Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Red, Rude and Prude

Started by visualspice, September 02, 2014, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

And he wasn't the only one enjoying the cool, calm tranquility of the night. Beatrice had tried to go to bed, infact, she was in her ivory night gown already, but because her mind was still troubling her from the events from earlier, she found herself desiring some fresh air.

Pacing down the boat's side, she hadn't noticed Red's figure, a shadow against the dark, twinkling river, as she paused at an opposing corner of the boat from him and sighed as she looked out at the soft lapping, river waves.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

Red had taken a seat on the ship's wooden railing, his feet dangling over the edge of the ship as it cut through the water like a knife, its sleek hull bobbing gently in the foamy wake it left.

It really was nice to be free again. And on a boat too: he hadn't ridden on the water in a long time. He'd almost forgotten how refreshing the evening breeze could be as it tousled his hair behind.

Softly, he began humming, a tribal tune that he remembered from his childhood. He'd been away from Kishahn for so long now, only occasionally returning for this and that. But the memories of the lush jungle, of straw huts and rope ladders... of climbing up and down vines, leaping across treetops like the wild cat he was.

The tune carried along the wind and grew louder as his voice grew louder. His fingers drummed along a beat beside him, against the wood.

visualspice

At the humming, she bristled. And just as she was easing up to presume it was one of her hired hands, she stiffened again and peered over in the direction of the noise. It was unmistakably her partner, and the tune, something that was familiar, but she could not quite find it's name. But rather than disturbing the moment, as it was evident he had no idea she was near, she remained quiet and simply listened. It was a peaceful sound, and reminded her of her father. He used to hum a lot, too.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

The humming gave way to soft singing, perhaps a bit off tune but still mostly recognizable. The language was less so. Even so many years away from the jungles, the accented lilt of his tribesmen shone through clearly as he sang of the toucan and the jaguar, an old fireside hymn he'd memorized as a child. His drumming fingers picked up the pace as his voice began to rise.

visualspice

OOC: Ugh, I can't recall her hired helpers names lol I'll have to go back and add them to Beatrice's profile >_>

-------

And Lady Warner was lost in the moment, in the sounds of those off-beat, and off-key lyrics when a voice from the darkness joined him and Beatrice nearly leaped out of her skin. The hired cook, whom she knew shared a similar heritage with the supposed story from 'Red', had now joined him on the deck to help him finish the song.

And in the moonlight, as the song came to an end, he flashed the man a bright, white smile.

"It is nice to meet someone who knows that song."

And as the two men conversed, Beatrice kept herself nice and quiet, and strained her ears to try to get a better listen to what they might say.

Cambie

The additional voice had Red's neck turning so fast that he winced from the way it cracked lightly. Still, his mouth broke open in a jagged smile as his tune became even more off-key. They finished the song together.

"The same, bahn'de," the Kishahni replied with his native word for 'friend'. "You don't find many Kishahni around these parts."

He leaned forward and lowered his voice. "And fewer still on boats. How'd you end up working with Warner?"

visualspice

The man continued to smile, quite delighted in this new companion that was a symbol of sorts, of his home.

"Lucky, really. She found me on a whim, or so she claims. But I think it was the spirits guiding us. And so here I am, and I do well."

Cambie

"Yeah? She pays you well? Shocking."

She treated her employees respectfully, which he couldn't say about his own benefactors. So, at least that was something good about her. Even if she was a bit annoying.

He leaned forward and gave the man a nudge with his elbow and a wink. "She'd better pay you well. You make a mean fish."

visualspice

The man blushed, but it was lost in the darkness. But his smile still gleamed like the moon.
"You like fish?" he went on, removing a pipe as he went on to fill it with some of the local, dried tobacco.

Cambie

"No, but I do now," he laughed. Watching as the man lit his pipe with the strike of a match, he waited a moment before offering out his hand. "May I?"

visualspice

The man flashed another grin before offering over the pipe.
"Sure. But don't get too addicted to it. Those tobacco flakes, they hard to come by."
And as he handed over the pipe, he also introduced himself.
"The name's Yah'zuhl."

Cambie

"Yah'zuhl," he repeated as he took the pipe and gave it a couple gentle puffs. It was pungent to the taste, but as soon as he breathed it in he could feel a slight sense of calm falling over him.

With closed eyes he let the smoke linger in him for a moment longer before exhaling it in a gentle stream of smoke which dissipated into the night.

Opening his eyes again, he replied, "I'm Red."

And after a moment, corrected himself.

"Rajon-Toukta."
Rabid Cat.

visualspice

"Rajon-Toukta?" Yah'zuhl chuckled. "What sort of things did you do to your parents to warrant such a name? I guess your birth was difficult?"

Cambie

Red shrugged as he took another inhale of the tobacco, though inwardly he didn't want to answer the question. It was a sore spot for him, after all.

After a moment's silence however, he answered anyway with another shrug. "My birthing was fine. You can blame my older brother, he was the one who died at childbirth. Vaa'tanen tradtion. My ugly name is supposed to scare off the evil spirits, y'know. So I'm actually good luck."

visualspice

It was then Yah'zul nodded.
"Ah. That makes sense my friend. Perhaps your good luck will shine on us during this adventure? Lady Warner could use the luck. Hakeem... Hakeem is bad luck. And you... Rabid Cat," he chuckled, "You are good luck. Should prove interesting." And he gestured to take the pipe back. "I should return below deck. I was just curious as to why you and Lady Warner were out here at such an hour. But seems you both just needed fresh air."

And to realize she had been spotted, Beatrice's ears burned red as she tried to press herself more into the shadows. Perhaps Red wouldn't see her there. Either way, she kept her eyes on the Niafi, not anywhere else.

Cambie

Red's back stiffened at the mention of Beatrice, and the fact that she was out here. Had she heard everything the men had spoken about?

He didn't get a chance to wish the cook a good night, as his eyes spent the next few moments scanning the deck, looking for any signs of her lurking in the shadows. He didn't have to look far, for his gleaming eyes caught sight of her silhouette pressed up against a wall, gaze purposefully averted.

"You can stop dropping eaves, Miss Warner,"
he said coldly. "Looks like I have no more secrets to hide anyway."

visualspice

"You insult me, sir. As Yah'zuhl said, I craved fresh air," she told him, rising from where she sat and keeping her chin held high. "But I think I got enough of it. So I bid you two a good night." And she bowed her head rigidly to them both before moving to disappear back into the boat.

Cambie

He let her stomp off without so much as a word. All she was good for was turning the fresh evening air into hot breaths anyway. Suddenly the idea of leaving her stranded in the jungle wasn't so bad after all.

The next few days passed by without much incident, though Red had to take extra care to avoid Beatrice whenever he could. He passed the time trading stories with Yah'zuhl and helping out the boat crew with their daily tasks. Anything to avoid crossing paths with that stuck up killjoy.

On the sixth day, the boat finally approached an expanse of water stretching into the horizon: the ocean. As the river exited into the sea, the line of boats veered left and began traveling down the coastline.

Salty breezes became the norm, as did idle fishing over the side of the ship. Even the Kishahni tried his luck at it and managed to snag himself a little snapper, which he began cleaning and gutting right there on deck.

visualspice

He wasn't the only one avoiding the other, as Beatrice busied herself with other things. And by the time they were on the ocean she felt more at  peace. Avoiding a man for so long on a ship so small was silly, and she was about to announce it so, or at least confront her partner when the little snapping fish he caught fell onto the dock. And with a smile, she moved towards him with warm praise.
"Congratulation. Seems you've caught yourself a-" but then her voice squeaked as she reeled back to scream, "A shark!"

Cambie

The knife nearly leaped out of Red's hands as Beatrice let out a scream, and it took all of his catlike reflexes to catch on to the little fish before it flopped its way off deck and back to the sea.

"Whoa, easy there!"
he cried, holding the shark between his hands as it squirmed away. "Calm yourself, it's just a fish! It's harmless!"

And as he held it up for Beatrice to see, the shark lunged up and chomped down on the red scarf dangling from Red's neck, its teeth gnashing together as its eyes glazed over white.

With his own yelp Red jumped toward Beatrice with a shark dangling from his neckwear.