Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

It's Always Winter Here (DragonSong)

Started by Marakai Trin, December 25, 2016, 05:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marakai Trin

He nodded to her, and slipped out the door.

Outside, he noted how high the snow had gotten before it had stopped - very nearly two feet high. Perhaps he could do something with it later, but for now, he had to get it out of the way.

Gaelio raised his hands in front of him, placing his palms flat against one another. He focused a moment, and, unknown to him, the soft glow in his eyes increased as he concentrated on his magic.

With a grunt, he pulled his hands apart, and and the tall drifts of snow flew apart in a mirror of the movement, piling high on either side of a completely clear path.

Smiling slightly, he turned back to the cabin, and fished around in a snowbank for a moment, finally pulling out a leather cord.

He gave the cord a yank, and a wide sled came out of the snow. Whistling a little bit, he walked off into the dark, down the mountain to the trees below.

_____

Several minutes later, he found himself in a copse of trees. Time for some woodcutting. He walked to an old, stout pine, a couple years dead. He raised one bare hand to the old tree, placing his hand on the rough bark.

He closed his eyes, and felt his hand grow very cold - the bark and wood flash froze in a very narrow line, becoming very brittle.

He stepped back, admiring his handiwork with a small smile. Then, with a harsh gesture, he chopped his hand sideways.

The ice reacted, exploding into shards and separating the trunk of the tree from its stump. Gaelio stepped forward and gave it a shove. With a crash, the big pine fell to the ground.

He repeated the freeze and break technique several more times, until he had a large pile of split logs, and he piled as many of these as he could on the sled. He then turned towards the mountain, began to drag the sled towards the cabin again.

Another twenty minutes later, he came back to the cabin, and knocked. "Josephine, it's Gaelio. Is it safe to come in?" he said, giving her fair warning to cover herself if she were up moving around.

Marakai Trin

DragonSong

[Oh jeeze, I've done that waaay too many times ^.^']

Josephine had taken advantage of Gaelio's absence to curl up by the fire without the bother of clothes, Bay chattering away at her in his language of baby-talk as he gestured widely and occasionally seemed to want to reach out and touch the flames.

She snatched the child up when she heard the knock at the door, skittering back toward the bed, then relaxed when she recognized the voice.

"Oh- uh, yes, come in," she muttered, throwing the blanket around her shoulders quickly.

Marakai Trin

When he heard her response, he pushed the door open, dragging the large sled through the door, laden with firewood. "Got plenty enough for a couple days. And I see Bay's up. Good, I wanted to make him something, later. You might be interested, too." He offered a smile, shut the door, and began unloading the sled.

"And there's plenty more ready to be brought up, so I shouldnt have to leave for very long next time, if you decide to stay."

When he finished unloading the firewood, he sat heavily in one of the chairs, out of breath.

DragonSong

Bay smiled a little vaguely at Gaelio, head tilted as he talked. Josie nodded, getting to her feet.

"There's still some stew left," she noted. "Here, I'll heat some up, you rest a moment."

Bay rolled over as he watched his mother move about, then clambered to his hands and knees and crawled toward Gaelio's chair, his little hand fisting in the fabric of his trousers.

Marakai Trin

"Oh... thank you, Josephine. I'd appreciate it." He looked down at Bay and smiled broadly, the largest he'd had since their arrival there.

He reached down, picking the boy up and setting him in his lap. "Don't know if I'm doing this right, but I think I like this little guy."

He smiled, and laid a finger on the boys nose, attempting to play with him.

DragonSong

Josephine smiled as she watched them, wrangling her instinct to snatch her baby back under control. Gaelio obviously wasn't doing any harm, and the poor child need some interaction with someone that wasn't her.

Adjusting the pot over the fire, she watched Bay go cross-eyed, then grab for Gaelio's hand and huff in a rather canine way. Mismatched eyes wide, he stared up into the man's face and reached up to touch his cheek, babbling babyish nonsense.

"Keep him warm," Josephine murmured as she noticed Bay squirming closer to the heat of another body. She really needed some proper clothes for him. "He's more resilient than a human baby, won't let you know if he gets cold easily."

Marakai Trin

Gaelio pulled Bay in closer to his body, after his wrangling his finger back from the little ones grasp. He gave a bit of a chuckle at the hand at his cheek. "Should I move closer toward the fire, then? I don't want to overheat him, either....and I had a thought, actually."

Unknowing he was actually thinking along the same lines she was about clothing, he continued.

"...can you sew? I was thinking...that blanket it pretty much irreplaceable, but that sheet I can likely replace. It should be plenty big enough for clothes...I know it's not very thick, but it's something. And I can hunt something with fur, and make cloaks for the two of you."

He held Bay around the middle, and bounced him gently on his knee. "Just a thought...it may not be enough for outside, but.. at least you wouldn't have to hide from me."

DragonSong

The shifter nodded, giving the stew a quick stir before settling back to let it heat. "Yes, I can sew. If you really don't mind giving up the sheet, I could manage something."

She frowned, chewing at her bottom lip. "I'll think of a way to pay you back, I promise. I can hunt, both as a wolf and not, perhaps..."

She trailed off in thought as Bay giggled and clapped his hands, beaming. A small smile twitched at her lips. "He likes you."

Marakai Trin

Gaelio put one hand firmly around Bay's middle, so as to pull the other away. He continued bouncing his leg up and down, though.

He held that hand up to Josephine. "Don't worry about it. If you want to hunt, I won't stop you, but I told you I could provide for all of us. There's bigger game out there than elk, and I've taken down most every kind of everything these mountains have to offer. The sheet is yours - it'll be easier to trade for a sheet than clothes anyway."

He put his hand back down to play with Bay, attempting to tickle his side.

"And I'm glad he likes me. And I'm glad you're here, too...I like having someone here...I'm sorry I don't have more to offer, though."

DragonSong

The baby giggled and squirmed, then suddenly started slipping off Gaelio's lap as his form shifted to a wolf pup. His front paws scrabbled at his legs as he tried to pull himself up.

"Oh!" Josie moved forward quickly. "Sorry- he can't always control it," she said quickly.

Marakai Trin

Gaelio caught the pup with a laugh, bringing him up by his chest and giving his chin a scratch. "It's fine. Keeps me on my toes, I guess." That hand moved to scratch between his ears. He looked to Josephine with a smile.

"Hey..." he said, and nodded towards his flute towards the table. "I don't suppose you can play, can you?"

DragonSong

A soft smile curved her lips as she watched the two of them. She started slightly at the question and her eyes flickered to the flute.

"Oh. Well...a little, and not very well," she laughed, running her fingers through her hair distractedly.

Marakai Trin

Gaelio smiled a little, and tilted his head a bit. "Would you like to try? I can make you one. Music is really the only thing I had to while away the hours before yesterday. That, and creative ice sculpture." He gave a slight chuckle at that, and gently put Bay on the floor with a pat.

He stepped toward the fire, and looked into the pot. "Stew should be nice and warm now...I can dish us up some, if you're hungry, too."

DragonSong

Bay yapped and pawed at his leg, demanding to be picked up again. Josie shook her head at her son with a soft huff.

"Well, I suppose if you'd want to spend the time on it," she answered Gaelio. "I'm really not very good though, I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble."

Marakai Trin

Gaelio smiled down at Bay. "Not just now, buddy."

He stepped over to the table and picked up the wooden flute in question, and presented it to her. "Let's see what your made of, Josephine. And I can teach you, anyway."

He then looked back down at Bay for a moment. "And Josephine....what kind of animal does Bay like? Any animal at all. I wanted to show him something
"

DragonSong

"Oh." She took the flute and held it like she thought it was going to break apart in her hands. She glanced down at her son, now pouting with his tail swishing slowly back and forth across the floor as he stared up at them bother with wide eyes.

"Um...well, wolves, honestly. Even when he's human, if I shift he likes to curl up with me, or play with my ears, and what have you." She shrugged, smiling a bit. "He likes birds, too, though I'm not sure if that's a hunter's instinct or not, to be honest."

Marakai Trin

"Well...let's see what I can do, then. Watch this."

The hunter moved towards the door, opening it a crack, and with a gesture summoned snow from outside like he had the day before, when he filled the pot.

But instead of sending it to the pot, it all coalesced into a single cloud of swirling whiteness.

Gaelio pushed the door shut with his foot, holding both have out to the cloud. With a motion like one would make when crafting a snowball, he brought his hands together, and the cloud began to condense to form a solid ball of clear, floating ice.

All the while, the blue part of his eyes was glowing brilliantly.

With his hands, he made motions like he were pinching apart an object, and pieces of the ice began to chip away, tinkling down to the floor.

A few minutes of this, and then a hand motion as if he were smoothing an object, and there was a perfect representation of a wolf, made flawlessly of ice, but appearing as glass.

He reached up and took the small figurine, and turned to Josephine. "This is what Connlaoth doesn't understand about magic...it can be used for truly beautiful things." Upon closer inspection, it would appear that the wolf was actually Josephine, as well as Gaelio could manage from memory.

He set the figurine on the floor in front of Bay, and smiled. "See how he likes that. It's ice, but it's incredibly dense..it'll be a very long time before it melts."

DragonSong

"Oh!" Josie's eyes widened as she watched the process with just as much innocent, childish fascination as Bay.

She laughed softly when the figurine was placed on the floor and the pup immediately bounded forward to sniff at it, tail wagging.

She looked up at Gaelio with wide, sparkling eyes. "Thank you. That's...amazing."

Marakai Trin

Gaelio smiled broadly. "It's nothing - really." Despite his words, inside he swelled with pride. He'd never had anyone really appreciate anything he'd done with magic before.

"I can do more. And I can do more than ice, too...not that there's much around, but I can manipulate water, as well....anyway. Why don't you show us what you can do with that flute, and maybe I'll make you something, too?"