Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Red, Rude and Prude

Started by visualspice, September 02, 2014, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

She looked from rat face to pig and inwardly shook her head at their childish behaviors. But with a nod towards Red, she lead him to where an Essryni stood at the wheel, and he gave them both a warm smile.

"Ayhan, this is Red. He will be our guide down the Niafi. And our guide to a most interesting treasure."

Ayhan nodded and flashed another warm smile as he looked Red over.
"Ah, yes, this the wild man who takes us to the Goddess's wings?"

And Beatrice stiffened at that remark. Perhaps she shouldn't have told Ayhan her initial thoughts on Red.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

"Wild man?"

"I promise you, Ayhan, I ain't any wilder than you," Red gave the boat captain a grin and a pat on the shoulder. His glance turned back to Beatrice. "But I'm guessing Miss Warner has a different idea, eh? Either way, let's start heading south and off to better lands."

And just like that, they were off. The opulent boat sailed out of the Essyrni ports and down the Niafi, heading southwest along the river toward the ocean far beyond.

Red spent some time with Ayhan at first, giving the man vague but generally good instructions on the first leg of their journey. By the time the sun was starting to fall from its zenith though, he'd moved to the bow of the ship, standing atop a rail and watching the horizon.

visualspice

Beatrice left the man to his work. She was a bit miffed by the revealing of what she thought of her companion she saved from the noose, but what was said was said. There was no use sulking over it or apologizing. He had acted as an animal.

As the day went on, Beatrice eventually went to seek out where Red had gone off to, and seeing him by the bow, she hesitated to watch him. Perhaps he wanted to be alone...
She could relate to that, however, the plate in her hand was a bit heavy, and if he wanted at least luke warm food, he was to eat it now.

She took a step near him, making enough noise for him to hear before declaring, "It is luke warm, but if you wish, the food from earlier has been preserved if you wish to partake in a meal at this hour."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Cambie

The voice caused Red to turn around and peer down at the plate of food. It smelled heavenly, and small wisps of steam still rose from it despite the plate having lost much of its heat.

Just leave it on the ground and I'll eat it like the wild man I am, he was so sorely tempted to say, but held his tongue just in time. No need to incur the wrath of this woman and risk not being fed the rest of the trip. Besides, he could always get her back by just leaving her in the jungle. Boy, she'd like that.

"I can't say no to free food, y'know," he finally said, taking the plate from her.

"It'll be a while before we get anywhere near where we're going, so I hope you brought something to do."

visualspice

"You needn't worry about me. This isn't the first time I've had to endure a lengthy trip on the Niafi."

Cambie

"Yeah? So you a seasoned veteran of world travelin'?"

Clearly not as much as himself. He'd seen things she couldn't even imagine. Maybe.

visualspice

She gave a bored sigh at his inquiry. She had been asked this far too many times to count. Though when she had counted, it was well over one hundred and eleven. By now, she was sure she was nearing two hundred, but again, she stopped counting or caring. Not many people saw such an established woman, and one of status, as someone who could potentially see most of the world. Sure, if one is wealthy they can travel, but that's not exactly all her family did.

"You could say that, but my primary expertise relies in the Jungles. The Kishani had been my home for some time, and due to the fact I travel quite frequently, it, of all the places I've been, is more or less the only one I can consider home." Even if this was her first time returning since her father's death. And she had to wonder, did this mean she had abandoned her home? Though she told herself no place really was a home...

But even when she was younger, she had declared the Kishani her home, and her father couldn't have been more elated, considering he too, had a fascination for that lush and wild world.

Cambie

Red had begun to dig into the food -- with his fingers, no less!-- when he suddenly stopped and looked at her. Did he hear her correctly?

"So you're from Kishahn, eh? Guess we do have one thing in common, wild lady. Which village?"

visualspice

Beatrice made a face. Figures she was putting her foot in her mouth by gossiping behind others back, a thing she despised. But she went on to answer him simply."The Katung." And she stiffened, keeping her shoulders square and head held high, as if daring to challenge her about it. The Katung was in the heart of the jungle, after all.

Cambie

"The Katung?!" Red sputtered incredulously, some of the food dripping through his fingers and plopping onto the ship's gently heaving deck.

Then he let out a bark of laughter, sounding almost catlike.

"But you're a little too well dressed by their standards, Miss Warner. What happened to the body paint? The piercings? The topless women?"

visualspice

Beatrice gave him a sharp look, something similar to that of a hawk on the prowl.
"It's Lady Warner to you, and don't you forget it. And it's not like I was integrated as a savage. My blood flows from the North, anyhow."
Even if her heart, she felt, belonged in the jungle where she felt most free. All these laws and rules and things were so stifling. She did, after all, enjoy going barefoot where she could. But it would be silly to admit such a thing, now wouldn't it? Considering more perils can happen to one's bare foot in the Kishani than in some posh, well cleaned floor in Connlaoth, or Serendipity.

"I suppose you are familiar with the Katung, sir?"

Cambie

"Familiar-ish," came the reply, as he picked up a piece of steamed fish between his two fingers and stuffed it into his mouth. It gave him a reason to not call her Miss Warner again.

Between chews, he continued. "The tribes don't really get along much, y'know. Sometimes my people would raid them, sometimes they'd raid us. But that was a long time ago, maybe they're all friends now, united under some banner."

Looking up from his food and back to her, he said, "The Vaa'tanen. They're my people."

visualspice

Beatrice made a face, her nose wrinkling at the fact he just ate that food from the floor. So she ridiculed some rules of propriety, but eating like an animal was not one of them! Her disposition was kept soured as she frowned at him and his assessment.

"Not all of the tribes are like that. Yes, some are 'unified', as you've put it, but they just live the way they know how, and even some of the more secretive tribes that are misunderstood have their own unique light of life about them."

And at him mentioning his people, she had to repeat, "Your people?" And she gave him a scrutinizing look. He didn't look like a savage, at least not the kind she referred to him as.

Cambie

Red grinned mischievously at that.

"Yeah, my people. Y'know, as in my folk. My crew. My tribe. Is that so hard to believe that I'm a jungle cat? For spirits' sake, even my name means that."

visualspice

She let that fact sink in for a good long while and felt... unsettled by it, and something else she couldn't quite put her tongue on. But what she did know was that she certainly wasn't happy to have anyone be as acquainted with the jungle tribes as she and it end up being someone, well, like him.

So it would seem awkward that after a long pause she'd reply, "Well, that makes sense," with a sigh as she turned from him. "Even still, it's good you're at least acquainted with the lands."
And for all she knew... more so than she! And again, that also did not sit well with her. Perhaps it was jealousy, but could she really be jealous of such a man?

Cambie

"You really think I'd lead you lot into the jungle without knowing what the hell I was doing?"

He glanced over his shoulder to the line of boats behind them.

"Never mind, don't answer that."

visualspice

Her only answer was a glare.
"Don't get me wrong, Red," she went on, his very name coming off like something sour from her tongue. "I do not trust you, at least not completely. That would be foolish, we've only but met. But I am also not ignorant to what potential help you can offer me, and it is that help I am taking advantage of, nothing more."

Cambie

The way she spat out his name almost deserved a scowl in return, but instead he only shrugged. Hopefully that would infuriate her more.

Spoiled city woman...

"Wouldn't expect ya to do any less, Miss Warner. I'm only as good as what I can do for you, which goes the same the other way around. So if you have a nice collar and leash for me, just go get it now."

visualspice

Beatrice glared at him with the fury of a thousand daggers and did not even justify that with a reply. Instead, she grabbed onto the sides of her skirts and took off without a beat. The nerve of that man! To think he could talk to her that way! If she hadn't believed he was a savage before, this only made it all the more true.

ANd she was thankful for the reprieve, stepping out, (or rather, storming out) from him to the lower portion of the deck where no one, not even a hired attendant was at. And here, the breeze felt nice on her flush cheeks as she desperately needed to cool off.

Cambie

He watched her storm off with a mixture of satisfaction and frustration. When she'd slammed the door behind her, he took another piece of fish from his plate and threw it at the door. It splattered on the wood and slid down, leaving a nice gross trail of sauce in its wake.

"The Wings of Hakeshna, and then I'm gone," he promised under his breath.

He stayed on the prow of the ship well into the evening, even after the sun had disappeared behind the distant sand dunes and the sky had been replaced by a thousand shimmering stars. The boats continued to float their way down the Niafi, which gleamed in the moonlight.