Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

After the Storm [Lion rawr!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 05, 2014, 10:39:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

The entire way to the barracks, Yasmin kept waiting for someone to pop out and scream, "Just kidding!", after which both she and Agrian would be dragged away to executed. She kept waiting for it, and didn't stop bracing for it, until both she and the other gladiator were locked away in their holding cell.

It was only then that reality began to sink in. They were alive. They had gone into the arena, and yet both of them had come out alive. For a moment she just stood there in the middle of the grimy room, staring at the backs of the guards as they left. And then it hit Yasmin suddenly and she laughed so abruptly it hurt her side. Clutching her side with a groan, she turned to look at the man in wonder.

"You actually did it," she said, shaking her head and grinning. "I can't--you actually pulled it off!" She laughed again, and before she knew it she was hugging him, something she rarely did. But it was also rare she felt such elation, such genuine relief and happiness.

"You ginormous, wonderful, genius of an idiot! I'm alive! You're alive! Faruq and Habib are gone! This is crazy! How did you know that would work? Because goddess, you gave me a goddamn heart attack out there! I could have killed you! I was trying to kill you, haha! But you did it! I don't even know what you did, but you did! How did you do it? And why the hell didn't you warn me, seriously, I was gonna KILL you."

Her hug had turned rather rough toward the end there--less of a hug, and more of a tight squeeze around his ribs like she was trying to crack them. Because honestly, she didn't know whether to be elated or scared or angry about the entire situation, so instead she settled on a mixture of the three.

Good thing he had his helmet on, or it might have been his neck getting that treatment.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

Agrian wasn't going to pretend the hug was unexpected, nor did it make him any more comfortable than he already wasn't.  But he didn't cringe and silently waited until Yasmin's prattling was done before he carefully peeled himself away from her.  Truth be told, he didn't really believe they weren't going to be killed either.  At least not yet anyway, and not right away.  Admittedly, the move the Shah had made to execute their masters had been an interesting one and one that allowed the woman to save face while still showing that such 'defiance' would not be tolerated.

Agrian blinked at Yasmin for a long time, unsure how to respond before he cleared his throat.  "No you weren't.  Going to kill me that is," he said resolutely, feeling quite sure of it.  "I may have helped hone everything you know.  But I never taught you everything I know."  He glared at her in the dim lighting, but then something happened to his lips that he didn't quite offer to anyone else, but felt he was safe enough in the 'privacy' of their holding cell that no one else would see.  He smiled.  And that was evident only through the fangs that came down on either side of his mouth from his traditional serpent helmet.

It was amused, easy, but brief and he shook his head, the remnant of that grin still playing on his scruffy lips.  "But truth be told...we're luckier than you're giving due credit.  We might still be killed after all.  Shah Persea, however, can't afford to allow her new subjects to see she's unable to deal with a little dissent.  And what kind of image would she send if she executes a few slaves.  We die by the dozen, easily tossed away like a Merchant Prince's unfinished dinner as scraps for the hounds.  Of what importance could we possibly be to anyone...but our Masters.  Now...I don't think I need to tell you how that turned out," he said softly.

His head was hot underneath his helmet and he gently slid it off, in the solitude of that cell and walked over to the water basin to douse his head and face with cool water and took a few drinks for himself.  "Don't get too excited just yet, Yasmin.  We're still in the frying pan."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Well, thank Hakeshna he was so certain she couldn't have killed him, because she had certainly been trying! Yet even as that absolved a little of her guilt--he was the only person she felt comfortable calling 'friend', and yet like the brothers in the arena, she had tried to tear him down to the roar of the crowd--the gladiator in her was concerned, because her performance had been terrible and she needed to train harder.

But she pushed those darker thoughts from her head because Agrian was actually smiling beneath that helmet. It was brief and hard to see, but it was there. No hard feelings, right? They both understood. It was just the way of things here, in this life.

With a snort, Yasmin joined Agrian at the water basin and punched his shoulder lightly. "You fool, don't invoke luck in this! You could have just told me everything went according to plan and I'd have been all awestruck. It's what I would've done. You're way too humble. Now scooch, I want some."

Nudging her way in, she splashed her face with water and took a several long drinks as well, not realizing how damned dehydrated she was until she started drinking. She must have sweat everything out through blood and fight and nerves! Between gulps of water, she looked over at Agrian. "So...what are you saying, exactly? You think we're not getting off this easy? I mean...you don't think she'd like...kill us after making such a big deal about how it was our masters that failed us?"

She shook her head, grinning. "It always annoyed me, but I guess it's good people think us slaves are idiots."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Lion

"I guess because there is some truth in it, if you give it some thought.  A slave is nothing more than a readily-able servant.  Most aren't even able to speak clearly, much less are taught to read, or given anything more to do with their lives. And perhaps learning how to use that illusion is the greatest asset a slave could have, if he truly does know what to do with himself - or herself," Agrian commented, even as she practically drank half the basin.

"But...don't give me too much credit.  I couldn't have known she wouldn't have sentenced us right along with our former masters.  Our chances of being executed are still rather high, I'd say, if you want me to be honest..."  And he gave Yasmin a devious smirk.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Rhindeer

Yasmin stared at him, hands half raised to her mouth and dripping the water that was cupped in them as his words slowly registered. Oh dear Goddess, was he serious?!

"Hold on. Let me get this straight. Are you seriously telling me you really had no idea how this would go?" she said slowly, still gaping at him. "You did all that, told me everything would be fine, and...and you had--have!--no way of knowing that? And we might still die? What the hell are you smiling about?!"

She had no idea how he did it, how he could look so confident while making such a statement. Sure, she could hide her fear behind humor, but that wasn't quite the same thing as insufferable confidence!

Lion

"The same reason you laugh," Agrian replied, his mouth crooked.  "It's the only way I can stay sane.  At least in the face of all this.  Despite what could've happened, it doesn't change what did and that's what we at least have in our favor.  I have a feeling the Shah will want to see for herself what brought about this sudden defiance, though just be glad it was I that caught the center of her ire, rather than you, though you were meant to be killed by my blade."

His expression sobered considerably and he sat down on one of the downy cots.  The holding cells were considerably cooler than he expected with the walls designed to shed some heat and at least part of them were built below ground to keep cooler.  The undried water collected and dripped from the end of his nose and he felt the droplet seep onto his palm.

His mouth hardened.  "Do you think we could just go back to being the subservient slaves we were meant to be...assuming she lets us live?  Er...sorry, I.  I didn't mean to assume you were automatically in league with me.

"I have an inkling that's what she would expect of us, possibly seeing her mercy a warning sign, and others like us, that if there is in fact a 'next time' she might not be so inclined to show kindness."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin raked her fingers through her short hair, wetting it, and flicked her wrists to get rid of the excess. "No, it's fine," she said at last, and pressed a hand to her bandaged side. "Using 'we'. Look, I'm gonna be honest with you, Agrian. But this has to stay between us--not that you'd tell anyone, just...you know." Not trusting people was, at this point, merely habit. "I don't know how much longer I can do this."

She began to pace. She was tired enough to drop, but filled with too much energy to be still. "Fighting, I mean. Killing people. Always dreading I'll have to fight someone I know. Having to kill someone I know. I'm sick of it. I make myself sick! Agrian, it's no way to live, but I keep doing it because I'm too scared to just...give up. But it's making me crazy. I mean, look at this!"

She held her hand up, wiggling her fingers so he could see the black tattoos on each one. "I remember each one, you know. Even though I don't always know their names. So no. You can use 'we', here," she said, and gave a lopsided smile. "I'm with you. Because I just...something's got to give. I can't keep doing this. I can pretend, if that's what you think we need to do, if that's what the Shah wants, if that'll get us out of this alive. But I just...can't."

Lion

He knew too well what it was like to bear the burden knowing you had to kill those you had become acquainted with.  Friends, brothers, sisters, in arms and blood and for those that had yet to harden their hearts, they often stayed up night, and perhaps even lost the will to live.

He didn't know what to say, for the first time in his life, before he stood up suddenly and hugged her all on his own.  He stayed that way for a moment before stepping back and falling into the cot.  "Then it's set in motion, and there's no going back.  I for one agree with you.  I couldn't just go back to the way things were.  You're not even a person anymore...you're not even animal.  You're just a blood stain waiting to be cleaned up....  And nobody gives a damn."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin was taken by surprise when Agrian actually hugged her, and for a moment she hardly comprehended what was happening. She had always been a tactile, open person before her life got twisted and taken from her, and Agrian had found himself on the receiving end of that a few rare times, but never the opposite. For a moment, she just stood there in awkward disbelief, but then, finally, she wrapped her arms around him and gave him a gentle squeeze back--and it was a genuine one, not a "I don't know whether to hug you or kill you" hug.

But soon the awkward moment was over, and yet, she was glad for it. Hugs were funny, stupid things. It made her feel a little better, a little more human.

It also drained out some of the tense, nervous anxiety.

Exhaustion catching up with her now that she had relaxed a little, Yasmin took a seat, sorely, on her own cot. "So what do we do now?" she asked at length, and cracked a grin. "I mean, aside from get all gushy at each other, haha--seriously, none of this leaves this room. But I mean, you can't keep doing it. I can't keep doing  it. But we're stuck here." She tossed a pebble at the wall of their cell.

"And we're going to be sold again. If we don't die here, of course. Then it'll be right back to the ring with us, and as we've both established, that's just not something either of us want or can put up with. I know if they sent me back out there after all this, I think...I don't know. I don't know if I could just throw down my sword and refuse to fight, because I don't know that the other person won't just gut me. I mean, you told me you wouldn't hurt me, and what'd I do to you?"

Lion

"I can't say I know what's going to happen," Agrian confessed.  His eyes were hard, as he stared up at the lantern lit cieling.  The light was too dim, even for a barracks holding cell and made their situation seem even more grim.  "We will be sold yes. Unless the goddes might miraculously favor us and the Shah decides to be generous and give us our freedom."

Agrian barked a harsh laugh, one that faded quickly.  "I think the beter question is, not what we'll do, but how long this can last?  This whole system.  People become so complacent, satisfied with their lots in life because this is how things are, justified simply because this is how it's always been.  How long will it be before something drastic happens?  What will happen when a slave, a handful even, wisens up...rises up and says, 'Enough!'?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Wasn't that you today?" Yasmin said with a wry grin. "Saying, 'enough'? Isn't that kinda what we're both saying now? Of course..."

She scooted backwards onto the cot so she could prop her back up against the wall. "Of course, we're not a handful. And we might not even make it out of here, heh. But what you're talking about...you're talking rebellion."

And then she glanced around, as though paranoid they might be walked in on at any moment. "Supposing we survive this...you think that's possible?" And as much as she hated it, she let a little hope creep into her voice, because she liked the sound of that: of slaves rising up, collectively, because they had had enough, demanding their freedom and taking it for themselves--and throwing their masters to the lion pit instead.

Lion

Her eyes weren't the only one that shot to their holding cell door.  Agrian's did so quickly however, without moving his head so much as a fraction of an inch before he looked back at Yasmin and his expression hardened.  "It's only possible if people want it bad enough..." he said lightly, softly, in a voice barely above a whisper.

"And I want it, Yasmin.  I want it bad.  There's only so much we can tell at what's going to happen after what I did in the Arena.  People are going to talk.  We'll have to listen to just what they say.  Any mention of rebellion, might not be taken so easily, so kindly.  Some slaves actually don't mind their station, especially if it's better than ours, some don't have half a mind to even imagine the possibility of freedom.  But if I go through with this...and I see nothing saying I won't, we'll have to be careful, Yas.  And we'll have to find out who we can really trust."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

"Go through with 'this'?" Yasmin repeated, head tilted while a mixture of curiosity and concern played across her face. She leaned forward in interest, then winced and grabbed at her side when the motion hurt. Ugh. Thank goodness it wasn't a deep wound, but it was still deep enough to hurt.

"Alright, two things! One," she said, holding up a tattooed fingered, "what, exactly, is this? And two--" She held up a second finger. "--why are you saying I? You're not alone in this. Whatever you're doing, Agrian, count me in on it. Tell me how I can help, what I can do. I know it's gonna be dangerous, whatever it is, but..." She motioned around them and barked a laugh that hurt her ribs. "Danger's kind of our life, eh?"

She gave a little shrug, and her smile turned softer and more genuine as she looked over at him. "I know not everyone's gonna be so hot about this stuff as we are, but we can't be the only ones fed up with the whole thing. Maybe all it'll take is just...some little sign to show them they're not alone. Shit, I thought I was alone! Then you did...that. And now here were are, having this conversation, talking madness and dreams." She shook her head. "Can you imagine what would happen if one day everyone just refused to fight?"

Lion

"I mean staying committed to...resistance to put it lightly. And...to be honest, I never really thought of myself as a leader of men.  I know what I want, I know I don't want to die in the Arena, in that pit of blood and sand.  But if we're the only two who want this, how can we be so sure others will be willing to join us.  That is why we must be careful.  A slave who doesn't know anything better than what he has won't necessarily listen to all the reasons why we resist, why we want freedom, perhaps even something more.  We would need to find others who think like we do, who are fed up just the same."

Agrian turned to look at her and his expression even turned into something of a sardonic smile.  "I would say we should speak to our friends, what little of those remain in a place like the Colosseum.  But people you know, talk to them, scope them out.  Don't just blurt it all out, don't be too pushy, like how I know you can be."  He stuck his tongue out at her.  "I mean, just talk to them.  And even more importantly, listen to them.  How they feel, how they think, if they think at all.  And it's also important to find out who they know and how those people likely feel in turn.  Hell, maybe even scope out their owners if that's even possible.  The more we know the better."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Rhindeer

Yasmin stuck her tongue right back out at Agrian. "Pushy, my foot. Where do you think I got it from?" she teased, but she knew he was right. This would require more tact, more stealth, and more thought.

Running a hand through her short hair, she looked thoughtfully up at the ceiling. "Hmm. I know a few people I can chat at. Unfortunately, most of the people I know would be receptive to the idea are dead. Big surprise, I know. But I can scope people out easily enough. I may be pushy--" She grinned pointedly at him. "--but I'm fairly sure I can get people to talk. Maybe try to give a little nudge in the right direction, plant a little dissent..."

She rubbed her side. "Honestly, Agrian, I think most slaves aren't content. I think they're scared. And I don't blame them." She shrugged and looked away as she admitted, "I am, too."

visualspice

She couldn't sleep that night, tossing and turning about on the plush layer of pillows that made up her bed. It was too hot, and she was too anxious, and after tossing about for a few more hours, she threw off her covers and rose from the bed. Kehfta peered up at her lazily, the cheetah's tail wagging a few times before curling up against her body. Peresa made but one motion to the cat not to follow, so she did not bother to rise. However, her green eyes remained upon Persea until the young woman was out the door.

She didn't know where she was going, or what to do with herself, but what started as a pacing through the halls, and her briskly waving off the guards not to fuss over her, she found herself on the other end of her palace, near to where the dungeon was kept. And near to where those two disobedient slaves were kept.

She kept thinking about the man's eyes, those terrifying, angry eyes. He had spared the female slave's life, and though she was thankful she did not have to witness that, part of her could not get over the idea as to why.

Curiosity got the better of her, and before hse knew what she was doing, she was waving off the guards to be silent and still, and then making her way through the dungeon walks. It was so dark here, so cold, she felt her hot body shivering as her sandaled feet shifted across the grounds. She must have appeared other worldly, for the only light that shown in was that of the moon, and it caught the translucent garb of her night dress that hung off of her body, and she- wthout her wig, dawned the natural curls that fell in bouncy spirals upon her shoulder.

She hadn't heard anyone speaking, any of the dungeon dweller's away, so when she approached Agrian and Yasmin's cell, she remained as quiet as a mouse, stepping clean up against the bars and peering curiously within.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

[I don't think cheetahs have green eyes]

Someone was here.

Agrian's eyes shot open and he held his breath.  He wasn't all that much of a heavy sleeper.  He'd never had been.  Even if these dungeon cots were a lot more comfortable than anything to be found in the Colosseum, to be sure.  It was a decent night's sleep, though his mind was rampant with thoughts from earlier, of Habib, of that bastard's head decorated with a noose.  It was a lovely sentiment and let Agrian's mind rest easy for a brief moment.

But now, now was not the time for sleep and he heard the soft crunch of a sandal on a stone floor that made his eyes jerk open.  He reached for his helmet, which rested beside his pillow, just in the shadow of the cot above him and slunk it over his head.

He sat up in bed, throwing his legs over the side and viewed a shape through the dim lighting, a head through the iron barred window of the cell door.  "What?" he asked, speaking plainly.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

OOC: Of course they can XD This is a fantasy rp 8D
You just go to believe
-----------

Her breath hitched in her throat the second she saw the moonlight gloss across the man's helmet. And even through the shadows, she could see the dangerous glint in his eyes. She clung to her meager robe, and tried to steel herself, but if he were to observe her thoroughly, the moonlight was shining across her trembling lips.

"You do not sleep?" she asked, her voice between that of a command and a whisper.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

[But it doesn't make any sense! :U *nag nag whine nag*]

"You came all the way down here to ask me that?" Agrian said sharply, clearly skeptical.  His eyes remained shadowed by the brow of his helmet and only part of his beard visible by the bottom  near the serpent's fangs that was the face of his helmet. 

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Breath hitching fearful in her throat, she held it a moment, green eyes dancing in the moonlight. The way the shadows cast over his face made him appear menacing, as wicked as the snake, and she felt a lump form solid in her throat. When she released she had to breath, the breath was released through trembling lips as she observed him in the tense silence they shared.

"No," she told him quickly, through a whisper. She began to regret coming here. This was surely not the way to calm her mind, for her heart was beating so fast, it was deafening.
"My mind has been ill at ease from your display," she told him, confidence in her words, even if it was that she was truly lacking. "I wanted to see it for myself, the very slaves who defied my orders."

Tags: