the people in Allar only heard about the Masked Mordecai in conjunction with the Shrouded Swordsman.

Now, down to business...  Audric glanced around, then and smirked as a few of the plants Nera had kept in the fountain bobbed by.

"You know," he said as he snatched the plants.  "When I was little, I wanted to be a frog."  He fished out his dagger from his belt and began to slice into the green plants.  "My mother pointed out that frogs could stay underwater much longer than a boy...and since my parents could never agree on anything, my father brought home one of these."

By the end of his little speech, he had a pair of breathing straws.  They were tricky to use -- and he hadn't used one in years -- but as long as they could stay underwater, the guards should walk right by them...  After all, Audric couldn't see his own hands, the misplaced dirt was so thick!

"Here," he said, offering one to his colleague.  "I'd rather not murder my guards, if you don't mind."

Without a word of explanation further, he stuck the hollow tube in his mouth and disappeared under water, leaving only the bobbing plant where he had been.  And then, as Leif watched, the plant made its way at an almost natural pace away from the wall towards their goal.