Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Amidst the Winter [Zane]

Started by Zero, May 12, 2015, 06:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"I was born gifted with spirit magic, but it did not really manifest until early childhood. I think I was four when my first significant magic actually occurred. One of the family cats died, a grey tom with white boots that I was very fond of, but for weeks after the old thing had been buried they would still find me talking to it, and occasionally the servants swore they saw it following me about the house. After that I was tutored extensively, of course, and eventually there was no more talk of the cat, because it had gone. Its spirit finally moved on, I suppose." Dimitri paused thoughtfully for a moment, shaking his head. "What of you? Were you naturally prone to summoning or is it a purely taught skill?"

Zane

Amaya listened to his story with genuine interest, nodding where appropriate. When the high lord turned the question back on her, she looked thoughtful for a moment. "A bit of both, actually. When I was younger, I had some amount of talent crafting wards, weak magical barriers, things like that. When David was training for knighthood, he came across a journal. It was paradoxically written and he couldn't decipher it. So I took it off his hands." She paused to take a bite of the cake.

"What I soon found out was that it detailed the practice of summoning. Even with my once tutors helping me to reveal its secrets, it was quite the endeavor. After sever years with it, I think I know most of what it wants to share, and some of what it doesn't. I just with I could figure out who wrote it in the first place." Placing focus back Dimitri's eyes, "I am grateful for my understanding of wards. When you first summon a spirit, before making a contract with them, they can be quite dangerous." Amaya grabbed the center claw on her Medium Necklace between her index finger and thumb, showcasing it to Lord Orlov. It was a tiger claw, "This one was quite the fearsome beast, I have since learned him to be quite docile."

Zero

It was with rapt attention that Dimitri took in Amaya's recounting of her experiences with wards and this mysterious journal on the subject of summoning. What he wouldn't give to get his hands on such a book. Not that he had ever took a practical interest in summoning, but it was still fascinating and something that he was sure to be capable of if he only applied himself to the task. Most interesting was the amount of time it had taken her to decipher the writing. Surely such a transcript would be highly worthwhile.

"That is all quite astounding. Please, before I leave you simply must let me see this journal. I cannot afford years devoted to studying it, but just to have a few minutes with it would be quite thrilling. Not to mention I would love to see your work first hand." There was no pretending now, Dimitri was genuinely interested and excited by the idea of seeing Amaya work and of seeing this book of hers.

Zane

Calm yourself Amaya, he isn't that interested. He is trying to be cordial. Try and think herself down all she like, the girl couldn't help deny that having someone other than family take an interest in her hobby was, flattering. Perhaps a bit staggering. But she wasn't Juniper, and she sure as hell wasn't Bellamy. She wasn't going to loose her head over this. "I would be honored to share the journal and some of my knowledge with you, Lord Orlov." she spoke calmly, with a smile and a courteous nod.

The ringing of spoons against bowls told them both that the cake was gone, and the timely chime of the clock told them that Midnight had come, "Shall I guide you to your suite now, Your Grace."

Zero

Lilac eyes practically lit up, Dimitri grinned as she agreed to share her magical talents with him before he left. They were very similar, in their magic, although he specialized in healing and she worked with summoning. Both were forms of spirit magic. There weren't a great many mages that were exceptionally talented with magic of the spirit, elemental affinities such as fire, air, earth, and water were much more common.

They had finished dessert, and he heard the clock signal the arrival of midnight. How late it had gotten! Dimitri had been on the road since dawn and found himself quite worn out, despite his excitement regarding this mysterious journal. With a weary smile he stood from the table and gestured to Lazar who immediately brought his gloves, which he took and pulled on.

"If everything I have seen so far has been any indication, I imagine my suite is a veritable paradise. Please lead the way, Lady Amaya."

Zane

Amaya stood and politely pushed her chair in, "If you will follow me, I will show you to the Suite." She spoke calmly while she tried with some success to smother the fluttering in her chest. This wasn't like her. It's the wine, she assured herself. The Lady walked out of the dining hall and into the main hall. Ascending the grand staircase and turning down another hall, where she quickly him to a set of wide Oaken doors.

"Here you are, M'lord. I wish you a restful sleep. I will be here an hour after dawn for your tour. If you need anything, there is a silver bell on your nightstand, ring it and the house staff will be here post haste. Before I go, is there anything else I can do for you?"

Zero

Dimitri bowed his head lightly to Amaya and followed her silently through the house. Lazar followed but a few steps behind him, moving almost as silently as a ghost, and almost as unnoticed as one as well. During the quiet and brief walk, the High Lord tried to contemplate how his week spent with the Zamt'ris family might go, but thoughts of a warm, soft bed kept distracting him. He really was tired. Perhaps a bit anxious as well. These weeks away from Rillaria put him very behind on important paperwork.

They reached the beautifully carved oak doors to his suite and Dimitri turned to his hostess with a grateful smile as she gave instructions before asking if there was anything more he could need from her. "I think that will be all for the night, Lady Amaya. I think I've kept you from your own bed quite long enough. Thank you for the very pleasant company." With that he actually bowed to her quite graciously.

"May all your dreams be pleasant, my lady." Dimitri said softly as he straightened, before pushing open the door and stepping inside. Lazar followed him, also bowing to Amaya before he shut the doors wordlessly.

Zane

Amaya returned the bow to both Dimitri and his servant. The young Lady would have to remember to ask a name for him. Or it, Amaya reminded herself. The white haired woman hurried back to her own room, eager to rest despite the fact that her head would not shut up.

--------

Morning game quickly for those who didn't get to sleep before midnight. Likely that Amaya's sisters were all up pacing long after both the high lord and Amaya went to sleep, so they were unlikely to be up so soon after dawn. Amaya on the other hand, was up and dressed in a nice, semiformal gown. Perfect for interaction with guests who would be staying for a while. The fabric was a soft purple, almost of a similar shade to the high lords eyes, though it were unintentional on her part.

True to her word, Amaya waited on a nearby bench in the hallway outside the Lord's suite, two mugs sat with her, still steaming hot chocolate for her, and coffee for him. She had asked one of his guardsmen if he knew how the High Lord liked it, only to be given a strange look. So she instead brought a small container of milk and sugar with her.

Zero

It was very late when he retired for the evening, and despite his excitement about the journal, Dimitri found himself ready for bed and easily asleep within minutes. Usually he tossed and turned at least a little when sleeping in an unfamiliar bed, but not tonight. He'd have thought it curious if he wasn't so tired.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Lazar woke him before dawn, heating water in a small basin so that Dimitri could refresh himself and shave before dressing. A black, high-collared, quilted doublet embroidered with golden thread, black pants, and the construct had polished his boots. He checked himself in the mirror, making sure he looked very lordly, as appearances were unfortunately everything in this instance, before stepping into the hallway.

Amaya was waiting for him with two steaming mugs of something, and he gave her an easy smile. "I hope I did not keep you waiting too long, my lady. Are you normally up this early? I hope I haven't denied you sleep."

Zane

Amaya curtsied to Dimitri, "I haven't been here but a few moments, M'lord. Hardly a wait at all. And more often then not I am. I find an early start gives me quite the jump on the day. Allows me to Accomplish so much more and feel better while doing it." She gestured to the small tray on a portable stand. "I brought some coffee, I find a warm drink serves to drive away the last tendrils of sleep still clinging to the morning. But I didn't know how you drink your coffee" Or if you drink coffee, "So I also brought along some cream and sugar as well." The young lady informed him, ready to prepare the drink how ever he wanted it, as was customary. A hostess must serve her guest.

Zero

"How thoughtful you are, Lady Amaya. I wasn't expecting all this," Dimitri gestured to the portable stand with a grin, "I would say you've gone above and beyond the call of your duty as a hostess, except I have seen the lengths some of the young ladies have been going to make an impression on me. You're a downright delight in comparison." He actually gave a slight grimace, a grand showing of just how bad it had been! Thank Fyarion that it was almost over. All he had to do was survive the week, and so far this had been bearable. Although he knew that it would only get worse. The other sisters hadn't yet had a chance to corner him. Yet.

"An ounce of cream, no sugar, please. After that cake last night I daresay I should watch how much sugar I indulge in this morning." Dimitri returned to the easy smile, trying to put aside his dreadful anticipation of the reception the other three women might give him today as they really started to try to win him over.

Zane

Amaya was admittedly a bit taken aback by his free speech regarding the other women he had had the 'pleasure' of playing guest to. Part of her wondered why he would share that. "My mother has always taught that a favored guest should be treated better within our walls than their own." She smiled and added, "It's what keeps them coming back."

While adding cream to his coffee, the lady couldn't help but giggle softly at his comment, "I can hear the gossip now, housemaids of all Serendipity and abroad would be in a fit over the young High Lord that was felled over a sweet tooth. Though, it wouldn't be the first time if my memory servers me more accurately than it did last night." She handed him over the mug with a, "Careful, it's hot." before taking up her own mug, taking a long drink from it.

The mug wrapped in both hands, she smiled, "Shall we?"

Zero

It might not have been strictly correct to speak so freely about his previous hostesses, but Dimitri was more than tired of the pedestal that he found himself upon within these homes. Yes, he was an important guest, and the hospitality was to be expected, but he wasn't talking about bringing him coffee and being pleasant company. These women had been throwing themselves upon him, attempting to endear themselves to him, all for some imaginary benefit to themselves. Being High Lady of Moonspear wasn't going to be half as glamorous as some of these girls seemed to assume.

Knowing how fake they were being didn't help him choose a wife either. Ultimately it didn't matter to anyone if he even liked his wife as long as duty was done. Dimitri still wanted to at least have a wife that he could stand to be around. He took his now creamed coffee with a sigh. "Truthfully I worry more about my waist. I am not the most athletic of men, and as I said last night not a warrior. If I ate too many sweets I fear my future bride would have a very portly groom. Knowing my luck my naysayers would start crowing about my weight."

Zane

Amaya's calmness never left her, "It is not my place to comment on My Lord's diet, but you don't seem like a man to needlessly over indulge. I doubt that should be an issue for you. Now, shall we begin the tour?" The white haired lady began to walk in a slow pace, a 'conversation pace' as her mother called it. It was largely unhurried and could be maintained autonomously without much thought at all. It allowed for proper conversations, or unguided wanderings while lost in thought.

"Manor Zamt'ris is build around two great hallways, that intersect like a 'T' on both levels. As long as you can find either of these hallways, where you want to go should be pretty straightforward, with little divination. Presently, we are on the first floor of the east wing. Our guest suites. Also on this floor of the wing are a series of conference rooms, and a small smoking room. If you use a pipe, which I suspect you don't, the smoking room is well stocked with various tobaccos. The second floor is where my, and my siblings bedrooms are. Located on the west wing is a bathing quarters and Launder. This being an older Manor, we don't have baths for each individual room. I will tell you more about them when we stop by later in the tour."

"Lastly" Amaya added, "On the center hallway, is the dining hall, the kitchen, and the ballroom. Any questions?" She asked keeping the gentle pace for the west wing.

Zero

"Thank you, I take that as a compliment." Dimitri smiled, taking a place beside Amaya as she began a very leisurely pace down the hall. It was a nice speed, he could very easily sip his coffee while listening to her explain the layout and location of the key locations within the manor. The delivery of the information was rather like a lecture, he mused as his eyes moved over each doorway or decoration they passed.

After the staggering familiarity some of the other girls had tried to employ in his company it was actually slightly strange in the company of a lady so very impersonal towards him. Amaya was obviously doing her best to be a good hostess, but he wasn't sure he was trying to convince him to choose her for a wife. Her father would want all his daughters trying to win him over, four young women would increase the odds that at least one of them would catch his interest, but it could be that she honestly didn't want to be picked. That was something to think on.

"Yes, what of the outdoor facilities? Do you have many gardens? What about stables?" Sometime after breakfast he would have to see about having a long stroll on the grounds. The fresh air was always invigorating, promoting clearer thinking.

Zane

"Well" Amaya screwed her eyes up thoughfully, "Behind the house is an area my brothers refer to as the proving ground. It's where they hone their particular set of skills. We do have a stable, but it is a bit removed from the house, it was built before the forest that used to surround the house was cleared out. So it's located in what was another clearing, now it is just a slightly inconvenient walk. Takes about fifteen minutes to walk there, though I believe Altira has the walk in under seven. She loves riding and is quite good at it."

"There are two gardens on either side of the house, my father will normally host a soiree in one or the other during the summer months, if the weather permits." She left out the third garden, that could only be accessed from within the house. That was her garden, it was a private place for her, a refuge.

As they approached the west wing, the smell of hot water filled the air. "Now, our wash rooms are a bit queer. If you so desire, I can show you how to call for water." She said with a slight blush, "Or, one of the servants can demonstrate it to you, or you can try to figure it out on your own. Though, most guests need to be shown." That was a bit of a lie, all guests in the past had needed to be shown. But she wouldn't dare insult his intelligence by implying there was no way Lord Dimitri couldn't figure it out on his own.

Zero

Dimitri took in all the information while sipping his coffee thoughtfully. It might be worth visiting each of those places. At these so-called proving grounds he could undoubtedly see some of Amaya's brothers training, and it would be very enlightening to observe them each in their practice. For the stables, well he wasn't an excellent rider, but his skills weren't horrible, and it would be a good way to spend time with Altira if riding was a passion of hers. He still would have to find good activities to do with Bellamy and Juniper, even if he knew that neither was going to be chosen.

The gardens he would like to see for himself. He loved gardens, mostly because his mother had loved them. Up until rising to High Lord and moving to Rillaria Dimitri had tended his mother's garden personally, and still wished that he could do so. However the groundskeeper was a trustworthy man and knew just how his mother had liked her garden.

Pulling his mind back to the present he tilted his head at the blush on Amaya's face as she offered to show him how to call for water in their wash rooms. "If you would rather a servant demonstrate when I am in need of the knowledge, that is fine, Lady Amaya, there is no need for you to show me yourself."

Zane

Amaya nodded in thanks, "This house is vastly different than others I have seen. It really does nothing to curb the rumors towards the persistence of Zamt'ris Ancestry." She was speaking on the fact that, for many decades, the heads of the House Zamt'ris were quite proud and extremely vocal as to their fae bloodlines, tracing back to the Winter Courts of Fae. For a time, over a century ago, there was a cult dedicated to the worship of the Zamt'ris Family, focusing on those who possessed the unique trait that was rampant throughout the Family's bloodline. That same cult has been squashed and disbanded by it's own vengeful idol.

"On the floor above is where Laundry is done, but you need not worry about it. Should you need something cleaned, simply alert the staff. It will be cleaned and returned to you in a matter of hours. Usually less than three." The lady screwed her eyes up thoughtfully, doubling over all she had said in order to make sure there was nothing else that he needed to know about this end of the house.  Nodding, she began to lead him off again, back the way they came.

This time, she turned down the longer of the Grand Hallways and again into the ballroom. Tall windows streamed in light all across the room and cut through the air like curtains. Walking a few paces ahead of Dimitri, she turned sharply on her heels, causing the ends of her gown and hair to twirl around her, both catching the light as they cross the sunbeams. "Now you know of all the rooms throughout the house, and been in all the important one." Amaya said with a soft smile, a friendly smile. "Would you like to cut through the garden and head to the back of the house? Likely you could see Micheal, Martin, and David finish the first of their training sessions for the day."

Zero

Everyone knew that the Zamt'ris family bloodlines had always held considerable fae influence. Many of the oldest families had some form of fae far back in their family line, including the Orlov family. However his family had diverged from the fae ancestry many, many generations ago and rarely spoke of it. Only the prominent lilac hair and eyes spoke of their non-human predecessors. Moonspear was a province devoted to Fyarion, but the rural areas still leaned towards fae worship - an unsavory blemish on the province as far as many were concerned. The Zamt'ris family's ties to those rural people was one reason Dimitri was even here.

"While such rumors can be problematic in certain contexts, in others they are a boon. After all, the extensive and rich history of your family is why this house was one of those choosen - that and the availability of four lovely unwed daughters of age." He flashed a smile at her over his coffee as he brought it up for a deep drink. The information on laundry didn't interest him greatly, but it was useful nonetheless. Lazar would ensure his things were clean and in order for him, including seeing that his laundry was cleaned and pressed.

They entered the ballroom, which was very grand - he wondered how magnificent it would be alive with a large party. The music, the dancing, ah - what a sight that would be. Amaya had been walking a few steps ahead of him, but she spun around to face him, and the way the light played across her white hair as it and her dress twirled with her movement...

Dimitri stopped dead in his tracks, lilac eyes widening slightly. She was still speaking, but for a moment he couldn't really hear the words. It was a strange sensation! Very few women could make Dimitri Orlov pause, let alone take his breath away. Despite his lack of sexual attraction, he could appreciate the beauty in a feminine form - and Amaya was...

"As lovely as the first spring rose." The words came out softly and unbidden. Coughing softly and covering his mouth with a hand to cover the gentle tint of color that arose in his cheeks at the slip. He certainly hadn't meant to say that! It was true, but he hadn't meant to say it. "Yes, I think a short walk through the gardens and around to see your brothers at their training is a fine idea."

Zane

The young lady's face briefly flashed with shock at his statement before returning to the knowingly amused look that Amaya had learned from her mother. Lord Orlov's statement caught her off guard. To say she had been expecting such a statement would be words like clear glass, that is to say; easily seen through.

Amaya give a quick curtsy before turning again with an easy grace, her mask already back in place. "If you'll follow me, Lord Orlov." She lead him across the ballroom to a set of large oaken doors, forcing them open with ease. They opened into the garden. And quite the garden it were. Or would be, if not for the fact that most every plant were prepping to sleep away the approaching winter. It was quite simple to see the mesh dome of wooden bars covering the wide expanse of the garden. During spring and summer, it would be a ballroom of ivy and grape vines. A sight to behold, in mid summer.

"I pray you'll excuse the sight, during the summer the dome is overgrown with ivy and grapes. The master farmers must have already cleared it away before the vines die. If you want to see something remarkable, come back during the summer, This place comes alive." Like the Fae courts of old and worn faerie stories. She left that last bit off. It was improper to brag on Fae heritage. And the Zamt'ris name has quite a bit of it.