Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Untamed, Unbroken, Unbound [Rhi-Rhi]

Started by DragonSong, February 01, 2016, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

There had truly not been a moment since he'd called off that massacre of a fight when Lani had feared that warming his bed was why Qismat wanted her. But even so, just hearing him voice the idea--even knowing it was simply a cover for any unwanted prying--sent tension zinging through her.

She managed to wrangle the impulse under control in two breaths and just hoped the healer hadn't noticed.

She opened her mouth to say something to the healer about her warning to brace herself--probably something flippant--but before she could actually voice anything her skin began to heat, and then she felt flesh melding back together where it had been torn. It wasn't painful, exactly, but it certainly felt odd.

Lani made a noise that she would be hard pressed later to admit was rather like a cross between a moan and a sigh and swayed slightly on her feet, blinking sluggishly. She was abruptly quite tired.

"Whaa...?" She licked her lips and squinted, trying to focus through the strange haze. Oh, she did not care for this feeling at all. "What did...is that...it?"

That...really wasn't so bad, all things considered. Sure, she didn't like this woozy, groggy feeling, but the healer hadn't actually touched her all that much, and she'd consider that a win.

Rhindeer

If Ira noticed Lani's sudden fear, she didn't acknowledge it. More than likely even if she did, she would just have assumed it was discomfort over her current situation. Most folks didn't like having their wounds poked and prodded at, and who liked doctors even if they were the ones to patch you up?

Fortunately, it was a quick and uncomplicated mending. The cuts were clean and even, which meant she didn't have to do much extra work to seal the girl back up. Ira still took a moment to examine Lani's skin, smoothing her fingers over her shoulder lightly, and nodded to herself in satisfaction.

"That's it," she confirmed. "You might still be a little tender for a bit, but that should fade quickly with some rest. Remember, your body just did something that normally takes a good week or so to do--but in the span of seconds instead." She gave Lani a pointed look, because no one ever wanted to do the resting part for some reason, and then crossed over to Qismat as he held a small pouch out to her filled with coin.

It was more than what she charged. But she had been tending to him and his people long enough that it no longer shocked her, and she no longer protested.

"Are you in need of further service?" she asked, and when he confirmed it was enough, they exchanged parting pleasantries before, always quick and to the point, she bustled out the door to attend to whatever other patients she must have.

Qismat rose from his desk and stepped over to Lani, flicking a glance to her shoulder. "There, now. That wasn't so bad, was it? Don't you feel so much better now?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Lani made a noise that sounded vaguely like "Mmmrrrmmph," and glared at him for a moment before sighing and conceding his point with a slight nod.

"Yeah...I guess so." She glanced down at her shoulder and prodded the newly healed flesh curiously. It certainly felt tender, but it didn't hurt, precisely, which for some reason surprised her.

As though the healer had never given her that look indicating that she should take this seriously and actually rest, she flicked her eyes back up to meet Qismat's and quirked an eyebrow.

"So. Where do you need me?"

She wasn't built to sit still; she needed to be doing something.

Rhindeer

Hmm, yes, Qismat didn't think she was the sort to listen to doctor's orders. But now that she was healed and in no danger of keeling over from infection, he felt more comfortable letting her make her own choices like a big girl. If she wanted to push through the exhaustion and deal with the consequences later, well...that was her lesson to learn.

Stretching languidly, he pushed up from his seat and rose to his feet. He dipped a square of pita in some hummus to bring along with him, and then motioned for Lani to follow him.

"I'll take you to meet the stallion. I don't expect miracles over night, so don't work too hard." She was probably going to work harder, let's be real. "His name is Faraj and I was told he's about five years old, give or take."

He lead the way through the maze of corridors that made up his home, finally leading her out a back door and into the heat. Outdoors, there were plenty of native plants and trees to give cover, and the day was overcast, but after coming from his much cooler home, it was pretty nasty.

Just off the side of his home was another building, white just like his dwelling with a roof further protected and insulated with palm leaves. It was connected to a large, well-kept yard of several acres and kept shaded by many tall date palms and smaller fruit trees. The stable doors were open, letting the horses come and go as they pleased--by it looked like they were currently all sheltering in their stables.

Qismat lead the way to one particular stable and pointed to the black horse within. "There he is," he said. "My little terror."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Relieved that he wasn't going to lock her in her quarters or something to ensure she rested, Lani fell into step beside him as he led her through his home and back out onto the grounds.

"Faraj?" she repeated, letting the taste of the name linger on her tongue, making sure she was hitting the syllables correctly. "Does that mean something?"

She'd learned some Essyrni in the last few years, but she was by no means fluent. In fact, she often pretended to understand less than she actually did, just to piss off the pit masters.

That usually hadn't ended well, but the frustration on their faces was certainly satisfying in the moment.

She drew in a deep breath of fresh air as they approached the stables, enjoying the simple freedom of being outside. Outside and not in the damned arena. She was so lost in the moment that it actually took Qismat's voice to snap her back to the task at hand.

"Little terror?" She smirked as she eyed the animal, evaluating. "What's the biggest issue? Does he just not like humans?"

Rhindeer

"Faraj means 'joy after sadness', more or less. I thought it was fitting. I don't know his history, but his behavior tells me it wasn't a happy one, and I hope to give him a much happier future."

Even as he spoke, Faraj was watching them from his stall with large, intelligent eyes, though his ears were pinned back in distrust. He snorted, one foot stamping the ground anxiously as they approached, and he turned his back on the two.

"He doesn't really like anyone. He's very...bitey. He plays well with the other ponies, and he doesn't seek violence--see how he simply walks away? He just doesn't want to be touched by people. I've had some folk try to train him before, but..." 

Qismat made a face. "After a couple broken ribs and one nasty bite, I figured it was best to leave him be. I don't need to ride him. I'd just like it if he'd be...kinder. It makes it difficult when it comes to health checks and such."

DragonSong

"Mmmmm..." Lani observed the horse quietly for a few moments, watching the movements of his haunches, how long it took him to unpin his ears--and how he kept them twisted back toward the sound of their voices.

She didn't move closer, but she was clearly addressing the stallion when she called softly in her mother tongue, "I'm not here to hurt you, Faraj."

His ears twitched, then pinned again.

She nodded, considering. Abruptly, she turned to Qismat and said, "I can start working with him now, but you may want to get some distance."

Rhindeer

She didn't have to tell him twice. If there was one thing Qismat didn't mess with, it was large, intimidating animals that could crush his skull with a well-aimed kick. Horses. For a man who had so many horses, he would have been lying if he said even the tame ones didn't still make him nervous. 

With a nod, he quickly put distance between himself and Faraj's stable. "You seem very confident," he said cautiously, unable to keep a note of concerned skepticism from his voice. "You've really done this before? On aggressive horses?"

DragonSong

"My first horse nearly killed me," Lani replied bluntly, but in a tone that somehow said she didn't hold the animal any ill will. "He was properly wild—I wanted to prove I could form a partnership with him, as my mother had done with her best mare." She shrugged as she approached Faraj's stall. The horse pinned his ears and flashed his teeth, but she kept talking, keeping her tone low and even—it wasn't the words that were important, so she found herself telling the story as she slowly, slowly moved to open the stall door.

"I followed his herd for a few days, sticking close but not making myself a threat. Eventually, he approached me. It was alright at first, but then I moved too fast—I think I was reaching to fix my quiver, but he thought I was trying to touch him." She smiled fondly in remembrance as she opened the door. Faraj backed up with a low, thrumming sound of warning—but she didn't enter the stall, just took a few steps back and to the side, giving him full view of the opportunity before him. "He lashed out. Would have cracked my skull, but I rolled out of the way. Took a few more days before he was willing to get close to me again."

Faraj whickered softly and she cast her eyes down and to the side with a low sigh, keeping her body loose and relaxed. Cautiously, the horse began to edge his way out of the stall. When she still didn't move near him, he seemed to accept that she wasn't an immediate threat and started to clop off in search of good grazing.

"He was a proud thing," Lani murmured, and took a step after Faraj. His ears flicked back towards her, and she stopped. He continued his meandering search. "Didn't stay with our tribe. I would see him in the springs, though, when his herd would travel through the same part of the plains as us."

She took a sharp step forward, clicking her tongue, and Faraj trotted away a few steps. Lani's pace was even, unthreatening, but unrelenting. She kept following him, keeping a few lengths between them, but persistently behind him.

Faraj at first just seemed confused. He kept glancing back at her, but when she didn't do anything overtly predatory, he started to pin his ears at her and occasionally whip around to move in a different direction.

Lani just kept following. Every once in a while, she would coo or click softly. She seemed to have forgotten that Qismat was there.

And then Faraj bobbed his head, half twisting his neck to look back at her, and she said sharply over her shoulder, "Stay back." Just in case her new employer had thought getting closer was a good idea.

The horse whirled around and charged her, ears pinned and heels kicking. Lani held perfectly still.

Faraj snaked his neck forward—then jerked to the side at the last moment, nipping at the air just beside her left arm.

He circled to her right, watching her, then charged again. This time, Lani took a step toward him, calling a sharp, "Ha!" that sent him veering around her again.

This repeated twice more before Faraj stopped snapping at the air around her, then another time before his ears seemed to start to unpin. It was at that point that Lani seemed to start...directing him. Turning slightly in place so when he cantered toward her—cantered, now, not charged—his veering to the side became more of a gentle curve. And then he was circling her, neck curved. Now, when he started to turn like he was going to run toward her again, she would take that step and say that sharp "Ha!", and he would snort and continue in his circle.

It lasted nearly a full ten minutes before Faraj dropped his head and started chomping at the air.

Lani put her back to him.

There was a moment of stillness when the horse came to a stop. Perfect stillness. Then, cautiously, he approached her back. One step after another, even and measured.

He nosed at her shoulder, and Lani smiled for a moment before she turned her head and exhaled gently over his nose. Faraj snorted and bobbed his head—then spun away and trotted off, flicking his tail.

Lani huffed quietly before she turned and made her way back toward where she'd left Qismat. "It's a start," she said with a small shrug. "I don't know if he'll ever be rideable, but he wants to connect. He's just scared."

Rhindeer

Oh goddess, please tell him he hadn't just saved the girl from lions only to send her off into a new arena to get killed by a horse. But Lani seemed so sure of herself, so confident, and Qismat liked to think he knew people enough to recognize someone who would run off to do what they wanted regardless of what he thought about it. Stubborn, so stubborn...but he let her work, even as a spike of anxiety caught his breath as she went into that stall. It was uncomfortable to spectate--but he would not intervene.

She was not his slave, after all.

Lani was speaking as casually as a storyteller around a campfire but Qismat barely heard her. He could focus on little else but she and Faraj, while mentally running through some quick worst case scenarios and regretting sending the healer away. From what he did catch of her tale, though, he was grateful at least to hear she had quick reflexes. 

Hopefully captivity hadn't dulled them.

Out into the yard they went, and so far so good, Lani was still unscathed. This seemed better than the stall; both of them had more space. But true to Qismat's observations, Faraj largely just wanted to be left alone. He wasn't a bad horse and he knew it, he wasn't mean because it was his nature, and he clearly didn't want to start a fight--though Qismat knew from past attempts that he would gladly finish it. He kept his distance while Lani calmly followed, and Qismat hardly realized she had stopped talking as he was gripped with both curiosity (what was her plan, exactly?) and unease.

When Lani told him to stay back, he didn't have to be told twice; he hadn't moved from his spot.

And it took everything in him not to shout out when the horse charged her.

And she just took it with stillness.

Qismat didn't realize he'd brought his hand to his mouth until his fingertip stung, because he'd bit the nail too close to the quick. Faraj hadn't hurt her; it had been a warning, a feint. But again and again he charged, and each time he braced for a disaster that didn't come until, finally, Qismat let out a held breath and forced himself to relax. Faraj didn't want to hurt her, but more than that, something was happening between the two of them. The charge was becoming more like a dance, Lani less a passive participant and more of a leading role, calmly assertive and confident. Faraj's ears were no longer pinned, and...was she directing him, now?

He watched the two, no longer tense with anxiety and more just...curious. There seemed to be an understanding between the two of them as they spoke a language he couldn't understand--plains girl and plains horse.

Hmm...

Stillness soon followed, and then the impossible: Faraj reached out to Lani.

And then he was off, and the magic dispelled.

Lani returned, acting for all the world like she hadn't just faced down a thousand pound beast that could stomp her into a pulp if she looked at him wrong. He let out a held breath as she spoke, nodding--scared, right, well he had scared the shit out of him for a moment there!--and for a moment he said nothing, seeming to mull something over.

"Do you want him?" he said at last.

DragonSong

Lani was looking back over her shoulder, keeping a casual eye on where Faraj had gone. Much the same way the horse was doing with her, flicking his ears back in their direction every so often but otherwise seemingly content to rip up clumps of grazing and swat flies with brisk snaps of his tail. 

"Hm?" She looked back to Qismat, clearly distracted--and then the realization of what he'd just said seemed to hit her like a lightning bolt. The change that came over her face was immediate and drastic: eyes going wide, lips parting, all the harsh edges and lines of her semi-permanent frown smoothing out to be replaced with sheer shock. 

She tried to shutter it as quickly as she could, but there was still at least one long breath where she just stared at him. 

She cleared her throat and looked away. "I don't--ahem." Oh sweet gods. Was she tearing up? It felt like she was tearing up. "I'm not sure that horse will ever properly belong to anyone," she forced herself to say in as dry and even a tone as she could manage. 

Did she want him? This terrified, desperate creature wrenched from his home to suffer through only the gods knew what sort of torment before he miraculously found himself here, under the inexplicably kind eye of this soft merchant prince?

She didn't want this horse--she was this horse. And that feeling of connection was both a draft of water in the desert, and a blade into her spine. 

She was really, really worried that she might be tearing up...