Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Lessons From the Devil and the Plowman [M]

Started by DragonSong, August 04, 2016, 12:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

She rolled her eyes and gave Vance a droll look. "Of course not." Her eyes flicked to Will, unsure if she should speak to him directly given how angry he'd been. She might set him off again, and the last thing they needed was to cause a scene.

Lion

Vance hadn't really been paying attention before at the redness surrounding Will's eyes. The skin around it was all blotchy and blood-stricken. The boy just kept his head down as the beer was delivered to the table and Vance looked to Aria.

"He'll be fine. Now, kid, you know you're gonna have to tell us what's up."

"I know," Will said.  He stared at his small mug of beer, although he didn't drink it right away. At first he took an experimental sniff, then downed a small dose of it.  And immediately scowled at it's flavor.

And Vance laughed.  "Taste that gross huh?  Even this watered down stuff?  You'll get used to it."

Like to kill mages?  Join the Order!
The Order of St. Agratha

Help Rebuild Connlaoth from the ashes of war!
The Red Legion

Jump in the water's fine!
Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"Life is a series of dogs." -George Carlin
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Aria rolled her eyes again. "Well don't force it on the kid," she muttered. Tilting her head, she flagged down another server and ordered two ciders and a stew- she really didn't feel like drinking, and it would probably be better for Will to have something in his stomach other than alcohol.

"Alright. Now what's crawled up your breeches?" she asked, twisting slightly to face Will.

Lion

"That man is a real rat bastard. He is the reason I'm out on the streets....  He had my family killed.  My da and my mother, they were tortured and killed.  By people like you, people that didn't care about where the money came from so long as they got paid," Will muttered bitterly. "I never saw my sister after that day.  She was only four when my parents died. I don't know what happened to her."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

"Go into battle determined to die and you will survive.  Go into battle hoping to live and surely you shall not." -Bushido proverb
"We must view with profound respect the infinite capacity of the human mind to resist the introduction of useful knowledge." -Thomas R. Lounsbury
"If a cosmic tree falls in the universal forest and nobody is evolved enough to hear it, does it make a sound?" -Unknown

DragonSong

Aria's heart clenched guiltily, but she tried not to let her expression change.

"I'm sorry," she murmured. "But I can't change your past. And you've got one thing wrong."

She glanced around the inn, a habit to make sure they weren't overheard. "I do care. I care if my targets got family, if they deserve to die. And If I judge them to be innocent, I won't take the job." Her lip curled. "And I certainly don't torture people."

She was under no illusions- she was no saint, she wasn't even really a good person. But she killed quick, and as painlessly as she could. At least she could claim that.

Finally, she clanged back at Will. "The truth is kid, if I don't take the job someone else will. There's plenty of people willing to use their blade for coin, no questions asked." She shrugged.

Lion

"What's his name?" Will asked abruptly, looking up at her. "I never did know his name...  But I remembered what he looked like."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

Lion

"Fareth..."  Will committed it to memory and looked forlornly at his beer.  "I think this stuff tastes like piss."

"You get used to it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

"Here." Aria pushed her own drink toward the boy. "Try this instead."

Lion

Will sniffed her drink and made a face.  "And this is any better?"

"You're really picky for an urchin," Vance commented.

"I can't help if I got standards. Unlike you, ruffian."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

She rolled her eyes. "It's cider. It's just made from apples, try it."

Lion

"It's....okay I guess," Will sulked and looked up to Aria. "So what are you gonna do now? You got your money. Whatcha gonna spend it on?"

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria rolled her eyes. "Food, probably. Maybe some traveling supplies." She quirked an eyebrow. "What, did you think I was gonna retire to some fabulous mansion in the capitol and spend my gold on bits of entertainment? I do this for a loving kid, and a poor one at that."

Lion

"I didn't think the two of you were such bums," Will admitted, and he actually smirked at the thought.

Vance was actually grinning himself at the comment and he chuckled. "You've got a smart mouth, kid. I like you. i mean, I don't but I do for now. I'm drunk. Probably."

"Speaking of traveling. It was a pleasure doing business with you, Aria.  And you, Will, I'm sure you'll find whatever hole you came out of and crawl back in it."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria cuffed the boy gently on the back of the head and muttered, "Watch yourself, lad."

She flicked her gaze to Vance and quirked an eyebrow. "You're leaving?" What the hell was she supposed to do with the kid? She couldn't very well just leave him in the tavern!

Lion

"Well, yeah," Vance said bluntly. "I did my part and got paid. That's what you had me around for wasn't it?" His brows raised a little and he shifted away from the table.

Will too stood. "Where are you going?  I wanna go too."

"No. You stay and enjoy your drink, and your food.  And then...I dunno, do whatever you want. But I go my own way kid."

The Order of St. Agratha

The Red Legion

Desert Valley Nights
Wrong Turn

DragonSong

Aria watched him stand, and couldn't deny she was a little sad to see him go, all things considered.

But he'd certainly done his share, and she offered a small smile. "Thanks for your help, Vance."

Tags: