Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Untamed, Unbroken, Unbound [Rhi-Rhi]

Started by DragonSong, February 01, 2016, 03:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Lani offered a small smile. "I appreciate that," she said quietly. "But really, I don't need much. A bed is more than I could have expected."

She took another bite of something leafy and almost groaned at the sheer delight of eating real food. Good food.

Rhindeer

"We'll see about that," Qismat said with a smile as he finished off a piece of baklava. "Perhaps a visit to the market is in order. I know you must be unused to having much, being a slave and all, but your room should feel a little more...personalized than a cell. Besides," he added, giving her a measuring look.

"You'll at the very least need new clothes."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

"I...wouldn't say no to that." Lani offered a very small, slow smile. "Thank...you."

She glanced down at herself and added wryly, "And I'm sure you don't exactly want some raggedy gladiator wandering around your home. New clothes might help with that image."

Rhindeer

"That is also true," Qismat said with an amused twist to his lips. "It wouldn't look very good if I had one of my own wandering about in rags--even a slave." And that amused smile turned sour, his eyes rolling. "It reflects poorly on the master when the state of their property doesn't reflect their wealth."

He finished off his baklava and licked his fingers clean. "In all seriousness, though, I do want you to be comfortable." He nodded to her plate. "How's dessert?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

DragonSong

Once again, Lani found herself uttering an almost foreign sounding, "Thanks."

She glanced at her own plate- picked clean- and gave him a wry smile. "You know, I think it would've been delicious even if I hadn't been near starving." She dipped her head to him. "Remind me to thank the cook around here."

Rhindeer

Qismat bit back his smile. Only hours ago, she'd been spitting mad and grossly impolite and suspicious, and now she was nothing but gracious. Food truly was the most potent magic!

"Oh, you'll have ample opportunity to do just that! But for now, if you're finished, I'm sure you'll want to bathe." He swept his eyes over her and clicked his tongue. "There's nothing worse than sliding between clean sheets when you're filthy. Ah, mind you, that isn't a slight against you. I know those brutes hardly care about the hygiene of the people they're sending into the ring to die."

DragonSong

That made her laugh, even if the sound was slightly bitter.

"Don't apologize, you're right," she chuckled, glancing down at herself. Wrinkling her nose a bit, she glanced around and muttered, "Don't really fit in among all this finery, do I?"

She shook her head briskly, then stood. "Where should I go to bathe...milord?" She still wasn't quite sure how to address him, and she just couldn't quite bring herself to use his name.

Rhindeer

"Oh, please! Qismat will do just fine," Qismat said with a laugh, holding up his hands. "Titles are for formal occassions. I like to be comfortable  in my own home."

Rising to his feet, he motioned for her to follow as the servants closed in to clear the table. "You can use my personal bath house. It's right this way, near my quarters and not far from yours. All my staff are welcome to it--it's far too large for just me. But you'll find it rather quiet and private most of the time."

DragonSong

Lani got quickly to her feet to follow him, giving a few awkward nods to the servants. "That's...very generous of you," she murmured as she trailed along behind him.

She was becoming more and more convinced that this was some sort of prolonged hallucination. Or perhaps she really had died in the arena- no, that couldn't be right. Surely she wouldn't go to an afterlife as pleasant as this.

Her eyes started to wander as she followed Qismat. Well, she may as well take advantage while she had the chance, so she figured she should learn the layout of the place.

And there was just so much to look at, she was rather mesmerized.

Rhindeer

It wasn't a long walk to the bath house, which was opulent as the rest of Qismat's home--as though having a private bath house weren't impressive enough! Most Essyrni had to use public ones, and baths that used water were, for most, few and far between.

He lead Lani through the arched double doors leading to it and into a massive chamber with a high ceiling supported by ornate pillars. And there, in the center of the room, was a large, clear pool, kept clean by a channel that flowed in and out of the room. Lotus flowers floated lazily on the surface, and the air smelled fragrant, like flowers and fruit.

Qismat stole a look at Lani, trying to keep his face neutral, but inside he was dying to see her reaction. He had to admit, he kind of lived for it. Maybe because he got to live vicariously through those he aided; no one had ever whisked him out of the slums and into opulence. "You're free to visit here as often as you like. Ah, if you've never visited a bath house before, be sure to rinse before you enter."

He motioned to a little room off to the side, which contained a bucket, a scrub, and a grate in the floor for water to drain. "Fill the bucket and use it to scrub off the dirt and rinse, then enter the pool. There's oils and soaps in baskets by the edge, and you're welcome to them."

DragonSong

She actaually stopped dead, he jaw dropping open and eyes wide as she got a look at what he called a "bath" and what she probably would have referred to as a "fancy indoor lake".

"I- this is- ahem. Wow." She blinked at Qismat, and suddenly seemed a little nervous. "Are you, ah...sure?"

She felt very...unclean to be standing in such a place.

Which she supposed was the point, but it still made her fidgety. Although, the water did look awfully tempting- and when was the last time she'd actually been allowed to bathe?

Rhindeer

"Well, I wouldn't have brought you here and told you to use it freely if I wasn't sure," Qismat said with an amused smile. "It's here to be used, not to be looked at. Go ahead. Enjoy it."

And then, realizing he was just sort of standing there and her hesitance might be for want of privacy, he cleared his throat and took a step back. "I'll have a servant deliver you fresh clothes, but don't feel like you need to rush. If you need anything, pull that cord over there," he said, motioning to a golden, tasseled rope near the bath's edge. "I have some business to attend, but I'll be about."

DragonSong

"Um... Thank you." Lani hesitated a moment longer, then stepped into the small side room and started stripping, not particularly caring if Qismat could still see her or not. Finally believing she was actually allowed to be here, she was anxious to get in the water.

Even before she became a slave she'd never undertaken the task of bathing quite like this. She supposed it made sense that she had to rinse off first- otherwise wouldn't she just be sitting in her own wet dust and dirt? Ich.

Still, it was a process she was unfamiliar with, and she took her time before eventually poking her head back out into the main room and scurrying toward the pool, submerging herself as quickly as possible. It wasn't so much that she was shy, or the idea of being seen naked was embarrassing- though she did bear an awful lot of scars- it was more the sense of vulnerability that she was uncomfortable with.

However, her brain seemed to quit functioning properly once she was in the water and the oddly soothing, floral scent surrounded her. "Oh..."

Yeah, a girl could get used to this.

Rhindeer

Qismat caught a glimpse, but only a quick one--enough to see that wicked scar on her back, and cringe at the thought of how she must have received it--before he peeled his eyes away and retreated. The last thing he wanted was to peep and make her uncomfortable, or take advantage of his station--and her--in any way. Poor thing. He sincerely hoped he could help her, and maybe even see her returned to whatever home she'd been taken from.

Though he also knew, deep inside, that that wasn't always a possibility. Most of his staff were former slaves he'd bought--and while many stayed because they wanted to, because he gave them work and a home and freedom, some stayed because they simply had nowhere else to go. Some had no homes to return to, as the survivors of caravan raids. Some were sold by their own families. Some were criminals, however petty. They all had their stories, and not all of them were happy--of the ones he'd heard.

Some wouldn't even speak of their past.

But for now, he retreated to his quarters to go over his ledgers, and summoned a servant to deliver Lani fresh clothes.

Soon enough, the doors to the bathhouse opened again and a light-skinned, foreign girl stepped inside, carrying a bundle of clothes in her arms. "I'm sorry to interrupt, Miss Lani, but Prince Nejem wanted these delivered to you," she announced as she entered.

DragonSong

"Mph!"

She'd actually started to doze off, which was completely unlike her in such unfamiliar surroundings. Sputtering and blushing, Lani floundered her way to the side of the pool and started to climb out.

"You're not interrupting. Thanks," she muttered, running her fingers through her hair and shaking her body like a dog ridding itself of water.

Her eyes roamed over the girl curiously as she took the clothes and she added in a slightly less hostile tone, "No need for the miss. Just Lani. Who're you?" She started to dress, adding almost as an afterthought, "And where can I find...Prince Nejem?"

She should probably report to him, right?

Rhindeer

"I am Bridget, Miss--er, Lani," the girl said, wincing at her slip. It was difficult to break certain habits, and as she had been born and raised in slavery, those habits were ingrained even deeper. It drove Qismat crazy, especially the way she was always flinching and over-apologizing as though expecting to be hit, but she couldn't help it!

"Prince Nejem can be found in his study, Mi--ah, I'm sorry, Lani. But if you have need of him, he doesn't bar our entry, and he won't hit you for interrupting."

The way she said it, it was like it was something she was used to. Something she expected. His was the first home she'd had where she'd never been beat.

DragonSong

Lani tried to smile kindly at the girl as she kept slipping up, but the expression was long out of practice and she wasn't quite sure that she actually pulled it off. "Look, if it's too difficult not to, you can call me "miss" if you want," she offered a little awkwardly.

He wouldn't hit her for interrupting. "Well that's good. Not sure how much of a punch the guy could really pull off anyway," she muttered as she finished dressing. "Thanks, Bridget. It's, uh, nice to meet you."

She tried for the smile again, then slipped out of the bathhouse and went off in search of Qismat's study. She didn't really want to bother him, but she'd realized she didn't actually know where she was meant to be staying in this house.

Rhindeer

Qismat was, indeed, in his study, a candle lit on his desk and his cheek cradled in a hand. Currently, he was just sort of staring and the numbers on the page, quietly zoning out.

Once he had become a "prince", he had had to, eventually, learn things like maths and business and how to manage a home, and he had hired a tutor to teach him. Before that, he had hired someone to keep his books for him so he didn't have to--until he'd discovered the man pilfering funds from him from under his nose. No, it was better to learn it for himself, and he had--but that didn't mean he had ever grown to like it or find it anything other than mind-numbingly dull.

And so it was that when he heard someone shuffling outside his door, he snapped upright, eager to for a distraction.

"Yes? Do you need something?" he called out behind him, twisting in his seat to look.

DragonSong

Lani sort of jumped- which was ridiculous, she was the one who'd sought him out- and shuffled her feet awkwardly in the doorway. "I, uh, I was just wondering..."

She coughed and glanced away, a small frown tugging at her brow. "I didn't exactly know where to go, from the baths," she muttered. Her hair was still dripping, which she hadn't actually realized until she noticed a small puddle was gathering around her feet. She swore quietly and tried to hold the choppy, damp mess back with her hand.

"Your girl- Bridget- told me I could find you here."

Rhindeer

Qismat's eyes dropped to the growing puddle, and then raised back to Lani's face, an amused look in his eyes as she tried in vain to stop her hair's dripping. Oh dear...

"Did...did you wear those clothes in the bath?"