Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In Plain Sight [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 19, 2016, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Chris sat himself back down upon his place on the rocks once she was gone, watching as she went through the mouth of the den. He watched her through the fur of the wolves curled together but frowned at her words. It really wasn't his right to intrude upon them.

"I'm alright here, it isn't cold yet," he called to her, waving his hand in dismissal. As much as he wanted to be with her he wanted her to be with the pack without him there to interrupt. He wasn't really a part of it, after all. Sure, they had their reasons to be friendly towards him for Brenna's sake but how could a leopard -and a shifter at that- be part of such a bond?

DragonSong

Bryn looked at him for a long moment, then nodded and settled herself in among her pack.

They didn't sleep, but didn't move either, just curled together to feel each other's warmth, hear the heartbeat of the pack and feel their breath rising and falling together. Sometimes it was what was needed, this reaffirmation, especially after losing so much.

Juno

The shifter kept a tentative watch over the den, or at least as much as he could sitting near it frozen in thought. He was glad they'd found them again for her sake but he was left feeling a particular emptiness that night.

What sleep he got was fitful and eventually he just remained awake, staring up at the sky as the stars faded away into morning.

DragonSong

BRenna was up before most of her pack, and she crawled over their huddled bodies to slip out into the open air.

"Chris?" Was he asleep? She crept a little closer, not wanting to wake him if he was sleeping, but also seeking the company.

Juno

He didn't startle at her voice but turned his head slowly before rolling over into his back to look up at her. "Morning," he mumbled, voice rough still from disuse. "Did you get any sleep?" He yawned and patted at the rocks beside him.

DragonSong

She nodded and settled beside him, leaning into his arm and letting her head rest on his shoulder. "Some. Everyone's...worried."

Juno

Chris draped his arm around her, pulling her in a bit as he idly rubbed along her shoulder. "Me too," he admitted quietly, eyeing her out of the corner of his eye without turning his head. "Do you feel any better or still...?" Sad? Empty? He wasn't sure exactly what to say to put the feeling into words.

DragonSong

Brenna shrugged and shook her head. "I don't...they weren't really...here. But I miss them," she murmured. It didn't make sense, but it was the best way she could put it into words.

Unconsciously, she pressed a hand to her belly. "I can't imagine-" She cut herself off and shivered, clenching her eyes shut.

Juno

"Well, I'm sorry you lost them. You and your pack." And he meant that, not really knowing what they could have been feeling but understanding it was crushing from what he'd witnessed already.

Chris squeezed her close momentarily for the shudder, finally turning his head to study her with a thoughtful frown. He tried to piece together her words with her body language, finally guessing, "...losing a pup?" A brief ache seized his heart at the thought, realizing a child of hers would be his own as well.

DragonSong

She nodded dejectedly and leaned into his side with a small whimper. Her face turned into his shoulder and she just breathed him in for a few moments.

"We have to...find somewhere," she whispered eventually. "Somewhere else. Somewhere safe."

Juno

"We will," he murmured, trying to stay optimistic for her. "We can find a good home for them. Lots of game, no hunters. I'm sure there's plenty of good land further away from the villages. Just stay inland a bit and off the coast. Near the mountains might be good."

He fell quiet, thinking on it again and giving her another brief side-hug. "They might not want to move yet with pups so young, though."

DragonSong

Brenna shook her head. "We don't want to. But we don't have a choice." She sighed and put her head in her hands. "I...can carry them. In my...clothes. It'll be warmer. But we'll need to stop a lot, so Snowfur can feed them. And we won't have time to hunt..."

Juno

Chris hummed thoughtfully, not really knowing how often young mammals needed to be fed by their mothers but feeling sympathetic to their limitations. "Can the others not go without you? Or maybe...would they let me help?" He could even hunt without them, but he would likely need to bring down a few smaller animals rather than the larger ones they managed to take as a pack.

DragonSong

Her head snapped up and she blinked at him. "You...help?" She sniffled, suddenly on the verge of tears again, though she honestly didn't know why.

Juno

He was a little startled for the sniffling, uncertain if he'd somehow made her unhappy with the offer. "Well... Yes? If I'm allowed to, if hunts aren't all that private to them maybe. Is that a bad idea?" he wondered aloud, rubbing at her shoulder with concern for the sniffling. The last thing he wanted to do was upset her while she was already having an emotional day he couldn't even begin to understand.

DragonSong

Brenna shook her head quickly and buried her face against his shoulder. "No. Good. It's good." And sniffles and wrapped her arms right around him.

Stars and spirits, she just wanted to rest. She could even imagine how her foster parents were faring.

Juno

"Then that's settled. I'll help." Chris hugged her close with a sad smile. She'd been through so much in a short period of time. He wasn't even sure if he was actually being helpful or not but he hoped he was, the last thing he wanted was to be in her way.

"It's been a long day, why don't you lay down for a bit? You should relax," he coaxed gently. "I'll stay right here."

DragonSong

With another little whimper she nodded, then proceeded to just climb into his lap. She made her body into a tiny ball and tucked her head against his chest, huddled with her arms around her middle and her knees drawn up tight.

Juno

After a bit of rest things seemed easier for Chris to cope with. He was no longer in the moment, there was no need for an immediate reaction and he had some time to think without that stress on his mind. It was even easier to clear his head when he was finally free to hunt as his leopard, somewhat coordinating with the pack hunts but ensuring that a few smaller animals were also caught so there would be plenty for them all to eat.

After several days once the tensions among the pack had settled and they were finally ready to keep moving Chris directed them the only way he knew to go and knew was safe: home. The way he saw it, his home was the only place he knew he could protect Brenna and protect the pack. He had no way of knowing if it might be to their liking long-term but the way he saw it his lands would be open to them for however long they needed. Even if they wanted to settle there and call it home he didn't really see a downside in the end.

DragonSong

None of the he packncould really relax, even once they'd crossed into more familiar territory. Brenna kept the two surviving pups close to her body, tucked into her shirt so they could share her warmth.

"We need to rest," she murmured to Chris as she fell into step beside him, panting lightly. "Just for a night... They won't all fit inside, but the pups need heat, and food. Could- could we stay with you?"