Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Family Ties (Dauphin DaGlobster)

Started by DragonSong, November 03, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

An image flashed through her mind: Ka charging their master with a blade raised, Ka's magic exploding out of him in a torrent of destruction-

She shook her head and hopped nervously on her front hooves. "No. No, I know my brother. He'd never hurt an innocent, never." She tried to meet Dehak's eyes, almost pleading as she murmured, "He's a sweet kid. We just...we just need a place to belong. He'll do anything you ask of him if we could have that."

DaGlobster

"And I'll take your word on that," Dehak said, studying her nervous reaction and filing that away under things he'd ask her about later.

"And I really hope that for your, mine, and his sake that I'm right to trust you on this."

DragonSong

She met his gaze steadily. "You are."

She glanced back at the tent entrance and had to resist the urge to go out and check on Ka. An irritated sound rose up in her throat and she tugged absently at the shoulder strap of her thin breast band.

"Do you think they're almost ready?" she muttered with a nod toward the tent's interior.

DaGlobster

"The elders will be ready when they're ready," Dehak said, and he looked over to the tent interior.

"You think I like waiting either?" he said with a scoff.

DragonSong

She hadn't been aware that was how this worked. Her tail flicked nervously and she shifted her weight on her back hooves.

"Okay. Right. Do I just...go in then?"

DaGlobster

"Yeah, you'll go in with me," Dehak said. He looked about to say something else, when the flaps parted and a tall, leanly-built centaur stepped out of the audience chamber. He had a snakeish face, with long hair and a quiber of javelins strapped to his back. His eye area was shadowed with black paint, and for armor he only wore pauldrons and a mail shirt.

"Kohak," Dehak started, and Kohak returned with a salute before he started talking.

"The elders are in agreement. We can start amassing for the Vindari on the next moon."

Dehak smiled.

"It'll be good to get some payback," he said.

Kohak's eyes turned to Bree.

"Do... Do I know you? Where are your markings, warrior?"

DragonSong

The mare made a conscious effort not to spook as the new centaur appeared, quickly dropping her eyes and letting her hair hang slightly in front of her face in an automatic, subservient gesture.

She didn't expect to be addressed- no one ever directly addressed a slave, and it was hard to break out of those habits- and glanced up cautiously. "I, um..." She didn't know how to respond. "I'm...new?" she offered quietly.

Unable to help herself, she glanced back over her shoulder, worry for Ka suddenly resurging. He would have been able to handle this so much better than her.

DaGlobster

Kohak's eyebrows rose, and he looked to Dehak, who was quick to answer.

"I found her out in the plains, travelling with a human. She belongs to no herd," he said, and Kohak looked back to Bree.

"Welcome, then," he said, although there was something else behind his smile. Kohak stepped aside and motioned to the interior of the tent.

"You two shouldn't keep the elders waiting."

Dehak nodded in agreement to that, and motioned for Bree to come with him as he started to walk.

DragonSong

Bree hesitated, trying to decipher Kohak's expression, but she was too nervous to give it any proper attention and quickly enough ducked after Dehak, arms wrapped tight around her middle as she picked her way along behind him and looked up through her lashes an hair at this centaur council.

DaGlobster

The council was large. At least twenty-five older centaurs sat on this council. They all looked like seasoned warriors, even those among them who looked to be in their 80s. It seemed Centaurs stayed strong until death. Not to mention that plenty of the elders had impressive armor or weaponry, adding to the council's intimidating nature.

One of the elders stepped forwards, a centaur who looked to be venerable. He wore a breastplate, and had a massive two-handed sword.

"Who have you brought, Dehak?"

Dehak stepped forwards, and motioned an arm to Bree.

"High Elder, this female is called Bree. I ran into her during a patrol, travelling with a human."

At the mention of her travelling partner, the council burst into murmured discussion, a little bit of light arguing started up before they quieted down.

"Continue," spoke the High Elder.

"She can tell you the rest," Dehak said, and he motioned to Bree.

DragonSong

Bree swallowed nervously and had to focus a decent amount of attention on it shuffling her hooves as she felt the eyes of the council rake over her. She winced when the Kettering broke out, then froze as Dehak gestured to her again.

What was she supposed to say?

"I- I-" Her mouth was dry. She swallowed, eyes fixed on the ground. "M-my brother and I come from Essyrn," she forced out. "Ka- Katahn and I were...slaves. We escaped. We, um..." Shw glanced at Dehak, scrambling. "W-we just need a place to st-stay," she stammered out finally, wincing at the stutter.

Remembering Dehak's earlier words, she added quickly, "I'm a good hunter, and I know field medicine. I- I can pull my weight. And Tani- my brother is...useful..." She fell silent, arms wrapped tight around her middlenas she fought the urge to just sink into the ground.

DaGlobster

The council spoke amongst themselves after she'd spoken. While most of it was just a jumble of harsh voices, she might be able to pick up some bits of conversation. They thought she was weak, that she definitely wasn't a lost Bray. One particularly hardline elder suggested that her time with the humans had dulled what she truly was.

Finally, the High Elder spoke.

"The council is undecided. Dehak, what have you to say about this one?"

Dehak crossed his arms, and shot Bree a quick look before he spoke up.

"She stood up to me when I came across her. Maybe she's not as shaken as she looks," he said, and took a few steps forwards.

"Our retribution against the Vindari would leave more wounded. It would be good to have another set of hands in the healer's tent."

He looked to Bree again.

"What can Ka do, anyways?"

DragonSong

Essyrni instinct almost stilled her tongue. Ka had kept his secret for so long- would he be angry with her for revealing it?

But she didn't see that she had a choice. She tried to focus on her brother, on the fact that she was doing this to protect him; it was that boldness that had seemed to impress Dehak, maybe she just needed more of it.

"Ka's a water mage," she answered carefully. "He's...untrained. Water magic is illegal in Essyrn, he couldn't tell anyone. But he's powerful." She took a breath. "His magic helped us escape. I wouldn't have made it this far without him, and I th-think he would say the same of me." Her back hooves shifted, but at least she didn't since quite so badly at her stammer this time.

DaGlobster

If everyone on the council wasn't giving her their full attention before, she was receiving it now. Even the High Elder and Dehak whipped their heads around at the mention of his power.

"A water mage?" the High Elder said, and he looked to Dehak.

"Dehak, bring him here. I have questions."

And with that, Dehak gave Bree another bewildered look before he canted out of the tent, intent on fetching Ka.

DragonSong

"Wha- hold on a second-" Before she could really protest, Dehak gone and Brianna was left alone before the council, eyes wide.

Ka had barely moved an inch since his sister had been brought into the tent, shuffling his feet every so often and glancing around curiously but otherwise minding himself as best he could.

DaGlobster

And nobody had really bothered Ka in that time. The council guard next to him would glance over every once in a while to make sure he was still there, but apart from that, all he got was a stare as a centaur would pass by.

The tent flap opened, and Dehak stepped out.

"Council wants to speak with you," he said, leveling his eyes at the human.

DragonSong

Ka snapped his head up, eyebrows raised. "Ah- alright." He moved forward, then hesitated.

"Where's Bree? Is she okay?"

DaGlobster

Dehak sighed.

"She's just fine," he added, and his eyes narrowed. He turned to walk back into the tent.

"C'mon."

DragonSong

Ka nodded and fell into step behind him quickly, looking around curiously as they entered the tent.

Bree was waiting anxiously, shifting her weight on her back hooves with her arms wrapped loosely around her middle, biting at her lip.

DaGlobster

Ka was ushered into the council chambers, and as soon as he came in, the various elders shared looks that varied between suppressed anger, suspicion, or vilification. It was clear he wasn't welcome in this chamber, and that humans were rarely, if ever, allowed in here.

Immediately, the High Elder addressed him.

"Human, your companion here has told us you can weave the element of water. Is this true? Can you conjure it? Or even purify it?"