Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Knocketh and I shall answer (P)

Started by drunkensarah, October 29, 2016, 06:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkensarah

As always, she could sense when someone was tracking her for the rings she was the keeper of. Not only could she feel the pit in her stomach and the rings want to be set loose onto the world, she would have dreams. Well the dreams she was having could be called nothing short of pure horror. She would find herself set in darkness on a sea of blood. She would be alone, vulnerable, separated from not only her caravan and all the magical protections it held, but separated from her Goddess as well. There she would be lost and utterly separated from any comfort, any help, but never quite alone. She could always feel eyes on her, watching, waiting. Then in the dream the calls of crows, had to be hundreds of them. The sound was deafening and she would always wake in a sweat.

She had been having the dream for days, night after night set like an alarm clock to wake her up in the wee hours of the morning. It seemed that night's particular dream had been more realistic than the others. That night's nightmare she swore she could smell and taste the metallic odor wafted up from the sea of blood. She swore she could feel the brush of crow feathers across her skin as they flew around her.

She knew that whoever was coming, was close. She lit herself a lantern and wrapped herself in a soft and breezy house coat. She absentmindedly spun the two of the five rings she always wore, crimson petal, and moon child. With those two rings on she didn't really need the lamp, her eyes were as good in the dark as they were in the day, still, the light held comfort. She moved from the bedroom that was hidden behind a false wall in her Caravan to the only door the magical travel wagon held. The caravan was much larger on the inside than anyone could guess from the outside. Whoever built it had undoubtedly spent many years weaving the magic for it.

She opened the door, but did not step past the threshold. The one after her ring could very well be lingering in the forest outside of her door, she wasn't completely naive. She did trust the mountains of protections that had been laid upon her caravan, not only by herself and other mages, elves, wizards and Fae, but by her own Goddess. So she knew no creature of the night would be able to simply barge in. She didn't see anything, but knew some things were better at hiding in the darkness than others. She left the door open, she needed to feel the fresh air wafting in. She looked down at the two rings she wore, each beautiful in their own way.

The crimson petal was a dainty gold ring with the most elegant designs, but for how delicate it looked, even when she tried she hadn't been even able to damage it in the least. The star of that rings was not the masterful gold work, but the one ruby that took front and center stage. It was undoubtedly the most vibrant ruby she had ever seen.

The moon child was a bit different. It wasn't dainty, but was a hearty silver band. It too was beautiful though with inlaid moonstone around the entire ring. Not to mention the secret it held that few knew about. If one took the moon child into the light of the full moon one could see ancient script around the band as well, which would twinkle and glow in the most magical way. The magical script the moon child had, in Luminitsa's opinion was more beautiful than even the crimson petal's ruby.

It didn't matter though. Those who sought after the rings didn't do so because of their beauty but because the raw power the two rings held.

Medievarad

Why hide in the darkness like a wretched being when one could walk in the light, as a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing? Why bother stalking a prey from afar when you could hide next to it, close to it?

Why would one hunt when they were trusted enough for one to sleep in their presence? After all, he had the ability to make sure he was trusted. The entirity of is caravan thought him as one of the longer serving gaurds and advisors. They believed him a powerful hemomancer, which he had stated was not a vampire and pressed on that, part of the caravan for a long time already.

All these mortals. They were but puppets for his play. He sought out the artifacts, but now? He was merely toying with his prey. He had an infinite life span, why not take the time to savour the hunt? He rose his finger to the crow sitting on his shoulder, making soft sushing and clicking sounds. After all, he had an eternity to mentally torment his prey.

Acheron looked up from his horse as he heard the sound of a door creaking open from Luminitsa's wagon. He turned around to face the caravan with a soft frown. His prey, this closeby. He relished the feeling. The rush, the amusement of how he could control people. Luminitsa may know there was something off, perhaps his illusions or trickery and deceit didn't work on her mind, but in that case, the rest of the caravan was always quick on the uptake on how good of a guy Acheron was. After all, he had saved quite a few of them from either diseases or death after a trial of combat. He was to be trusted, or so they all believed.

"Is everything alright, my lady?" He called out softly, with the gentlest and sweetest of voices, the feigned concern being more than persuasive.

drunkensarah

Luminitsa's eyes snapped up to the man on his horse. She had to fight her urge to recoil at the sight of him. Something about him, was just, off. She could feel it down to her very core. He had so many fooled, and he had saved several. Still, being an illusionist, she had learned long before she was the keeper of the rings, some would go to great extremes to fool those with weak minds. She couldn't help but wrap her house coat around her tighter, as she feigned a pleasant smile before a slight wave.

"No,  Acheron, simply enjoying the pleasant night breeze, should know by now I am a bit of a night owl," She spoke, keeping her voice pleasant enough. Luminitsa's eyes moved from the man's face to the crow that sat on his shoulder. It took a great deal of effort not to let the fake smile slip into a deep frown.

She didn't have anything against crows, she actually liked the birds, and often would feed them when she saw them. It was something about this one, she shook the thought. She wouldn't let her distrust of a man transfer to an innocent animal.
"A pretty night, is it not?" She asked, as she forced her eyes away from the man, looking once more into the night. She would not let the others know of her suspicious of the man if she could help it, that would only make them grow to not trust her. She had a feeling that Acheron himself already knew about her suspicions, the two sensed each other, she had no doubt. Still, she knew she would have to feign pleasantries with the man, for the time being that was.

Medievarad

Magnificent.

If he was able to break character, Acheron would cackle in delighted pleasure. She was in his trap, it only added to his amusement that she was woefully aware of it. The pleasantries were but a way of her frantically searching for a way out, he was sure of it. But he didn't grow as powerful as he was by making his traps escapable.

Rather, he smiled softly at her. "T'is true," he mused. "But it is also true that lately you have been distressed each time you surfaced from your caravan," he added, giving her a sympathetic smile. "Hence I ride closer to you, my lady. I wish to make sure you're alright."

In other words, Acheron had his eyes on her. While it seemed friendly, the spirit would easily take notice to the amount of threat such gentle and friendly statement possessed.

"It is," he agreed with a soft chuckle, scratching the side of the crow's head, before making it fly off with a soft caw. "An empty sky. The visible starts and a full moon. The prettiest one can get," he mused softly.

drunkensarah

"I think distressed is the wrong word, kind Sir. More so leery. I have travelled this path many times, both in groups and alone. I know the things that can call this forest home. I am also very much capable of defending myself and my own. Though appreciated, I think some of the others would benefit from your watchful eye more than myself. Those too young, too weak, or too old to pick up a sword, or cast a spell," Luminitsa spoke, allowing her tone to be, one could say flirtatious.

She knew very well they were playing a game, a game she had played many time before, over and over and over. A true broad, if not fully amused smile crossed her face as she thought of the chance of Acheron and Philocrates knowing one another. If he knew of that dragon, he should already know she knew this game well.

It was the sound of the howls in the not so distant distance that finally drew her eye away from the man, her face losing its smile, returning to its neutral stoic state.
"It seems we are not the only ones who think it is a beautiful night. Many in the group will be worried, those beast are not all that far away," She spoke before her eyes moved back to Acheron. She reached into her wagon, pulling forth a staff with a iridescent dragons claw resting on top of it before finally emerging out the door.

She would go give comfort to some of those in the caravan, and if it came to it, protection. Though she was still concerned with Acheron, her good nature would not allow her to recluse into her cabin when she knew  she could help those around her.

Medievarad

Acheron chuckled. "Ah. Then leery it is," he answered with a warm smile. His voice soft, soothing. Almost lulling. "And you know my power, my lady. I can easily protect the entirety of this caravan from here." He glanced up at the crow that circled above them. "Our friend is keeping watch."

Acheron's head snapped into the direction of the wolves, before glancing back to the spirit and nodding. He held his horse to ride besides her wagon and scooted backwards. "Come," he said. "We can't have the wagons breaking formation on this road."

drunkensarah

Luminitsa looked at Acheron with questioning eyes. Would there group not stop for the night, everyone needed rest. People were more likely to make rash decisions when weary. She was finally able to place what about the man she disliked the most. It was his arrogance. She had never been one to like an arrogant man. It wasn't that Acheron wasn't powerful, but they were in the Draconi forest. There were basilisk, vampires, werewolves,warlocks, dragons, demons, and a whole other host of things that went bump in the night. Did he really think nothing could take a child from a wagon whilst he was fighting something else.

She shook her head, if he wished them to move along, so be it. She jumped on the front of her wagon, guiding her horse, staff laid across her lap. With her heightened senses she could tell the wolves were drawing closer, she hoped they would move along and were not on a hunt.

Her eyes once again cut back to Acheron.

"What I had meant by others would benefit from your watchful eye was not that you couldn't defend that entire Caravan, but simply, some of the others could benefit more from your presence. Some of them need the comfort of a protector near by," She spoke pleasantly. Secretly she wished he would just move on, so her skin would stop crawling.

Medievarad

Acheron shook his head. "Mayhaps," he answered. "While I wish the best for everyone, I am tasked with your security first, my lady," he answered. "And while I hold each member close, it is you whom I was hired to protect," he gave her a faint smile. "So forgive me."

And she was dead wrong about him being unable to keep a chikd stileƧ from a wagon. That was his job after all. As a predator of his caliber? He could tell when even the most unnoticable of Luminitsa's members were hurt or had disappeared.

He chuckled softly. "I understand, my lady," he glanced at her as his horse kept up. "But you should not underestime the power an experienced hemomancer holds. I also won't allow you to confront these beasts alone."

drunkensarah

Luminitsa could just sit from her wagon and let the others get attacked, as self assured as Acheron was, she knew things could always go wrong. She slipped something out of her pocket, at first it looked like a doll made of twigs. She stood, then gave the thing a bit of a flick. At first, nothing happened. Luminitsa placed a hand on her hip, raising an eyebrow before once again giving the doll another, more aggravated flick. The second time was the charm, the twig doll growing , forming a Golem from wood, a green glow radiating from its chest. The thing wasn't large for a Golem, probably only standing at 5'5 tall, but it was enough to get the job done.

"Keep the wagon with the others," She spoke, giving it clear orders, in which it responded with a bit of a nod and a gravely grunt. It picked up the reins taking control of the wagon.

Luminitsa turned to Acheron, "Well since you must stay with me, we are going to check out the wolves before we end up ambushed," She spoke matter of factly.

She really didn't want to say what she said next, and she definitely didn't want to be that close to the man, but her horses were preoccupied in that moment.

"Mind if I hitch a ride with you to the front of the caravan, it will make the others feel more secure, which will mean less chaos if we are attacked?"

Medievarad

The vampire glanced at the golem and took note of it. Another of her abilities revealed. Though he wasn't sure whether it originated from one of the rings he tried toto get his hands on, or that the power was inside the doll,, or whether it was an innate power of hers. It might be troublesome if he didn't know this when making his next move. Which entirely depended on her next reaction.

Acheron nodded and scooted back on the saddle, holding the reigns in one hand to allow Luminitsa to take place infront of him. He held his free hand out to assist her.

And as soon as she took place, a warm and alluring scent came from Acheron. It was sweet, yet very thick. Acheron was trying to ease her mind, which in turn made it easier to trick her. The vampire would proceed to try and captivate her mind. If he was succesful, she'd feel drawn to him, in an odd way, given her feelings of hate. These would slowly dissipate.

Acheron, after he made sure Luminitsa was properly in the saddle, wrapped his arms around her to take the reigns again. With a soft clicking sound, the horse broke formation and made it's way to the front of the caravan.

drunkensarah

Luminitsa took her place in the saddle with caution, the staff held delicately diagonally across her body. It took several moments but slowly she started to smell the thick sweet aroma. She found it curious. She didn't find it suspicious until she found herself relaxing back against Acheron. In that moment whatever spell he had been casting over her broke as she realised that it was his magic. Still she played along. She could guess his intent, but was willing to let it play out. She found it pleasing to deny those who sought to use trickery against her.

On her own she did not actually possess much power, but acheron did not know that. He did not know that one reason she was a traveling merchant, as well as palm reader, etc was to collect other magical objects besides just the rings she was ordered to look after. With her objects of power and her natural magical ability with illusion she looked like a very powerful sorceress. Of course, things are rarely as they seem.

She let her body continue to slowly relax, losing the rigidness it had had when she mounted the horse. She didn't seem so against her back resting lightly against his chest as they rode towards the head of the caravan. She let her face slowly slide into a smile, that was more to put the people's mind at ease. If she was relaxed and didn't seem worried, they would be less likely to worry. 

Medievarad

Curious. The spell did break. While she could act and play along all she wanted, the initial surprise from her was enough for Acheron to sense what was in her mind. He easily felt when his influence was broken. Still, she played along. So he would do the same. The same aroma kept surrounding them as they rode towards the front of the caravan. She wouldn't let her know he could notice when his spells were broken or not.

As she relaxed against him, one of his hands made its way up to support her around the waist. He wasn't really interested in her personally. Though she did drop her guard momentarily. Seducing her, both with charms to trick her mind, would make his acquirement of the rings way easier.

drunkensarah

Luminitsa felt her skin crawl. She didn't know what it was about the man, but something about him made her want to scrub her skin with lye. The longer she was around him the more exhausted with his she became. Yet, she couldn't let that show. They had to play whatever game they were playing, and do so politely. They were in dangerous territory with a whole host of innocent people. Luminitsa had a feeling that if pushed Archeron would not hesitate the slaughter everyone there. She also knew she would not be able to protect them. The people she knew that would stand his equals she hadn't seen or heard from in years. Philocrates with his goblins could possibly distract Archeron, but she knew that the ancient dragon would also slaughter the entire caravan without hesitation. She was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

She looked up as she heard the wolves howl draw closer, it was obviously a whole pack. Her grip on her staff tightened slightly. They were being hunted. There was no doubt in her mind that the pack of werewolves were making formation just beyond the shadows, readying their ambush.

Medievarad

And despite her being utterly disgusted by his presence, Acheron would still see that he got his way. He always did. Even if he had to destroy lives, drench his hands in blood or turn people into braindead slaves. He wanted these rings and he would not rest until he had them. If he got another servant out of it, it was just an added bonus.

"I smell them," Acheron murmured as they reached the front, arching an eyebrow. "They are lying in wait," he added with a soft sigh. "Do you have a plan, or do you wish to trust my judgement?"