Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Rolling the Dice Against a Stacked Deck

Started by Zero, July 11, 2016, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

Open by request ONLY! PM if interested in joining.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't the fanciest inn that Elysia had ever played in, but it sure as heck wasn't the worst either. From what she'd seen so far at least the place was reasonably clean and was without the stench of piss or vomit.

The innkeeper was a nice enough sort too, letting her barter for room and board for the night. All she had to do was play her lute, sing, and recite poetry. Not a bad deal for either of them. She got a warm, dry bed to sleep in, plus hot food, and the innkeeper got to watch his customers linger to listen and dance to her performance. The longer they stayed, the more drinks they bought, and the more money the innkeeper made.

Some of the men tried to buy her drinks too, and her lute case had a smattering of coins in it to boot. A good day for a young bard, indeed! The only downside was the locals only really loved a handful of songs, so she ended up singing the same folktales over and over again. Great for them, mind-numbingly boring for her. At least it freed up her mind for actually observing her audience. There were some guys with cards that had been gambling at one of the tables all evening, but they didn't seem to be attracting a lot of attention.

She didn't know a lot about gambling, to be honest. Sure, she found that a lot of inn common rooms had at least a few games of cards or dice going on, some people just liked to risk their coin for a chance to gain a lot. Elysia figured coin in the hand was worth more than potential coin, so she played and minded her own business anytime she encountered gamblers. Today wouldn't have been any different, except the merry mood in the room changed abruptly when a fist loudly struck a table and the word cheater rang out.

Her fingers faltered on the notes as she stopped singing and turned to look with everyone else at the table of men. Elysia had no idea if the guy was cheating or if the accuser was just a sore loser, but either way an angry crowd was not a good thing. Bad for business and bad for your health too, if you were the one about to get your face smashed in, which kind of looked like what would happen to the poor guy that had been accused of cheating.

Now, if one were to listen to logic and reason, one would stay out of it. Except Elysia was a bit more impulsive than reasonable, and she hated to see someone get the tar beat out of them. Violence was seriously not her thing! Hopping down from her seat, the little bard hurriedly interjected herself into the middle of the mess. "Hey now, let's not get all riled up over a handful of coins. Why don't you let me buy you a drink there big fella and we can all cool off and go back to having a good time, right? You know, singing and dancing and nobody fighting!"

DaGlobster

Sometimes, Herrick thought he was just too damn good at cards for his own good. He'd played them with the best and worst, at smuggler hideouts hidden in Thanati caves and Essyrni gambling dens with more luxury per square foot than most castles. In all his years of thievery and skullduggery, the one thing that had remained constant was that you never quite knew what the average, everyday man will do during a game of cards.

Smugglers will try to cheat, Essyrni hosts will try to hawk as much of your losses into their pockets as possible while keeping things civilized, and apparently, the surly brute in front of him preferred to try and recover his losses via accusation.

Not a bad strategy at all, and with Herrick, there was always a decent chance the accusation could be correct.

Before Herrick could defend himself, none other than the bard herself stepped in to try and prevent the man from attempting to beat Herrick's face in. In actuality, all this truly accomplished was turning his rage from Herrick to her.

"What, are you colluding with him? Huh?"

From the bellow in his voice and the red on his face, it'd be plain to see that the man was belligerently drunk. Herrick didn't quite appreciate the tone he had with her, and he stood up. He slugged the man in the face, and he stumbled away from Elysia and caught himself against a table.

"Oi! That's my mate!"

Someone grabbed Herrick's shoulder and wheeled him about, clocking him in the face. Similarly, he stumbled backwards and into Elysia.

Zero

It certainly wasn't the smartest decision she'd ever made, but Elysia hadn't even paused to consider that they would turn on her. All she wanted was to keep a fight from breaking out. When the red-faced drunk turned on her with his spittle spewing accusation she took a step back quickly, raising her hands defensively.

"Wha-?" How could they think she had anything to do with it? All she had done was sing and play her lute all day.

That was really all the thought she could muster on the matter, because it was about that time all hell seemed to break loose. So much for warding off a fight! Elysia squeaked when Herrick stood and punched the aggressive drunk right in the face. It was a heroic effort she made to scramble backwards out of the way, but all for naught.

Herrick was knocked backwards and right into her. Elysia was more than a foot shorter than him and probably weighed a hundred pounds.

Maybe.

It was a heck of a collision, one that sent her careening backwards, crashing into a table and taking it down with her when she grabbed it in an ill-fated (and failed) attempt not to fall completely down. Elysia yelped in pain when her hip smacked against the floor.

DaGlobster

Herrick sort of went with Elysia. She was just small enough that she didn't really have all that much effect on his monentum, although Herrick managed to keep his footing. He glanced down at the fallen bard, and winced sympathetically.

"I'm sorry, I--"

He cut off to duck a swing, and around them, a bar fight erupted. Some people were just looking for an excuse, others were drunk enough to misunderstand the situation and stood up to fight.

He countered and tossed the man who swung at him over his hip, sending him crashing through a table. He ducked down to offer Elysia a hand.

"--Can't stand it when a guy muscles up to a lady. Need a hand?"

Zero

Elysia cursed softly under her breath, rubbing tenderly at the spot that had hit the hardwood that made up the inn floor. It hurt, and she'd probably earned herself a nice little bruise on her backside for her troubles, but she was pretty positive nothing was broken.

Her storm-grey eyes were still wide from surprise when she looked up at Herrick, who started to apologize to her, before a full blown brawl erupted around them.

This was so bad.

And probably a little bit her fault for sticking her nose in. Well, she was only trying to help! Now she had a bruised butt and she suddenly realized that she stank of ale. Probably because she was soaked, practically dripping with the reeking booze. Yuck. Must have been from the table she knocked over on herself.

Given that there was sort of a huge fight going on, Elysia had figured that the gambler this had all started with would probably be too busy to notice her anymore. She was a little surprised when he sent a guy flying right before turning back to her.

"Buh?" Yes, she was definitely an eloquent bard all right.

Her eyes widened a fraction when someone threw a chair at them. Well, they were probably throwing it at him, but still.

DaGlobster

Herrick reacted just in time, grabbing Elysia by the shoulder and tugging her aside just as the chair went spinning past and smashed into someone else. The man who threw the chair was quickly accosted by someone else, and Herrick took the opportunity to haul Elysia up to her feet.

"Keep your head down," he said, and he did the same, keeping low so he didn't accidentally make eye contact with anybody who didn't already have someone to fight.

In a few tense moments, he'd slipped the both of them out of the door, and when he did so, he leaned against the wall next to it, and then glanced over to Elysia.

"You alright?"

Zero

Having a chair sail past her head, one that only missed because Herrick had pulled her out of the way, snapped Elysia out of her semi-shock. She scrambled to her feet, well, more like she was dragged to her feet, but she tried to do it herself.

Hunching her shoulders and ducking her head, Elysia let herself be led through the chaos and out the door. The middle of a drunken brawl really was no place for a bard like her. She hated violence.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Uh...thanks." Elysia blinked over at him sheepishly. Honestly between the accusation and him attempting to help her, she'd really not taken the time to really look at him. She had to look up. Way up. God she hated being so short. "Sorry, I was trying to help but I think I just made a bigger mess of things."

DaGlobster

Herrick chuckled at her words.

"Honestly, I don't think you changed that much," Herrick said, nonchalantly ignoring the sounds of chaos coming from within.

"I get the feeling he was going to get aggressive anyways. Would've had the same result."

He looked at Elysia, and his smirk dissipated slightly.

"Shame about the tavern. What say you and me go to another?"

Zero

"You think so?" Well if she hadn't made matters worse then Elysia figured she didn't have much to feel bad about. It made sense, wouldn't be the first time she witnessed drunk fools itching for a fight ignite an entire room into total anarchy.

If anything she felt bad for the owner of the building. He was going to have one hell of a mess to clean up.

"Really? That one wasn't enough for ya?" Some of her things were still inside, and the innkeeper owed her room and board - Elysia had been performing for hours already! She winced as the sounds of something breaking reached past the door. Well...maybe it would be better to come back later after things had settled back down. "You buying? My money's still inside and I ain't going after it."

It'd be gone by the time she got back. No doubt.

DaGlobster

"Buying's the least I could do," Herrick said, and he put one of his hands in his pocket.

"I know a nice place just down the street."

Zero

"Might as well, it'll be a while before I can go back in there." Elysia gestured at the door, making a face. Yeah, in a few hours when everyone had cooled their tempers she could go get her stuff sorted. Until then there wasn't anything better to do.

"Oh yeah," she started, shaking her head with a laugh as she thrust her hand out towards him, "Name's Elysia."

DaGlobster

"Herrick," he said, and he gave her hand a friendly shake.

"You been playing long?"

Zero

"Playing, singing, dancing, juggling, so on and so forth for as long as I could crawl," she grinned, shaking his hand before pulling away and stepping into the street, "Of course only been doing it professionally for a few years, but my family said I always had a flare for theatrics. Did you like the show?"

Surely he'd listened to at least some of her performance between all that gambling. She did love feedback. It was the only way to get better, and she so wanted to be the very best.

DaGlobster

"Oh, it was lovely," Herrick said, smiling warmly.

"I've been all over the continents and Thanatos and yours is a rare kind of music," he continued.

Zero

"Now you're just trying to butter me up for something." Elysia accused him with a teasing waggle of her finger and a cheeky grin. "But thanks, glad you liked it. Even if it was mostly just little folksy tunes. That's what they like around here."

DaGlobster

"What? It's the truth," Herrick said, returning her finger waggle with a slight grin.

"I thought the tunes were nice. There's a time for a drinking song and a time for a serenade."

Zero

"Well I wasn't expecting to do any opera or something, but I know a lot more little tavern tunes from all over the place. They only wanted to hear, like, the same six! Small little towns, I guess." Elysia shrugged her shoulders.

She ran both hands through her hair, mussing it into a little pixie mess and tossing him another grin. "Sooo, Herrick, what about you? Make a habit of rescuing damsels in distress?"

DaGlobster

Herrick laughed.

"I like to help out where I can," he said.

"I don't think "trampled by fighting bar patrons" is a good look for you."

Zero

"Hey now, I think I could pull off just about any look if I tried hard enough! Although yeah, trampled doesn't sound fun to work with." Elysia chuckled, shaking her head slightly, but there was a skip in her step. "So what brings you too...whatever the name of this little town is?"

DaGlobster

Herrick chuckled, picturing Elysia trying to pull off "disheveled and roughed up" as a legitimate look.

"Just passing through, actually," Herrick said, and he stretched out a bit, taking a deep breath of the cool night air.