Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Little Night Music

Started by DragonSong, August 15, 2016, 04:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Tara found herself blushing a bit, which was something that didn't happen often. She smiled and murmured her thanks, adding quietly, "I can't say I meet many people who take such an interest in a bard on a street corner."

As she glanced up and really took note of the building they were approaching, her eyes widened. "Holy-" She cleared her throat and looked at him sidelong. "Ah, nice place."

Not a lord her ass. Who else could afford to stay in a place like that?

Zero

"Few people have the same appreciation for music that I do." It wasn't just the music that really got his attention. Tatsu listened to music often, for him it was one of the calmest activities. Mixing the music with the magical energy was what had really caught him.

He chuckled softly at her reaction to truly looking at the Moonlit Villa. "It is a very nice place. The atmosphere is relaxing, unhurried. A great place for those needing a break from busier lives."

DragonSong

"I...see." She trilled a breath through her lips and looked up at him with a lopsided smile. "Is that what brings you to town then? Taking a break from a busy life?"

Zero

"That would depend on your definition of busy, I suppose. I am rarely in a hurry about anything, but much of the world seems to be in a great rush at all times." Tatsu led her up the path towards the grand entrance, there was a doorman to open the heavy double doors for them with a bow and flourish. "That is why I like places like this. Slows things down a little more to my own pace."

The foyer was dotted with cozy sitting areas for guests to wait for their baggage to be loaded or unloaded from carriage to room and back. There was a large desk with a stately dressed gentleman sitting behind it to serve as a receptionist and general overseer of the other staff.

"Lionel, have a hundred year bottle of the dry red I sampled last night and two glasses brought out to the Oceanic balcony, please." Tatsu barely waited for affirmation of his request before he continued guiding Tara through the building and then out onto a sweeping veranda overlooking the ocean. The sea breeze was pleasant, soft sounds of the waves on the beach below drifting up to them as he gestured to the panoramic view. "Gorgeous, is it not?"

DragonSong

Tara had to exercise a grey amount of control to keep her jaw from hitting the floor as she was led into the stately building. She suddenly found herself fidgeting with her skirt, smoothing her bodice a bit in an attempt to feel less...grubby.

At least she was wearing shoes. She'd honestly considered going barefoot that morning.

As she was ushered out onto the veranda, she couldn't stop the quiet gasp that slipped past her lips. "Oh my gods," she murmured, eyes roaming over the view. "It- it really is."

Zero

At this hour there was mostly just the staff around to even see them. Most of the patrons would have retired to their own rooms by now. Some alone, and some with company they'd picked up in town. Nobody looked twice at Tara. She was a beautiful young woman in the company of an obviously wealthy man. Not exactly an uncommon sight at the Moonlit Villa.

Either way they had the veranda to themselves as Tatsu made his way over to a pair of comfortable chairs facing out to appreciate the view with a small table to rest drinks upon between them. "Please, have a seat. This is the best spot to view the moonlight on the water."

It was also a wonderful spot to gaze up at the stars on a clear night. There were only a few wispy clouds, but it only served to give the large near-full moon an even more majestic bearing.

Tatsu took a seat and relaxed with a contented expression. A waiter appeared within moments with a tray which he sat on the table between them. The bottle was tilted for inspection, and Tatsu gave a nod of approval, prompting the server to open it and fill the two glasses half-full before he bowed and withdrew, leaving the opened bottle on the table between them.

DragonSong

She took her seat almost hesitantly, eyes constantly flicking out to watch the glimmer of moonlight on the water. Every once in a while the ocean would still, and the reflection of the sky made it seem as though one could swim in the stars themselves.

Tara smiled a bit, then started when the servant appeared to fill their glasses. She eyed the wine, then Tatsu. She really didn't want to offend him, but her cautious nature wouldn't be denied. Trying to be subtle about it, she lifted the glass and sniffed.

No discernible scent of drugs. Which was probably logical, they'd both been served from the same bottle, but you never knew. She took a cautious sip.

Zero

Tatsu wasn't easily offended. His pale eyes watched her, the faintest trace of a smile crossing his lips as he picked up his own glass, swirling the wine a little and sniffing it himself. It had a nice aroma. He brought it to his lips and sipped it himself, allowing it to linger on his tongue before bothering to swallow. It had a rich, but subtle flavor to it.

"Excellent." He sighed happily. "There are much bolder wines, but I have found subtle to be much more enjoyable to the palette. Why indulge if it is not something to drink slowly and savor?"

DragonSong

Tara chuckled and took another sip. It was certainly good wine. "Honestly, I wouldn't know," she said with a small smile. "I don't get the chance to drink stuff this fine often, so I'll take your word for it."

She glanced out over the ocean again, trying to do as he said and savor the wine. "Well, thank you for this." She toasted him and gave a sort of sheepish smile. "I feel like I owe you plenty more than a few songs."

Zero

"Not having frequent opportunity only suggests savoring it is even more important." Tatsu wished he had savored things a lot more back when he was so young and foolish as to think himself invulnerable. Back then the world had been seen through an entirely different perspective. He was practically a different person now.

His attention had shifted to look out over the water, not focused so much on his companion as he almost fell into contemplative remorse. Instead he tilted his head and looked at Tara with a slight frown. "Owe me? You do not owe any man anything, Miss Tara. Certainly not me."

DragonSong

She frowned a bit. That wasn't the way the world usually worked for her. "Well- I imagine this is expensive. And you already were...very generous when I was playing earlier."

She swirled the wine in her glass absently before she took another sip. "I suppose I'm just not very comfortable with the idea of not paying you back. You hardly know me, after all."

Zero

"Expense is irrelevant in this instance. You did not ask that I give you silver or wine. It was my choice to give these things to you freely, because you brought me some measure of pleasure with your music. Moments of true happiness are priceless to me." His voice was soft, giving off the faint echoes of deep sadness hidden beneath a layer of feigned indifference.

Tatsu took another slow sip from his glass before turning to her with a faint smile. "And I could argue that I know you better than many. Do not forget that I spent quite some time this evening completely engrossed with your music and your magic."

DragonSong

"Huh. That's certainly one way of looking at it," Tara murmured as she nursed her drink. She watched him curiously, sure that there was something more in his voice, some emotion she couldn't quite place.

Zero

"So we are in agreement that you are not indebted to me in any way?" Tatsu asked, still holding that faint smile. He couldn't really muster a full smile. Tara's music had been beautiful, but even it couldn't lift the veil of despair from him completely.

He was a creature haunted too heavily by the past. It was a burdensome weight upon his soul, but he bore it without complaint. If he hadn't been too weak to save his people then he would not have to suffer so. As far as he was concerned, he deserved the melancholy. His immense well of patience and forgiveness for humanity had never applied to himself.

DragonSong

"I...suppose so," she relented after a moment. Summoning up a small smile, she added, "I would still like to repay your kindness, however, if you would let me. Are you sure there's nothing I could do for you?"

Zero

"I am a simple man of few wants. Fine wine, find food, and fine company are all I could truly ask. The first two are easy to acquire with coin, and the third is the most precious and the most difficult to come by - and impossible to simply buy." You could buy time from people, he was sure several men were up in their rooms buying companionship from women who would not otherwise give them the time of day.

It was not something he understood or would ever engage in.

"I know this may be hard for you to believe, but all I want from you is what you are already giving me - your company - however briefly. It would be impractical for me to ask for you to sing and play your lyre for my amusement alone." Tatsu shrugged his shoulders and finished his glass of wine, setting it aside. "Besides, the hour grows later by the moment and I am sure you would prefer to rest than to humor an eccentric stranger."

DragonSong

Tara chuckled quietly and toasted him. "Well, then I thank you for that. And I hope you continue to enjoy my company, because this is probably the nicest evening I've spent in...a long time."

It felt like she'd been hunting down the people who'd taken her family from her for as long as she could remember, never able to truly relax and just...be. It was definitely a nice change, and she was grateful for it.

Zero

"Good company is always a welcome pleasure. I am glad that I could make your night more enjoyable in some small way." Tatsu bowed his head slightly, then gestured at the bottle of wine. "Feel free to help yourself to as much as you like. It would be in poor taste to waste so fine a vintage."

It was an expensive bottle, but he hardly cared about the cost.

"Are you hungry? They have excellent staff in the kitchen. I know the hour is late, but I am sure they would be happy to serve you." Given the generous volume of tips Tatsu handed out whenever he came they were always eager to indulge his strange requests at odd hours.

DragonSong

"Oh- are you sure?" She felt a little guilty to take him up on that offer, but she was hungry. "I mean... I don't want to impose more than I already have," she murmured, biting at her bottom lip unconsciously.

Zero

"If it were too much trouble I would not have offered." Tatsu rose from his chair and corked the wine. A servant appeared almost immediately, and he handed the bottle to him. "Please see that this makes its way to my companion's room."

The man bowed politely and disappeared again just as quickly. Tatsu turned back to Tara and offered her his hand. "Come, let us see what other little delights we can find from the villa's bounty."