Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Rolling the Dice Against a Stacked Deck

Started by Zero, July 11, 2016, 03:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero

"Yeah, I'm always just passing through." Elysia tilted her head, looking at him with pursed lips. "So if you're just passing through is there somewhere in particular you're headed?"

DaGlobster

"Yup. Heading to the coast," he said. After a few more moments, they were coming up on the other inn, which looked considerably tamer and more reputable than the one she'd been playing at prior.

"And you?"

Zero

"I'm a bard, I go where my whims take me." Elysia could head in any direction she wanted from here, it really didn't matter too much. There were people any way she went and people meant money.

She spotted the inn and practically bounced up the steps. It was a nice place, but that's why she hadn't been here before. The better the inn the more expensive it was. Sure, the people inside probably would have tipped better, but she doubted the owner would have let her have room and board in exchange for her performing for a few hours.

DaGlobster

Herrick followed her up the steps.

"We're not too different," he said as he walked to the door and pushed it open for her.

"I can make money most places I go. Sticking to one place's never really sounded like a good idea to me."

Zero

"Nothing wrong with staying in one place, if that's what you want to do. I just never thought it sounded like all that much fun." Elysia ducked past him into the building, looking around curiously.

"Although something tells me we don't make money the same way. You don't strike me as the guy to be sitting at the center of attention strumming a lute and singing a tune." She bit her lip and hesitated just inside, not sure exactly where to go.

DaGlobster

Herrick smirked.

"You're right," he said as she walked past him. He came in behind her and gave her shoulder a pat, walking past her and motioning to follow as he headed for the bar.

The inside of this inn was nicer than the other place in pretty much every single sense of the word. Better looking clientele, an actual bar, and tables that didn't look like they were assembled from a carpenter's surplus wood.

Zero

Elysia had been in nice places before, but really, the other one hadn't been so bad. Okay, it was pretty shambly in comparison to here, but beggers and choosers and all that.

"I bet the ale in this place doesn't taste like watered down piss..." She muttered, following him to the bar and hopping onto a stool to make herself comfortable. "Why were you over on the shady side of town if you could have come here to begin with?"

DaGlobster

Herrick set himself down on the stool next to her, and turned to face her.

"Call it a mix of humility and a job requirement," Herrick said.

"I like to keep my ear to the ground."

Zero

"Humble and a hero?" Elysia chuckled.

She put her chin in her hand, elbow resting on the bar as she studied him. "So what kind of job requires you to gamble with drunken low-life guys eager to start a fight?"

DaGlobster

"I'm... an adventurer of sorts," Herrick said, and he looked about ready to say something else when the bartender approached, an expectant look on his face.

"I'll take some stout," Herrick said, and he looked to Elysia.

Zero

"That's a broad term. I'm an adventurer too." Elysia pointed out with a grin, but she perked up as the bartender appeared to take their orders. "I'll have what he's having, please."

Alcohol was alcohol to her, really.

DaGlobster

Herrick grinned at her words.

"I go into dangerous places and come out with valuables. It's like..."

He rotated his wrist a bit as he searched for words.

"Reclamation. Bringing things back out to the people. For a nominal fee, of course."

Zero

"Oh yeah, of course. Can't go putting yourself into dangerous places for free." It was hard to say if she was being sarcastic or not.

"So is that what you're doing here, then? Doesn't seem like there'd be too many super dangerous places around here. Except maybe the place we just came from." Elysia made a face, something between distaste and scowl. "All my money will be gone. I'll be lucky if any of my stuff's still there when I go back."

DaGlobster

Herrick frowned slightly at her words, and the distaste in her words rang with him. He frowned slightly as well, and put a hand on the counter in front of her.

"I'm sorry about that, I feel terrible breaking up your night like that," Herrick said, giving her a sympathetic look.

"I know the feeling."

Their drinks arrived, and Herrick's expression perked up a bit, and he pulled his flagon a bit closer.

"You're gonna let me pay you back, right?"

Zero

"Well I wouldn't exactly say that you broke it up." He'd been accused of cheating, but whether it was true or not didn't make much of a difference. It was the other guy that had started the fight that ran them out.

"Pay me back?" Elysia questioned as she brought her drink up to take a swig, making a quick face at the burning sensation. "For what?"

DaGlobster

"For your stuff, you're probably gonna lose it," Herrick said, giving her a weak smile. He sighed, and his usual expression returned.

"I know it was the other guy who started it, but I threw the first punch, I feel partially responsible."

He looked to her, and sipped his drink.

"Didn'l like the way he was moving up on you."

Zero

"I'm a tiny girl travelling alone across the world. How many times do you think I've lost my stuff? It isn't your fault, so try not to feel bad." Elysia reached over to pat his arm gently.

"Yeah, well if he'd have touched me he'd have regretted it." She sighed, taking another sip of her drink. This time she didn't make a face.

DaGlobster

Herrick's eyebrow cocked up a bit, but he made no mention of it. He took a healthy swig, letting himself loosen up a bit more.

He looked to her, and his characteristic grin returned.

"How long you been playing for?"

Zero

"Since I could hold an instrument. As a way of life, about two years now. I think. It's all I've ever wanted to do. See all the places I could, collect all the stories, meet as many people as possible, and become a famous bard. If I do that, maybe I could even perform for the Queen herself!" Elysia beamed at the very prospect, before taking another drink.

DaGlobster

"Well, if you can pluck strings like you say you can, I'd say that you can definitely do it," Herrick said, giving her an encouraging nod before he swigged some more.