Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In Plain Sight [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 19, 2016, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

He unpinned his ears for her scratching and just stared at her while listening to her explanation. He wasn't sure what he'd been hoping for but somehow that explanation didn't seem particularly satisfying. Even so, he was willing to forgive her wandering simply for having the chance to see that she was safe.

With a huff he relaxed his tense posture, leaning forward to nuzzle against her with a rumbling purr of forgiveness and butting against her hands.

DragonSong

Another sigh, this one of relief, and she leaned into the cat, rubbing her cheek against his and answering his purr with a soft rumble in her chest.

"I'm sorry I worried you," she murmured as her arms wrapped around his neck. "I just...we really have to get moving."

Juno

He rested his chin on her shoulder, huffing against her ear in agitation. He didn't like it, but she was right. Did it have to be right away, though? He supposed the sooner they got going the better, the less distance between them, but damn if he didn't want her to just slow things down a bit. He was sure she would run herself ragged if he didn't keep a careful eye on her.

Tail twitching anxiously he finally took a few steps back to stare up at her with large, questioning eyes. Finally accepting what she said as truth he heaved a huge sigh and relaxed his body, turning to grab the makeshift parcel of clothing and stepping up beside her so they could continue their journey. He wasn't sure how well it might work as he was much more a pure hunter than a tracker at heart, but he was content taking at least a day as his cat to try to help his mate track her pack.

DragonSong

"Here, let me." Brenna stooped to take the clothes from his mouth, holding the bundle to her chest as she started walking.

After a few moments of quiet she murmured, "I really am sorry that I worried you. I just... I couldn't sit still any longer."

Juno

He was a little taken aback by the gesture but allowed it, moving closer to brush against her leg in thanks.

What she told him seemed a little obvious, though he wished it wasn't that way with her. She would run herself ragged if she didn't get proper rest and kept running off on him. And once they were truly separated... He didn't want to think about that.

Shaking his head, he tilted his head to bump against her leg, rumbling quietly in a sort of scolding acceptance. It was just how she was about her wolves.

Giving his coat a shivering shake he relaxed a bit better as he walked beside her, eyes peeled on the path ahead and nose primed for any sign of her family among the snow that his human senses might have missed before.

DragonSong

Brenna sighed quietly and let her hand drift down to bury her fingers in his fur, eyes searching their surroundings as they walked. There just had to be something, some hint, even the smallest clue.

Her steps slowed and she bent, then knelt, swiping away a layer of dead grasses and frost.

A smile curved her lips slightly and she huffed a soft sound of relief. "Chaser." She placed her hand over the paw print and repeated, "Chaser." Then she was on her feet and running.

Juno

Chris watched their surroundings intently, occasionally tilting his head to look up at her before bounding off to dance a few paces ahead. When she paused he hurried over to her side, snorting against the snow and flicking his ears every which way. He lifted his head to look around with a quiet rumble before bowing his head to the ground again to try to pick up on whatever might have been left of the wolf's scent.

As she ran, though, he bounded after her before she'd gotten further than a few paces ahead of him. Christopher was quickly at her side, senses on high alert for further signs of her pack as he loped along. There were small marks and scents here and there so he stayed comfortably at her heels, certain they were headed the right way. Privately, he was worried for his mate, though. Markings were one thing, but just how far behind might they have been?

DragonSong

It was like she suddenly wasn't tired at all, adrenaline offering new energy as she raced through the snow. Her family was close, she knew it, they just had to be...

Suddenly she skidded to a stop, panting, and turned in a quick circle. Then she threw back her head and howled, hands cupped around her mouth to carry the sound further.

For several long, agonizing heartbeats there was silence. Then a shivery, answering howl sounded off, somewhere to the southeast, near an icy outcropping.

Brenna nearly sobbed, her knees starting to buckle with relief. "There." She pointed, digging the fingers of her other hand into Chris's coat as she used him to steady herself. "There..."

Juno

Chris watched her with sadness, a painful tugging in his chest to watch her call out for her family like she had. He wasn't expecting an answer.

His head snapped around to look off in the direction of the howl, dazed and trying to figure out how they'd somehow gotten ahead. Unless it wasn't the whole pack. Or perhaps they'd circled around, their scents still seemed to lead off ahead but he trusted Brenna if she was certain that was them.

He chuffed excitedly, arching his shoulders against her touch. He was eager to hurry her along to find them, perhaps finally putting an end to her distress over their displacement, but he was wary of her sudden signs of exhaustion and didn't move to lead her away on his own.

Tilting his head back he looked up at her with a somewhat pleading look, hoping she was alright, praying she hadn't pushed herself too far. He could only hope she was just overcome with emotion. Rumbling softly he nuzzled against her, curling his tail protectively around her on the ground.

DragonSong

Brenna nodded at her mate, thankful for the support, then she was off again, a stumbling run through the snow until she reached the outcrop. She chuffed a soft bark, peering around as she slowed her pace to appear nonthreatening. Her pack would have recognized her howl, but they were being hunted, and she didn't want to add to their stress.

She saw Icefang first, then her brother Chaser, both huddled in front of the others under the small cave the outcropping formed. There was blood in the snow, but she counted and they were all there, all except Brokefang.

She collapsed to her knees, sobbing in relief, and her sister surged forward, licking her face and whining softly as the others shuffled closer. She wrapped her arms around Icefang's neck and hung on tight.

Juno

The leopard lagged behind, cautious and keeping a wary eye out for an ambush. Somehow he expected their hunters to be alerted to their location by the brief howls. But he relaxed when nothing immediately stood out to him and trotted up behind her.

He observed the wolves cautiously, keeping a bit of distance and not exactly feeling welcome to their reunion. He noticed the absence of their alpha but didn't think it worth pointing out if Brenna didn't seem concerned.

The shifter shuffled in place, chuffing curiously at the human and eyeing the wolves in his uncertainty, wondering if he was allowed any closer to their makeshift den.

DragonSong

Longclaw shouldered his way forward, giving Brenna cursory nuzzle before staring at Christopher, hackles raised.

Brenna lurched forward and wrapped her arms around her foster father's neck, whining and huffing quietly before nuzzling his cheek. With a grumble he subsided, stepping aside to allow the two newcomers into the rather open cave.

Brenna hurried forward, stroking Bright-Eye's back and rubbing Shade's ears before she knelt next to Snowfur, who was sprawled on her side, panting. She whined in concern, eyes narrowing as they roamed over her, searching for an injury.

Juno

Chris had remained poised to run while Brenna sorted things out with Longclaw, eyes never leaving them until it seemed he was accepting and allowing. Shaking out his coat a bit he uncoiled the tension through his body and padded forward to follow Brenna inside and join her at her side again.

To his animal senses their current choice of den seemed a flurry of emotion and mixed signals, his ears flickering every which way atop his head and his nose was overwhelmed by the mix of excitement and anxiety with the scent of blood in the air. It seemed unnatural to him and was entirely throwing him off. With a huff he bowed his head and pressed close against his mate, anxious for her to relax and not understanding what about her foster mother was concerning her so at the moment.

DragonSong

Snowfur was hurting, but Brenna could find no signs of an outward injury- which actually seemed odd, because most of the pack had even a few cuts or scrapes.

Bright-Eye huffed, then whined at her. Brenna sighed and curled up next to her foster mother. She reached out for her mate, burying her fingers in his ruff and trying to pull him down next to her. "The pups," she murmured to explain what was going on. "Her tummy is hurting. She might have...lost them."

Juno

Christopher inched forward cautiously, wary of interrupting but eager to obey his mate's wishes if she truly wanted him there. Her explanation caused his heart to clench, never having had need to worry for such a thing in his own family but he felt for hers all the same because of it. They were her pack and this was her foster mother in distress.

He gave a soft, sympathetic sound, staring at her helplessly for a moment before tucking his head against her side. With a sigh he let his leopard form slip away, curling his arms around her as he settled beside her and tucking his head against her shoulder instead.  The scents of their den didn't seem so strong but the blood was still unmistakable. "Will she live?" he asked quietly, knowing as soon as the words had left his lips that it was an entirely unfair question to ask of her.

Chris frowned, rubbing his cheek against her shoulder and shaking his head firmly with a murmured, "Forget I said that."

DragonSong

A sob caught in Brenna's throat and she turned her face into her foster mother's ruff even as she hugged Christopher around the shoulders. "I- I think so," she murmured. "But she needs rest, and the hunters will come."

Longclaw growled at the word "hunters"- he didn't know many human words, but that one was familiar to the whole pack.

Icefang whimpered rather pathetically and crawled on her belly toward her mother, nuzzling their noses together with a soft huff. Brenna sighed and stroked her sister's ears, then her muzzle, making soft little whining sounds: it would be okay, she would protect them.

She desperately hoped she could live up to that promise. Her hand clenched in her mate's hair and she swallowed thickly, clenching her eyes shut to stop tears.

Juno

Chris nodded, looking around them to watch the wolves with sad eyes.  "You should rest with them," he suggested quietly, smiling slightly for the sight of her affectionate foster sibling. "At least for the night. I can- I will stand guard for you, keep the hunters away. Maybe scare them a little."

As much as he hated the idea of purposefully using his abilities to the detriment of humans he recognized that those who chased her wolves probably weren't people to be reasoned with by normal means. He wasn't sure if it was even a good, reasonable idea or even safe for him, but he wanted to ensure that his mate got time with her pack.

DragonSong

Her head snapped up and she looked at him with wide eyes. "What- no! What if they hurt you?" Her hand clutched at his arm desperately.

Longclaw gave a questioning huff and she answered with a whine and a soft bark, lowering her eyes as she explained what her mate had offered. The alpha looked Christopher over, then gave another huff and a brisk nod.

Brenna glowered between the two males. "He...says he will watch with you. Protect each other," she muttered reluctantly. "But I don't want you to, either of you! We should hide- I can carry Snowfur, we'll find a safer place-"

Her foster father cut across her with a low growl- not angry, just asserting his dominance- and she ducked her head, brow still furrowed.

Juno

Brenna's immediate reaction was endearing to him but also a bit frustrating. What good would it do them if he spent his time hiding away with the rest of them instead of looking out for her and the pack? Couldn't she see that he just wanted to protect them? Protect her?

"Brenna... It would be safer for us all if we aren't all huddled together. We can just... Keep watch," he decided, reaching out to pat her foster father before remembering himself and pulling his hand back to his side. Instead, he reached out to give her a brief hug. "I promise I won't go looking for trouble, I just want to be a...barrier. A first line of defense. You could have some warning if the worst were to happen." But it wouldn't. He couldn't let that happen, either.

"That's just...a worst case situation. We'll be fine. If we hide wouldn't they just keep coming for us anyway?" Christopher smiled sadly and leaned in to nuzzle against her hair, gathering her close and shooting a warning glare to the Alpha male for causing such noises from his mate. "There's nothing to worry about.We'll keep you safe, okay?"

DragonSong

Longclaw seemed a bit taken aback by Chris reaching out, but he didn't try to snap at him, which Brenna supposed was a step in the right direction.

With a soft whine she wrapped her arms around her mate's neck and clung on tightly. "Be safe," she whispered eventually, realizing she wouldn't be able to talk him out of it.