Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Women, shaving, interesting findings...

Started by Aeytrious, November 05, 2014, 08:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeytrious

So out of curiosity, I decided to look up the history of women and shaving. It was an interesting find. You see all these movies of women in the middle ages with clean shaved bodies. The idea that French women not shaving is an oddity is actually a new idea. Women have been shaving their underarms for right around 100 years, and their legs for less, only since the 40's. This is due to the fact that women were always so covered up that nobody saw the "objectionable hair". The naughty bits however have been groomed for hundreds of years in some regions. Muslim women traditional removed the hair the night before their wedding, and then would continue the practice after marriage.
        Regardless of the fact that general hair removal wasn't common practice until the 20th century, the practices came with the change in attire. Clothing that showed the hairy parts of women is what motivated the trend. In SotE things are hardly realistic, and I have no objections to hair removal (not that my opinion matters), but I thought I'd share this discovery with everyone.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Anadwen

Oh, Aeyt, you always come up with such interesting things...

kleineklementine

Quote from: Aeytrious on November 05, 2014, 08:05:14 AM
        The idea that French women not shaving is an oddity is actually a new idea.

The idea that European women by and large don't shave is also a weird, American myth.

I also like that you flagged this with an "important exclamation point!" button. :P

Aeytrious

I just like to not have all my posts use the same icon all the time. gotta mix it up.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

You sure it wasn't women being jealous that blondies appeared to have 'no leg hair'? XD

jk, but yeah, lol, fascinating, Aeyt, fascinating 8D
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

I recently did research on primitive dental care too

they had way better teeth on average than we do now. we have so much crap in our food that it kills our teeth. I love learning these random things.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Anadwen

One sure finds interesting things while being 'productive'... yeah productive... hah hah hah...

I don't think our SotE characters have such awesome teeth, tho. at least definitely not those that live in Connlaoth and can afford buying the wonderful cakes *_*

Lion

Actually all this stuff is really awesome to know and relevant at least in part to a medieval setting, even with magic involved.  Nice work, Aeyt!

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

Aeytrious

A little bump for those new to the site and new to medieval settings.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey