Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

One Foot Off The Boat [Open!]

Started by Ippsy, July 21, 2014, 09:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ippsy

The large knight waited as the small cog coasted towards the dock. Edward helped hoist the sails along with the captain and one other sailor. The cramped ship sailed them quite a way from Edward's home. The trip had been long, and seeing the solid land once more made the man sigh in relief.

Using the oars, the men directed the ship into the port. The young sailor quickly threw the gangplank down, running across it to tie off the tiny boat. Once he was sure it was secure, he gave Edward a signal. After weeks of sailing, he was finally back to good old ground. He picked up his pack, which held his armour and the last of his provisions, and walked the gangplank, turning to wave at the captain in farewell.

Now walking the docks, he looked around, taking in the sights that the docks of the town of Cerenis had to show him. Fishermen peddling wares and children running after each other. Nobody looked hungry, or scared. He smiled widely, walking faster, the armour in his back clanking with each step. He wondered what else the town had in store for him.

Alegretto

Jacob sat in front of a tavern strumming his lute and humming little tunes. The tavernkeeper was paying him pittance coin to play in front of the place in hopes of attracting customers. The minstrel would rather be inside, but there was no way he'd be heard over the din of a seaside tavern. It was far more productive for him to be playing outside. Even if it was giving him a sunburn.

He sighed between verses, watching with melancholy as one of the ships docked at the coastline moved away from it's mooring. Sometimes he wondered if he should just buy passage on one of those ships to a faraway land, somewhere he could forget his woes and abandon his past.

The feeling passed quickly, however. He knew that it was wishful thinking to believe that he might ever escape his feelings of guilt by putting more physical distance between himself and the place where he'd left his comrades to die. He sighed again as a large, foreign man with a suit of armor walked by. Now that was interesting, what was a foreign knight doing in a port city like Cerenis?

Ippsy

Taking stock of the buildings here, he noticed the telltale orange glow of dusk reflecting off the windows. He had lost track of time, walking along the streets, mentally mapping out the path he took from the docks to get to this point. Failing utterly, Edward decided the first purchase he will make tomorrow is a map of the town.

Stifling a small yawn, the man figured his next task, finding a bed to sleep. He asked a passing man about the closest place to purchase a room for the night. He was pleased to find the man very helpful, and followed his instructions dutifully. Many very interesting shops are seen on his short walk, he made a mental note to see them some other time. He found himself back at the docks.

Arriving at the small tavern, he saw a welcome sight. A minstrel! Gods, he hadn't seen one plucking at the strings of a lute since he was a boy, before the years tore his homeland apart. He tried to mask his excitement as he walked up to the man, taking stock in his appearance.

He looked... tired. A man well weathered by the years. Yet, something else struck him. This man seemed younger than his visage would belie. That is something he had seen much of, in the older soldiers and knights of his country. Men in their thirties looking thirty years older, hair grayed and faces drawn and tired. That is something he saw in this man. Tired. That didn't stop him from approaching, and throwing a coin to join his pittance. "Bard," he began, "do you know of any rooms for rent in this tavern? I have just come to port today and need a good rest."

Alegretto

Jacob looked with surprise as the knight threw a coin for him. Such generosity was rare, though always appreciated. When the knight spoke, Jacob had momentary difficulty understanding him. He'd never heard an accent of the same kind before, and now that he looked at it he didn't recognize the man's coin either. It wasn't Connlaothian, Adelan, Thanati, or any other type of money that he recognized.

This all added up to one thing in Jacob's head. This man was from across the sea. It was rare to meet such a man in the minstrel's experience, and he was genuinely delighted to have the opportunity.

He realized that he hadn't answered the man's question, and he composed a response quickly in his head. "I think their are some rooms still available. If you head inside and talk to the man at the counter, he's also the innkeeper, you should be able to get a room."

Ippsy

The large knight beamed widely. The man's accent was much different from back home, but so has it been for everyone he had met today. He made a move towards the door, placing his hand on it, before looking back at the bard. "Would you care to join me for a drink, minstrel? Or maybe even a meal. From the looks of you, that lute is heavier than you!"

Laughing heartily at his own jest, he stepped back to the minstrel, clapping a large hand on his back. "Come! I have many questions about this place, and who better to tell me than a man of song?"

Alegretto

The gregarious knight's words made Jacob look up in surprise. "Actually I'm on duty for another couple of hours," he said sheepishly. "If you're willing to wait until then, I can meet you inside, but before that I really shouldn't abandon my post."

The minstrel looked out at the harbor. "You know word travels in towns like this, and every tavern keeper knows all the others. I pays to stay on their good sides," he said with a laugh.