Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Home, Smelly Home. [M] [Glob!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 17, 2015, 01:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Mei laughed at that, and sat gingerly on the bed so she could put on her sandals and properly lace them.

"Well, good! Though we'll have to be more careful, after this apothecary visit." She paused, frowning. "Do you think the gods watch everyone all the time? I'm afraid I don't recall anything about that from the scriptures, and I feel like I'll be needing to research that extensively upon my return home."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

Daersen shrugged.

"Well, way I've come to see it, is that if you don't draw too much attention to yourselves, the gods don't really care. If what you did isn't too crazy, then how the heck is a god, who watches over the entire world, going to notice something that small? They're happening literally all the time."

Rhindeer

"Hmm. True. But a goddess who created all life...that's a level of power beyond human comprehension..." Mei heaved a sigh. "I will just have to research it more intensively."

She stood and tapped the toes of her sandals against the floor to adjust her feet in them better. "In any case, I'm ready whenever you are! We shouldn't delay, we have much to do today!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DaGlobster

"Well, maybe these ant people you're so keen on finding will have something that could help you," Daersen said, getting his own shoes on and going towards the door. He motioned for her to follow him as he stepped outside.

"So, are we like... Partners now or something?"

Rhindeer

"Hm?" Mei cocked her head curiously as she followed him, lightly nudging the door shut behind her with her foot.

"You mean like partners in crime? Well, not crime, though I've heard that's the colloquial term! But replace 'crime' with scholarship and adventure and exploration, and yes! I suppose that is what were are for the time being!"

DaGlobster

Daersen wanted to add "Sex" to that list, but he remembered that for Mei, sex was  probably in the same category as "scholarship".

"Sweet. Never really had a partner before."

Rhindeer

"Really?" Mei asked, turning her head to give him an inquisitive look. "Always been a lone wolf?"

DaGlobster

"I've never been truly alone," Daersen said. As if it had never left, Prince clambered up onto Daersen's shoulders from the ground. Where the oversized albino rat was hidden, nobody knew. But he always had a habit of keeping nearby.

"I think of myself more as a pack leader."

Rhindeer

Mei startled at the sight of Prince, having forgotten about him, and eyed him curiously. "Can you talk to them?"

DaGlobster

"It's not really talk, it's more like..."

Daersen made some hand gestures, an unsure look on his face.

"I want them to do something, and they do it."

Rhindeer

"Oh. Well, then, that is still like being alone! Even if you're around a lot of them, if you can't carry on a conversation, that just makes you alone surrounded by creatures. I don't think it's the same, talking to animals in a one-way conversation versus talking to people. That still seems like it would get incredibly lonely," Mei said.

"Though I have heard of beast-speakers who can actually have two-way conversations with their animal friends. How fascinating would that be, learning about the world through their eyes? What must they know that we don't? Why, I even heard that one beast-speaker was able to discover that dogs can't actually see the full range of color we can. They really only see yellows, violets, and blues. How fascinating is that?"

DaGlobster

"Yellows, violets, and blues, huh?" Daersen said, taking his eyes off of Mei so he could descend the stairs to the first floor of the inn.

"That explains why huntsmen dress so garish, or at least have these bright sashes."

Rhindeer

"Yes, precisely!" Mei said, and looked to Prince. "Just imagine what you could learn from that one if you could understand each other!"

DaGlobster

"Well, we sort of can understand each other. It's like intuition."

Daersen held out an arm, and Prince scurried onto his wrist, peering at Mei with his ruby eyes.

"I think he likes you."

Rhindeer

"Think so?" Mei asked as she peered at Prince, and after a pause she gave Daersen an inquisitive look. "Can I touch him? Or do you think he'll bite?"

DaGlobster

As a reply to that, Daersen reached out and put a hand on Mei's shoulder. Prince scampered across Daersen's arm, and tentatively stepped onto Mei's shoulder.

"I think you can touch him."

Rhindeer

Oh sweet Inima he was on her shoulder!

But though many people naturally felt revulsion when faced with rodents (and rightfully so, as many carried disease), Mei only felt fascination. She loved animals, and hadn't yet met one she was afraid of--well, one that didn't want to eat her, that is, for of course she feared any that showed aggression. It was a well known fact among her comrades, for she had wound up the designated Spider Wrangler of her group. Where others screamed and tried to smash them with their shoes, or were too petrified to even do that, Mei was the one who calmly scooped them into a box (or her hand, if they weren't dangerous) and relocated them to safety.

Now she turned her head to get a look at Prince, and slowly raised a hand to him, holding her palm out for him to smell and investigate. "Hi, prince," she said with a smile. "You're very pretty. Very appropriately named!"

DaGlobster

Prince investigated her fingers, propping up on his hind legs to take one of her fingers into his front paws and hold it in place so he could sniff it it.

Then, he just walked into the crook of her neck and laid down, right on her collarbone. He wouldn't fall from there, as long as Mei didn't do anything brash like jumping or sprinting.

"He likes you," Daersen said, and he grinned.

Rhindeer

"I like him!" Mei whispered--whispered, because she didn't want to be too loud in Prince's ears, with where he was laying and all, and because she felt that if she spoke, it would come out as an excited squeal. "He's adorable!"

And it just felt neat to be accepted and approved of!

She reached up gently and stroked along his back, grinning like a fool. For a sewer rat, she found him surprisingly clean. "I love his little twitchy whiskers. They're like a cat's, aren't they? Helping them judge space?"

DaGlobster

"Yep. Use 'em to communicate, too. It's how they move so efficiently in packs, even though the members are tightly packed."

Prince reveled in the attention, and he snuggled up against her more and more. They hit the first floor, and Daersen looked to Mei.

"Alright, then. Where to, partner?"