Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Amidst the Winter [Zane]

Started by Zero, May 12, 2015, 06:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"It would please me immensely to see such a contest." Dimitri hummed with a twinkle in his lilac eyes as he cast a glance over his shoulder to see the expressions of his two guards. They seemed to look at each other for a moment, communicated without words before one nodded to him subtly. It seemed he had his volunteer rider.

A good race was fine itself, but a one-on-one competition between one of his guards and one of the ladies he was supposed to be courting? Far more exciting a proposition. No doubt it would be something to witness and talk about later - he wondered what the other Zamt'ris family members would think of his encouraging such behavior.

Zane

The stables were simply stunning. Carved stone foundation and dark wood for the walls, large enough to cater to an impressive host of horses. The High Lord's own horses and those of his men were also comfortably taken care of within the stable. Altira excused herself to change into her riding leathers. With her sister not in the immediate area, Juniper seemed to clam up just a bit. "One of the staples of the Zamt'ris fief is how many soldiers we can put to field. One hundred score men serve under our banner, loyal to us and you, M'lord. And our horses are some of the best in Moonspear."

It wasn't long before Altira returned riding a coloured cob, long mane well maintained. "Your Grace! Allow me the pleasure of introducing you to Rapscallion. My own horse." Her hair tied back, Altira wore form fitting leathers excellent for riding, they accented her form with a natural grace.

Zero

Dimitri was duly impressed as they entered the stables. They were even finer than the ones at the capitol. Out of all the houses he had visited on this farce of a tour, the Zamt'ris certainly held the most opulence. Each house had been chosen for a reason, but wealth hadn't been the reason to include this stop, at least not by itself. Marrying one of the four girls presented to him here would give useful influence with those backwater fae worshipers that still lingered throughout rural Moonspear.

"Yes, this is most impressive, Lady Juniper. I have not seen finer accommodations for our horses in my travels thus far." Well it was certainly true, but he gave an easy smile for the obviously still quite nervous young lady at his side. She did seem a sweet thing, but it was good that he'd already ruled her out.

His guard had moved to ready his horse as soon as Altira had disappeared, but now returned leading a tall, sleek black gelding just as the lady also appeared riding the cob stallion. Dimitri smiled at his potential bride, lilac eyes moving over the animal beneath her. "What a fine animal, Lady Altira, and well-named. I am anticipating you giving my man quite a challenge."

The guard snorted at the horse the little girl had brought out. It was not as tall or lean as his gelding. He quickly mounted up. "I am not going to go easy on you, my lady. Hope that pony can do more than canter."

This drew a short laugh from both guards until Dimitri fixed them with a stern, disapproving frown. "That's enough of that. Shall we head outside?"

Zane

If looks could kill, Rapscallion would be clapped in irons. Anyone watching the horse would see very intelligent eyes glaring at the guardsman who had the audacity to call him a pony. This was personal. He was going to choke on that sentence.

"I'm glad, I'd take it as a great offense if you were to do anything but your best, sir knight." She seemed undaunted by the jeer as her hand went to Rapscallion's neck, he had begun stamping the ground, he was ready to race. "There's a kilometer track out the back of the stable, we use it to find desirable traits in our herds for breeding, shall we?" she started to lead the way back through the stables, the eyes of many horses following them, many of whom were cobs as well, barrel chested with intelligent eyes.

Zero

"Yes, let's see this track of yours." Dimitri said softly, casting a warning glance back at his guards. He didn't expect the man to let her win, but he was not pleased with the way the men had spoken to a potential future wife.

Not that he really thought Altira would be right for him.

They followed her out, with the High Lord walking closer to the young lady and her cob stallion, while his men followed leading the leggy gelding. Juniper was still on his arm, and he tried to cast her a pleasant smile. He definitely wasn't marrying her, but she could be his future sister-in-law. Best to be as friendly to the whole family as possible.

Zane

To say that Altira and Rapscallion had beaten the knight and his steed, was perhaps a bit of an understatement. Her horse had thrashed his. Taking the lead early in the first turn and gaining so much distance on the knight in the straightaway. It was a good seven second lead by time Altira crossed the finish line- and while she'd go on to swear that she hadn't actually pushed her horse that hard, it was clear that at least one of the duo wanted to make the knight choke on his sentence.

But Altira isn't without without her graces, she rode over to the knight and dipped her head graciously, "How noble of you sir knight, to hold back in order to make your lord's potential betrothed look better. If it were just the two of us without an audiance- I'm certain it would have been anyone's race." and while both her and the knight new it not to be true, she was graciously giving him a way to save face. She just hoped he took it.

Zero

Dimitri's lips twitched slightly in an amused smirk at Altira as she tried to claim the guard had let her win the race. He knew his men well enough to know the man on the black horse would have swallowed his tongue before letting a woman beat him at anything. Indeed, the man looked ready to chew nails as he pursed his lips at the young lady. For a moment he actually worried there might be an embarrassing scene caused by the guard's indignation, but he finally bowed his head politely to Altira.

"I would not embarrass the lady in front of a potential suitor, especially not the High Lord. If you'll excuse me, I will take my horse back to the stables." The guard bowed to Dimitri before turning his mount and trotting away.

The High Lord turned to Altira with a smile. "What excellent form you have, and your stallion is most impressive when you let him loose to run."