Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In Plain Sight [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 19, 2016, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

His eyes widened a bit, a surprised chuckle passing his lips as he watched the wolves fondly. "Hunting with the rest and everything?"

DragonSong

She shrugged. "Probably still practicing, but soon enough. Two years is grown up for us. Them."

The correction took her slightly by surprise and she blinked, eyes going a little wide. Them.

When had that happened?

Juno

Chris eyed her curiously, a little surprised she was referring to the wolves separately but not wanting to draw attention to it. "You said you grew up with the younger ones, right?"

DragonSong

Brenna nodded, glancing to her foster siblings. "Yeah. My first year...Snowfur seemed to realize I wasn't growing as fast as a wolf-- a regular wolf, but Longclaw...I don't think he got it," she chuckled softly.

Another shrug and she leaned against his side more securely. "By the second winter, she was teaching me to hunt. I learned fast."

Juno

The shifter rubbed at her arm idly, content to cuddle and listen to her story. "I feel like my sisters taught me more than my parents ever did," he chuckled. "But I imagine your wolves are much better."

DragonSong

She smiled slightly and gave a noncommittal little shrug, but didn't answer.

Eventually, the pups seemed to have eaten their fill. Snowfur looked to her foster daughter with a soft, questioning yip and Brenna nodded quickly. It just made more sense for her to carry the pups, as she could tuck them inside her clothes close to her body heat.

She bundled the tiny wolves up into her shift and wrapped her arms around her middle, holding them close. She looked to Chris and nodded, eyes determined.

Juno

He watched with a soft, contented smile as Brenna got the pups situated. It warmed his heart to see how she cared for them, though he couldn't exactly explain why.

At her silent signal he rose to his feet, pressing a gentle kiss to her cheek as he passed her by and stepped outside. His senses weren't nearly as sharp but he was close enough to home to read the landscape well and he didn't notice anything particularly alarming.

Motioning for them to come out and follow, Chris stepped aside to stand clear of the small mouth of the den to wait for the wolves and his mate. He would set a less rigorous pace, it would not be much further until they'd reach his den. If the snow was firm on the ground and they could make good time they would see rest again just after midday.

DragonSong

The wolves all heaved themselves to their paws with varying noises of exhaustion or pain, but they arrayed themselves at the mouth of their shelter, ready to move.

Brenna sighed quietly and looked to Chris, nodding again. "Let's go."

Juno

That was all the encouragement he'd needed, stepping away from their temporary shelter to set out towards his own home. "Tell me if they need a break...or you," he mumbled distractedly, following along with familiar landmarks and animal trails through the snow.

DragonSong

"I will." She foreced a small smile and leaned against him slightly. "But we're alright."

They would make it, at least. And the sooner they had real shelter, the better. Then they could deal with...everything else.

Juno

Chris had looped an arm around Brenna to support her as they walked, mindful not to bother the pups. He was entirely exhausted, though, the stress and lack of sleep or comfort still weighing heavily on him as he was certain it was for the rest of their group.

His pace grew slower as the day wore on but he did brighten with recognition once they were back within the bounds of his territory. He pointed out ahead of them as the entrance to his home in the rocks became visible. "Almost there," he encouraged with a tired huff.

When they did finally arrive it was all Chris could do to usher Brenna inside and out of the cold before he collapse to sit and rest. There was still so much to do to make it comfortable again with a fire to light, water to fetch, and furs and blankets to warm, but he would manage it all soon enough.

DragonSong

Brenna sagged with relief as they finally reached her mate's den, her knees giving out. She sank to the floor and was quickly surrounded by furry bodies, whining and yipping quietly.

"I know, I know," she murmured without thinking, carefully scooping the pups out from inside her shirt to offer them up to their parents.

Juno

The shifter watched tiredly as the pups squirmed across the stone, but Snowfur and Longclaw seemed eager to care for them. Chris scooted closer to his mate, pulling her close against his chest and resting his head against her shoulder with a tired sigh. "Rest now, I'll handle things in a minute," he mumbled.

DragonSong

"No..." She tried to push herself up, then collapsed back against him with a groan. "I hafta...check on them...keep them safe..."

Juno

Chris huffed, grumbling under his breath for her stubborn determination. She was going to work herself to death if he wasn't careful to watch her. "They're safe here," he murmured quietly, doing his best to hold onto her once she was leaning against him again. "They just need rest, and so do you."

DragonSong

"I—" she blinked up at him, sighed, then closed her eyes and let her head thump against his shoulder.

"Okay," she relented in a reluctant murmur, hiding her face against him. Stars, she was just...so tired...

Juno

Chris smiled sadly but squeezed her close when she finally gave in to his request. He understood it was probably difficult for her, but he desperately wanted to see her rested again before she ran herself ragged trying to keep up with them all.

"They'll be fine," he murmured, finally finding the strength to stand again. Scooping her up he carefully stepped around the wolves and padded his way across the furs with her to set her down on the bed. "Rest here, I'll get everything settled."

DragonSong

"Okay..." She was just too tired to argue. Even in her foggy state fhough, she managed to reach after him, groping around until she caught his wrist. "You'll stay...won't you? With me?"

She only meant once he was done setting up the fire and such, but she was just so exhausted all the words wouldn't form properly, and she didn't quite have it in her to try to elaborate.

Juno

He paused as he felt her hand curl around his wrist, leaning over her again to listen to her questions. He frowned slightly, misunderstanding her a bit and thinking she thought he was going to abandon her. "Yeah, not gonna leave you, silly," he teased lightly, leaning closer to press a soft kiss to her forehead. "I'll just be gone a few minutes then we can nap. That sound okay?"

DragonSong

Brenna sighed and released him reluctantly, nodding sleepily. "M'kay. I love you," she murmured with a sigh, finally relaxing back into the bed.