Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Delivery Disrupted

Started by TreeFolk, April 12, 2015, 11:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeFolk

Kieta sat in the protection of a wayward pine, checking over the small bundle of her belongings, all of which still felt oddly foreign to her in this new world. She yearned to find a faerie circle to step into, and to return to the Otherworld where her brothers would be awaiting. Being in this new world rankled her, with all its foreign smells, sounds, and structures. Each time she stepped foot into one of their "cities" her skin would crawl, having never encountered such enclosed spaces in all of her life. The Otherworld, well the part she and her clan inhabited, was only enclosed in the sense of forests and fields. The only structure to speak of was the castle of the Queen and King, but their court was designed as an open structure. Kieta's first, and very brief, experience of a city in Connlaoth had lasted a grand total of a half hour, out of sheer curiosity. She had initially thought that the structures were some weird sort of plants or rocks, but had found instead that they were rather constructed from the corpses of trees and rocks.

She had been in this world for a few months now, and found that she was most comfortable visiting small villages nestled into the valleys and wilderness. Quickly she became known for her talents in traversing wilderness areas others could not, and for being discrete. She would travel from forest to forest, guiding traveling parties or transporting things of importance. Her mastery of the language was faulty at best, and her understanding of how things worked was lacking even more. Somebody had called her "naive" or "innocent" in their odd tongue, and she understood it as an insult. Of course she would come across as such! There were concepts and behaviors of this world that were so alien to her that it would most likely take her years to understand them. Like this odd obsession between "good" and "evil". Certainly there were dark and light fae, but neither was "good" or "evil". It was commonly understood that all creatures had a mix of both, some with tendencies towards one end of the spectrum over the other...

Kieta scowled and brought herself out of her internal criticisms, eyeing the parcel on the earth before her. Two weeks prior, a man had sought her out in the forest, and had requested that she transport this parcel across the wilderness and to a correspondent in Matron's Hallow, and now she sat a half a day's journey away. Shoving the parcel into the bottom of her pack, Kieta shouldered it and her bow and quiver. She took a swig of her water, thrusting her dirk into its sheath at her side, she took off towards Matron's Hallow.

By late afternoon Kieta had made it to the outskirts of what to her seemed a city of monolithic proportions. Taking out the parchment of instructions on where to meet the correspondent, she found her way to a busier intersection of a road, just outside of the city. The man had said that she should encounter a bread seller, who would then fetch the individual responsible for collecting the parcel. This all according to her one rule, that she refused to enter cities. If individuals wanted to do business with her, they would have to arrange it on the outskirts and surrounding forests of cities. Covering her ears with her hair to avoid undue attention, her eyes darted around in search of the bread man. To her keen senses, this intersection was overwhelming... She couldn't seem to focus on one thing at a time, and she found herself overly distracted, unable to separate out the different individuals.

The slightest of tugs, and the loosening of muscles on her back and shoulders... The smell of smoked meats... And then the receding back of an individual running off with her pack and into the city. She watched incredulously, having never encountered a pick-pocket or thief before of this variety, cursing in her own language, and then following it up with a confused, "But that's mine!"

She was at war with herself... She knew she would be in trouble if the recipient did not receive the parcel, and that trouble might somehow make it onto the Otherworld radar. And that would mean an intense time of being hunted, one which might end negatively for her. Cursing again, she righted the bow and quiver and took off after the thief and into the crowd, feeling blind amongst the overwhelming sensory overload, clutching desperately to the clinging scent of smoked meats on the individual.

Ducking through the crowds, she kept up with him until he thought he had lost her. Instead of confronting him in front of the unpredictable crowds, she decided that she would follow him to wherever it was he was going...

She saw the strap of her pack disappear into an alley way, into which she followed stealthily. One thing was certain, was that she was extremely adept at keeping her movements silent. Part of why the people in the realm seemed to use her skills... But as she watched a door slam shut, she realized that dealing with these sorts of structures was foreign to her. Eyeing the side of the building, she searched for footholds, quickly climbing the structure and to a window. Looking inside as best she could, Kieta pried the window open and slid inside. Hearing the footsteps of the man she had been tracking, Kieta took her bow and notched an arrow, aiming it at the stairwell. As the thief topped the steps, the blood drained from her face, noting the other men. Swallowing her doubts, she squared her feet and yelled at him. "Pack is mine. Give it or I shoot!"

The thief looked surprised, as did his companions. "How the fuck...? Lads, this is the target I just stole from!"

One of the other men took a good look at her, smirking, "Well, looks like we might be stealin' more from 'er than that pack. Now, come her sweets, put down that, don't be silly."

Kieta growled low in her throat, not liking the tone of the men, but not liking her odds either... She feigned lowering the bow for a minute, taking the time to note her potential exit points, before shooting off two arrows rapidly, hitting both the thief and one of his accomplices. Running quickly, she side-stepped their arms and snatched up her pack and made for a doorway, ducking in and slamming the door, turning the lock quickly... Of course it was a windowless room! As the men pounded on the door, she looked about in panic, before noticing a small door in the wall... Opening the door, she noticed what looked like a crawlspace. Just as the door to the room burst open, she squeezed herself into the crawl space and instantly found herself plummeting downwards.

The dumbwaiter broke the force of her weight, all the way until she smelled the soil and knew it was bringing her below ground. When she finally hit bottom, she toppled backwards out of the dumbwaiter and onto something soft, thoroughly disoriented...

visualspice

Trest was picking his teeth, but if you asked him, he'd deny it. But there had been some gristle stuck since dinner, and there was one thing he overly pride himself in, and it was his devilishly handsome good looks. His teeth's health were than of equal importance, and the new fad of 'brushing' one's teeth was not lost on him. So when the pesky gristle remained lodged, he kept at it, gums bleeding a little until finally, the tooth pick dug in at just the right angle and the gristle was freed.

Sinking back into his chair, he sighed with relief, took a few seconds to look at his face in the small, desk mirror again before inspecting how a small shaving nick from yesterday was healing. And considering all things on his check list were accounted for (as he just did his book keeping thrice now since supper), Trest, also known to his fellow thieves as 'The Hawk', was positively bored.

Perhaps he should have taken that last assignment for himself, but at the time he didn't want to be bothered. After all, he hadn't slept a wink that night and had a few more than eager new recruits who wanted a job. But though he as growing complacent being behind the desk rather than working out 'in the field', he did miss the thrill of thievery- though not entirely the guilt. At least where he was, with boots propped up on his desk and relaxed back, the guilt was only second hand, so much easier to stomach.

Besides, jobs were jobs, right? Everyone had their place and it just so happened he fell into the thieving category. And not just any thief! But a leader among them! So, while dreadfully bored, he flipped open a drawer near his side and leafed through some items that were in there. Pulling out a small, green leather book; he flipped to the marked page and tried to resume where he had left off, and soon was immersing himself so deeply into his novel that his nose was basically stuffed into the pages and...
Moments later, he was snoring.

He must have needed more sleep than he thought, for the sudden, rattling fall of the dumbwaiter  hadn't stirred him, and in fact, it just so happened at the same time he elicited a loud snore. So perhaps it was that drowning out the woman's ungraceful consequential actions of adventuring into unknown territory...

But the sleeping Hawk was none the wiser, head slumped over into his book, one arm resting over his belly, and worn, leather boots propped upon the desk. And if it weren't for the sporadically paced snores, he might look partially dead the way he was draped and almost unmoving.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TreeFolk

Kieta did not give herself much time to recover from the fall, groaning softly under her breath as she grabbed the edge of the dumbwaiter opening to hoist herself off the rug of the floor. Her eyes flitted to the floor to find her bow rent in two, and a growl of frustration exited her throat. She'd have to extract the unicorn and kelpie hairs from the wood of the bow, if she wanted to preserve the luck. And she didn't even want to begin to think about the hours of time she would have to spend finding the right wood, or the days it would take to weave the proper spell work on another bow...

After this brief appraisal, Kieta surveyed the room, the ringing in her ears from her drop down the dumbwaiter shaft receding and being replaced by a rumbling noise... Alongside the vibrations of the men above descending the building. Snoring? Was that snoring that she heard? Kieta located the source of the snoring, following it into a small room that was attached to the hall she had been deposited unceremoniously into. Stepping silently into the room, the man, beyond all reason or explanation, was reclined lazily in slumber in a chair. Thinking quickly, Kieta pulled her dirk from its sheath, at the same time flicking her fingers in attempt to get some ivy vines to subdue him... But this damned place was so stiflingly dead and void of life, that she had to resort to using the wood of the chair to twist around his wrists. As the wood was painstakingly slowly closing in around his wrists, Kieta stepped behind him and pressed the dirk firmly to his neck.

As she did so, she heard the slamming of a door down the hall, and thunderous steps. She growled out to the man, "You move, I drain you of life." The men she had escaped earlier burst into the room, and she growled, the sound of an animal cornered, baring her teeth.

visualspice

"No, Bethia, I don't want any more pie," he mumbled in his sleep, none the wiser that the wood he sat on was coming alive with magic. His dreams were peaceful, anyhow. And Bethia's pies were near lethal in their deliciousness. Even as it sealed around his wrists, binding him to his chair, he continued to snooze. But the second he heard the weapon being pulled his blue eyes opened and he jerked suddenly, aiming to reach for his own weapon when he realized...

"What the hell!?"

His wrists were strapped!? And now some strange woman was spitting threats nothing short of a rabid feline! And to top it off, his two new hires came exploding into the room. And when he caught the men's attention, Trest did not look pleased as his fingers drummed against his arm rest.

"You all have five seconds to explain this before I get mad."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

TreeFolk

Kieta scowled at the men from her place, the dirk still against the throat of the man, who to her irritation, seemed decidedly nonplussed about the situation, beyond his irritation with the other men.

The smaller man who had stolen from her was panting, a hand at his side where she had shot him with her arrow. "I was goin' bout my regular pick of the Brandy intersection outside o' the city gates, spotted this country bumpkin gawkin', and plucked her pack. Then this crazy bitch followed me back, and gods know how she ended up inside, but..."

One of the larger men, visibly bleeding from the arrow wound in his thigh, gestured angrily towards her, "She was in the fuckin' second story! And ain't no way she came through the first floor, she just... Magicked her way in! And she shot me n' Brady, then took off and broke the dumbwaiter!"

Kieta felt the grip on her magic waning, in this stifling place, and saw as the wood began to retreat back into the chair. She reacted by pressing the dirk more firmly into the skin of his neck, biting her lip nervously, knowing she was going to lose control of the situation quickly. She was out her element, in every sense of the word. 

visualspice

"So... you're saying you pick pocketed a witch?" Trest asked, nonplussed.

"I'm sayin' its the only we she coulda even got in this place, boss!" the taller man protested. "There ain't no ladder to the second floor!"

"Yeah, and then she just attacked us, thinking to get her pack back...." the smaller explained.

"And... does she?"

"Does she what?"

"Does she have her pack back?" Trest repeated the question, a little more clearly.

"Well yeah-"

And Trest's irritated sigh halted him right there.

"What's in it gotta be expensive!"

"Yeah, worth tons in gold-"

"Wait..." At that, Trest's brow furrowed even more. "Are you saying you don't even know what you stole that's not longer stolen from you but is already in her possession now as we speak and now I have some blade to my throat because you nabbed a sack from the wrong broad?"

The men grew silent- and at that, Trest barked a laugh.

"So you're ill luck has fallen to me, well that's just swell. Consider this moment your employment terminated."

And the men only stared. And after a moment, Trest gestured with one hand. "Go on, get going. I have no use for thieves who steal me bad lucky!"

And they took a few minutes to look at each other before cringing, "But boss..."

Trest raised a brow. He still remained authoritative, even with the blade at his throat.

"No, no, not boss any longer. And you're trespassing. You have ten seconds to get out of here or I'll have the woman finish you off with more of her arrows."

That was enough to light a fire under their feet, and while stuttering out apologies, they scrambled out of the door. And once htey were alone, Trest sighed.

"So..." he said, not his attention could be focused to the other problem at hand. "How much gold will it take for you to get this blade off my neck?"

TreeFolk

Kieta admired his control of the situation, feeling as if the events of the situation were somehow turning to her benefit, against all odds. Had the man used brute force, the dirk could have been off his neck and she in their control. But his way prevented any blood being shed, and quelled her anger over the situation. This sort of tact was smart in way she had not seen others of this world demonstrate.

With the wood retreating, almost to the point where he could potentially moved his arms again, she felt relieved to see the men go, but did not indicate this. She took a moment to formulate a response, her voice lilting and accented "No money, a task. This... trap, mess, thing made me miss to meet. You help with delivery. Do you make blood bargains for promises?" He didn't need to know that she now seriously needed somebody to help her navigate the city. "And I did not 'magic' my way, I climbed."

visualspice

Feeling his wrists be released, he wriggled his fingers and anxiously tapped his feet.

"No money?" Trest frowned. "Lady, you have to realize, the world revolves around money. It can buy anything. Just name your price and I can cut you a bag of gold, no problem. Two bags, if you make this quick. I do have other engagements, you know, with better associates then the ones you've been unfortunately introduced." And he continued on with his business talk, not once looking at her for fear that, well...
He'd rather not see how sharp the knife was that was so close to his neck! And though he appeared cool and collected outward, internally he was sweating bullets.

TreeFolk

Kieta listened to him, then cleared her throat, feigning that she was unconsciously pressing the dirk against his throat in thought. "I have made my demand, though I understand sleep is a very demanding 'engagement'. So much so, that I could break into this den, injure your pack, destroy objects, and hold you hostage, all while in your very important sleep engagement."

She tapped the blade against his neck, nicking the skin. "You want I should steepen my demands? Fair. You will give me coin enough to replace my bow, and supply me with another bow until I can craft a new one."

"Now I tell you why you will be my guide. See, you disrupted my delivery. If I cannot find man who I should deliver to, then I am in trouble. If I am in trouble, I certainly want to blame another... And as this is your fault in a manner, I shall need you present. Hold you accountable..." She paused, as if reflecting, "But, you can give me coin and I leave. Coin does not keep these people happy, though. They are rich with coin, but not time. So when it comes to time, I shall tell them where you are. You can try to run, but I can also find you again."

visualspice

OOC: So I tried posting this on my phone a bit earlier and then my phone randomly dies. Ugh, need to look into a new phone or battery.

That was a low blow, though he knew it was true. Still didn't mean it didn't sting! But what physically stung was the nick to his neck, as he cringed.

"So you're holding me ransom now after my men failed to steal from you since you can't perform your own job properly?" he snorted. "At least you're not employed by me, because this definitely would have been your last day!"
And thinking about it being 'last days', he realized he needed to play it smooth, play it cool and try not to fall into the inferior position...
Though truthfully, he was at least a bit scared she would try to cut his throat open! And that seemed painful and inwardly, he cringed.

Wishing he could at least get a good look at her (cause hey, if she was going to be his killer, he at least wanted to see if she were hot...) he found himself guffawing.
"What's so important about you job anyway? Can't you see I've got my own problems? And really, you're just adding to the mix..."

Yeah, just keep it cool, he thought. Maybe she'll back down and take pity? A foolish thought, he knew, but he saw women cave for sillier things. Like crying babies that weren't even their own!

TreeFolk

She tightened her jaw, her nose scrunching up as she glared holes in the back of his head. She did not do well with criticism. Especially not from men who stole from her. "I would have been able to handle my job just fine if scum like you and your men did not exist." She paused, and let out a short laugh. "And I am better at my job than your men and you are at your job. I was able to tail your man back here, easily, without him suspecting. I was able to climb into your building, shoot your men, and retrieve my pack." She smoothed the side of her free hand down his face, as if in affection as she finally cooed in his ear, "And don't forget our current situation, and what you failed at doing to land you in such a spot."

She felt a brief flush run over her body, making her pull away from his ear. She felt claustrophobic in this building, and the air was stale and dead. "And ransom is a strong word. I am holding you accountable. Not to mention you were a bargaining tool."

"It is my business, the importance. But know that those who hired me will not be pleased, and their displeasure trickles down. You are now in that trickle down."

Who was this man, anyways? His utter refusal to compromise was baffling, given his current situation. Releasing a sigh of frustration, she summoned what little magic she could to wrap the chair's wood around his wrists again. Finally taking the dirk away from his neck, she stepped out away from him and to the other side of the desk to face him. She leveled an irritated look at him.   "I can't risk wasting any more time on this. Really, you must be either very brave, or very stupid." Bending to pick up the broken pieces of her bow, she shoved them into the pack before slinging it over her shoulder. She could feel her stomach tying in knots, worrying about whether or not she would truly be in trouble with the late delivery... Perhaps she could go back to the intersection and find the bread man on the morrow when the sun came back up again?

She began walking to the door, "You will be released in... give or take half an hour or so. Don't struggle... Mahogany tends to bite, and I will not be here to tell it not to." Stopping in the doorway, she looked over her shoulder at him, "Do not think I will forget this."

Once she was in the hallway, Kieta caught the scent of fresh air and followed it up and out of the building and into the alley. Exiting the alley, she released a groan of frustration, looking out at the darkening streets of the city as she dug out the instructions from her pocket. There was nothing about who the bread man would bring other than a name, and she certainly couldn't go around asking for this person. And there was no help whatsoever in the form of a map. The best she could try to do would be to try and find her way back to the intersection she was originally meant to meet this person at, and wait until the next day.

She headed out, practically blind with all of her senses masked by the city sounds, smells, and vibrations, and not remembering the path from earlier since she had been in such a rush... But she was determined to try and find her way out of the city anyways.

visualspice

When he finally got a look at her, his blue eyes took in every inch of her. He didn't really hide that fact, but he kept his nonplussed expression when his eyes returned to hers.
"Talk is cheap. But good luck with your job!" he said, calling after her disappearing form and with a sigh, he looked down at his bond hands and began to jerk and attempt to wriggle free. But the only 'bite' that came was how he was beginning to rub some of his skin raw. And with that, he sighed and leaned his head back in his chair, and began to hit it lightly before opening his eyes to stare at the ceiling.  Maybe he could simply stand up and walk around to get help? It seemed like a viable enough option, and soon he was scooting as far as he could to the end of his chair, and leaned forward, rocking on his heels before he found himself falling forward, and smashing his face into his desk.

And boy did it ever hurt! And that wasn't even all! For when he tried to get up, he felt himself slipping and, without having his hands to balance himself, he was soon crying as he crashed onto his side. And a moment later, he groaned.

"Maybe I should have been nicer." He shuffled uneasily. "I have to piss like no one's business."

And to pass the time, he tried scooting around like some snail, chair strapped to his body and more or less confining all movements greatly. And by the time he made it tot he door, he realized with a curse- he had no way to reach the door knob!

ANd so there he lay, but just as she 'promised' the spell was lifted and at a most unexpected time, cause in doing so caused him to fall forward, and smashed his face again.

Once he procured some ice, he wrapped it inside a clothe and held it to his nose, which was turning purple and swelling. And to top it off, he was getting a migraine and one of his men was late on a delivery. Now the value of the goods would be halved and he still had to deal with those two ex-employees. He had to make sure his associates knew they weren't part of his circle anymore. Disgruntled, former employees happened, and he was trying to be proactive.

It wouldn't take him long to figure out where they've gone- some Tavern called 'The Salty Pig' on near the east coast of Lake Matron. Unfortunately, the place wasn't near him, and as he made his way through the labyrinth of streets, he paused when he heard a pair of familiar voices and peeked down the alley he'd just passed.

And wasn't he surprised to see, all the way on the other end of it- those two men AND the magical, pointy eared girl! (for as much as she had tried to hide those features, Trest noticed them first (okay,.. maybe after her chest!) And for all he knew, from the looks of things- they were all in cahoots! That would figure they'd work together to one up him! Wouldn't they be sorry when they realized he was about to foil their plans!

But as he moved down the alley way, undetected, his ears picked up on something that sounded like a much different scenario than he'd imagined,  and soon he was slipping behind a crate, crouching int he shadows and watching as the men pulled weapons on the woman and demanded for her pack-
and something sinisterly more.

TreeFolk

Gods above, she was miserably lost. She had been wandering the streets for an irritatingly long time, lost and increasingly aggravated. With her pack strap being cut earlier, she had to make do with tying the ends together, and awkwardly tucking it beneath her arm to carry it. She had since relocated her broken bow bits to her quiver, and she moved through the streets, sick with the smells, a pounding headache radiating from the bridge of her nose to the back of her head. Kieta was dragging her feet by the time she stumbled into an alleyway, truly believing that she would never escape the labyrinth of city streets. The most she could smell was a lake somewhere nearby, one she hoped was not surrounded by yet more city streets. Surely they could not surround an entire lake with this disgusting city? But if she could find the lake, perhaps she could find a river, and from the river she could find her way out of the city.

Groaning, she plopped down on the steps of a doorway, crossing her arms over her bent knees and resting her face. At least these alleys provided her with some quiet from the onslaught of the city. It was unnatural that even in the darkening streets, that people seemed to still be moving about. It was becoming increasingly apparent that city people were a far different breed than those of the small villages and towns she had been to. Even if she did manage to trace her way to the river, it would probably take all night! And then she would have to weave her way back to that damned intersection of the city. While she might have an excellent sense of direction out in the wilderness, that skill was apparently not transferable to cities.

The vibrations of heavy, uneven footsteps brought her attention, followed soon by the rancid smell of alcohol. A curse streamed from her lips as she leaped up and pulled her dirk out, shoving the pack into the doorway and standing in front of it. Squaring her shoulders, Kieta growled and bared her teeth as she watched the two men from earlier stumbling down the alley towards her.

"You do not learn, do you?" Gods she felt dizzy, but she stood her ground.

One of the men scoffed, hawking back in his throat before he spit viciously to the side. He slurred his words. "Lookie here. The bitch who got us canned. Lucky us, don't you think Brady?"

Brady grunted and smirked, "Wonder what happened to the boss? Don't matter really, we'll get him good, if you ain't got him already." He stuck a pinky in his mouth, and dug out a piece of meet from between his teeth, before flicking it her way. His partner, Gareth, moved to her other side, effectively flanking her into the doorway. They watched in amusement as Kieta extended her free arm back to try and jostle the doorknob.

Gareth smirked at her. "Without your hostage, how you plannin' on getting out of this pickle? Seems a mighty fine one." He dragged his sword out of its sheath lazily. "How'd you suppose she could get herself out o' this with her life, Brady?"

Brady pulled his own daggers from his belt, setting his feet apart in preparation to fight. "I think she oughta hand o'er her pack. Got sommut good in there, don't you, bitch?"

Kieta scowled, and flinched back as the tip of Gareth's sword came to rest on the top of her shirt, at the hollow between her breasts. "I think she's got sommut good beneath these clothes o' hers, too. I think she owes us a bit more'n that pack now."

Brady spat to the side and looked her up and down hungrily. "I like my wenches with a bit more... Meat on their bones. But this one'll do good enough."

Kieta was calculating her next action, sweat beading on her brow as she loosened and re-tightened her grip on her dirk... While they were busy ogling her body, she had been busy appraising theirs, looking for the signs of blood where she had shot them earlier. With one smooth movement, she ducked out beneath the sword, ignoring the feel of her shirt being ripped, kicking her heel into the arrow wound on Gareth's thigh... As she turned to stab Brady, he knocked her head heavily against the wall of the alley.

Kieta grunted and reeled from the blow, feeling a warmth at the back of her head as she righted herself. She took on Brady, and was holding her own until Gareth regained his composure, cursing and spitting as he slammed her against the bricks of the alleyway, his forearm pressed into her throat. His other hand reached in anger down to the buckle of her belt, and for the moment he was too angry to navigate unbuckling it  as she kicked and fought beneath him. If only there was some kind of wood, or water, or even a blade of grass she could use to help her! the most she could do in this stifling city was make them labor in breathing. She cursed and grunted, fighting to get out from under his arm, her nails digging into the man's forearm.

visualspice

As the events unfolded before him, his assumptions were proven wrong. And despite wanting to chuckle that it was the woman's turn to be one upped, he realized the situation was as severe as the men's drinking problem and moving through the shadows, he came up behind the men. And before they knew what was happening, Trest was upon them.

"Lovely night for a stroll, ladies," and as the men turned, Trest wasted no time in cracking their heads together as the men stumbled to their knees, seeing stars. "Oh my, look at that. I guess both of your heads hard. Herr I wanted to see ifI could crack them like the rotten snake eggs you are.". And to the woman, he gave a nod..

"By the way, you owe me a new chair." He kind of broke it when he tried to escape.

TreeFolk

Once she was released from the chokehold, Kieta stumbled against the wall of the alley, hand clutching her neck as she inhaled deeply, coughing violently. She knew there would be an ugly bruise to accompany the strangled feeling of her throat.

In utter shock she watched the same thief from before easily take out the two men, cracking their heads together. The strength it took to crack two men's heads together hard enough to knock them down was not a laughable matter, and she had not expected it of this particular man. She was experiencing something akin to delayed anxiety, realizing reflectively that she had been very, very lucky to catch him off-guard earlier. Now, if she encountered him out where there was nature, of course it'd be a different matter. She would have her magic.

When he looked to her, she noticed the one named Brady grabbing for her dirk, which she had dropped. Using the hand not clutched to her neck, she pushed herself away from the wall, grabbed the dirk, and then landed a solid kick to the man's jaw, effectively knocking him out.

Bending over double, she pressed her hands against her knees and coughed again, looking up and choking out. "We'll see..."

As she tried to catch her breath, she gestured towards the men, circling her hand. "You might..." She coughed once more, straightened, cringing. "You might think about how to deal with them." She hurt, and her head was throbbing even more, now that she'd had it hit hard enough to bleed. She clutched at her shirt where it was gaping open a bit. "Don't know if you caught it, but they've got a plan to kill you." She looked down at the men, her upper lip curling back in slight disgust. "Well, not sure how smart a plan, but a plan."

visualspice

Casually, he pulled out a corked vile, and from it he pulled a small cloth, which he gave a single shake to open it before getting.to one knee and forcing it over Gareth's mouth.
"A lot of people want me dead," he went on, keeping a knee on Gareth's back as the man struggled against the poisoned cloth. "I run a successful business after all and people get jealous when they realize what that entails. But its something I worked hard for, started on my own and-" and as he was talking, Gareth was struggling until he abruptly stopped and landed on his head.

Removing the cloth, he lifted Gareth up by his hair, examined his face closely before simply letting him drop back to the ground. Patting the unconscious man on the shoulder, he moved over to Brady and tested his side with a light kick of his boot. He was out like a light.

"Anyway, the point is jealousy rots the mind. If these men understood the implications of hard work... Perhaps they'd try for something more suitable that their small heads can handle." And he tossed aside the used poisoned cloth before dusting off his hands.

"Now about my chair..."

TreeFolk

Kieta leveled a look on him, moss green eyes perplexed. In the Otherworld, plots to kill were not uncommon, but their motivations were often different. The implications of those plots were also apparently different, or else this man would be much more concerned for his life and livelihood. To her, it was kill or be killed, there was no gray areas about it. Perhaps in her earlier years she might have considered other solutions, but now that any person trying to kill her was a hunter, that changed things. If she let a hunter live, he would be able to inform others. And by passing that information on, a hunting party would naturally form to pursue her. While she might be able to take on three hunters at a time, which was the usual size of a group of hunters from the Otherworld, she would not likely escape a larger party.

She did not fear death nearly as much as she feared capture, which was another deciding factor to not letting her pursuers live. The things she would be forced to do if captured were worse to imagine than her own death. She knew how easily her hand could be forced, how easily it would be for her to be the weapon of a master. At least for a while, until she was able to escape. But the terrible things that she would do in the interim made her shutter.

"I am not overly fond of letting those who seek to kill me live. Rather, I cannot afford to let them live." She shrugged. "But perhaps your enemies are not as dangerous and determined as mine."

She allowed her fingers to gingerly touch the back of her head, wincing as she pulled them away from her matted brown hair and found them wetted with her blood. "I do not have time nor the coin for your chair, I have to finish this delivery..." She slowly sat down on the steps, wincing again as she twisted her body to pull her pack to herself. She rummaged through its contents, pulling out a swath of cloth and pressing it to the back of her head. "But I suppose if it is that important to you, you could follow me to my delivery and I will pay you from what I get." She didn't have enough energy to argue that really they should be calling it even, in her opinion. His life for her life, her bow for his chair. She also didn't feel the need to mention that she was still hopelessly lost.

visualspice

He didn't waste a beat when replying, "Deal." But was quick to add, "But under one condition." And before even speaking it, he gave her a smile.
"You also have to buy me dinner. A nice, big fat juicy steak with potatoes, smashed and smothered in carrot gravy." And the very idea of such a meal reminded him he skipped lunch. He was rather tied up...

TreeFolk

For a moment she debated calling it off, just for the sheer fact that she found his attitude presumptuous and irritating. Though if she was truly honest with herself, she did actually need him to help guide her to where she needed to go. Now it was just the matter of finding a way to get him to do so, without exposing the fact that she had no idea where they were going. "I'm guessing we're far from the Brandy intersection, so it'll have to be breakfast."

She dug into her pack again, pulling out a small bundle and handing it to him. "If you're hungry, there you go." Half of her wanted to slip a piece of Otherworld food into the bundle, which would efficiently set up a trap for him... No non-Otherworlders could eat the food without getting bound to the Otherworld. But that would draw undue attention to them... And, again, she needed him to guide her.

Kieta pushed herself up with a groan, lodging the pack beneath her arm again and securing her quiver and dirk. She walked out of the alley, paused briefly, before turning in the direction of where she felt the lake, praying that she was picking the right direction, dreading the moment he'd notice she was lost, but refusing to admit it aloud.

visualspice

Trest eyed the offered food but didn't eat it
"So where are we going? And I'm hoping it's in Matron's hallow." He had places to be tomorrow morning and was presuming this arrangement would be brief... And you know, offer supper.

Tags: