Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Little Thief [open!]

Started by glorilyss, October 13, 2016, 12:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glorilyss

Moonlight fell in pale waves to the ground, highlighting the different levels of uneven cobblestone pathways and casting stark shadows against the lane below. Tall buildings crowded either side of the wide street, dark windows shuttered and locked for the night, looking like gaping, empty eye sockets set into the pale brick faces of the walls. A wide avenue on either side of the central street offered many bare, wooden stalls, waiting for the next days' stall-keepers to come back to sell their wares and make their pay.

The faerie girl hovered in the thick shadows at the mouth of one such alleyway, her silken dress slightly tattered along the hem, her long hair falling down her back partially snarled. She had washed her face and limbs from a stream outside of the city earlier, but her feet were bare and caked with grime from walking many miles through the wilderness. There was a painful hunger in her face, cheekbones carved with light and shadow, dark circles under her eyes belying sleepless nights, vividly skinny form suggesting empty plates and emptier stomachs for several days now. She was pretty, with her pale moon face and wide blue eyes, but strikingly thin, and with a sense of vulnerability that encouraged most to pity her.

Eyes darting up and down the street, the slender female stepped into the light, the moon lighting her up like a spotlight immediately. Trying to be discrete, the girl fled over the cobblestones to the nearest stall, fingers flying over the wooden boards and the small shelves underneath in a desperate search for something edible. It was in a similar fashion that she worked her way up one side of the street and down the other, oblivious to the world around her in her desperate search for food. She normally would never have contemplated stealing, but that was back when she'd been the heir to a Tribe that had cared for her. Now, she was on her own, and finding that it wasn't nearly as easy as it had seemed.

JackieCat

Larcan spotted the small young woman before she saw him, and he watched her from his vantage point in a shadowy doorway as she stepped out of an alley and started quickly down the street, moving from stall to stall, obviously looking for something.

From the light the moonlight shed, he could guess that she was food was what she was after.  She was thin and her dress, which looked as if it had once been quite nice, was tattered along the hem, and her hair was tangled.

Larcan wasn't on a specific job at the moment, but he was taking in pay from Ketra's city guard.  Meaning he would get paid for every criminal he brought in.  And while this girl didn't seem like a criminal, she was close to committing a crime.

Larcan would get paid for bringing her in even if she didn't steal anything, she had been looking in merchants stands and that alone was a small offense.

He could see that she was probably a fae of some sort, and she could have magic, but he doubted that if she did she wouldn't be half-starved and looking for food to steal.  However, he didn't know how strong she was, or how heightened her senses were.

All the same, he started after her.  His footsteps silent as he approached her from behind as she was looking into one of the stands.  She seemed unfocused, and didn't seem to hear him.  He didn't draw his sword, but kept his hand rested on the pommel, and stayed out of her arms reach as he spoke.

"Looking for something?" 
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

glorilyss

Ilayda's hand flickered from shelf to shadow, slim fingers searching out anything edible left behind. Her eyes were bright, darting this way and that, and though she'd started the night by sending furtive glances over her shoulder, as she saw each time that the street was empty, she began to take less and less notice of her surroundings. Desperation mounting, she moved from stall to stall, fingers skimming the shelves, looking for anything that she could eat, anything that might beat back the gnawing hunger settled firmly in the pit of her stomach.

In fact, she was so focused on her search that she truly didn't hear the soft patter of footsteps. She had just finished searching a stall when the voice split the air behind her, making her jump and slam her head on an overhanging shelf she'd been half-concealed behind. Whirling around, the faerie girl caught sight of the moonlight-drenched figure, giving an involuntary gasp of shock and taking a step backwards. Her eyes devoured the human in front of her, taking in the comfortable tunic, the worn jacket, the boots soft with wear - and more than that, his height. Compared to the five-foot faerie, he seemed almost impossibly tall, looming and imposing as he cut a stark silhouette against the moonlit sky.

Ilayda shifted her weight, tensed on the balls of her feet as though poised to run. As she shifted one foot back, she felt the comforting wetness of a puddle behind her; with a snap of her fingers, the puddle flew into the air, coalescing into a small sphere, then lengthening into what seemed to be a water-whip as she stretched her hands apart. Her eyes were bright as they stayed on his face, set in the pale skin under a tangle of hair and the gentle glitter of tourmaline beads that adorned head and throat. She looked like a half-wild faerie princess - which was convenient, because she was, essentially.

Though she might prefer to look all night rather than face the confrontation, he had asked a question, and she'd have to answer. "Maybe," she murmured quietly, uncertain how to proceed with such a situation. In her Tribe, none of them had ever really had a problem with stealing, since the Tribe members shared supplies quite equally with each other. Still, she knew that in most cultures, taking from others simply because she needed it wouldn't be met with much more than a negative outcome. She could hardly tell him she was half-starved and desperate for something other than the handfuls of berries that she'd scrounged, but that was the truth. "What if I was?" Her voice wasn't particularly defiant, almost more curious - but she still hovered like a bird before flight, the liquid in the whip undulating softly in her hands.

JackieCat

As the water sprang into her hands, Larcan didn't move, doing so could just provoke her to attack.  He didn't know how powerful she was, and if she really could fight with the water or if it was just an illusion.  His face was blank, and he blinked at her answer.

"You've been looking in other people's things," he said, his voice void of emotion. "That's not something that the city guard around here appreciates."

He blinked again, glancing over her form, assessing her and what type of damage she might be able to do.  Granted, her form was small, and she was thin, but that didn't mean she was weak.  "What are you looking for?"

He had already assumed the answer, but he wanted to see how she would respond.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

glorilyss

Ilayda had always been a passionate creature, one with mercurial moods and volatile emotions, though she retained an air of calm about her most times. As such, it was odd to hear the weirdly-flat voice, the lack of anger or suspicion or.. well, anything. she peered closer at the figure, wondering if she was correct in the assumption of humanity. She had always thought of humans as nearly as tempestuous as herself, though of course a human could never match a fae, but this one didn't seem to be so. Had she been taught wrong? After all, she hadn't met many humans during her travels. She supposed it could be that she had just learned poor information.

"I'm sorry." Her voice was apologetic, but she shifted her foot backwards, still poised lightly on the balls of her feet. Her eyes darted around the moonlit boulevard, almost wishing that there was someone around to distract this man. He was making things quite difficult for her, and it was hard to concentrate with her stomach all but snarling in protest. "I wasn't trying to cause trouble," she added smoothly.

It wasn't often that she used her inhuman charm, but she tried to do so now. After all, she was a faerie; manipulation was, inherently, as natural to her as breathing - it was just that she didn't use it. "I was just looking for anything left over. If they leave it behind, that means they don't want it, right?" Her voice mellowed, and she took another step backwards. Tonight had been foolish, and now she was going to get in trouble if she didn't think of some way to get out of it. "But I won't do it again. You should let me go." She widened her eyes, the pale blue color of her gaze luminous in the moonlight. Please, please don't get me in trouble!

JackieCat

Larcan noticed as she shifted backwards, and how her eyes darted around.  Her voice let through no sign of deceit as she apologized, but she was a fae, and Larcan kept that in mind.  They were notorious for talking their way out of trouble.

As she continued, he almost started to believe her, as well as being expert tricksters, the magic of some fae made their words even more believable, but he kept on guard.

"I have no way of knowing if that's true," the man said, not having moved since he approached her. "People - humans, fae, anything - are not trustworthy.  So why should you be?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

glorilyss

At the man's words, Ilayda could have cursed a particular nasty string of words. The one time she tried to use her magic, and apparently it had no effect. What was the point of being a graceful, delicate faerie if even your powers of charm were useless? Was she truly that bad, or was he simply immune? It was certainly an interesting conundrum, and her curiosity piqued her interest.

So she switched tactics. Instead of backing away, she took two casual, slow steps forward. Ilayda had never been what one would call "sexy," rather, her girlish prettiness emphasized a sense of vulnerability and openness. Hopefully, this would work better than the dulling, calm tone of voice.

"Because I'm different." She shrugged, the pale moonlight casting ragged shadows that emphasized the hunger and the desperation on her face, highlighting the way that her dress - which had once been snug - now hung off of a thinning frame. There was a heartbreaking image of naivete etched across her eyes, her mouth downturned at the corners. "I don't want to hurt other people. I heal them, not hurt them. I don't even want to steal. I'm just hungry." The truth of her words could have broken a matronly heart, but she wasn't even sure if they would work on someone so apparently cold. "Please. I have no ill-will. But I've lost everything." She was always honest with strangers, to the point that she often made them uncomfortable, but this was different. Stretching out her hand, she proffered it palm-up. "I can heal you if you hurt at all, even a headache. Please. But don't hurt me for not wanting to be hungry. I have no one left."

JackieCat

His eyes narrowed just slightly as she stepped forward and spoke.  The only sign that her words were getting to him in the slightest was that he licked his lips.

Her words were very persuasive, laced with charm, but even if she was telling the truth, why wouldn't he turn her in?

And he asked her just that.

"I'm working with the city guard," he said. "And I'm being paid for every criminal I bring in.  You were doing something that is considered illegal, so why wouldn't I take you to the guard?  There's nothing in it for me if I let you go.  Give me a reason why I should pretend that I never met you."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

ValamLym

Raven and her sister Robin had been quite busy. Having just returned from a day playing bodyguards, they were strolling through the streets at night, counting their coins and looking for something or better yet someone to eat.

It wouldn't take awfully long for the two to find the few folks that were still outside, a rather easy to find picture if there was one, tall and tanned versus small and frail looking. Truly, even she felt like this was prey that was almost boring to hunt. Nonetheless she was intrigued. She carefully crawled up on a nearby roof, looking down on the two with her sister, who had nestled herself beside her.

She seemed to remain quiet for the slightest of moments before snapping her finger, sending a echo through the sleeping city, hoping to get the attention of the two folks below her. She nudged her head, a grin crawling onto her lips. ''My, my.. picking on a little girl this late at night.. you must not be a very brave man.'' she stated pointedly, before turning to look at her sister.

''What do you think sis, will he do?'' she didn't seem very concerned with the other's hearing what she was saying. In fact, it seemed like she wanted them to hear. Whatever her sister replied she then turned to the small girl ''You shouldn't be out this late at night. Its when the monster's come out to play.''

Blink

Emotionless she moved along the side of her sister, her eyes scanning the scene unfolding ahead. Looking down from the roof she sized up the man her sister had pointed out. Slowly, a smile crept up on her lips. Without words she nodded in response to her sisters question as her eyes only momentarily went between her sister and their newfound company.

Locking in on the two below Robin allowed herself to slide down the roof, she was sure her sister would follow. Her feet were almost silent when they hit the ground as she now stood about 5 feet from the small girl and tall man. Tail flicking behind her Robin paced in a slow circle around the two, her pattern mimicking that of a shark stalking its prey.

The sound that reverberated from the woman began as a low and raspy chuckle before turning into an all out maniacal laugh. "I wouldn't pass judgment on the small one so quickly sis..." her words rolled from her lips smoothly but full of venom. "Was that a water talent I witnessed only moments ago?" her question wasn't really directed at any of them, but more of her stating the fact. Tilting her head to one side she looked to her sister "I am feeling a bit..... parched."

JackieCat

Larcan glanced up as the two cat-women spoke from the roof, but he didn't draw his weapons.

As one of the two slid down to the ground and started circling, Larcan still didn't move.

"I'm sure you'd both be better off finding a 'drink' someplace else," he said cooly. "This young lady and I were having a conversation, and you interrupted it."

The two new visitors looked as if they would be quite capable in a fight, but Larcan wasn't looking for a fight, not now.  However, it wasn't likely they'd leave, just like that.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

glorilyss

To be honest, tonight had not been going particularly well. She had been hungry, she had been tired, she had been caught in the act of trying to steal, and now she was confronted with two slinking shapes of half-cat creatures that seemed to drop from the roof to the street below. Their movements were lithe and graceful, with all the self-assuredness of panthers on the hunt.

Conversely, as the two females approached them, the faerie girl took a step toward the man from before. It wasn't that she particularly liked him, and it wasn't that she disliked the two newcomers on the scene - rather, she at least knew that she was dealing with when she had faced the very lawful young man, and these two prowling half-cat creatures were complete wildcards.

As her water talent was mentioned, her eyes narrowed slightly, fear spiking in her belly but her imperious princess nature rising to the surface. "Yes, it is," she replied, her voice a treble thread of sound in the wide, empty boulevard, but surprisingly steady for the mounting nervousness in her gut. The whip in her hands undulated, curling up and down her arms, then returning to float between her hand. "What do you want?" She didn't exactly sound unfriendly, but there was an edge to her voice, the hint of nervousness evident in it. "We have nothing you might want, and we weren't hurting anyone." Nevermind the fact that she had just been trying to persuade this man to let her go, now he seemed like her only ally.

ValamLym

Raven looked from the woman to the man a spy smirk crawling onto her face as she slipped down the roof and traced after her sister. She couldn't help but chuckle at the man's words "Oh but I just cannot digest your human food it makes me woozy." she playfully stated and stepped a bit closer leaning on an empty stall.

Her attention then finally shifted to the woman. Staring at the whip made of water intently before meeting the womans own gaze "how would you know what we want?" she snickered "For all you know I am just a cute liĆ¾ttle cat."

She closed her eyes,letting out a sigh before opening them. They had changed, replaced with an almost devilish combination of black and red. She didn't make any hostile move yet. Wrapping her arms around her chest she simply stared at the girl "She is not edible." she stated before turning to her sister "we will have to share."

JackieCat

"I'm sure you'd like a deer or rabbit," Larcan said, though it wasn't as if he didn't know what the cat woman was getting at.  "Us humans do eat meat, you know."

As the cat-woman's eyes changed, and she stated that the fae was 'not edible', Larcan still didn't make a move.  He wasn't going to draw his weapons until it was absolutely necessary.   
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Blink

Robin pouted at her sisters remark of not digesting the water fae. It was only milliseconds before her eyes then darted to the man. Just as her sister's, Robin's eyes had changed from their normal hue to that of crimson and black.

Silently she stalked them as if any movement either of them made her eyes picked up on in an instant. Now standing opposite of her sister she could still see them clear as day, the image of her sisters sight mirroring her own. Violently her tail whipped behind her before she took a few steps towards the man extending her arm. Clearly the sisters would have to make the first move.

Robin allowed her fingertips to rest just inches from the mans face before she mockingly let them slowly drop tracing his figure. "But you look much more tasty than a deer" The thought of his flesh in her stomach caused her mouth to water just slightly and her stomach to turn in yearning.  She turned her head just a smidgen to allow the other girl into her line of site as well. "I guess today's your lucky day little girl."

With that a tendril shot out from the back of her body replacing where her tail used to lay. It also thrashed violently just as her tail was only a few moments before.

JackieCat

Larcan simply blinked as she raised her hand, letting his eyes meet hers.  His face was expressionless, but there was a hint of a warning in eyes, and his own hand slipped to the pommel of his sword.

When her tial transformed he tilted his head to the side.

"That's a nice little trick," he said. "I suppose getting a deer is out of the question then?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

glorilyss

Ilayda had the feeling that tonight was going to be memorable in the most uncomfortable sense, like an alcoholic who makes a fool of themselves but doesn't drink enough to destroy the memories. The sense of danger that crawled over her skin was nearly intoxicating, urging her onward, making the blood dance in her veins until it threatened to rise to a fever pitch. She struggled against it, unwilling to let her fear overcome her judgement, remembering the long hours of practice that her father had given her.

But practice was no substitute for the real world.

At the mention of whether or not she would make a tasty meal, Ilayda took another quick step towards the man from before. Her eyes darted between the slinking figures, hands clenching into fists at her sides, the whip still winding its way along her arms. She felt her nervousness mounting, along with a deep wellspring of energy that felt centered somewhere around her navel. She had no clue what the upwelling of energy meant, but she understood its immediate effects: as she felt herself begin to tremble with the increasing power, she unwittingly drew on the water in the air, increasing the diameter of the whip and drying the atmosphere around them considerably.

"You'd better leave. Now." There was a new edge to her tone; not menacing, per se, but quiet and oddly self-assured. "You have no need to hurt us. You can find easier prey somewhere else." Her voice had taken the earlier melodic quality that she'd tried on her would-be jailor, hypnotic and smooth in quality. She locked eyes with both girls, first the one who'd declared her inedible, then the other one, whose tail transformed. She was nervous, and it was clear in the taught lines of her face, but she let her fae magic transform her voice from high and frightened into something deeper. She felt the energy gathering in her body, and knew that she was afraid of it. She had no clue what it would take to unleash such a torrent, but she certainly didn't want to find out.

ValamLym

Leave, but I feel the fun is just beginning.''

Like her sister, a massive tendril like tail replaced her own originally fluffy tail. It dragged across the pavement, drawing a massive scar in it. She didn't seem overly impressed by the water magic. Spinning her hands in counter clock wise motions before simply slamming her fists into the ground, a massive wall of black ice rising behind the two potential threats.

She then began circling like her sister did, perhaps a little more playfully, but still on the prowl. She couldn't help but laugh when the girl spoke of easier prey. ''Where's the fun in an easy hunt?'' she snickered, before simply pointing at the girl ''You don't even know what we are.'' she dragged her metallic claws along her chest, where's normally it would've drawn blood, this time it did absolutely nothing.

She then turned her attention to the man ''Don't worry, its nothing personal. You're just in the wrong place at the wrong time. And no, the guards won't save you.'' she added the last bit with a laugh. The amount of times people called out for guards was almost humiliatingly high. ''Most people who use blades on us quickly regret it.''

Blink

Snickering she mimicked her sisters allegations. "Please don't try and stab me" Robin pretended to quiver in fear for a brief moment. "I... I am just so afraid"

She couldn't keep up the charade for very long. Bursting into laughter she doubled over clenching her torso. "P...please don't hurt me with your... b...big sword!" She laughed for a few moments before standing up and walking over to her sister.

Taking a step behind Raven she lifted her arms over her sister before allowing them to rest on her sisters shoulders, of course allotting the proper space required for her tendril. She was now silent as her gaze traveled between the two strangers while running the tips of her fingers across her sisters collarbone.

Raising her lips to her sisters ear she whispered to her dear sister. "Is he even worthy of our consumption?" just barely her lips touched the fuzzy outlines of her sisters ear. Smiling she then rested her head on her sisters shoulder, her arms still slumped over Raven's shoulders as well. Stating matter of factly she continued to glare at the man while speaking about the girl who was present as well. "I wish we could eat her..."

JackieCat

Larcan still didn't draw his weapons, that would wait until the last moment.

"Get on with it then," he said gruffly to the two women, or whatever they were. "I don't have all day, and waiting around to be attacked is not my highest priority.  Your parading around it getting on my nerves."

And it was, though not from fear, just sheer irritation that theses two were taking their time.  Larcan prefered to cut to the action without all of this one-sided banter.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor