Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In Plain Sight [M] [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 19, 2016, 04:25:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

His gaze hardened a bit at her demand, but he was certain she only meant well and relaxed with an acknowledging huff as he took up the remainder of their meal to eat quietly. "Did you sleep better?" he asked softly, peeking up at her for a moment before casting the wolves a curious glance.

DragonSong

Relaxing slightly when he finally started to eat, she nodded and leaned back against his bed with a small sigh. “Yeah. It is good to be...safe.”

She reached out and laid her hand over his, offering a tired smile. “Thank you.”

Juno

Chris shot her a tired smile, relieved that she'd been able to rest better and hopeful that she would continue to as they got more settled. At least until they were on the move again, searching for a home for the wolves. He certainly didn't mind them crowding into his own den, but they needed their own space eventually to raise the youngest pups.

When he was finished with his meal he tossed the bones aside and turned his hand over to grasp her own. He stayed like that for a few moments before moving to his knees and turning to sit down beside her instead. "You're welcome...but it's what I should be doing anyway," he reminded her with an indulgent quirk to his lips. "My mate safe and happy, warm and fed. Is there anything else you need?"

DragonSong

Brenna smiled and curled into his side, closing her eyes with a soft sigh. "Just you," she murmured, letting her head rest against his shoulder. "I'm just...so tired."

Juno

His eyes softened at her words, lips drawing into a tight line of concern. "Maybe we pushed too hard," he mused quietly, scooting close to press against her side and wrap an arm around her shoulders to pull her snugly against himself.

"You might need a few more days of good rest. Do you have it in you to let me do most of the work around here?" he asked with a soft chuckle, leaning close to brush a light kiss across her temple.

DragonSong

"I make...no promises," Brenna sighed softly, though she was smiling just slightly.

As if on some unspoken cue, the pack rose to their paws-- all but Snowfur and her nursing pups-- and moved toward the door, slipping out into the snowfields. Longclaw licked his mate's chin affectionately as he passed her and they nuzzled their noses together.

The human pack member tried to get to her feet, groaning. "I should help them."

Juno

Chris eyed the wolves out of the corner of his eye, tensing slightly as Brenna moved to stand and snapping a hand to try to hold onto her arm. "Ah ah ah," he scolded gently, eyes narrowing with concern and a low, warning growl rumbling through his chest. "Let them... You stay here, I can go if they need help."

As much as he didn't want to let her out of his sight he didn't want her feeling it was necessary to help them hunt. At least the wolves seemed to understand their limits, he was worried Bryn was so tired she might collapse and freeze to death if she went along.

DragonSong

From her place by the fire, Snowfur raised her head and growled at her foster daughter, obviously scowling. Brenna looked from the massive wolf to her mate, then sighed and sank down onto the bed in defeat.

"Fine," she huffed, folding her arms. Glancing toward Chris, she added, "Snowfur wants you to look after me." Her expression made it clear exactly what she thought about that. "She's says we have to stay here, stay warm."

Juno

His features softened as he watched Brenna and Snowfur's brief interaction. He was still fairly oblivious to most of the communication that went on between the dire wolves of her pack but he understood well enough that Snowfur was at least being sensible the way his mate reacted to her growls.

Chris relaxed his grip on her arm and moved to sit beside her instead, shooting Snowfur a grateful look. "That's a fine idea. You've been cold too long, don't have their fur to protect you," he pointed out gently, lifting one of the furs to settle around her shoulders for good measure.

"Thirsty?" he offered, glancing towards the buckets of snow he'd set out to melt, the firelight dancing in a blurry reflection now that they were liquid.

DragonSong

Brenna grumped and sulked on the bed, but relented with a small nod as she burrowed deeper into the furs.

She was thirsty.

“You need to rest too,” she pointed out with a small pout.

Juno

Chris nodded, giving her a small smile as he slipped away to fetch some for her. He filled a small waterskin and then set a fresh bucket of water down closer to Snowfur on his way back to the bed, not wanting her to have to move too far if she needed it with her pack temporarily gone.

He folded his legs to sit down beside Brenna, holding out the skin to her expectantly. "I have a feeling you'll be gone again the next time I close my eyes to rest," he teased lightly, giving her a small nudge.

DragonSong

Her chest tightened guiltily and, rather than reach for the water skin, she abruptly twisted and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I shouldn't have...done that. Left without saying anything. I didn't think... I didn't want to make you worry."

Juno

His eyes widened slightly in surprise, a little taken aback that she felt the need to apologize so much. Chris just shook his head, though, a sad smile playing at his lips as he turned to set his free hand to her arm and leaned closer to briefly nuzzle against her hair.

"It's okay," he murmured, huffing a soft sigh. "I just...worry over you, with everything that's happened. You don't have to tell me everything, but it'd be nice to know things like that. I could have gone with you and helped."

He shrugged, leaning closer again to brush a kiss to her forehead. Maybe she didn't even want help, but he felt it necessary to remind her of the standing offer.

"I want to help whenever you'll let me. It's what a mate should do," he reminded her softly, a little worried he wasn't doing enough for her as it was and it was a little intimidating. Their relationship was still so young, there was still so much he needed to learn about her and with her.

DragonSong

Frowning again, Brenna shook her head slowly. "No... I mean yes, I-- I want to help each other. Be there for each other. But I-- I really shouldn't have left on my own. Without telling you. It wasn't...okay."

Was that a pack thing? She had a feeling if her foster mother wasn't otherwise incredibly occupied she would have gotten quite a scolding for that. Why wasn't he angry with her?

Juno

The shifter just shrugged, briefly squeezing her close. She seemed unhappy, perhaps he hadn't understood...but he was sure he had. "Maybe just...try to remember for next time," he told her softly.

"I want to make sure you're okay. Safe," he added, glancing towards his makeshift door. "There's plenty of danger that could find you. I don't want that for you."

DragonSong

"Okay." Her eyes were so heavy. Stars, why was she so tired all the time? It had been a rough journey, but surely not enough to leave her this exhausted. "Chris..." She yawned. "Wake me...when they get back? I should hunt for us."

Juno

The shifter nodded, eyeing her with concern for the yawn and thrusting the water skin he'd been holding towards her. "Drink first and... Sure. Can we go together this time?"

DragonSong

“Mmhmm...” Brenna reached out for him blindly, groping until she found his hand and held it tight, drawing him as close as she could manage. “Together. Promise.”

Juno

Chris chuckled, smiling warmly for her sleepy affections. He draped an arm over her middle, pulling her close and nuzzling against her shoulder. "Take a nap, I'll be here," he murmured.

DragonSong

"Always." Brenna curled into the curve of his body, tucking her head up under his chin. "Always be here for you, Chris..."

And she was out, slipping into sleep in a matter of moments.