Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Pay the Price [Zane]

Started by Zero, July 16, 2015, 12:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

It would be easy to simply do nothing about the criminal with the glossy eyes. Serrah pointedly didn't look at the five bound men lined up on her porch. Instead the young woman frowned softly as Jaddix turned away to leave, a look of worry crossing her features. Not only for the heroic stranger, but her father and brother were also still out in the nasty weather. When he turned to her again to declare that he would be back, she nodded. "Be careful and hurry."

Instead of going back inside she stayed on the porch, watching worriedly even after Jaddix had disappeared out of sight. Only a few minutes after he was gone two figures emerged from the treeline. One was her father, the other their mule. While they disappeared to the barn a young man came running down the road, getting quite thoroughly soaking in the process.

Wilhem and Lawrence Cuchulainn managed to arrive on the porch relatively at the same time. Her father's face was dark and troubled. "Want to tell me why there are five horses in the barn and an equal number of beaten pond scum tied up on my front porch?"

Serrah squirmed slightly, face dropping as the two men stared at her. It took a few minutes for her to spill out the entire story, very uncomfortably. Both her father and brother hugged her fiercely, eyes glaring at the men that had tried to hurt their family so perversely. Serrah managed to untangle herself, chastising them both for getting her all wet and sending them inside to change and dry off for supper.

The young healer was the only one on the porch when Jaddix returned. She moved to the very edge of the porch, a little of the rain splashing down on her. "You're soaked. Let's get you dry and fed. Tanner and Emelie are dying for you to tell them stories but I told them they had to let you eat in peace first."

Zane

Jaddix stepped onto the porch and cast aside the shirt he had been using as to keep his bandaging from becoming too soaked, and so his joy, the shirt had been mostly successful. "You said there was stew being made?" He asked as he unslung his pack and pulled out a bolt of cloth from it, "Been a good long time since I have had a nice stew, I thank you." He used the cloth to mop some of the water from his face and hair before casting his eyes back over to Serrah, "Unless you have some place you'd prefer me to change, I'll get myself presentable out here, Out of the light of course, to prevent any accidental glances."

Zero

"Well hopefully your first stew after so long will be good, might want to taste it before thanking me." Serrah said with a nervous chuckle as she watched Jaddix dry his face and hair a little. Of course what he said next had her blushing slightly as she realized he needed to change into dry clothes. "Oh! Yes, well you can do that out here, or you can use one of the bedrooms inside if you like. No one will be glancing!"

She cleared her throat and turned around to disappear into the house, leaving Jaddix to change where he was or come inside - whichever he wished to do. The cabin was not large, two bedrooms were along one wall. Her father and two brothers shared the larger of the two rooms, while she and her sister took the smaller one. Everyone was at the table right now. There were six places set, with steaming bowls of stew placed in front of each chair. Only Serrah and Jaddix weren't eating yet.

Two loaves of bread were sliced, with everyone helping themselves, buttering their bread and dipping it into the rich broth in their bowls. The stew was thick and hearty, slices of carrots, celery, and onions mixed in with chunks of tomato, potatoes, and venison. There were also herbs and spices to add extra flavor to the meal. It wasn't a fancy meal, but it was certainly a good one.

Zane

It didn't take Jaddix long at all to get changed, he laid his wet clothes flat and donned some dry ones. He realized that the pants he changed into were his old rigging pants. It hadn't really mattered much before, but now he could see that they were very much becoming thread bare, he would need to do something about that before too long. He also tied a bandanna around the bandage on his arm. It was almost stylish, but the main purpose was keep the bandaging from becoming dirty. His only other delay was to make sure that the five on the porch were all still tied up, which they were.

Stepping inside, he smiled at the smell of warm food. Taking the empty seat, he remembered something Captain Reshi reminded everyone of whenever they made to port. Be humble and courteous. Well, what he actually said was, A whore will spread to the sound of gold, but a lady will spread to kind words and a manner controlled, which was basically the same thing, but far more wordy. And not at all appropriate for the present company.

"Thank you for having me, I hope I am not putting anyone out to much." He began to dig in, pausing a few bite in to add, "It's very good miss, a fine stew, to be sure." And beyond that, he wasn't forthcoming with his words.

Zero

When Jaddix entered the cabin there was a very small pause by everyone as all eyes turned to him. A quick clearing of Lawrence Cuchulainn's throat had the three younger children going back to eating, though the youngest two would still sneak furtive glances at their hero. Serrah had glanced up, but the young woman had quickly returned her eyes to her bowl.

"You aren't putting anyone out." Lawrence said as he dipped more of his bread. He was still looking at Jaddix curiously. After what his children had told him, he wouldn't have let the young man leave out in a storm. Certainly not without feeding him.

Serrah blushed as her stew was complimented, but she didn't look up as she nodded her head in as graceful an acceptance of the praise as she could muster. She still felt quite out of sorts and decidedly very ungraceful. In front of the mysterious young ex-sailor she thought she might even go so far as to say she felt awkward.

Aside from Tanner and Emelie exchanging a few excited whispers, everyone else remained mostly quiet as they finished their supper. When the meal was drawing to a close the family patriarch was the one to break the lull in conversation. "So Jaddix, was it? My children tell me you used to be with the navy. I don't know what brought you through here, but I thank the gods for it. Even more than them, I thank you."

Zane

"You honor me, sir. Any man with the know how would have done the same." Jaddix used the last of his of his bread to soak up the last of rich broth. He was one of the last to start eating, so naturally he was one of the last to be finished eating as well. "I was in the Navy, yes. Spent a little over five years at sea before being released of my duties, in honorable fashion. I decided to see what else there was, and I found myself here, and lucky for that too."

What Jaddix had said was mostly true, he was at one time in the Navy, yes. And Yes, her was honorably discharged from service. But it was from the service of a pirate ship that he had joined after less than three months with the Archeon. He considered his time aboard the Divine Right among the best years he had lived to date. But he was not going to just up an embellish his life as a Pirate like that. Piracy was a Gallow Crime, after all.

Zero

Lawrence nodded his head politely, listening to what this young stranger had to say. Of course he didn't point out that he didn't agree with Jaddix's assessment that just anyone with the ability would have stopped to help his daughter. Instead he focused on the second subject.

"You're a young man to be discharged, honorably or not. You say that you wished to see what else was out there, but do you have any plans going forward? Aside from being a seaman, what skills do you have? This is a very quiet area, but if you have a trade then there very may well be an opportunity for you here. Provided you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere."  He had some ideas of his own. Lawrence had known for a long time that his family was not exactly safe here, not with the bandits harassing everyone. Perhaps he was selfish, but he liked the idea of Jaddix staying nearby.

Zane

What Lawrence said gave the ex-pirate pause for thought. He had been planning on on seeing how far he got before his money ran low. Expertly hidden on his person were two gold marks. The change in his purse was the remains of a third that he had been living off of since he was cut from Reshi's Crew. That was three months ago. 

"Before being conscripted, I spent a year and some weeks as a carpenter's apprentice. I may not have been able to finish my apprenticeship, but I can still recall a fair bit of woodcraft. Beyond that, I know reading and writing, some basic arithmetic. But not much else to speak of, unless you have some rigging that needs tending." For some reason, Jad felt it was best to be honest about his skills. Perhaps it was because the man had a voice similar to that of the Boatswain.

Zero

Lawrence seemed to take a minute to mull over what Jaddix told him, before slowly answering. "There is always a demand for carpentry. Fences, houses, barns...all have to be maintained and new ones need built from time to time. Any hard worker can find a place for himself in these parts, though. My son Wilhem works for the blacksmith in town as an apprentice."

The boy in question, almost a man really, squirmed slightly under the scrutiny. Working in town took him far from home for the entire day. He hadn't been here to help protect his younger siblings. His father smiled at him, looking rather proud, rather than upset. Blacksmith was a fine trade to learn, and his son would make an honest living with such work.

"I'm just a hunter, the meat feeds my family and the furs and leather can be bartered for other things we need, or sold outright. We don't make a lot of coin, but I could use another pair of capable hands here. Firewood still needs split and stacked to season for the winter, I think there's a draft in the barn that needs patching, and I'm sure Serrah can think of a dozen other small tasks that need doing around here."

Lawrence looked at his children for a moment. "We don't have money to pay, but you will have a place under this roof and won't go hungry. Although if you help with the leathers and furs I will give you a cut of any profits."

Zane

Jaddix didn't have to be told why he was being offered a place to stay, he could hear it in the man's pauses. This wasn't the first time men like that had visited the farm, though, given the way Serrah reacted, this was likely the first time they had been so handsy. And the offer sure as hell beat out wandering aimlessly until he ran out of money. He grabbed up his bowl and held it up, "If the food is always this good, I don't see how I can refuse."

Zero

Lawrence tried not to show how relieved he was when Jaddix agreed to stay, at least for the time being. He'd help him find work both on the tiny farm and in town if he could. Anything to keep the young soldier in the area to give his family whatever extra protection that could be afforded.

Tanner and Emelie burst out immediately in excited whispers with each other. Obviously thrilled that their new hero was going to be staying with them.

Serrah had been watching both Jaddix and her father subtly, but looked up at Jaddix with a blush before looking back down a the table and spoke softly. "I can't promise it will be anything special, but there will be enough to keep everyone full of a night."

Zane

Jad smiled and nodded, not really sure what to do or say now. Yes, he'd agreed to stay with them, but this was still their house. Ever place had different end of day customs. That was when the door to the small home burst open, standing in the doorway was the glossy eyed thug from earlier- but he was no longer glossy eyed, they were bloodshot as he held an Alleypiece. Where the fuck had he gotten an alleypiece "DIE BITCH!" He screeched with venomous hatred, taking aim at Serrah with the small, deadly crossbow.

Jaddix, for his part, was a blur of motion. Before the man had ever issued his death curse, the ex-pirate had loosed one of his saxe knifes- sending it flying across the room as he planted a hand on the table and vaulted over it. The knife sunk blade first into the thugs chest, starting to cringe inward as his hand squeezed the firing mechanism, the bolt whizzing over her head and embedding itself in the wall as Jad full-body tacked the man out of the doorway, off the porch, and into the mud. Lightning flashed- Illuminating Jaddix as he raised his handaxe, engulfed in darkness before he brought it back down.

Thunder sounded afterwards, low and rumbling, a final cannon to the thug's life, and a sounding of the resolve that sprouted from Jad in this instant. As long as people like this crazed, rapist, attempted murder piece of filth persisted in the area, so would he.

Wiping off his axe, and cleaning his knife, he stepped back onto the porch, glaring death at the other four men tied to the porch- none of whom would meet his gaze, satisfied, he stepped back into the doorway. "It's safe now. He won't try to hurt you ever again. The little ones should stay inside for now- and come morning though."

Zero

Every other person at the table jumped as the door banged open suddenly and everything that happened after that seemed to take place in the length of a single breath. Tanner grabbed Emelie and both children ducked under the table while Lawrence and Wilhem jumped up with a shout. Neither of them was as fast as Jaddix.

Only Serrah seemed too frozen to move, her eyes grew wide as the crossbow was pointed at her. She could hear her heartbeat thundering in her ears in that moment, and then the man was flying back out the door with their guest on top of him. The young healer let out a scream as the bolt streaked just over her head, she dropped her head to the table and covered it with her arms, despite the action coming far too late to have done any good.

And just like that, it was all over.

"Oh gods, Serrah." Lawrence rushed to his eldest daughter's side, putting an arm around her gently and lifting her head with the other, running his hand over her hair. He knew that the bolt had missed, of course, but checking her for injury was just instinctual. "Are you okay sweetheart?"

Serrah immediately turned and clung to her father, trembling and sobbing softly as he pulled her into a tight hug. He looked to Jaddix in the doorway as Wilhem tried to peek around him to see the body lying in the mud.

"Thank you again, if you hadn't been here..." He couldn't continue the sentence, but the gratitude and relief was obvious. The young ex-sailor had saved his family twice in one day.

Zane

Jad didn't respond to Lawrence's comment, instead he turned to close the door, and failing to recognize a lock, he pulled out his knives and wedged one into the top of the door frame, one into the floor board. He also probably wouldn't sleep that night. He never slept well after taking a life. Self defense or not. Walking back over to the table, his eyes looked up to spot the crossbow quarrel stuck firmly into the wall, he didn't notice that he fists were clenched so tight that his knuckles were white. Looking over the table, he saw that his vault over the table had knocked over the soup pan, spilling the little remains.

"Is anyone hurt?" He asked quietly, stooping down to pick up the pan

Zero

The whole family seemed slightly paralyzed. It was no wonder, really. They were simple farmers; nothing this dangerous usually came to their little corner of the world. Sure, they weren't strangers to the bandits' bullying, but this level of violence and depravity was definitely new to them. Each of them was in shock at coming so close to tragedy.

"No, everyone's okay." Lawrence said quietly, standing up again, despite his daughter still clinging to him gently. Watching Jaddix stoop to pick up the pan seemed to set the family moving again. Serrah tried to jump up to clean the small spill, but her father gently pushed her back down in her chair. Wilhem grabbed a rag and started cleaning up while Lawrence moved to where the bolt was embedded in the wall. He couldn't leave it there, of course, every time he looked at it he'd be reminded how he could have lost one of his children to those savages.

Tanner and Emelie slowly crawled out from under the table where they were hiding, looking wide-eyed at the door, where the knives were wedged to keep it from opening again.

"Are the bad men outside going to come in?" Emelie asked in a hushed whisper as she crawled into Serrah's lap.

"No, no honey. They're all tied up outside, no more are coming in here." She assured her little sister, stroking her hair soothingly as she hugged her protectively against her chest, tucking the small girl's head under her chin.