Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A new begining, but lost to the end

Started by Andariel, January 21, 2016, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andariel

Andariel dredges through the woods, pulling one foot miserably in front of the other. Her clothes are torn and covered in dirt. They were already in bad shape when she was release, but now they were in near tatters. Constantly catching on brush and coated in grime every time she stops to rest. Her robe now bore large rips and tears, even her under clothes seemed in tatters. Her robes usual rich purple hue reduced to nothing more than a muddled brown with maybe a tint of purple breaking through. Her skin remained exposed through many of the holes, exposing her to the harsh environment around her. A shiver ran up her spine.

As she continued on her foot caught on an uplifted root, giving cause for a fall. As she tried to catch herself rocks scraped across and torn at her hands, adding to the blood slowly pooling from her hands. She's been at it for days, but has yet to find any sign of civilization. She wondered how the girl had found her in this maze of an endless trees and started to wish to return to her blissful decades of sleep. She pulled herself up against a tree trunk, unable to will herself to continue at the moment.

She closed her eyes before clutching briefly at her stomach. She was hungry, but more than that she was thirst. She wondered how far away civilization was. A day? Three? Had she gotten turned around at some point and wondered deeper into the forest? She knew not. Everything here was different. The trees, the forest, the taste of the air as it burned her throat; it was no longer her world. The world she knew was gone, decayed with the passing of time and seemingly remade anew. How long had she been trapped there? How many centuries, shear millenniums had past? She knew not, she long embraced the dark bliss of sleep to pass through the ages.

Kalak8538

How interesting...

The struggle of the robed woman was intriguing to that which watched her. Days, weeks, months... All would pass like seconds for it, and boredom would set in. That is, until it discovered someone new. Someone like this. She was not like most mortals, or perhaps, she was not mortal at all. A quick scan of the mind would reveal everything. Thoughts... memories... Anything in her mind could be read like a book. The woman would not even be the wiser. However, that was just too easy, and not as fun. This being had decided that this encounter would be different. There was a certain element of excitement to figuring out someone's character the "mortal way", an excitement needed to break this boredom it felt.

It was time to play. What would be done with her later? Well, that all depended on what it felt like doing at the time. The being would play it by ear on the fly, as it was accustomed to do. The being did not manifest itself, not yet. There would be time later for that. For now, it sent some simple illusions her way. A singsong voice, seemingly belonging to a male, echoed from the trees themselves. There was no one to be seen anywhere, no one for the voice to belong to.

"Oh my my..." it echoed with a chuckle. It continued a moment later from a completely different, and seemingly random other direction.

"A bit lost, are we?"

Andariel

Her eyes flicked open and narrowed after a brief scan of the area. "Nymph..." she muttered, thinking back to her past experiences with the playful creatures. She couldn't be sure, but was too tired to entertain other possibilities.

"I'm sure you could help remedy that," she answered, seemingly talking to the trees. After a moment she slowly shrugged to her feet, ready to negotiate with whatever creature had come across her.  "Though technically speaking I would have to first be found before I could ever be lost. It is more like I have been..." she paused briefly before grinning, "misplaced."

Kalak8538

This was interesting. Met with a complete stranger in the middle of the forest, one not even visible for her to find, and she smiles. Confidence. The visitor approved.

This would be more fun than he anticipated.

The voice emanated from behind the woman. It rang out in the same jovial tone as it had been before. "Well, it seems to ME that you have been found... So, are you lost NOW? Or does company mean the opposite, I wonder?"

Andariel

She offers a mere glance over her shoulder to the voice, "I am still neither lost nor found, since you know not my place. I am still only misplaced, or possible displaced depending on how you look at it. Were you to lead me to a town, still I would remain displaced. The places I knew and belonged are no more." She stared at a tree, almost staring though the tree, contemplating the situation she was in, "I have no place I belong, and thus I belong no more. Perhaps I shall one day belong again. Would you be interested in helping me find a place I might belong?"

Kalak8538

A response that was very uncharacteristic of a mortal. There was so much more to her story than was originally anticipated. The being changed its mind, something that it did often. The decision to stay out of the woman's mind was quickly overturned. The being just HAD to know more about this one.

The process was quick, and completely undetectable by the subject. Quickly traversing thoughts and visiting memories, all that made up her mind was known in the blink of an eye. It was rightfully assumed that there was some... supernatural air about the woman. Some of the deeper memories even inspired pity, a feeling that was not commonly felt by this being.

Once again, it's voice bounced around. It came from different sources with each passing sentence.
"Oh, but I know more than you think... One thousand years of rest. The open is the easiest place to hide. Time is the easiest place to get lost. To get... Misplaced."

Just then, a flurry of snow began to blow through the air. It did not cling to anything, and the temperature of the air grew no colder. A dark figure, a silhouette of a young man appeared, sitting on one of the branches of the trees. The voice continued, now with a source plainly in sight.
"Would I? Perhaps. Could I? Absolutely. SHOULD I? Now there lies the mystery..."