Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

No Still Waters [DragonSong]

Started by Juno, January 27, 2016, 06:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juno

Leaning against the wall outside one of the bustling taverns afforded her the shroud of darkness she sought. At night there was no fear standing out in the open when there was hardly any risk of another human catching sight of her in the pitch black.

It was all impersonal. She had no motive aside from selfish greed and coin enough to last her until she decided to move on to the next town.

Things had been boring lately. Little news, little excitement and petty, unremarkable thefts. A high bounty on her head across several countries tended to do that, so she was lying low until it all blew over. Well, relatively low at least.

Stubbornly remaining out in public and refusing to hide had earned her quite a bit of attention. All of which needed paying off: more money, more theft. It was a cycle, alright, though not necessarily a vicious one. It was easy and something she was frankly blind to. Consequences meant very little to her as a woman with no qualms about skipping town at the first sign of trouble.

With a few swift and nearly silent cuts Awiergan stripped some of the smaller, less suspicious coin purses off the noticeably inebriated. Each was tucked into its own pocket of her coat, the slight jingling of coin quickly silenced as they were enveloped. She was no stranger to taking advantage of the weak and was eager enough to take the shortest, most profitable route to obtaining the comfortable cushion of false wealth she was accustomed with leaning upon.

DragonSong

As fascinated as he was with life on land, this was really only his third trip to the surface. He'd learned enough to know that acquiring pants should be his first priori once he stepped onto the shore, but didn't feel quite the same need to find a shirt. Consequently, he was drawing quite a few states as he strolled down the street, heedless of the late hour.

His eye were used to the dark anyway. In fact, they were sharp enough to pick out what he thought might be the outline of a figure, a shadow against shadow moving quickly through the black.

Curious, Luca sidled closer, wondering what this strange moving shadow was up to. Of course, with his height and half naked appearance, subtly wasn't really his strong suit.

Juno

She didn't feel his stare until he was nearly upon her, but the piratess was careful not to look up and make whatever it was aware that she knew she was being watched. It was dangerous to know nothing of her adversary and the realization that the hunter was becoming the hunted, as it were, was fairly unsettling. It seemed eerie that he was moving straight towards her, but maybe it was just coincidence or one of those pesky, hyper-alert drunks.

Awiergan continued her snatching of coin purses until she could see the shadow of the lingering man. She stilled, her fingers deftly hiding the last of her spoils as she chanced a glance at the stranger who, remarkably, was entirely under dressed in her opinion. Much as she wanted to balk at his lack of proper covering she muttered something about being "too busy" for whatever it was he'd approached her for and turned to walk deeper into town and away from the tavern she'd been preying upon.

She'd been seen, that much she knew. Noticed. That wasn't good at all. She could only hope he'd been too drunk to think much of what exactly she was doing there. Maybe he hadn't seen her steal.

DragonSong

Luca frowned after the woman- he could see the shadow was a woman now- and started to follow her. He supposed it didn't really make sense, but he was a slave to his own curiosity. Why had she been doing that, taking little bags from people?

"Excuse me," he called when he was once more within earshot. "Uh, Miss? What are you doing?" It wasn't hard to keep up with her with long strides. Not quite as effective as a quick tail thrust through water, but he found he rather enjoyed the act of walking.

Juno

The sound of a voice sent a chill down her spine. No! He couldn't be stupid enough to draw attention to her. Ignore. It was best to just ignore him. For all she knew there was another "Miss" milling about. Perhaps the half-clothed man was leering at a whore. She wouldn't have been surprised in this town.

She resisted the urge to look back at the presence she felt so near at her back. To look was to admit guilt, to admit that she was avoiding him. Instead she hurried herself along at an even faster clip that couldn't possibly hope to outpace a man that towered over her so.

DragonSong

His frown deepened a bit. Had she not heard him? That didn't seem likely- he was right behind her.

Unsure of human customs, what may be considered polite or not, he reached out to grab her arm, then changed his mind and simply tapped her shoulder. "Hello? Are you deaf?" he asked, innocent curiosity in his tone.

Juno

She recoiled from the sudden touch, her hand reactively going for one of her knives as she finally cast a look back at him. She slowed and then stopped altogether, glaring as she turned to eye him, sizing him up best she could in the dark of night.

He was certainly tall, taller than she'd expected as she found herself craning her neck a bit to study his face. "No," she growled, deeming him no immediate threat as she whipped around to continue on her way.

Perhaps all he needed was a little rejection to give up. She didn't owe him any sort of explanation, it was bad enough that he'd seen her at all.

DragonSong

Shrugging a bit, Luca followed after her, undeterred. He wouldn't be thwarted so easily, not when there was something he wanted to find out.

"What were you doing?" he asked curiously, falling easily into step beside her. It wasn't so strange to him, so he couldn't quite understand why people they passed had began to throw odd or curious looks in their direction.

Juno

The familiar voice again had her bristling and raising her armed hand slightly. She lowered it just as quickly, though, there was no need to draw extra attention to an already painfully obvious pair.

"Why are you following me?" Awiergan countered, huffing at the gall of a stranger to poke his nose in her business. He wasn't being robbed or ripped off so what should he care about what she did?

DragonSong

He shrugged again, giving her a rather oblivious grin. "I'm curious. You're the most interesting thing I've come across all day." And seeing as he only had three nights to satisfy his curiosity, he was going to take advantage.

"So...what were you doing?" he persisted, tilting his head a bit so his loose hair fell back, revealing the rather odd, finned shape of one ear.

Juno

Because curiosity was a legitimate reason to follow a perfect stranger at night. Manners truly seemed to be a thing of the past.

She wasn't going to bother asking why she was interesting to him. For all she knew he was certifiably insane. "I was enjoying my evening until you came to ruin my good fun," she spat, turning to glower at the blissfully unaware stranger. What she saw was rather startling, though.

"What is that?" she demanded, eyes narrowing sharply as she stared at his exposed ear accusingly.

DragonSong

He blinked. "Oh. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to-" what was the phrase she'd used?- "ruin your fun," he said sincerely.

Her question caught him off guard. "Wait- what is what?" he asked, brow furrowing in confusion as he looked down at her. We're all land people this small? Or perhaps he was just taller than average...

Juno

"Don't play dumb with me. That," she stressed, raising her arm to point to the offending ear at the side of his head. No, this man was strange. She shouldn't have even been entertaining the thought of conversation with him anymore.

"Who are you? And what do you know about me?" Awiergan demanded, stubbornly refusing to believe an odd, half-clothed man with funny ears had just happened to find her interesting. It was clear enough he'd seen what she was doing and that was dangerous in itself.

DragonSong

"My ear?" Luca asked, confused, and reached up to touch the apparently offending piece of anatomy. It flicked away from his fingertips automatically and he frowned a bit. What was so odd about it? He supposed it didn't look like a human ear, but he'd never really given it much thought before.

"I'm called Luca," he answered her question a little distractedly. Then, with a shrug, "I don't know anything about you. That's why I wanted to talk to you."

Juno

"Luca... Right." It was certainly not a name of any hunter she was familiar with, but that didn't mean it was even his true identity. "What are you, Luca? And what do you even want to know?" she questioned, endlessly suspicious of the strange man that insisted upon following her.

"Because you're definitely not human. Not entirely at least," she accused him, as if it were some horrible crime for some halfling or other creature entirely to address her.

DragonSong

He shook his head in confirmation. "No, I'm not human," he said easily. He didn't offer any other information on that front though, simply smiling innocently. "And I just wanted to know what you were doing back there," he said jerking his head in the direction they'd come from.

His head tilted slightly to one side. "I suppose it must be very important, you seem quite irritated that I interrupted you. Sorry about that." He made no move to leave her alone though, at least not until his curiosity was satisfied.

Juno

His continued apologies but lack of exit was particularly grating. "Yes, quite irritated," she confirmed, grumbling again as she stepped out to try and walk away again without giving him any more information. She knew he could easily keep pace but what need was there to entertain someone who wished to interrogate her on the very street she had committed crimes? It was odd, all so very odd.

By now it seemed obvious he was certainly no vigilante if he couldn't manage to put together for himself what she'd been doing. Why it still interested him so much was what puzzled her, but he was just another stranger, another face that would quickly be forgotten as she moved on to something that might bring less attention to herself.

DragonSong

Not really having anything better to do- and curiosity still not fully satisfied- Luca once again followed after her.

"Is it a secret?" he asked, falling into step beside her. "Is that why you won't tell me?"

Juno

"You're a very persistent little imp, aren't you?" Awiergan scolded, her glare cold and unamused. She supposed he wasn't so little, though. "Why do you take such pleasure in pestering a stranger in the street?"

DragonSong

He blinked. "I'm not an imp," he replied automatically, though he wasn't quite sure he knew what that was. "I told you, I'm just curious," he said in response to the question, smiling obliviously. "If you'd just explain I'll stop pestering you." His smile was the picture of innocence.

Tags: