Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

House of the Golden Dragon.

Started by MasonWolfy, July 02, 2014, 11:06:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasonWolfy

-Izal County, Draydon Keep-

The small yet prosperous county of Izal at the edge of the Thunderblack mountains was Home of the banner of the Golden Dragon. The Lord of this county was up at the time the sun was just peeking over the horizon like a child who wanted to stay hidden. He looked out to the beginning of the great plains from his dragon's roost in the tallest tower of the keep.

He stroked his brown beard as he thought of what duties would be on his ever growing list. the sound of claws raking the ground made him turn his head slightly to see his Dragon and his Bailiff who was a 5ft tall reptilian woman dressed in fine clothes. " My liege, We have surprisingly a few meetings for this morning... one with your Marshal, your Spymaster and one with the owner of the town's tavern... we have the feast your requested tonight and sent out invitations to out neighbors."

"Good, I hope the meetings are quick and painless" he said with a puff of fire exiting his mouth. today was going to be an average day... or was it?

DaGlobster

Outside the doors of Draydon Keep, a massive carriage pulled up, pulled by a large, woolly rhinocerous-looking beast. The carriage was at least three times the size of a normal one, and instead of fine craftsmanship so commonly found on the carriages made for nobles, this one was crude and brutal looking, with spiked plates of armor on the front and blades protruding from the doors. The rhinocerous-like being itself was armored in thick plates of black steel.

The carriage was open-topped, and had two occupants sitting inside. Anybody with knowledge of tactics or military techniques would figure out it was less a transport carriage and more of a battle chariot. One was Borzclubb himself, and another was one of his bodyguards, who was encased from head to toe in a suit of plate armor that likened him to some sort of black, metallic titan. Laying on his lap, he had a sword almost as big as he was, a singular sheet of sharpened steel that looked like it could cleave through a regiment in a single swing.

Borzclubb's armor was much more modest, and he only wore a horned helmet, a gut-plate, and a pair of pauldrons. Resting on his seat next to him was his club. Despite his apparently humble equipment, Borzblubb was a good head and shoulders taller than the armored titan that was his guard, even while seated.

When the carriage stopped, Borzclubb stared up at the gates of the keep, and then sat back in the carriage, which rocked as he shifted his weight. He was waiting for someone to appear and take his invitation. which he held between two massive fingers.

MasonWolfy

A veteran Soldier of the keep's army walked toward the battle chariot like carriage, he wore chainmail and a cape that matched the Keep's flag that flew next to the Adelan flag. the soldier looked at the two then at the invitation to see his lord's wax stamp which is the only thing he needed to see. " Open the gates! The Lord's guests are arriving."

The large wooden and iron doors opened to let the carriage in. the courtyard was large and big enough for a whole army to stand in. Nigel had just finished his meetings and walked out of his home's door with his son who was about 14 in age on his left and one of his Marshal on his right. "Ah, It's great to see Captain Borzclubb Treeswinger in the flesh." he said as he walked toward the carriage as one of his servants opened the large door for Borzclubb and his bodyguard.

Nigel remembered fighting on opposite sides with the Gaping Maw group and respected their sheer power in a small army. He was dressed in his old armor with his bear fur cloak hanging off of his back.

DaGlobster

Borzclubb regarded Nigel with a smile someone would give to an old foe. Borzclubb remembered the iconography of his army with mixed feelings. It had been a hard fought, bloody battle for both sides. Massive casualties were had on both sides, but it was the charge from this very chariot that finally broke the enemy lines in two, ultimately calling the battle in The Gaping Maw's favor.

It was a good fight, and Borzclubb respected Nigel for his ability as a commander and as a fighter.

"Nigel! It's a shame you didn't catch me in that battle, it was quite the thing to see. How've you been?" Borzclubb said cheerfully as he stepped down from the chariot carriage, his bodyguard following him. Borzclubb's eyes then fell on the boy by Nigel's side.

"Didn't know you had a son, Nigel. Scrappy looking young rascal, looks like he's gonna be big and strong like his father!" He laughed, and the bodyguard grunted to acknowledge the joke. Borzclubb stopped to give Nigel a Mountain Ogre salute, which consisted of slamming one's fist against their chest while offering the other hand for a shake.

His hand was big enough to engulf Nigel's entire arm, but if Nigel accepted the handshake, he'd be gentle.

MasonWolfy

"I've been well old friend, continuing my bloodline as you can see." He chuckled as he walked toward the mountain ogre. The young boy didn't follow but stayed close to the Marshal. Nigel was far shorter than Borzclubb. the Keep reached up to the mountains and was built into them for the wall protecting it ended at and went into the mountain sides making it harder and nearly impossible to besiege.

"Yes he is, When I pass on he'll get my land. But he's still learning under my wing until then..." He shook the Ogre's hand and did a similar salute but with a open palm which was common in his army "How has the mercenary work been since our battle in these here mountains? I heard it's been slow recently." 

DaGlobster

"Slow? Maybe for the smaller groups, but we're doing just fine. Got the boys camped out in Essyrn, scooping coffer-fulls of gold out of the pockets of desperate sultans. Slave uprisings, rebels, the country's a gold mine, really." He explained, straightening his beard.

He glanced at Nigel's son once more, and lifted finger to point at him. "Heard your father, boy? might want to be careful, Ogres have long lifespans!" He said, and broke into a fit of hearty laughter, raising a hand as if to give Nigel a stiff pat on the back, but he thought better of the idea.

Borzclubb looked up at the facade of Draydon Keep, and nodded, acknowledging its size. "Why don't we head inside, Nigel? I assume we've got plenty of catching up to do."

MasonWolfy

Nigel let out a hearty chuckle at the remark toward his son who seemed to not really care. "Yes, we have plenty to catch up on." he responded as he stroked his brown beard. " Marshal Theon, could you take Derek and show him how to use a sword, start with the wooden ones first."

"of course my liege." the armored Marshal said with a salute before taking the young heir to the training grounds with a hand on his shoulder.

"Come, let's head inside and get warm." Nigel gave Brozclubb a pat on the back before walking toward the main portion of the keep where he lived.

DaGlobster

To Borzvlubb, Nigel's pat on the back was more of a pat on the top of his hip, but he understood the intent. He found Nigel's desire to get warm amusing. If anything, he was closest to his element in these mountains than in any other place. He had missed this environment, with its breakneck winds, sudden blizzards, and sheer rock faces.

Borzclubb maneuvered through the doorway after Nigel, and found himself taking in the sight of his hall. Wasn't too shabby, a tad bit impressive, actually. He stayed quiet for now, allowing his thundering footsteps to be the only sounds produced by him. He was sort of expecting to receive a grand tour, but he would be comfortable heading straight for the feast.

"I see your starting Derek off young. That's good, he'll need the practice. I remember I was only a wee lad at 25 when I killed my first man." He reflected, his eyes caught on the tapestries and embroideries. His bodyguard stayed stoic, never looking in any direction but straight ahead.

MasonWolfy

"Aye... My house has many enemies and I might not be here when they attack. it's best to prepare for the worst." he answered as he led them into the main hall which was decorated with what little trophies he had. He too loved the cold of the mountains but the wrath of his Bailiff and wife was harsher than the dragons nearby. He took his seat at the table which was bare at the moment but the smell of preparing food came from the kitchen's stairs.

" I actually have custom built seats for Mountain Ogres. I've had several clans and tribes come and negotiate with me over the last few months." He said referring to the three large seats that were big enough for them.

DaGlobster

"Ah, perfect!" Borzclubb said as he put his mass down on one of the chairs, bis bodyguard followed suit, taking his helmet off to reveal a scarred head covered in metal plates bolted directly into the skull.

"Other clans, eh? You wouldn't have happened to have harbored any of those Iron Tusks here, would you? Horsetearer here's from the Iron Tusks, aren't you?" He asked his bodyguard, and the armored Ogre nodded. "My name is Hartel Horsetearer, second son of Dursol Horsetearer. It is a pleasure to make you known to me, Man-kin." The armored Ogre said, and bowed his head before sitting down as well.

Borzclubb took a deep draft of the air, and let out a pleased sigh. "Who else can we expect?"

MasonWolfy

Nigel tried to remember since the last one was a few months ago. " I remember the Iron tusks coming here to negotiate a deal me about traveling through my land to steal livestock from my neighbor to the north." For a generous man he was also a very cunning person. two of his servants came by with a jug of wine and some goblets for the three.

" I'm very glad to be acquainted with you Hartel Horsetearer. your tribe's actions have caused some infighting with my neighbor's people and I was able to forge a claim on his land." He put his hands together and rested his head on his hands. "I invited the leader of another mercenary group, forgot the lads name though... a few nobles from other counties and the duke from the nearest duchy." by the time he was done talking, the servants had poured their drinks and left the jug for them.

DaGlobster

"Dukes and nobles? Sounds like my kind of crowd." Borzclubb said with a sarcastic look on his face as he took up his large wine goblet and drank heartily from it. Mountain Ogres weren't known for their table manners, so some wine would escape from the sides of the goblet and either stain the beard around his mouth or run down from the corner of his mouth in small rivulets.

"HIq qab." Hartel spoke up in Ogreish, and Borzclubb stopped drinking to pay attention to what he had to say. "Tu'lu' latlh vay'?" Hartel continued, and Borzclubb patted him on the shoulder. "Yltuv, Hartel" Borzclubb replied, and he turned his head to look at Nigel.

"I'd hate to impose on your hospitality, Nigel, but Hartel here doesn't drink wine. He was wondering if you had any ale." Borzclubb said as he poured The contents of Hartel's goblet into his own.

MasonWolfy

Nigel took a long drink from his wine as the two spoke in native tongue. he set the goblet down and let out a small puff of fire from his mouth like a infant dragon just starting to blow flames. "Oh, I don't mind. some prefer Ale over wine and I respect that..." He held up hid hand a snapped his fingers to grab one of the Servant's attention. "would you go and get our friend's bodyguard a tankard of ale... I would also bring out several kegs for the other guests as well."

The Servant bowed and without a word went off to do their job " I have a cousin who's down in Essryn, He's on a pilgrimage for all the gods of Le'raana... Personally I prefer the Father Dragon as my god, but he's happy with what he worships."

DaGlobster

"Everybody finds their creators on their own terms, that much is true." Borzclubb remarked, and Hartel nodded in acknowledgement. "The Ogreish gods have never held much sway with me, personally. They dictate life in an old, stone-set fashion. No good for a mercenary like me." He continued, and set the wine goblet down. He grew oddly quiet, the current topic seemingly provoking some kind of solemnity from him.

MasonWolfy

The silence wasn't just heard by Nigel but he felt it. "Sorry... Religion is a more private matter than one to talk aloud about." he sighed before taking a drink of his wine and his servant rolling a whole barrel of ale in for Borz's bodyguard.

" But good news seems to be arriving from all of my allies as of late. The Dwarves in these mountains have stumbled upon a whole cave full of gems and the dragons above speak of another Blaze of hatchlings coming to this world." He seemed to be very fascinated with dragons, he does ride one and breath fire like one too.

DaGlobster

"Good for the dwarves, I suppose. I'd be careful with them, however. They could be running a charity, and it'd still be for their own profit." he said, resuming his speech. "As for the dragons, I'd say that's pretty good news. They're getting too scarce for their own good. My tribe hunts the beasts every now and then. The slaying of a dragon and the serving of its meat is reserved for only the greatest celebrations, though." Borzclubb said, and Hartel nodded.

Eagerly, Hartel took up the barrel of ale in both of his hands, and opened the tap, filling up his goblet.

MasonWolfy

"Dragon meat or anything from a dragon that is not given is like spoiled food in my fa-" Nigel was interrupted by the large wooden doors they entered from burst open and a soldier running in with sweat covering most of his uniform.

"My liege. your brother's men are outside the gate, they are armed to the teeth."

"What in Zarolth's name is he doing? Does he want to start a war with his own blood?" Nigel growled as he forced himself up making the table shake as he stormed off to the courtyard. where his dragon was waiting for him to get on.

DaGlobster

Borzclubb and Hartel looked at each other as Nigel recieved the news an started to storm off, but they quickly stood up to follow him. "This should be interesting..." Borzclubb muttered to Hartel, who laughed in response before putting on his helmet and drawing his giant, ogre-ish greathammer. Borzclubb himself drew his signature reinforced club.

They would follow Nigel, intent on seeing what all the hub-bub was about.

MasonWolfy

When the two ogres came out, Nigel was on his dragon and a man in black armor rode in on his horse and stood in front of Nigel. "Jordan, what do you want this time? I treat you like you're my pure blood brother but you bring a army to my home."

The blacked armored man didn't respond for a while before stepping off of his horse. "We both know we have claims on eachother's lands. Three of my strongest versus three of yours, winner takes the loser's land and their army surrenders." Jordan spoke in a low voice almost as if he was sick at the moment.

Nigel let out a small growl before raising his hand and his Bailiff dressed in her tribal armor with some fur on what used to be the naked portions of her armor stepped forward wielding a staff with a blade on each end. Aside from her metal and fur armor, her dragon like scales shone in the sunlight that peaked over the mountains. Nigel himself then stepped off of his dragon and drew his sword. "I'll fight for my Marshal... Borzclubb, I suspect you don't want to watch on the sidelines."

DaGlobster

"Watch by the side? What do you take me for, Nigel?" Borzclubb said with a laugh as he downed the rest of his wine, then tossed the silver goblet to Hartel, who caught it. Borzclubb sauntered over to Nigel's side, a confident smile on his face and a hand resting on his club. He leaned down, studying the man in black. "Which one of these manlings do I punt, Nigel?" Borzclubb asked, not breaking his gaze on Jordan.