Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Cats in the Cradle [m]

Started by Lion, January 11, 2015, 12:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lion

It wasn't often he got a moment to himself.  There was always work to do, always some chump to rough up, some coin to snatch and pocket.  It wasn't a bad gig.  And if he wasn't any good at it, he wouldn't be doing it.  There were other vocations he could do equally well in.  But he wasn't interested in being a horse farrier or fixing plows or feeding cattle.  That was slave's work.  Tending to ground that was never yours, working your life away, it was the same as any other bondage.

And this was his life to live.

The charcoal scratched at the paper in his journal.  It was creased, from being folded over time and again.  But his lines were clear, easy to discern even when they ran over the folded sections.  He sketched the Grand Arch to the ruins where the Mountain Cats prowled.  He preferred to draw animals, and he busied himself with sketching away at the owl that was perched across from him, atop the Arch.  The owl watched him and remained stone still as if he knew he was being drawn and chose a pose to express it.

Crowe grinned at that thought, exchanging glances with the bird and coursing the line that led down to flecked wingtips.  The horns were next, followed by the eyes and he shaded them gently, looking out toward the bird, as his hand did the drawing, as if by heart.  He grinned again and looked down at his work, etching in the blocks of the Grand Arch and the roots and the moss that grew from it.

The journal rested on his thigh, as he sat relaxed, perched within the arms of a tall tree.  He could see for miles being up there, and it was the best place in the world to find his solitude.  The Post had lots of hidden nooks and crannies, but the other Cats had their own hiding places.  This was his.

Crowe looked back at the owl once again, when something cracked on the ground below and the creature ruffled his feathers and flew off.  "Shit," he muttered, frowning, as he watched the bird fly off and peered down at what made the noise.

He watched the blonde-haired fellow below him.  And quietly he pulled a throwing knife from his thigh.  It was small, sleek and slender and he held his breath as he watched the snake slither through the water, coming up from around the bushes toward his ankle.  And the knife was loosed.  A silver flash would have swished in front of Khanna and down to the snake in the grass below, where the creature remained, devoid of its head.

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

Seeing the glint of the weapon sail mere inches past his head, Khanna wasted no time returning the thrown blade with three of his own.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Thankfully, Crowe was already on the ground when the daggers sunk into the tree.  "You should watch your step," he said, gesturing to the snake and plucking his knife from the tree.  The man looked familiar like he'd seen him around before. 
"Sorry bout that though.  Didn't mean to just sail the knife past your head," he said with a shrug and pulled out the parchment of his journal and folding it back in before tucking it back under his arm.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

visualspice

With another blade at the ready, the man pointed it directly at Crowe.
"State your business here," he demanded through his teeth. "I don't have time to play games. And you are trespassing." Unless he was another cat-t hen he ought to have watched himself. Snake or not, Khanna Dey was not about to just trust any old person that wandered into the swamp lands.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Lion

Crowe glared down at the blade, then to the man holding it.  "Name's Hadrian.  But I'm called Crowe by the Mountain Cats.  You look familair.  Who are you?" he asked.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

He could of laughed, were he a man prone to it. Instead, he sneered at the other.
"A mountain cat who's ignorant." He kept the blade pointed at Crowe. "I'm Khanna... Khanna Dey, and unless you want to keep your eyes, I'd suggest you start coming up with a real good alibi, asshole."

Lion

Crowe stepped back and pulled his journal out from under his arm.  "I was in the tree.  I was sketching the Grand Arch.  See?"  He opened it up to the proper page and revealed the drawing he was making, the owl.  "I do this a lot.  Didn't think encountering the boss for the first time would end up like this. "

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

The grip on his blade was no less tight when the man pulled out his papers. Even as they were presented towards him, Khanna sneered. "Drawings?"
He gestured with the knife. "Move them so I can see them better."

Lion

Crowe eyed Khanna, then the dagger and stepped closer.  He wasn't positive he could move fast enough to get out of the way of the blade, but there was no fear in his eyes.  "See?" he said and handed the book over for him to examine.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Khanna took the book before finally lowering the blade. He saw the arch, it was more than clear in the craftsman ship, but as he moved to observe some of the other pages, his facial expression changed.
"And what are these?" He raised his eyes, expectantly.

Lion

Crowe looked at him warily, speculative and still remaining conscious of the knife that was readily at hand.  "My journal," he said, crossing his arms over his chest.  "I sketch when I'm on down time.  I draw what I see.  And I can see high and far.  Being up high generally allows you to do that. "

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Khanna studied his face a moment before asking, "And what do you see? Anything interesting for the Cats?"

Lion

Crowe tilted his head, and a small grin played on his lips.  "Last page," he said, and gestured to the notebook.  When the page was turned he pointed to the outline and layout of something labeled, "Truman & Sons Warehouse," he said.  "Fifty miles by river, South by southwest of Arca.  Trade family.  They've got all manner of goodies in there."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Khanna smiled back- well, almost.
"You aiming to pick 'em clean there, Black Bird?" He studied the drawings a little more before asking, "Aiming to keep that gold for yourself?" After all, it didn't seem like it was a plan that was readily prepared to be shared with the Cats.

Lion

"Don't be silly," Crowe said and quirked a brow.  "I wouldn't be able to rob it all myself.  But if I had a crew.  The place'd be empty before dawn," he said.  "There's a tunnel that leads down from the warehouse, old sewers I reckon that leads out to the upper part of the river.  Easy in, easy out, with a wicked payload."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Khanna went quiet, digesting over this information with a distant stare before looking back to Crowe.
"That area... there might be Wolves."
And he'd rather not deal with those assholes if he didn't need to.

Lion

"Probably.  But the payout could be well worth the risk.  I could scout it out more, see who's who and what's what.  Maybe even work for the place for a short time.  Then we clean it out, and I disappear," Crowe said.  "Just a thought."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Khanna thought it over before turning away from Crowe and relinquishing any hold on his drawings.
"We'll see about it. Come see me next time you're at the Scratching Post."
And after a few more steps, he added, "We can discuss this later."

Lion

Crowe had to move quickly to keep his drawings from falling into the mud and he carefully folded any stray papers back inside and tucked it underneath his arm.  He watched Khanna walk away for a few moments, find his eyes on his ass for a few stray seconds and furrowing his brow.

"Weird," he said, shaking his head anyway and went back to his tree, to retrieve the daggers from it.

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

visualspice

Had Khanna heard that comment, she would have cut him for sure. If there was one thing Khanna was known for, it was his almost narcissistic obsession with his reflection and how he dressed. Being the leader of a gang of criminals, he still only wore the finest of clothing. And most knew far too well that was only due to the success of their raids and well, Khanna's brother- the ever more powerful Opus Dey.

Opus Dey is one reason some flocked to be part of the gang. It was also one reason no one really messed with Khanna. If you feared Khanna for his quick boughts to anger and the blood and lives he had already shed over the years, even he has nothing on the infamous Opus Dey.

But Khanna was respected in his own right, and though he might come off as rather rigid and a bit obsessive and compulsive (after all, he did like things HIS way), he was as welcoming as any other towards the criminals most of the world turns their back to. And it's not really evident why. Most could simply presume it's because every gang could use resources. But some presume it's because Khanna likes the idea of his numbers ever growing. Either way, seeing Black Bird prowling around outside the Post rather than entering was grating on her nerves. Her room looked over the entire front, so she could see practically everything going on from within.

Not one to be so patient when she requests a meeting personally, she stood up from her chair and walked over to the window, and threw a knife down at Crowe, so that it would land near his boot.

Tags: