Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

rubber and elastic in SotE

Started by Aeytrious, April 25, 2016, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeytrious

I love to give people a little info on things that are relevant to the era we RP here. The medieval time that we play in doesn't have rubber or elastic for clothing. Everything uses buttons or other fasteners to close, and stockings or socks are held up by garter belts. yes, men did wear garter belts. Not just on their legs for socks either. They were sometimes worn on the upper arm to hold sleeves that had been rolled up, in which case they are called 'stays'. The only cases of rubber before the late 1700's and early 1800's are in the creation of rubber balls, by native tribes. So aside from that, there is no rubber, or elastic in our wonderful world of SotE. What does this mean for us? No elastic waistbands, no elastic hair ties, no rubber bands, no rubber washers or rubber sealant to create water/air tight seals, no condoms ;), and the list goes on and on. Of course, being the amazing world of SotE, we get to use magic to overcome these obstacles. I'm excited to see what people come up with.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

FlowyWolf

Well, thanks for the information!
Honestly, I didn't think at all about this before, so you've probably saved me from doing a lot of mistakes!  :P