Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Dealing with Dragons (Glob!) [M]

Started by DragonSong, November 03, 2016, 01:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Elora scooted a bit closer and allowed herself to sprawl out a bit.

"Well...what do you do when you're not here or in the city? Do you spend any time as a dragon anymore "

DaGlobster

"Oh, I spend plenty of time as a dragon! I have you over, though, and it'd just be rude to go clomping around as a dragon. I hardly think you'd find it the most relaxing. Or pleasurable," he said, shooting her a wry grin.

"I like to fly about, patrol my territory, go hunting. I was just out to stretch my wings when I found you," he said.

DragonSong

A blush rose to her cheeks at that and she ducked her eyes a bit at his grin.

Then she frowned, glancing up at him curiously. "How did you find me? How'd you notice one small human out in the middle of the plains?"

DaGlobster

"Coincidence, mostly," Merradin said, scooting closer so that their sides touched lightly and he put an arm around her.

"I was out for a short flyabout when I smelled blood. I looked down, and there you were, running across the plains."

DragonSong

"Hm." Elora stiffened a bit, then relaxed and leaned into his side slightly. "Well. Guess I'm lucky you were out stretching your wings then."

DaGlobster

"Indeed," he agreed, turning his head towards her to leave a small kiss on her head.

"Can... can I ask you why you came to the plains?"

DragonSong

She sighed and closed her eyes, letting her head rest against his shoulder.

"Border patrol. My unit was supposed to find the source of some caravan raiding and put a stop to it."

DaGlobster

There was a moment of quiet.

"I'm sorry," Merradin said, voice soft, almost hesitant, and he held her a bit more soothingly.

DragonSong

She snorted, but settled a little more comfortably against him. "Yeah, me too."

She shook her head. "We couldn't even stop the raids. I- I feel like what happened was all for nothing. I lost my whole unit, and then he showed up..."

She sighed. "Calla. My horse- she didn't deserve what happened."

DaGlobster

Again, more quiet from Merradin.

"I cannot pretend that I can make things better with words. That I can just speak and erase what happened, to make it all better," he said, voice sympathetic as the hand that wasn't around her sought one of her own.

"But I can do my best to soothe it. To make it better. Elora, you can't blame yourself for everything that happened. The fact that you survived at all is a testament to your strength. And, well, if anything..."

He trailed off to shrug his shoulders.

"If you were captured, you know where the raids are coming from now, right?"

DragonSong

Another long breath. "No, actually. The raid that hit our unit was a band of plains riders. I was captured by a centaur."

She shook her head. "He said...I don't think they're working together. Which means I have two threats to report to my commander."

Abruptly, she twisted in his arms to hide her face against his shoulder. "I've never been afraid of what I do before," she murmured. "Every new mission, I knew I could die. But now..." She shuddered. "Gods, there are things so much worse than death."

DaGlobster

At the mention of centaurs, Merradin's eyes widened ever so slightly. If that was true, then her captivity had been much more horrible than he could hope to imagine. He kept silent about it, not wanting to dredge any memories back up by asking her to clarify on that point.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that. I really am, Elora."

DragonSong

She nodded jerkily, but didn't say anything. "It's...fine," she murmured after a moment. A lie of course, she didn't think she'd ever be fine after this. "I mean- I'm alive, right?"

DaGlobster

"You're more than alive," Merradin said.

"You're strong, confident. I know that things might seem bleak, with everything still so fresh, but it will get better," he said.

DragonSong

Almost despite herself, she felt her lips twitch up on one side. "I'm glad you can believe that," she murmured. "Maybe I'll get there too, eventually."

DaGlobster

"There's no maybe," Merradin said, not letting her doubt herself for even a second. He smiled, and leaned in to nuzzle against her forehead.

DragonSong

She couldn't help laughing quietly. "Why do you care so much?" she asked- for what felt like the tenth time.

She just couldn't get over how invested he seemed in her, even though they really didn't know all that much about each other. "I mean- I'm grateful, really. I'm just not used to people being so kind without expecting something in return."

DaGlobster

"What, I can't just be nice?" Merradin said, raising an eyebrow at her, playful smile across his face.

DragonSong

"I mean, you can," Elora laughed. "But I'd still be confused." She didn't try to press the issue though, content to relax against him slightly as she lay beside him.

DaGlobster

There were a few moments of quiet before Merradin responded.

"I guess I've just jever really had a reason to be anything but nice. It's the way I was raised, I suppose," he mused, although he snuggled with Elora more.