Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Parties and Funerals (Deli/PM to join)

Started by Arthuriel, May 12, 2015, 01:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthuriel

The sun had just barely dipped into the horizon of the western sky and some vestige of light still shone a bright pinkish-orange. The light of almost-set sun shined through the arched windows of the Kresstulian manor as guests began to arrive. Ianice, the lord of the house, welcomed each arrival with a friendly smile and handshake. Despite his outward calm, his mind was warped with a sadness no one should know.

It was with a heavy heart he greeted the newcomers and directed them to the ballroom. When the initial tide of guests ended, the lord moved from the large oak doors and walked over to the bar, ordering a servant to bring him a glass of wine.

He ran a hand through his black hair, waiting for his wine and silently wondering who was here to celebrate his new lordship of the house and of the Whitesands province, and who was here to mourn the death of his father, Jeran. His father had been a great man, of that there was little doubt. He had brought the house Kresstul to great heights; if there had ever been of golden-age of the house, this was it.

But despite that, Ianice knew his father better than anyone, knew he was weak-minded and cowardly. How many times did a chance to destroy a rival house come and go, completely ignored by Jeran? Worse yet, he was renowned for helping the lesser houses when he should've crushed them.

The servant returned later, pulling the lord from his thoughts, and Ianice grabbed the cup of wine almost too forcibly before ordering the elderly man to greet all others who arrived. He forced his bitterness to not show on his face. His father had perished in some... well, less than definite means and it wouldn't do for people to begin to suspect him. It was for that reason alone that Ianice Kresstul had faked his grieving, and faked it well.

It wasn't likely any knew what part he played in his father's death, not that he had, of course. He observed the room, spotting his sister, Zenith, standing on the balcony of the ballroom, watching the crowd with a sharp eye. He wondered if she'd ever respect anyone enough to wear something more fashionable than that dreary leather outfit she always sported. But in truth, Ianice couldn't blame her, her complete inability with magic had left her quite pathetic, the poor girl.

Delentus

Ceyld hated these sorts of parties, loathed them really. They were just meant to be so that everyone could see what up-in-coming competition was to be had and to sow the seeds of possible alliances. And it was always at parties like these that he regretted raising his House, with the help of those who he was visiting, to become the great house of Summervale. Though the only reasons why he was even there was because tradition dictated it, and he wanted to give his sincere condolences to the children of his old friend the recently passed Jeran.

"Might as well get this over with." he mumbled to himself as he walked through the doors to the ballroom, luckily he missed the first wave of guests so he could just walk in without having to wait. After getting himself something to drink though, he decided he needed to find the newly appointed High Lord of Whitesands.

It took him just a few minutes, and a few questions, before he finally spotted the young man and made his way over to him. "I'm sorry to hear that your father passed, he was a great man." he said to Ianice as he walked up beside him crossing his arms over his armored chest in the process. "I'd offer advice on how to keep a House together at times like this, but I'm sure you have everything under control."

Arthuriel

Ianice regarded Ceyld with veiled contempt. Summervale had grown to be a very powerful house because of Jeran's help and the new lord couldn't help but feel bitter towards them.

"It's really not needed, the Kresstul house is known for smooth transitions of lordship." He said, his voice friendly. "How is Summervale? All is well, I hope."

JackieCat

"Oh crap," Lorin added a few more words to that sentence as she swung uncontrollably towards the large stained-glass window.  This was not what she had planned.  The plan had been to tie a rope to a branch on the large tree outside the window, then swing to the windowsill, walk along the ledges to another, smaller, window open it, get inside, steal some stuff, and move on.

But she had misjudged the distance, the height, the everything.

Now she was swinging at a terrific speed towards a huge second floor window, but she knew that this window wasn't just a few feet off of the floor, this window looked into the great hall, and the second floor window had no second floor beneath it, just the far fall down to the floor of the great hall, where there happened to be a party happening.

To tell the truth, the parties had been the reason Lorin had chosen this night.  If she was going to sneak into another window she would be able to sneak around easier, as many of the guards would be in the great hall, watching the guests for any signs of trouble.  Ah well, here was some trouble for them.

Lorin curled up in a ball as she braced for the impact on the window.

It was worse than she thought it would have been.  As she smashed through the window, which probably was worth a lot of money, the shards of glass cut into all exposed areas of her skin.  Which was her green face and hands.  As she flew through the now-shattered window she looked down to see all of the party guests looking up at her in amazement as she flew over their heads.

AS it turned out, hanging in the center of the room was a huge chandelier.  Lorin flew across the ceiling and landed on top of the chandelier.  The chandelier hanger was not meant to hold the weight of the expensive glass lighting fixture and and young elf woman, no matter how light Lorin was.

The fixture swung, and then the hanger cracked, and both Lorin and the chandelier came crashing to the floor.  Right before impact, Lorin leaped clear of the chandelier.

The chandelier crashed to the marble floor, sending pieces of glass and metal flying everywhere.  No one had been under the thing when it fell, but by the time this was done, there would be at least a few cuts and bruises.

Lorin skidded across the floor, her cut hands and face leaving bloody trails behind her as she fell.  She came rolling to a stop right on the feet of a tall, incredibly handsome man.

"Damn you're hot," was all she said.  What else could she say?

My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Delentus

"Oh nothing out of the ordinary. Harvest has been well, trade is as good as norm-" he started to ramble off the expected things to say when he was interrupted by a loud crash. Ceyld immediately turned his, as did everyone else, to the source of the sound. What he saw was far from what he was expecting, it looked liked a green-skinned elf just burst through a window and was flying towards a chandelier.

Maybe this won't be as bad as I thought it would. He thought to himself as he watched the chandelier drop with the elf woman and then as she slid over to the feet of him and Ianice.

"Friend of yours?" he couldn't help but ask with a smirk as he popped his sword out with his thumb. Trying not to chuckle at what she said, and what just transpired.

Arthuriel

Ianice stood with wide eyes, trying to come up with a response to the events. This was not at all how the party was meant to go. He needed to deal with this quickly; if people thought he couldn't stop a common thief from getting into his own home, they may think him unfit to lead!

"I'll take it from her," His sister voice tore him from his panicking thoughts and he looked at her in confusion as he yanked the would-be thief up.

"Excuse me?" He asked, running a hand through his black hair to hide it's shaking.

"As Blade Master of House Kresstul, it is my duty to handle all security breaches," Zenith said and Ianice tried to hide his anger. She'd been vying for that position for years and she had yanked it right under his nose. He couldn't very well tell her no in front of all the guests! For the briefest moments, the Lord considered that maybe his sister wasn't so helpless... The thought left almost as soon as it came. She, like that buffoon Ceyld, didn't use any magics. There wasn't any way she'd planed this.

Instead, he cleared his throat and nodded. "Very well, take her away and put a guard on her till I can question her."

JackieCat

"Wait wait wait," Lorin said, pulling her arm from Ianice's grip. "I'm not breaking in!  I made a mistake, that's all there's no need to question me. . ."

She realized how terrible the lie was and sighed, but she wasn't that concerned. "Okay, fine, but at least gimmie some water or something.  And if i don't get the glass from these wounds quick, they're going to get infected."

She felt her face, and when she brought her fingers away they were covered in her blood. "See?  I'll go with you willingly, I just need some help here."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Ianice said nothing for a moment, wanting the thief to suffer her wounds for as long as he could. As he stared at her, he noticed that the servants had already removed most of the fallen chandelier and put up candles. He looked to his sister and nodded. "Take her away, tend her wounds and make sure she stays put."

Zenith nodded her head and led her prisoner away roughly.

Ianice turned to Ceyld, his face red with embarrassment and anger. "Apologies, friend. I didn't think this would happen."

JackieCat

Lorin chuckled as she was pulled away.  Well, wasn't this an adventure? Anyone who saw the elf must've thought she was drunk, who would be pleased about being caught?  Well, the truth was, Lorin wasn't really pleased, she just wasn't to disappointed, what an opportunity!

"Wow, you're eyes are stunning!" Lorin said to the woman who was pulling her along.  Lorin wasn't just being crazy, the other's eyes were attractive. "I like the whole 'black hair green eyes' look, well, I have it myself!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Delentus

Ceyld's outward expression was like it always was. Cold and passive, but on the inside he was ridiculing this young "lord". He knew that this young woman who claimed to be the Blade Master probably just claimed that title in front of all the guests so that Ianice couldn't disagree with her.

It helped that she seemed to be the only interesting person he had met at this party.

"Who was your Blade Master? I don't ever recall seeing her before." he asked, changing the subject before he started to laugh in the new Lord of Whitesands's face.

Arthuriel

"Zenith, my sister," Ianice said, relieved that the thief hadn't disrupted the party and the guests were chatting as though nothing had happened. No doubt, of course, they were talking about him. He knew they'd be gossiping about him for weeks, laughing behind his back and mocking his power.

He'd show them, he'd show them all one day. But for now, he had to be clever and careful.

"She's been wanting the position for years and I believed that giving it to her would help her with the passing of father. Poor girl hasn't been taking it well, I'm afraid."

JackieCat

Lorin was now in a washroom, and was cleaning her face and hands and getting as much glass out of herself as possible.  When she was finally finished she drank some water and turned to Zenith. "So, now where to?  The dungeons?  If so, I wan't to talk to the guy upstairs while I'm in there, the guy who told you to take me away."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Arthuriel

Zenith frowned at Lorin. She hadn't said anything to the thief, wasn't exactly sure what she would say. She didn't seem to understand her predicament, was complimenting her. 

"No, you don't." She said at length, her tone as forceful as her melodious voice could allow. "He has guests and wouldn't want to be interrupted by a common street rat." Zenith placed a hand on the dagger she kept on her side, finding a comfort in the familiar touch of the hilt.

JackieCat

"Well now," Lorin said, as if scolding a child, "that's not a very kind thing to say.  A street rat?  I wonder if it would interest you to know that I have a very fine set of skills of my own, I'm not just a simple pickpocket.

"And about talking to that guy, what's-his-face, Ianice, I don't need to talk to him now, but when the party's over."  Lorin clapped her hands together in anticipation. "Anyway, let's get to this dungeon, oh, I'm so exited!  I always like seeing new dungeons, they're very interesting, you know, especially when you're inside of them!"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Delentus

"She looks like she doesn't enjoy dressing to the occasion." he said with a slight chuckle. "I can respect that though. I probably loathe it more than she does, but I'm curious why a young girl from a house of renowned mages would want to be a weapon master."

Arthuriel

Zenith had had enough. Between the death of her father, her two competent siblings running off to avoid the repercussions his death and Ianice, the foolish boy he was, she was done with this disrespectful thief.

She whipped the dagger from the sheath, pressing to the back of Lorin's neck, drawing a thin line of blood.

"I have a very fine set of skills as well, thief," She spat the word like poison in her mouth. "I could kill you right now before you could even scream, so you will shut up and do as you're told or gods help me, I will butcher you into a thousand pieces and tell everyone you escaped. They'll believe me, too, and no one will miss you. You will fade from memory without anyone to mourn you and I will have done the world a service. Do you understand?"

"Oh, she was born without the ability to use magic, of any kind," Ianice explained, taking a sip of his wine. "Her father had her trained in most weapons so she wouldn't be tempted to resort to more... devilish means of magic. We do worry about her, of course. But I think she'll be all right in the end." He smirked inwardly; his fool of a sister being fine? Please, she was a pathetic excuse of a Kresstulian child, but he couldn't prove she wasn't, try as he had in the past. What a waste of a child.

JackieCat

"Okay, I'll shut up, but can I say one thing?  I do have some rights."
Lorin wasn't very scared by the knife show, but she assumed that the threat was genuine, she didn't really want to push her luck and get killed.  She also believed that if this woman told everyone she had escaped, even if they didn't believe her, they wouldn't care, who would?  Another thief getting killed, who would care?
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor