Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A black and white Tail (Ethereal-Star) Niahi Woods

Started by SilmeriaElemred, July 27, 2015, 01:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilmeriaElemred

A soft warm breeze blew gently over the trees. It was Autumn and some trees had already started to color to gold or red. The sunlight that reached the soil seemed to dance as the wind made the leaves dance.

At the ruins of a forgotten overgrown castle, a stream gently flowed. Some leftover rocks indicating it once in older times, it had been a hand made canal when this castle stood proudly. And men in shining armor and fine dressed ladies walked here.

The ruins, were as good as empty now. Not even an echo of the glory it once had lingered. Only crumbled stone walls. Half collapsed towers. Stray rocks in the forest and the stream partially guided by the canal. Moss and vines growing over the rocks and between every opening it could find.

In the beams of sunlight that lit the overgrown ruins warmly, there was a woman with black hair and silver eyes. She had tattoos on her leg and lower abdomen, and a wellcurved body. Hidden under actually nothing. The woman was naked and was sitting on the edge of the the canal. Her black silver colored clothes neatly folded next to her. She only had a piece of jewelery on her head and black feathers sticking out of her hair. It was a force of habit. Only when she was alone in the room of a tavern she would take the thing off. Human form or not, where her horn was, always seemed to be a darker spot.

Ethereal-Star

In another part of the peaceful woods, a unicorn sat on his large white haunches, just idly enjoying the calm present everywhere. The sun shone a bright yellow hue on everything its rays touched, and a result it was very warm too. He knelt by a small stream, dipped his head in and began to drink as by the heavens was he thirsty! The water tasted pure and sweet, a magical stream it was and he instantly felt more refreshed and full of joy, as though everything was as it should be and nothing could ever go wrong ever again.

Shaking his light blue mane in the air, water droplets swinging this way and that, Chestnut decided to follow the stream and see where it led. Who knows, he might find something interesting. And so off he went, humming a soft tune under his breath, a song about light, fluffy clouds and unicorns frolicking in fields of green under rainbow-filled skies. He stopped abruptly when up ahead, he saw a fair maiden bathing in the same stream he was following. But this was no ordinary maiden, no, for Chestnut sensed she was more like him. A unicorn shapeshifted into a human form perhaps? Only one way to find out.

Trotting merrily over to where the black-haired woman sat, her clothes sitting by her, he had an idea form in his mind. A purely harmless idea, mind you. Bending down quickly, he picked up her clothes in his mouth and trotted away just as fast, neighing and snorting in amusement as his eyes twinkled in merriment. "Hey fair lady, these here your clothes?"

Tossing them up in the air playfully, he caught them again in his mouth, teeth gripping the soft fabric of them as he continued to dance around, just out of reach, so the maiden would have to walk a ways to try to get her garments back. That is, if she could catch him. His suspicions about her also being a unicorn told him that she could just simply shift back into her natural form and go after him that way. But it would be fun, no matter how she tried to do it.

"Come and get 'em!"

SilmeriaElemred

Sicillica looked up. It had been a long time since she had seen one of her kin. Her own herd to be more exact and got on her feet quickly reaching out in an attempt to reclaim her clothes.

''So you disturb a woman during bathing, and you want her to chase you naked?'' she asked and morphed into her true form. ''That is not really gentleman like now is it. Fortunatly I often walk around like this but I'd rather have those back. If you tear them you are responsible for new ones'' never would she set foot near humans, elves, or their settlements in the way she was now. They gave to much drama.

''Fine... I'll play your game.'' she was not really into this but perhaps for a very short while it could be fun. She just hoped this stranger knew when enough was enough.

Ethereal-Star

Not at all surprised when the woman transformed into a black unicorn, Chestnut continued to trot just out of reach while dangling her clothes in his mouth. Neighing and tossing his head up again, he ran around to continue this little game of his.

"Never fear, the lady's clothes are in good hands, er, I should say good teeth." he snickered at this, and continued to prance around. "And I'll have you know I am a perfect gentlemanly unicorn!" Saying all this through clenched teeth as he was trying to both talk and hold the clothes in his chompers at the same time, which was not exactly the easiest thing to do.

SilmeriaElemred

''oh come on...'' Sicillica muttered. Rather then hopping around she was more of the running type. She wanted those clothes back, having spent many hours of labor to actually purchase those. ''or is this punishment for bathing in a form unnatural for me...'' when it became easy to predict his moves though she managed to get in front of him and gently took the clothes between her teeth.

Ethereal-Star

And Chestnut let her take the clothes back without a fuss. "You win, fair and square!" he chuckled and snorted. "Say, wasn't that fun, I thought so." Continuing to grin at the other unicorn.

Just then an acorn fell down from a tree right above them, and it plopped Chestnut right in the nose! "Owww!" Looking at the ground, he saw what it was. "If I was a squirrel, I'd eat that."

"The name's Chestnut Sparkle Mister, at your service," he said, bowing as much as a unicorn could bow. "But you can call me Chestnut, all my friends do." Another acorn dropped on his head and he snorted at that. "But perhaps we'd better finish introductions away from attacking acorns." he commented wryly.

SilmeriaElemred

''The ruins have ceilings, it is safe to walk around. I've walked around here for already a few days.'' Sicillica said. ''My name is Sicillica. Not sure if I should say pleasure to meet you, since the first thing you did was steal my clothes...'' she morphed back to human form after a simular bow and got herself dressed. From beside the canal she picked up her socks and shoes as well. She did chuckle when the acords dropped on him.

She returned to her unicorn form for the moment when she was down though and laid down in a patch of moss. ''So. Chestnut, where did you get the nickname sparkle mister from I wonder?'' she asked as she looked to his direction and gestured to go where she was.

Ethereal-Star

"Oh c'mon, you need to lighten up a little. I'll have you know I fully intended on giving those back." He grinned at her, before laying down in the mossy patch next to her.

"As for my name....isn't it obvious? I sparkle like the stars!" As if to emphasize that point, he shifted a little in the grass so that a patch of sunlight shone directly on him, making his sparkly nature that much more evident.

Rolling over to face Sicillica, he bent his front legs underneath him to get into a more comfortable position. ''Two small children from several years ago gave me that nickname, and I thought it appropriate too so I kept it." He blew a wayward strand of blue hair out of his eyes, looking up into the sky for just a moment. "They were really great kids." he reminisced fondly.

Looking back at her, Chestnut was drawn to her black coloring and just as darkly-colored mane and horn. "You don't see too many black unicorns from where I'm from." he stated, thinking back to his heavenly home. "Oh sure, they exist, but the color isn't too common. At least not in my home plane." Blue eyes met silver ones for just a moment, before he commented further, "In my home, black is considered to be a lucky color, one of both exotic beauty and the very night itself. Is it the same where you're from?"

SilmeriaElemred

Sicillica snorted and laughed. ''Looks like I was born in the wrong  place then. My old herd and humans we grew up beside believed I symbolised misfortune, plague and death. They kicked me out and I've lived on my own since. Because we lived alongside  humans we learned how to morph into one I managed to survive somehow.'' she said while looking at him.

''Cute of those kids. From your side to considering you kept the name.''

Ethereal-Star

Chestnut's eyes widened in surprise. "Now that's just unfortunate. Being kicked out of your own home!" He shook his head at this revelation. Apparently not all unicorns had the same beliefs. Not too terribly surprising he supposed.

"In my home, white is considered to be the most common color, well body color that is. Manes and tails can vary. Blue is the next common color, with black being a rarity. There are a few other colors, but they are extremely rare, even more so than black. Horns are usually either white or silver, but not always."

Chestnut breathed in a breath of fresh air before he continued. "I however, decided to leave my home of my own free will. The mortal world is a fascinating place after all. These woods and a recently built nearby village are pretty much where I stay nowadays."

At the mention of the children, he smiled. "Ah yes. They were a boy and girl named Jack and Jill. They lived in a small cottage with their parents on top of a small hill, near the town well. They always found me to be so fascinating." He chuckled at the memory. "Unicorns were apparently very rare in those parts, so most of the people there viewed me with awe and wonder. I can't say I blame them." he snorted gaily, snickering a bit. "I do make a most spectacular sight!"

SilmeriaElemred

''I suppose so.'' Sicillica said. She did think briefly he was a bit full of himself despite everything sounded as if he was jestering. My old herd only had white coats, mane, tail and pearl white or opal white horns. And then, I was born. Daughter of the head stallion. Imagine the fuss it gave my mother. She got of the hook when some old weird tale popped up. An old legend that usually was meant to scare the children of they misbehaved.''

She cleared her throat. ''And when the moon does not light the sky. The stars cower in the shadows and darkness rules the very lands, the Black One appears. Born from those most pure. Taking away all the joy and happiness. Death and decay shall befall on those tempted by darkness and roam the world undead. Rotting away the crops and poison all the water they touch..'' she spoke an an overly exagerated voice. She sighed. It had saddened her a long time. Maybe somewhere it still did. But living on her own had its benefits.

Ethereal-Star

Chestnut snorted at this. "That is a little on the over-dramatic side of things." He paused a second. "And even if there is such a dark unicorn, you are not the one the tale speaks of. I can tell that much, despite the fact that we have only just met."

The unicorn thought back on some of his own kin's various legends and tales. One of them surfaced then at that moment, and he felt the need to share it.

"Once upon a time,
There existed a unicorn so pure of both heart and soul,
That she rivaled all others of her kind everywhere unicorns were found.
This unicorn was also the greatest beauty there ever was.
Coat, mane and tail of the purest silver, horn of the brightest white.
Clearly she had been blessed by all the forces of light and goodness,
And was destined to accomplish great deeds in this life and many lifetimes thereafter.
And for some time she was, a beacon of light in the dark when there was none,
A shoulder to cry on when all hope had been lost.
The greatest friend one could ever have,
Her compassion knew no bounds.
One fateful night, that all changed.
The unicorn, her name being Stardust, came upon a lost and weary soul,
One who had been lost to darkness and despair.
A darkness he could never escape from no matter how much he tried.
This man was a vile sort, seeking to destroy everything pure and good,
In order to fill the empty void in his soul.
Even to this day no one knows what had happened to him to make him so.
Stardust took instant pity on him and tried everything she could to help.
But it didn't work.
Even worse the man dragged her down with him into the choking darkness.
He set a trap for her one day, and ensnared her, then cut off her horn.
But not before he tortured her for many days and many nights.
When her horn was taken from her, she died instantly.
When others found out about Stardust's death by the hands of this evil and cruel man,
There was much sorrow and grieving.
Everyone knew that such a tragedy was a major loss to their kind,
For no one like Stardust had ever been born since then.
Legend has it that she is unable to reincarnate into a new body,
Drowned by whatever dark tortures the man had inflicted upon her heart, soul and body.
It is thought that she wanders the spirit mists out of the bounds of time itself,
Lost, alone and lacking the beauty and purity that she once possessed.
A terrifying wraith of a beast had taken her place,
And with it the sweetness and joy of Stardust was gone forever
In the minds and hearts of all those who knew her and called her friend.
A void which can never be refilled ever again,
For Stardust had been no ordinary unicorn.
The compassion which made her who she was
Became the very thing which took her life.
The man was never found and heard from ever again.
To this day, we all mourn the loss of Stardust, the greatest unicorn there ever was.
For there will never be another like her in all the ages of this world and beyond."

Chestnut was temporarily saddened by this recollection, also wondering why he didn't choose a less depressing tale to share. "That obviously isn't one of the happier stories." he remarked dryly.

SilmeriaElemred

Sicillica did not know this story but she did shed a few times. ''Darnit..'' she muttered and shook her head.

''Let me not find that man...'' she muttered. It were no words of hate or vengeance though.

She was thinking of something cheerful. Well. She had one but wether it was cheerful or not she was not sure.

''A woman once told me a story about some cats.
Not to long ago, in a witches lair, kittens were born.
Witch cats. All having black fur and green eyes. All, but one.
One had blue eyes and white paws.
But that remained unknown until the kittens put the first steps outside of the cave.
His siblings bullied him. Saying he would never be a witch's cat.
The kitten answered that he did not wanted to be a witch's cat, but a farmers cat. Drinking warm milk, killing mice and be petted until sleeping.
His siblings laughed which saddened the kitten. Only one, his sister Charcoal was nice to him.

As they grew older, the cats learned magic. But the one with the green eyes, was not as good as his siblings were. Even his mother started to cast him out more and more.
When the kittens were old enough, the witch put all of the kittens in a bag. They would be given to young witches whom would graduate from their apprenticehood. But nobody wanted to have the kitten with the blue eyes and white paws.

-"I suppose I need to bring you home with me again then.''- the witch said and flew back home on her broom.
The next morning, the witch and mothercat were gone. It frightened the kitten at first. What if they would never come back? Then a thought struck him; if they would not come back, he would not have to become a Witchcat either. He cleaned his fur and left.

As he walked beside the river, he realised how hungry he was. The fish that swam in the water looked yummy and he tried to catch one. Only to lose his balance and fell in the water. The river dragged him along the stream until two children used a branch to get him out. They did not know though, him being a witchescat allowed him to be able to swim.

The children praised him and asked where he came from. Of course, he did not reply. They called him stray and brought him with them to the farm they lived on.
Their mother dried him with a towel and gave him hot milk.

The children loved the few magic tricks he could. Like letting stars come from his whiskers or turn himself invisable. The farmer and his wife did not comment on it but did not dislike him for it either. Everything went well until a few days later in the darkness of the night, a leprecaun showed up.

He entered the house and turned everything upside down. Making it a mess. Writing on the floor he was a witchescat.

The next morning the farmer and his wife got downstairs and saw the mess and the writing. The man threatened to drown Stray but he quickly fled. Thinking that being a farmer's cat was perhaps not meant for him after all.

He tried a few more farms. All of them sending him away. He eventually reached the docks at the sea. He was hungry and saw something moving in the ropes. A mouse. He cought and ate it.
-''Well done''-  Stray heard a voice and saw a sailor.
-''There are a lot of mice on the ship. Would you like to be our shipcat?''- he asked.

Stray miauwed. Finally. Someone who was nice to him again. He followed the sailor on the ship.

After a few weeks, a storm reigned the seas and almost a wave swept Stray from the deck. He thought to himself, that maybe being a shipcat was not meant for him after all.

The next morning, it was still raining heavily. And then Stray realised something. Still in theory being a witches cat he could hear the chanting of one. 'I am the evil seawitch who says, the ship will end on the oceanfloor. Drown they drown they will. Do death with them all'

He had learned how to reverse witches spells ands he climbed up and up the ropes. He had to be close enough.

- ''Mistress! Mistress!'' he called out to the witch. My name is Stray. I am a witchescat. Please take me with you, I do not want to drown!''-  he called hoping it would lure the witch closer.

- ''You are a witches cat? How did you end up on board?''- the witch asked.

- They took me on board and I can't escape. And I am afraid to swim. The sea is so deep and the waves so strong!''-

- ''Very well I will get down.''-  the witch said. But when she was close, Stray spoke a spell causing the winds to take her far, far away. The storm laid down.

The sailors became quiet. They had heard him and knowing Stray was actually a witchescat made them fearfull of him despite knowing he had saved their lives.

A few days later the captain knelt down beside him and gently patted the cat. ''We all know you saved us but it is bad luck having a witchescat on board. You can not stay with us. We are almost back home. I will bring you to the docks.''

With a rowboat the captain brought Stray to the docks, thanked him once more and headed back. Stray did not look back. Afraid he was going to cry.

-''I need to find another home.''- he thought bravely and continued his search.

After a few weeks he was exhausted and fell asleep beside the road. But woke up when he felt someone picking him up and put him in a bag. When he was taken out, he realised he was in a witches home and saw Charcoal who shared her meal with him and showed him new magic tricks. When she asked what he could do, the witch snorted.
-''He? He can only turn invisable and conjure stars from his whiskers''-

-''So what''-  Stray said. -'' I do not want to be a kitchencat, I want to be a farmerscat''-

-''You ungratefull rat. Farmerscat? You do not deserve to be a witches cat.''-
The witch grabbed Stray and threw him in the kettle. Stray felt his magic slipping away and when he thought that it was over for him, his sister intervened. Throwing over the kettle and grabbed the broom of her owner. Pulled him on and flew off with him.

Stray thanked his sister who said not to mention it and together they jumped off the broom. Both landing in the river. Stray realised his sister could not swim anymore either. The contends of the kettle had taken away her powers too.

Both miauwed and when all hope seemed lost the two were taken from the water bu a few children. Stray regocnised them as the farmers children.
Their father was right behind them.
-''Look father the witchescat almost drowned and look he has a sister''-

- ''Witchescats do not drown, these are ordinairy cats''-  the man said.

-''Does that mean we can keep them?''-  the children asked to which the man nodded.

After being dried up and being fed warm milk, the two siblings crawled against one another, tired. ''You know, Stray? Being a farmers cat. I think am going to like it'' she whiserped. And the two fell asleep.''

This conluded the story. ''Sorry... it was a bit long wasn't it...'' Sicillica asked.

Ethereal-Star

Chestnut thought about the story Sicillica had just shared. "It is a very nice tale about friendship and belonging. Almost makes me want a cat companion." he chuckled, then looked to Sicillica again. "I have another story, this one much more cheerful with a more satisfactory ending. I'm sure you must have heard it before, as just about all unicorns have their own version of it to pass down to their children. This is my kin's particular version of the tale."

With that, he cleared his throat loudly, albeit a very exaggerated throat clearing it was, which just might make the other unicorn roll her eyes if she was so inclined. Chestnut did love to put on a show.

"Among the unicorn elders of old,
There once lived a great warrior unicorn named Divinity, whose horn was of the purest gold.
Divinity was brave and fearless, and had immense skill with not only divine magics,
But also the longsword as he could take on a human form.
His longsword was known as the legendary "Longsword of Kings'',
And Divinity wielded it like no other unicorn could.
One day a meeting was called for all able unicorn warriors to attend.
A great enemy had been sighted on the horizon, leading a massive army of black knights.
These knights were called the 'Black Death Warriors', their leader being the most powerful of them all.
Divinity himself led the unicorns who were to battle these black knights
And purge this evil from their lands.
And so a great battle was fought, one that shook the very foundations of heaven and earth itself.
Divinity, like all his warriors fought bravely and fiercely,
Managing to drive off or kill most of the invaders.
He himself took on the challenge of confronting their leader, the infamous 'Dread Dominator'.
Wielding both his longsword of kings and calling upon his divine magics,
He was able to slay this mighty foe, felling him where he stood.
However, Divinity suffered a fatal wound and would not survive for much longer.
He looked around the battlefield as he lay there during his last moments,
Many of his warriors dead or dying around him with many more of the enemy also dead,
And thought to himself, 'This is it. We've won, finally.'
As his life continued to slip away, he received a visit from the Goddess of Unicorns herself, Epona.
She appeared to him in all her glory, and said to him,
''Divinity, you have fought bravely and with great honor.
You have saved your brethren from many terrors untold.
And for that, you shall be exalted amongst the stars for your sacrifice for all time.
Go forth peacefully now, Divinity, Great Warrior of Unicorn Kind,
You shall ever be remembered from this day forward.''
And so as the warrior unicorn took his last breaths,
He passed on and indeed became ascended among the stars of the heavens.
The Constellation of Divinity shines to this very day,
A bright and welcoming sight for all our kin.
Sometimes, when the stars align, this constellation can be seen at its brightest,
Providing hope and determination to all unicorns everywhere.
Many unicorns would pray to the Constellation of Divinity
Whenever they needed a boost in matters of courage or warfare,
And they were emboldened by this act of reverence each time.
Divinity's legacy would live on in the stars,
A mighty paragon of unicorn kind he was.
To this day, the Constellation of Divinity shines ever brightly,
A reminder to all that evil can be bested,
And many lives saved,
And that strength lies in the heart of each unicorn everywhere.
Divinity watches over us all,
And with it, our kind shall always prevail with whatever is thrown at us.
Good shall triumph over evil, and all will be well.
Divinity, our savior, shall live on forevermore."

Finishing the tale, Chestnut grinned then. "A much happier story, yes? What version of it do you remember?" He stretched out his legs, all four of them at that moment, pastel blue hair draped over his back with tail splayed out behind him, looking very much like a unicorn rug then. It looked pretty silly.

SilmeriaElemred

Sicillica thought for a moment. ''I know a version he initially survived but traded his life by giving a breath of life to a girl who fell in the battle. It was the Godess in disguise and she blessed him by letting him ascend to the stars, having passed the test of nobility...'' she replied.

It had been a while since she heard the story. She looked at him and giggled. ''Be carefull. The ghosts from this castle might think you're a stuffed carpet''

Ethereal-Star

"Ah, never fear, good lady unicorn. If any ghosts try to bother us, I'll protect you from them. Chestnut Sparkle Mister is both a gentleman and a fierce opponent!" Saying all this as he flopped over on his back, legs sticking up, just chilling out and enjoying the nice day around them.

"Honest!" Chestnut stated in a sincere yet teasing tone, before sneezing as some of his hair got in the way of his nose. "Achoo!"

SilmeriaElemred

''No idea how you find rolloing over like that comfortable...'' Sicillica said and considered morphing for a moment. Something she in the end did not do; it was not often she could be like this, in the presence of someone else.''

She was way younger then Chestnut and it was clear by now she certainly had not experienced as much fun as he had. It did not mean she was not open for it though, she could laugh about his jestering.

''Bless you.'' she said after he sneezed and moved towards him very gently removing the manes from his nose by simply using her lips. ''better?'' she asked.

Ethereal-Star

"Much better now!" he quipped chirpily. "As for my position, it is quite comfortable, just have to watch for those pesky stray pebbles and that I don't sit right on top of an ant hill. Which I will tell you, don't ever do that, my rear end itched for days afterward!" Chestnut both chuckled and grimaced at the memory.

The male unicorn lay there for just a few moments longer, enjoying the sun and fresh air before he got up on all fours again. "Let's go explore those ruins, shall we?"

SilmeriaElemred

Sicillica laughed and stood up. She could totally imagine the events with the anthill and its inhabitants.

''We could, sure. I just hope they are stable enough... then again. Would they not be I suppose I could reinforce them.'' This time, she did morph. The ruins were not very big. Fitting two unicorns in would most likely be a bad idea. For both the pressure on what remained of this once glorious place andn ot being in one anothers way.

''So Chestnut. How old are you?'' Sicillica asked.

Ethereal-Star

"Oh, I'm anciiiiient, don'tcha know? Almost an elder, really." Actually Chestnut wasn't entirely sure just how old he was. He had kinda lost track after the Fall of Fell, if he was going to be honest with himself. The years since then had both trickled by and flew like the very wind itself.

"Actually, I don't really know. Age after all is nothing but a number, right?" The blue and white unicorn grinned at the black one, his eyes twinkling in a mischievous light.

"Say, I'll race ya to the ruins! Last one there is a rotten mushroom!" he called out behind him, already running to the broken-down fortress. He soon entered the dilapidated and crumbling castle ruins, blue mane and tail fast disappearing around a corner.

Tags: