Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Tragedy in Clarity (Spicious) (Open by request)

Started by SapphireIceDragon, May 01, 2015, 09:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SapphireIceDragon

"I suppose I could rest for a few moments," Cia replied, reluctantly sitting in the grass beside him. She let out a sigh and closed her eyes. I hope I don't oversleep...we can't waste too much time... Before long, her body relaxed, and she slumped onto the tree behind her. Right before she slipped into slumber, she mumbled, "Goodnight, Maverick,"

Arthuriel

Maverick looked at her curiously. He knew what sleep was objectively, and he understood that humans needed it to function, but it seemed to be such a disadvantage. He thought of the wolf he'd heard earlier, that it would be easy for the beast to kill her right now.

Walking over to Cia, Maverick sat down beside her, stretching his legs out. Putting an arm around her shoulder, he sat there for the rest of the night, not daring to wake her till the sun was rising.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia shifted in her sleep but didn't wake. Everything was just so...comfortable. She couldn't even imagine waking up, not when everything around her was so warm and radiant. She curled up closer to Maverick sometime during the night.

When morning came, she still did not wake. Her body seemed to be as heavy as stones, still exhausted from not getting proper sleep so many times before. Sunlight filtered through the canopy leaves and caressed her skin.

Arthuriel

In his long years in the Hells, Maverick had heard tales of terrible creatures of power and beauty. Angels, they were called, and there wasn't a devil or demon in all the hells that didn't fear them. As he looked upon Cia, the light caressing her face, he couldn't help but compare her to these beings.

"Wake up, Angel," He said nudging her face with his tail.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia's eyebrows furrowed, and she mumbled something incoherently before reluctantly opening her eyes. Sitting beside her was Maverick. His tail nudged her face, and she couldn't help but sneeze. She lazily looked up at him.

"Hello," she said, still groggy from sleep. She slowly stood to her feet and began to stretch. They would probably have to start traveling soon. "How long have you been awake?"

Arthuriel

Maverick jumped from his seated position, leaning backwards and cracking his spine with several loud pops!. "I don't sleep," He said, before offering to help her up with his tail. It was a new addition to his hellish body, something that had randomly appeared. he found it incredibly useful and his control over it was ever increasing.

"Come on, we should be off."

SapphireIceDragon

"Mhm," she mumbled, accepting his help. Her senses were strengthening as she began to fully wake up. He doesn't sleep? I wonder what it would be like, to not need rest. She pulled her hair behind her shoulders and shrugged. I wish I didn't need sleep at the moment. It seems more like a burden than anything else...

Arthuriel

"Well, I've not a clue where we should go, any place seems as good as any." He said popping his neck. "Would you like a ride?" Maverick looked at her with a mischievous grin, it was about to be the start of an adventure! He didn't know if they'd ever find her brother, but the thought of spending an extended amount of time with Cia made him smile.

SapphireIceDragon

An hour or so later, the two stumbled upon an old, rugged hut of sorts. A mysterious air surrounded the place. Cia got off of the Nightmare, also known as Maverick, and approached it. It seemed as good of a place as any to start their search.

Cia walked up to the hut and gently knocked on one of the walls.

"Hello? Is anyone home?" She called.

Arthuriel

As Maverick shifted back to his humanoid form, the raggedy door flew open. A strange woman with purple and red eyes appeared at the door. Her ears were slightly pointed, but not enough to be a full elf. She, by normal standards, would be considered quite beautiful with her fair skin and sharp cheekbones. She wore a simple blue robe, worn by use and age. Her brownish black hair was short and spiky and seemed to go everywhere at once.

"Hallo, Cia!" She exclaimed, smiling wide as she gestured the apparently expected guests into her home.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia looked at the woman curiously as she entered the hut. How did she know her name? Then again, she had met more than a few eccentric strangers, so this wasn't too bad. After all, at least the woman hadn't attacked them.

"Thank you for letting us in," Cia said. "Your kindness is appreciated." She had spoken the statement more than a few times in her work. "We are in...well...quite a predicament, you see."

Arthuriel

Maverick entered the room rather hesitantly, this woman was strange and her soul was... odd. It wasn't black, nor white. In fact, it looked to be a rather bluish hue. The inside was just as ragged as the outside, with broken chairs and chipped plates. Dust covered many of the shelves and it looked like no one had lived there in a long time. Maverick wasn't sure anyone did anyway.

"Oh, yes, yes, I know," The woman said, gesturing for the pair to sit down in chairs Maverick would've sworn were in pieces moments ago. "You're looking for..." She narrowed her multi-colored eyes at Cia for a moment. "Caleb! You're looking for your brother."

"Yes, and who are you?" Maverick said, his normally aloof voice cold and distant. Anyone with such a strange colored soul wasn't to be trusted.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia sat down, not wanting to be rude to the woman. She wondered how she knew who she was searching for. Perhaps she had psychological powers? If so, she could be a great help for both of them.

"Yes, but our only lead was a fake," Cia sighed. "My brother's pendant was an illusion, when it was actually a simple bone." She didn't know why she was spilling all of this information. The woman just seemed trustworthy, and she could read her mind, anyways.

Arthuriel

The strange woman nodded her head furiously, offering Cia some tea out of a pot that Maverick knew had been shattered on the floor. "Yes, yes, Arthuriel..." She zoned off for a moment, her eyes glazing over.

She suddenly looked to Maverick, who stood leaning against the back wall. "Ethriel," She stood, tendrils of grey smoke swirling around her wrists. Peering off at a wall, seemingly at something Maverick and Cia couldn't see, she spoke. "Demon of fire and rage, slayer of immortals and," She turned her attention back to Cia. "Thieving Deceiver."

SapphireIceDragon

Cia furrowed her eyebrows, hesitantly picking up her cup of tea and taking a sip. They already knew that Arthuriel was terrible.

"Can you tell us something...that we do not know? I apologize if I seem rude, but we already know the extent of Arthuriel's evil. Somewhat. Is there anything important that you'll be able to tell us?" She asked, still speaking in the matter that she used with her clients.

Arthuriel

"Something you don't know...?" The woman turned now to Maverick. "He knew the pendant had an enchantment on it, did you?" She walked over to the fiend, sizing him up.

"Ethriel..." She repeated, turning away and sitting down. She stared off as if listening for something. Maverick narrowed his eyes, watching the woman. What was she? He had known about the enchantment, but he assumed she had as well. He turned to Cia, his face void of emotion, wondering what she'd do.

SapphireIceDragon

Cia tensed, a terrible feeling in the pit of her gut. She looked at Maverick with uncertainty in her eyes. Is that...true? Everything the woman said before has been true, so there's no other assumption...

"I can't believe you," she whispered, refusing to meet his eyes. "Why...Why did you never tell me? I never would've left that fortress..." She had no prior experience with magical items, so how was she supposed to know? She felt somewhat betrayed...

Arthuriel

"Tell you what?" He asked, anger slightly in his voice. "Tell you something I didn't know? If you remember, I never saw the pendant until Arthuriel gave the enchanted bone back. For all I knew, you knew it was enchanted as well." The fire in his eyes seemed to dim in color, changing from a bright yellow to dark orange.

Meanwhile the woman still sat in her chair, staring off. Every few moments she whispered ominously, "Ethriel.."

SapphireIceDragon

"If I knew it was enchanted, I wouldn't have left," Cia sighed, shaking her head. "Never mind. It doesn't matter now, it's all in the past. I'm sorry," In truth, her nerves were set on edge when Maverick got angry. She had never seen him mad before. Her eyes scanned the room, looking for something to distract her thoughts. Little did she know that the temperature in the room was dropping.

Arthuriel

The woman stood suddenly, moving uncomfortably close to Cia. She peered into the assassin's eyes, her own swirling like a portal. "You are cold," She pointed her left index finger at Maverick. "He is fire." She backed up suddenly, switching her gaze between Cia and Maverick. "An odd pair."

Maverick calmed himself, mentally scolding himself for his angry tone.