Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Things That Go Bump In The Night (Open)

Started by OneofaKindd, January 09, 2016, 01:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where shall this adventure lead?

A SURPRISINGLY deep cave.
0 (0%)
A graveyard, where not everything is dead.
0 (0%)
Oh, would you look at that one city. Yeah, that one, over there.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 15, 2016, 05:18:02 PM

lemon-hop

"Oh my lords-

She tore her attention from Raven's impressively disturbing performance to the screaming girl, who seemed to incapable of not being trouble. The sound was fraying her nerves and giving her a killer headache.

Slipping away from the two others, she surveyed the other set-ups, choosing at random.
Luckily, she found the rope of someone who hadn't bothered to put them away or use them when securing the canvas. They were hers now. Sorry, folks!

And noooow to deal with the woman. She slid to the tree, kneeling down with a grimace at the deafening racket.

"Miss." Her voice was soft, just testing to see if it'd do anything. If kicking and shouting didn't, maybe it was time to be a bit more gentle.

[[OOC: I don't mind a bit!]]

OneofaKindd

"Yes?! HELLO?! I feel like I know you, do I know you? I have a question. What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow? No? I have no idea either...

Wixi just could not stop talking. No matter what she did, she wasn't able to stop spewing out random nonsense. This happened sometimes. The chaos inside of her would grow and grow until it exploded, right out of her mouth. She rolled her eyes, sat up and held up a finger. This was going to get worse before it got better.

Especially if the vision she just had was true.

She pointed at her mouth, then using her magic, made a dark sphere in front of her hand. Then she pointed at that, then at her mouth, that was still talking.

"Do you want to hear a riddle? How is a raven like a writing desk? I have no idea, I was hoping you would know, know, known noun no ne NUE NAH NEO!!!!!!"

Ruby now had a throbbing headache.

"WILL YOU SHUT UP! WHAT ARE YOU POINTING AT! Hey, Raven, whatever. Do you have any idea what to do about this shapeshifter?

Arclightning

Oh my god. The girl that kicked his ass is completely nuts. Well, there goes the rest of my pride. Little enough left as it is, Raven thought. Then he turned to the woman, Ruby, apparently.

"Well Ruby, I have no clue what to do with her, but can you tell me what happened at your dads second wedding?" Raven smiled mischievously.

The smile was to hide him calculating how fast he could steal the demons memories, and how he could get away. But more importantly, what would the momories of a demon do to his mind? He knew more than most how fragile a human mind is. After all he had broken his own on multiple occasions.

Ravens favorite bout of insanity was when he took the memories of a dragon and spent a week running around flapping his arms to try and fly while spitting on people in his approximation of dragonfire.

He got better. Eventually. Sort of.

lemon-hop

Everleigh was speechless, not bothering to deal with the questions. Yeah, she'd be the one to chose the crazy girl.
That was fine.
Completely.

"Okay," she breathed, eyebrows raised. "Glowing ball of blackness. Nice."
Gently, she took the other girl's wrists, weaving the rope between them. Better to prevent the other girl from causing any more damage.
Plus it gave her an excuse to stay close, maybe prevent Raven from 'hurting her, and as many other people as possible.'

Whatever that meant.

Her fingers brought the ends together in a knot, only a second away from finishing the first bindings.

OneofaKindd

Ruby frowned.

"My dad never had a second wedding. What are you trying to pull here 'Memory Thief.' Ha. Memory thief indeed."

Wixi let the bindings be finished. They were only ropes, after all. She could get out of them at any time.

It was over. Wixi could talk normally again, even if she didn't show it. She kept gibbering on, just so that they wouldn't have any idea she was ok again. She could use this.

She spread her mind into this 'Memory Thief' to try and find out what was going on.

Wow, he really did steal her memories. But what does he want with me?

She searched farther into his mind.

Oh, of course. He wants my memories. Well then, let him try to take them. He'll soon find out what the inside of a Chaos Demon's head is like.

Arclightning

Well at least something went according to plan today. He smiled
"Oh really. Then who is Sasha?"

Raven felt an intrusion in his mind. The demon? Huh, figures she could read minds. Well, time to stop her before she digs much deeper. There are things there she doesn't need to see.

He dove into his own mind, creating a representation of his inner thoughts around him and the demon. He made his old hideout at the top of a bell tower, full of scattered junk and artifacts. And there was the demon.
"Well, hello there. I'm surprised to see you! But what are you doing? He said in a cheery voice akin to someone seeing an old friend in the market square.

OneofaKindd

Wixi blinked.

Well well, he can figure out if someone is in his mind.

"Oh, hello!", she said, mimicking his tone. "I was hoping to surprise you, with a nice little gift. You see, I am a Demon of Chaos. Considering you obviously don't know what that means, since you want to try and steal my memories, I want you to go ahead and try. I can't really talk right now, this fit happens sometimes. Anyways, go ahead and try to take my memories."

"First however, I would like to make a deal. You see, being a Demon of Chaos, there's quite a few things I can do. I won't list them all now, that would take far to long. This is the deal, If you manage to make it through my mind, and steal my first memory, I will work with you, and do as you ask. Keep in mind, that even though I may work with you, I will not be your slave. I will not harm you, nor get others to harm you."

She smiled, a cruel, wicked grin.

"However, if you do not manage to make it through my mind, you will not go back to your body."

She walked up to him, in his mind, and stroked his face.

"Think about it. All the power of a Demon of Chaos, at your fingertips. Deal?"

Ruby was unaware of this instant messaging inside of Raven's head.

As oblivious to it as she was, she still noticed the somewhat vaguer expression on his face.

"Well, Raven, if you're still there, Sasha was a friend of my dads. They liked each other, yes, but they never got married!"

Arclightning

Raven was pretty amused. How stupid does she think he is? Can't go back to his own body?
"While I find your offer tempting, Icannot help but refuse. But as s peace offeringI offer you this memory. He grabbed a book off his desk and held it out for her to read. The spine said 'Raven the actual dragon.'
"And I have also realized that I cannot take your memories and remain sane, so if you mind pleas exit mine and I shall be on my merry way."

Of course he's not gonna actually steal a demons memories. Last time it had almost killed him. So this time he had come prepared. He glanced at the 'Memory trap' he had made last week. In his mind it represented something else, but it was there. He turned back to the demon and made a shooing motion.

OneofaKindd

Wixi smiled.

"Keep your memory. I still invite you to try, of course, just know that when you do, you wont make it out again. Oh yes, I've seen horrors  like you wouldn't believe. I've seen stars burn, planets crumble, seas dry up, and millions die in less than a second. Oh, I caused some of it. I wasn't always a demon of chaos you know, but Ive told you too much already."

"So keep your puny memory, it could never compare to my own. Goodbye. And good luck. I've the vision I just had was true, you're going to need much more than just luck. "

"You know what, I like what you're doing. You're causing chaos across the lands, the many memories you've taken, leaving holes that can't be filled again. I like it. So, I will leave you with a gift instead."

She created a glowing orb on black and red swirls.

"Here. Don't worry, I give my word as a Demon that it won't harm you in any way. You should know that once a God's or Goddesses, or Demons word is given, they can't ever go back on it."

She took her finger, and cut an x into her shoulder.

"That magic, will help you three times, when you are in dire need. Call out 'Wixi, Demon of Chaos, I need your help.' and My magic will fill you. Three times you may use it. It shall bend to the situation, helping you in whatever situation you find yourself in."

"Good luck out there, Raven. I hope you find out what happened to your wife. Oh wait, that's the future, not the past. I get them confused sometimes."

She turned around and stood on the edge of the tower, looking down. She glanced back over her shoulder.

"Ta Tah."

And she jumped.

OneofaKindd

Arclightning

Excuse me what? Was the first thing to cross Ravens mind after the demon jumped. He leaned over the edge and shouted
"There was a door right behind you!!" It was pointless because she was already out of his head, but he did it anyway. Raven was weird like that. Then he stepped out through the door and left his mind.

The jolt back into the real world was shocking as always but once everything came back into focus he found himself staring a Ruby. He took a second to recount their conversation and just decided 'screw it.' He jumped into her head and put her memory back.
"There you go." He turned and walked over to the demon while absentmindedly saying "enjoy."
Once he reached the demon he pulled out a plain stone vial. His memory trap. He leaned over the demon and said
"Well, Wixi." Pointedly using her name. She was arrogant, and snagging her name had been all to easy. Even though that small thing had given his left eye a slight twitch. "I think I shall save this." He waved the bottle in front of her nose. "Instead I will use one of my three wishes to ask you, what did you mean by my wife?" He leans forward slowly as he was saying this until he could feel her breath on his face.

[OOC: sorry! Been busy. I'll be faster this week I promise!]

OneofaKindd

Wixi smiled and stood up. She grew herself slightly, so she stood three inches over him.

"You misunderstood. I did not give you wishes, I gave you help. When you are in dire need of it, then it will help you."

"As for that stone vile, I hope you know I've been around long enough to know people like you. Yes, you're not the first to try and steal my memories. One even tried it with a, oh what was it called again..., oh yes. A memory trap."

She said those last two words out loud, and from her mind, blasting it through the few layers of protection in his mind, and causing it to give him some pain, akin to a migraine, for a split second.

Ruby was hopelessly confused.

First, she learns that her dad DID marry again, and with Sasha, (She was going to kill him when she saw him again) and now this shapeshifter had given this memory thief wishes.

She didn't hear them talking, really, but did hear the thought blast that came from the shapeshifter.

"Ow..." She winced. "That really hurt...."

Arclightning

Oh so its gonna be like that. Thought Raven as the she-demon towered over him, but the part that annoyed him the most was that she threatened him. Him. Raven Thorne, the goddamn memory thief!

Raven barely felt the migraine, he had too much control over his mind.
"Listen lady, you still don't get it. I don't have anything against you, so stop the intimidating height thing, and thanks for the wishes." He used the word wishes to see of she was the type to bristle at petty insults, but then he continued. "And if you know what a memory trap does then you understand how easy it would be to use on you right now, and so you believe that I wont. And you understand how much of a simple process it would be for me to take your memories and break the vial, destroying them." Raven grinned wolfishly. Here's the kicker, he thought."I therefore propose that you give me something inconsequential, like the memory of some guy you killed, and I take it sell it to some nobleman who goes bonkers once he gets the memory. And then you reclaim your memory while I rob him blind. Simple, eh?" Of course there would be complications, but she can figure those on her own.

OneofaKindd

Wixi smiled. How stupid does he think he is. She was going to enjoy this, especially now that he called her help, wishes again.

"While I can see how that would be useful to you, I don't see how it would be useful to me. Even if you did intend on letting me take my memory back, which I completely doubt, there would be no reason for me to help you other than this memory trap. By the way, when you got that, what was the one thing they told you it couldn't be used against?"

She covered the entire area in darkness, and morphed into the inky blackness.

"You still don't know who you're dealing with, do you boy?" She said the word 'boy' with scorn.

"It would be so easy to kill you, and the others right now. However, I think I'll have a little fun first. Oh, you think you are the mightiest creature there is, don't ya?"

"Let's test that. Tell me, memory thief. What are you afraid of? What keeps you up at night, causes those nightmares that have plagued you for a life time?"

She smiled when she saw it. His deepest, darkest fear.

"Got it."

And she plunged him down into his own mind, and released his own demons.

Arclightning

What? Oh goddammit! How did he not remember that?

Raven remembered his old mentor telling him 'Remember Raven, a memory trap cannot be used in higher beings, for their minds are usually too strong and their memories are always too unfamiliar for them to be of use.' Hell.

Then she slammed into his mind like a tidal wave. All of his carefully prepared defenses and mental discipline was swept aside like a leaves in a tornado, and all that was left was them.

They shambled out of the dark corner of his mind where the forgotten go to die, and trampled over everything in their wake. They were sightless, their maws gaping. They were the husks of the people who once had memories.

And they were fueled by revenge.

OneofaKindd

Wixi, inside his mind, sprouted a tower from the 'ground'. She laughed, and leaned over the edge, to watch what shall happen.

The shadows were taking form now. All that he feared, was starting to become real. Well, real for him. They couldn't harm her.

"Oh dear, what have we here? A little memory thief, running from his fears?"

"Oh dear little memory thief, run all you want. Run and run, and I shall continue this taunt."

"Run from the monsters inside of your head, and pray they don't come out from under your bed."

She fancied herself a poet.

"Actually, little bird, I have a better idea. Oh don't be shy, come here, come here!"

She teleported him up to her tower.

"Instead of your all your fears, I'll only make you face one. Here it comes, all wrapped up in red. Oh, it's a person? Someone whose dead. Look at that, little birdy? Who is that you see? I think that... oh my... This is going to be tough for you. I can't believe you have to fight your father! Hah!"

Arclightning

Oh. So she doesn't know everything.

Ravens father was a noble from Connlaoth who was the perfect father. Nice, but stern. Generous, but firm. The only time he had been less than that was when Raven had refused to kill a criminal with his own two hands. His father had said 'You are not a man until you understand both life and death, Raven".

But,

The stories of his father from when he marched out to quell rebels in another part of the barony the soldiers told were very ghastly indeed. Raven once overheard a corporal telling his lieutenant ' dont forget to polish your boots to mirror shine or the lord will make you walk barefoot in the ice-water lake.'

But,

those stories cant be true, right?

Raven turned to his father, took in the tall, broad shoulders,and the silken, bloodied robes

And the spotless boots.

His mouth split into a sneer while he said "Is that mud on your boots soldier?"

Arclightning

Raven was almost frozen with fear. His father? That was, worse than anything. His father made him a murderer. Raven glanced at his boots and saw the mud caking them. He felt another spike of fear through his body. His mind raced, what could he do? He couldn't kill his father, not even in his own head.

So he ran.

He ran to the edge of the tower and jumped. Once he landed unharmed amidst a desert of black sand he turned and saw his father falling towards him. He could not kill his own father. If he was anyone else he would have no problem putting a sword in that tyrants mouth, but- wait, anyone but him? There was a perfectly good person just sitting outside his head! Raven stopped dead in his tracks and put all of his concentration into breaking through the demons power.

Raven only managed to get a tiny bit of consciousness through, but it was enough to leap forward and pull Everleigh through his ring into his mind.

Once they were back in the black desert he turned to her, handed her his saber and said
"Stab that man!" And pointed at his father.

lemon-hop

Everleigh had watched in silent shock, spending the long time that was used between the man and the demon to... Well, to do what, she couldn't say.

She could say, however, that she was absolutely ready to ditch this hellhole and head straight back to Serendipity. She had no desire to be caught up in this madness, this tidal wave of insanity and prophecies and all sorts of dreadful things she could not stand--

..For.

Dear god.

For a soft, silent moment, she stood with the weapon (sword, she supposed) clutched in two white-knuckled hands, her cheeks growing an aggressive shade of red as she stared dumbly at the man.

"Par-Pardon? I will do no such thing," she practically hissed, "until I've got half a valid reason to do so and an explanation to go with!" She jabbed at Raven's chest, giving a sharp glare to the other one--her would-be victim.
This was ridiculous.

Arclightning

Oh come on! There's no time to explain! He's coming right word us and when he gets here... Ravens thoughts stuttered for a moment. When he gets here something bad will happen. Raven wasn't sure what, but it will be bad.

"Listen here lady! That man" Raven pointed at his father, who was advancing at a brisk pace with a cocky and arrogant stride. "Once made an entire regiment of soldiers get frostbite on their feet from standing in a frozen lake for no reason other than he was having a bad day!" Raven left off the part where most of that day was spent forcing his son to execute prisoners in his dungeon. Raven wanted nothing more than to forget that day, for it shaped his life to strongly and in too many ways.

"Trust me, he deserves to die."

I am his son after all. I should know. Raven thought.