Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Thorn among Roses

Started by WhiteAlbion, November 18, 2015, 07:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteAlbion

The sun wore on overhead, high above the village of La'Marri in the earliest part of Autumn. Life continued on in the forest village with everyone going about their own business. Towards the edge of the town lay a small hut formed from the elements of the forest. The construction was decent enough, sturdy but not the most aesthetically pleasing structure, but nothing when compared to some of the better made and much more pricey log cabins within the village. Hanging over the doorway there dangled a thick wooden placard bearing the vividly colored, though crudely painted, image of a potion vial with a verdant green liquid inside. The sign had only just been erected this morning on the front of the building that for the longest sat in disuse. A new business had come to the village perhaps? And with it the possibility of a newcomer to the village of La'Marri, the village in the forest.

thehiddenbeast13

Ah Le'ranna, it had been a lifetime since James had last visited this place. The demon in human's skin could only smile as he walked around with his bow and daggers at his side. He saw some nice homes that only made James want to settle down and live there. It seemed surprisingly calm and peaceful here, nothing overly exciting happening.

James continued to walk around with a simple smile as he viewed the nice cabins that once again made him want to settle down and relax. He walked towards the edge of the town to see a hut that was a bit uneasy on the eyes. James raised a eyebrow as he stepped forward and saw the crudely drawn picture of the potion vial with its green liquid. James shrugged as he stepped in and was instantly hit with a mass amount of intriguing scents from the large variety of ingredients that were scattered around the shop. Some even made Jame's mouth water. However. most people would not be able to experience such unique scents like James could. James finally stopped the deep sniffing and looked around for someone to assist him.

Kalak8538

The character:
http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/smf/index.php?topic=19851.0

An elderly man came slowly walking up the road, approaching La'marri from the east. As he walked, he admired the piney scent of the evergreen trees that surrounded him. Although the sun was high, the air was beginning to cool. That change in temperature, combined with the smell of these trees, gave off a feeling of peace and serenity.

At this time, the man wondered why he had not ventured this way more often. Perhaps because it was so out of the way? Unless one was specifically heading to La'marri, there really was no reason to come this way. This man was doing just that, and for that very reason. He sought out a quick break from the eastern kingdoms. There was simply too much turmoil everywhere for his liking. This peaceful town sat in the middle of the Niahi wood, and offered the perfect vacation spot. With so many mages around openly practicing their magic, no one who could sense the man's magic would be overly suspicious of him like they were elsewhere in Le'ranna.

As he came to the clearing, the elderly man looked to the town in the distance.
"It really has grown." he thought silently.
It must have been a few decades since he had stood in this same spot. Continuing on, he noticed a small, quaint hut that stood on its own amongst the evergreen trees. A sign hung there, depicting a vial containing green liquid. An apothecary, perhaps. He had no interest in potions or tonics, but perhaps there was something there the old man did desire.

As the old man started for the hut, the usual vision of a giant monster cat appeared before him. He paused, but was generally unfazed by the apparition.

"Come now, look at this pile of rubbish. Surely no one would miss it! How about it, eh? Just a small bonfire for old time's sake?"

The man simply scoffed. "Still as... belligerent... as ever, I see."

He seemed to be talking to no one, for the vision was only in his mind. He continued to the door, receiving scorn from his beastly vision.

"You make me SICK." it said before vanishing again.

The shop was small, there there seemed to be a lot available for purchase. There was only one other in the shop. A young man with hair white as snow. The old man approached him, speaking calmly and politely.

"Excuse me, my young sir. Would you happen to be the proprietor of this establishment?"

It was doubtful, since the man looked lost himself. Even if this was not his store, perhaps he knew the owner...

WhiteAlbion

A crash came from through the door behind the counter followed shortly by a yell, "Coming!" The source of the voice then came walking through the passageway, a short brown-haired girl in simple attire brushing the dust off of her clothing. She looked between the two men that had gathered there and smiled gleefully, "Two customers at once? And the first ones I've ever had here at that!" Stepping forward she placed her hands on the rather cluttered counter top before she began speaking again, "Excuse the mess, I just settled in here yesterday and I've got a lot of work that's still got to be done, but I'll gladly try to help you find whatever it is you're looking for. I've got all sorts of potions, even some herbs too if you're after something a bit simpler."

thehiddenbeast13

James continued his mindless browsing until he heard someone ask him a question. he turned around to see a old man was the body from which the voice came from. James only shrugged and shook his head,"Sorry, I'm quite unsure myself if the shopkeeper is even here." James then heard the crash along with the "Coming!" that came from the door behind the counter. James smiled as the shopkeeper introduced herself,"Name's James, the mess ain't that big of a deal." He then waved as he began to look at some of the herbs that were on display, catching all of their individual scents and smiling at certain ones.

Kalak8538

"Agreed..."

The man re-adjusted his opaque shades, before continuing on in his polite and proper tone.

"Such... mess... as it were, is completely understandable after just moving in. Would you, by chance, have anything less potent? Some tea perhaps?"

The old man gave a quick look around, surveying the inside of the hut, and all the items laying about. He held a fist to his mouth and cleared his throat.

"If not, perhaps just some tea leaves. I can boil them myself when I make it into town."

WhiteAlbion

"Tea? Huh, I think I've got some over there," she said as she pointed to a table to their right. A medium sized glass jar sat on the surface with some tea leaves visible inside of the closed container. There wasn't a label to indicate what type of leaf it was, though it looked rather plain. "I may have a couple more jars of some different kinds if you don't like that one. I couldn't label any of them but I've memorized which is which." She moved from behind the counter and towards the one who had introduced himself as James, asking, "Was there a certain herb you were looking for?"

thehiddenbeast13

James continued his browsing before the shopkeeper came over to ask if he needed help. James thought to himself for a moment before replying,"Maybe some herbs for small cuts and burns. Other than that, I think I'm just doing some browsing."

Kalak8538

"Seriously? TEA? I can't believe you... How can we POSSIBLY be the same?!" Buzzed the vicious voice.

The old man simply ignored it, picking up the jar in his palm before walking over to the counter. It seemed like normal tea leaves, which was more than alright for him.

"This should be fine. Thank you."

Tea was not his real concern. He put the jar on the counter, and continued on in his calm, friendly tone.

So, my dear... What exactly can you tell me about the nearby town? Forgive me, it has been far too long since I have been around these parts..."

Ethereal-Star

Walking through the woods of her home to get to where she was going, her animal companions alongside her, Gwilwilethneth smiled contentedly at all the trees and forest life around her. This was where she belonged. However, she was to make a small trip to the outer edges of the nearby mixed races settlement the locals there called 'La'marri'. One might wonder why the wood nymph was traveling there in the first place as most nymphs were content to stay in nature their entire lives.

The reason for her visit was simple. She was visiting a friend, a fellow nymph of the woods. Her name was Lavendria, and despite the fact the latter looked more human than fey mattered not to Gwil, for she was kin regardless. Even her garb was more human than nymph, but Gwilwilethneth like many of her kind, chose to wear natural garments formed out of the surrounding forests and woods themselves. Her current attire was that of entwined leaves of brown, light green and dark green, and only covering what was absolutely necessary.

As she neared the hut where her friend had told the forest messengers who then informed Gwil herself this was where she would find Lavendria, Gwil wondered and not for the first time, Lavendria's choice of lifestyle. Surely she would be more at peace directly among the trees, plants and animals like most nymphs were? Despite the fact that Gwilwilethneth was older than the other nymph didn't help matters any with her lack of understanding. If it weren't for visiting a friend, Gwil would choose not to stray so near a village of any kind if she could help it. She detested towns and cities after all. Little if any nature dwelled there, and it was incredibly stifling when she had gone near a couple in the past. Never again, she had told herself. But that was before she had met Lavendria. The other nymph was born in a different part of the forest than Gwil had been, so she did not grow up with her. And thus was unaware of the other's past.

Running a hand over the smooth bark of a nearby tree, the druid smiled in content at the life that she felt thrumming beneath its dark brown wood, and the spirit of it that dwelt within was currently slumbering. The wind whispered by, a sweet melody to her ears, singing to her a song of the forest. Of how seasons changed, yet the core of nature remained the same year after year, century after century. She had heard its song countless times before as well as many others the forest sang about. Talon and Twinkle, her wolf and butterfly companions respectively, gibbered among themselves and Gwilwilethneth let them, sometimes listening in and contributing a sentence or two of her own here and there.

The small hut came into view just then, and the wood nymph quickened her steps, her companions dutifully following after her as well. Noting the sign over the door with a green potion bottle painted on it, she pushed open the door and went inside, Talon and Twinkle following after her, the latter sitting on her left shoulder. Spotting Lavendria, she headed over to her, ignoring the other two people who were in the shop with her.

"Lavendria...." Gwilwilethneth greeted her friend with a hug. "It has been several seasons since I last saw you. How have you been?"