Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Night Under the Starry Sky

Started by Rowan Llyri-laer, December 17, 2014, 06:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan Llyri-laer

An ivory-haired nymph walked down the dimly lit alley moss growing through the cracks in the cobblestone wherever she paced. Clouds speckled the starry night sky above...perhaps a snowfall was in order. The nymph was draped in a long, tiered dress; pure white in color. Around her shoulders she wore a knit shawl and from her antlers, silvery decorative thread was hung.

The girl paused under a lit window and twirled around, having to remind herself, for a moment, where she had been going.

UlricusBurgstahler

Sitting inside the inn that contained the aforementioned lit window sat Ulricus, trying to protect himself from the cold. It would seem his usual slashed attire wasn't properly suited for the oncoming winter. He'd run his hand over his old hooded robe that was layed out on the pitted table in front of him. He'd look around at all of the wholes in the now threadbare garment. "No journeys until this can be fixed." He'd say to himself, glancing out at the snow softly falling towards the ground.

Out of the corner of his eye he'd notice a familiar nymph trotting down the shadowed alley. He'd tap softly on the glass, not entirely fussed as to whether or not she'd notice. However the company would be appreciated.

Rowan Llyri-laer

Calla turned her head one way and then the other. Where on earth was that sound coming from? After a few moments, the girl would figure it out. She glanced up at the window that poured warm light into the cold night, air to find a familiar human boy tapping on the glass.

Ulricus would be able to see the nymph's eyes light up almost immediately as powdery, early-winter snow gathered on her antlers. Though he couldn't hear her, he'd at the very least be able to see her lips form the words, "Ulricus, Ulricus!"

She scurried off, out of view, and a few minutes later she'd walk into the tavern. The nymph looked around eagerly for Ulricus before finding him at the far end of the room, "Hello!" She chirped, snow flakes falling from her clothes, hair, and antlers as she stood before the boy.

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would beam brightly at the girl entering the room.
"Good evening Calla!" Said the boy, brushing his cloak off the table to make room for her belongings.
"It's a tad cold out isn't it!" He'd exclaim, watching as the snowflakes fell from her. He'd pull up a seat, patting the bottom of it, signaling Calla to sit.
"I haven't seen you since the woods! How do you fare?"

Rowan Llyri-laer

The girl's cheeks and button-esque nose were quite rosy, and they sparkled as though snowflakes were embedded in her skin. "Oh, Calla just loves the winter! It is so beautiful, would not Ulricus agree?" She took a seat in the chair he offered, the snow still clinging to her clothes and antlers. It wouldn't melt, even in the warmth of the inn, suggesting something in nymph was mimicking the weather outside (almost as though she was cold-blooded.)

She peeked out the window excitedly, shifting around in her chair, "Look, Ulricus! Calla was right there just a few minutes ago! Oh, humans build such amazing palaces..."

UlricusBurgstahler

Something about the nymphs comment would cause Ulricus to crack up laughing. "Palaces?" He'd grin at her. "If this dingy in were a palace then I certainly wouldn't be here." He would glance out the window, seeming to look through the buildings to the castle up on the hill. "Now that my friend is a castle." He'd seem to snap out of his dreamlike state.
"What's your drink?" He'd ask with a smile, looking toward the bar tender.

Rowan Llyri-laer

The girl pursed her lips and softly whispered an, "Oooh," sound as she gazed at the invisible palace far into the distance, imagining all of its glory in her mind. She criss-crossed her legs up on the chair, fantasizing herself for a moment about living such a wonderful place. A nymph in a palace? What a ridiculous thought!
Calla snapped into reality when the boy spoke up. "Calla would like some milk, please."

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would nod, flagging down the barkeep. "Milk for the lady please." He'd tell her, slipping her a few coins. She'd laugh for a moment before realizing that the man was serious. She'd disappear for moment before returning with the aforementioned drink.
"So Calla, tell me of your travels." Ulricus would finally say once the girl got her drink. Ulricus would extend a hand to brush a snowflake off of the girls nose.

Rowan Llyri-laer

Calla wrapped her tiny hands around the flagon of milk and took a sip, smiling contently as a creamy froth formed on her lips. "Calla has walked to many places in the world...only, she has not been to enough places. She has been through the mountains and the forests, and..." She took another sip of milk, "...and villages too...but this is the biggest village she has ever seen."

The nymph softly smacked her lips together, tilting her head to the side so that some of the snow gathered on her antlers would fall to the floor, "Where has Ulricus traveled to? He is a human, is he not? Oh! He must have been to many, many villages!"

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would nod, thinking about his many travels. "I'd say there are more places I've been to than I haven't." He'd finally conclude, realizing that mercenary work had led him all around the world. He'd look around the ruffian inn and then back at the girl. "Trust me Calla, there are villages far grander than this, some that make this look like the jungle!" He'd state, not entirely sure himself if he could back up the claim. He'd take a sip of his ale, planting the now empty flagon firmly upon the table. He's grin at the girl.

Rowan Llyri-laer

The girl leaned back in her chair, her pale lavender eyes flickering back to the palace she couldn't see. "Calla would like to see those places..." She mused, realizing for the first time that she had never visited anywhere that was above the squalor of the grungy tavern the pair currently occupied.
"Does... Does Ulricus think Calla could act like a lady in a palace?" She lowered her head, eyes now directed to her milk-filled mug. "She does not much like jungles..."

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would look over the girl, contemplating the thoughts. "I could see it." He'd finally say with a warm grin. He'd look out the window, fixated upon the palace, blocked from their view. "I think it would take a little work..." His voice would trail off. "But I believe that you definitely could be a princess."
Ulricus would look back at the girl, rubbing his woolen cloak between two fingers. "Maybe I could help." He'd say finally.

Rowan Llyri-laer

Calla? A princess? She had never heard of a nymph taking place as royalty! The girl closed her eyes, her round, rose-petal lips curling into a small smile. She could just imagine it, a bejeweled crown a top her head - not a crown of flowers - a real crown! Made of silver or gold or...platinum, even! And she'd wear a beautiful ball gown, all poofy and big like she had heard princesses were supposed to wear. She'd look so pretty no one would even notice her antlers!
The nymph shook her head as reality drowned out her thoughts, and she once again was sitting in a grungy tavern with a strange boy. "H-Help?" She tilted her head to the side, curiosity burning from within her.

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would grin rather deviously, looking around the inn. "Look Calla, you saved my ass out in the forest." He'd begin, it would seem his polite demeanor had faded, instead it would seem to have been replaced with a tougher more natural persona. "It's about time I return the favor." He'd shrug. "Let's get you the throne."

Rowan Llyri-laer

Calla stared at the boy blankly, as though his words didn't quite register to her right away, "W-What? What does Ulricus mean? Calla does not understand what he says..." She craned her neck and peeked around the room, worried someone would overhear their conversation, "Nymphs cannot become royalty... I do not think anyone can that is not born royalty. I have never even been close to a palace!"

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would grin at the girl, a devious, impish grin, it would seem he had something planned. He'd lower his voice before beginning. "Dynasties end Calla. And who's to say that a nymph couldn't begin the next one." He'd finally reach into the pocket of his cloak, reaching around for something that he couldn't seem to find. He'd mutter curses softly under his breath before returning his focus to Calla. "First things first though." He'd begin, "You need to see a palace."

Rowan Llyri-laer

"O-Oh... Calls does not know if it is a good idea to try to take over the throne, Ulricis Ulricis..."
The girl had taken a liking to the redundancy of her little name for the boy.
"She is trying to make humans like her... They may not like her at all if she does something like that." She rested her delicate chin on the palm of her hand and sighed softly, a puff of cold air pouring from her lips. Even in the warmth of the hearth-filled tavern, the nymph seemed to retain the cold from outside. "Calla would like to see a palace though..."

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would nod, understanding the girls concern, however he's then reach his hand out toward the nymph. "Let's go see a palace." He'd say with a smile, motioning towards the door. "No sense staying here... Besides those men over there have been eyeing me all night and I'm in no mood for a fight." He'd say, his eyes darting to a table full of shady men.

Rowan Llyri-laer

Calla smiled, a new surge of excitement within her having been created. She took one last sip of her milk before following the boy out the door.
The odd pair was met with an icy gust after leaving the shelter of the tavern, but Calla seemed to pay little mind to it, despite the fact that her feet were bare and nothing but a thin shawl covered her arms. The girl danced out into the snow that was at least five inches deep and stuck her tongue out toward the sky to catch a snowflake or two, "Isn't the winter so beautiful, Ulricus Ulricus? Look at the icicles on the window!"

UlricusBurgstahler

Ulricus would chuckle, wrapping his cloak around himself with a shiver. "Calla.... Don't you find it a tad brisk?" He'd ask, watching his breath rise up toward the sky. "No matter." He'd say with a shrug as he began to walk off toward the palace. It wouldn't yet be visible, however Ulricus would walk confidently, it would seem it wasn't his first time around these parts. As they approached a row of elegant buildings perpendicular to their path Ulricus would stop mid stride. "Are you ready Calla?"