Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Eastward Bound and...Man, it looks scary in there. (Open)

Started by Wrathwyrm, January 04, 2017, 04:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wrathwyrm

Official knights get their own steeds to take them everywhere, squires to hold their baggage and look after their things.  Traveling swordsmen do not.  On the road, a fellow like him has to carry everything that is necessary on his back, on his belt, or in his pockets - No exceptions.  His pockets and belt carried the small things and his primary sword, but gear to thrive and survive on, long term?  On his back.  The young knightly fellow - who was not a real knight - wore armor over dark clothes and a decent black mantle with silver trim over that, followed by a pack on his back for his basic necessities and provisions to get through to Ketra on Adelan lands.  He had prepared to sleep outside, if need-be, and had brought adequate food, water, medicine, and other essentials...but man, was it cumbersome!

"Keefe has it alot easier out here.  She can just live off the land, kill and eat anything raw.  Some days, it just doesn't pay to be human."

For all those unaware, Sano Alistair was a human trained to fight and use the magic he was born with by a Beastkin, name of Keefe Zarla, and what he said was true.  Outdoor life suited her way more than it did for him.  However, Sano would endure.  He'd spent years of his life as a homeless scavenger.  At least, on this occasion, he had a blanket and more than table scraps to live off of.  The only problem was that he had to make his way through the Draconi Forest, a place known to have many dangerous creatures inside.  Given that Sano was on sort of a quest to deal with something more dangerous, however, he decided to just go freakin' in there.  He wanted to see dragon riders, and the only way to do that was to get into Adela proper.

Rune

Zero moved swiftly and silently through the forest. Despite his tall frame and huge wings, he could be surprisingly stealthy when he wanted to be. Even though Draconi Forest housed some pretty dangerous creatures, the dark phoenix hybrid was not afraid. Zero was more than capable of holding his own. However, his movements through the trees were interrupted by a strange scent. The hybrid followed the scent until he found the human that was making it. Zero was not keen on humans and he silently followed the stranger and waited for his chance to strike. 

Wrathwyrm

Now, it's not to say that he was bad at this.  Let's just say he was new to all this.  He'd never been to the Draconi Forest, he hadn't experienced its dangers, and the only real bearing he had on things was that he had to move east.  Most of his concentration was really on keeping his ears and eyes opened for trouble, which this area was known for.  In the last town, they'd innformed him of the Basilisks, but...years of argument had led to a small problem: They couldn't remember exactly what the beasts were like, having categorically avoided contact with them for so long.

For instance, while everyone could agree that the Basilisk was a dangerous form of reptile that had some rather deadly abilities to use against prey, any details after that were largely guesswork.  Some say that it's a four-legged lizard with stony scales who can cause petrification by venom and paralysis with its glare.  some say that it was a giant snake with poisonous fangs and a glare that causes paralysis, and then death.  Others still held out that they were lizard beasts who spat poison, glared paralysis, and had stone-related [i[magic[/i] in the form of a curse.  Of course, the really difficult bit - the very notion that had escaped them - was that they were all right, that Basilisks had several variations, all of them dangerous.

Suffice to say, Zero's intended prey was keeping his eyes on his surroundings as he walked, seemingly poised to take action, once it occurred.  If he had heard him at all, it was only the minor branch movement that could be attributed to a bird or smaller woodland creature.  That was the effect of Zero's attention to stealth at this time.  The only problem was that his target was clearly watching for sudden attacks, so once he got into motion, it could be somewhat difficult.

Rune

Zero continued to follow the human. However, he noticed the stranger was extremely wary. Although the dark phoenix hybrid could understand the human's caution, he was still somewhat irritated by it. However, Zero also knew that even the most wary of prey can make mistakes. As he continued to stealthily follow the human, he waited for the right moment to make his move.

Wrathwyrm

Not for quite some time did any sort of opportunity arise.  It's not to say that he had a constant grip on that sword or anything like that.  It was just that he seemed to be well-trained or something.  Zero might've even been spotted, had he not been following behind, where only his ears were focused.  Still, the moment where he finally let his guard down was when he needed a break, food and water.  He drew the pack off of his back and began to rummage for his canteen and food provisions.

Rune

Zero smirked as his patience finally payed off. The human he had been following seemed to be giving in to their fatigue hunger and thirst. The dark phoenix sprang into action. Pushing off the branch, Zero swooped down towards his target. As he closed in, he brought his feet forward with his talons at the ready.

Wrathwyrm

It was unexpected.  One moment, Sano was pulling out his canteen, the next...there was just the subtle sound of swoosh as something seemed to move through the air at great speed.  He knew the sound from enough of his training, though this sounded bigger than normal.  That was swish, you see.  At any rate, he'd been caught off-guard.  He'd looked over his shoulder in time to see it and tried to move, but the taloned feet were moving in for a full on slam into the ground, so down he went!

"Ugh!  Damn...!"

He had to respond immediately, or this could get ugly.  He didn't even know what it was yet.  All he saw was a shape and some talons.  Sano concentrated and...Zero would see some strange things going on, all of a sudden.  The young man he'd boweled over didn't reach for his sword.  His bracers took on a strange gray glow, and two whip sword blades seemed to grow out of them fast, moving on their own volition like they were alive!  They came to a decent length, then swept and stabbed around like two snakes made of swords, working to fend off the unknown threat.

Rune

Zero couldn't help but chuckle as the human went down. However, his triumph was short-lived as the man's bracers sprouted sentient whip sword blades. The dark phoenix hybrid was not deterred, though. Zero began to dig his talons into his victim as he twisted the surrounding shadows into his own whip-blades and began to fight back. He hoped this would cause the man to give up.

Wrathwyrm

RIP!

Sano heard his black mantle tear as Zero worked his talons down his back.  However, the phoenix would see and feel that...oh.  That was plate.  He was armored there.

"You bastard...  I just got that thing!"

To correctly understand his sudden real anger, you'd have to know that it was a gift, and that he really liked that mantle, and now some creature had torn it up.  Well...Zero would find three-foot spikes suddenly growing out of the armor, like really fast, and those whip-blades suddenly exploded into a couple dozen three-point throwing stars, pretty much flying and spinning like sawblades of their own accord.  Or rather, he was willing it to occur, just as he was willing them to swarm around Zero erratically before converging in for some slicing against him.

Rune

Zero rolled his eyes as the human complained about their mantle getting torn. He never understood how humans could place so much importance on clothes. The dark phoenix hybrid was not too discouraged by the man's armour.

"Then you should not have come here."

Zero narrowly avoided the spikes growing from the armour but was less lucky with the throwing stars. Luckily, the damage was minimal as they just grazed his non-human legs. Now that the hybrid was airborne again, he swooped towards the man once more, this time targeting his head with a vicious slash from his talons.

Wrathwyrm

We don't really expect a thinking predator to appreciate the value of attire, but then we don't really expect the victim of said wardrobe damage to give a damn what he thinks.  After Zero got off of the young man, he quickly rolled over like the spikes weren't there anymore, largely because they weren't.  He could probably hear the metallic sound of them retracting as easily as the spinning sound of those still-airborne stars.  In the time that it took the man-bird of prey to circle and swoop again, he was facing Sano head-on, as he'd sprung to his feet and readied himself.

"I go where I please."

At a draw-stance, he swung his sword and a heavy chainlink net would fling itself at Zero before the talons were to reach Sano, who ducked aside instinctively before silently commanding his spinning stars to starting going at the strange flying creature like so many angry wasps.  He stayed wary now.  This one was tricky.  He'd been prepared for dangerous animals, but this one was not only intelligent, but it even mocked him!  The nerve of the thing!

Rune

Zero was somewhat annoyed when his prey avoided his attack. Unfortunately, he also got the man's net caught on his talons. The dark phoenix hybrid wasn't keen on the stranger's attitude, either.

"Just because you can go somewhere doesn't mean you should."

Zero glanced around as the man's throwing stars started zooming towards him. However, he had an idea to get rid of them. The hybrid kicked his feet and sent the net flying at the throwing stars.

Wrathwyrm

The net impacted most of the throwing stars - some got around and sliced at Zero, regardless - and the net stopped in mid-air, absorbing them somehow.  Then, every link of the net grew hooks and barbs.   Meanwhile, Sano's canteen levitated into a free hand and he took a drink.  Much better!  Now, to this one.

"I don't take advice from things that try to nibble my giblets.  Your vote doesn't count."

The net flew at him with renewed force, and appeared to be actively chasing and grabbing at Zero in the process.  The few remaining stars, four in total, suddenly grew to that of floating short swords.  They would now attempt to corral Zero to he net by stabbing at him when he made an escape maneuver.  Honestly, he hated this thing.  It appeared to be some kind of part-animal being, but it was a mere predator, unlike Keefe, who had - for lack of a better term - humanity.

Rune

Zero's feathers ruffled in annoyance as some of the throwing stars sliced his legs and clipped his tail feathers. To make matters worse, the net absorbed all but four of the stars and appeared to grow barbs and hooks, as well as appeared to become sentient. The four remaining throwing stars grew larger and attempted to herd him into the net.

"Humans don't have giblets. Votes do not matter to beings like myself."

The dark phoenix hybrid did not want to be snared by a human, so he became one with the shadows and attempted to lose the throwing stars in the net.

Wrathwyrm

How highly informative of him.  However, the talkative bird of prey forgot the part where Sano wasn't really listening to what he had to say, largely because he was trying to kill him.  Actually, right now, Zero was attempting to use the shadows as cover, magical cover!  He disappeared into the shadow of a tree, literally did that...as the shade alone wouldn't have hidden him from sight.  When Sano saw this, the net and the swords stopped - just halted - in mid-air.

Shit...  Is he there?  Is he doubling around?  Is he just leaving?  There's no way to tell like this.

The forest wasn't exactly a canopy.  There was plenty of sunlight coming in between trees and between branches, but because of the big and solid tree trunks, this guy had plenty to hide in.  He might not become visible again unless the shadows were...hmmm.

"Okay, let's try this."

Someone with a flair for the dramatics might snap their fingers or wave their hands.  Sano did little more than narrow his eyes slightly before the net and the swords changed into about twenty crescent-syle guillotines hovering about.  He now walked among them and reflected sunlight upon shadows.  He had no idea if what he was doing would expose his attacker, but if so, that guy was going to be in severe trouble.  Like...surrounded, for one.

Rune

Zero's red eyes narrowed as the man turned his flying weapons into a number of floating guillotines. To make matters worse, the stranger began reflecting light all over the place. Although death was not a permanent thing for the dark phoenix hybrid, he still wanted to avoid the inconvenience of it. Zero remained hidden and created a perfect doppelganger of his currently shadowed form. He then set it loose and hoped it would spring the human's trap.

Wrathwyrm

And it worked...sort of.  Sano found the doppelganger, some guilotines flew at it, but they stopped and merely adopted a threatening posture.  Let us be clear: Sano thought that he'd found Zero, but he was only interested in killing him while he posed a real threat.  Thinking that the predator had been caught with the proverbial pants down and not simply nearby the doppelganger and concealed still, he cooled down a little.

"I think you know by now that you're not gonna kill me.  What I'm after is something far more dangerous and ultimately more monstrous than your worst day.  Maybe you think this is funny-"

A guilotine suddenly flew at a nearby tree with extreme velocity and cracked through it, causing it to fall into some of the brush.

"-but I'm not in the mood.  So basically...piss off!"

Rune

Zero chuckled as the stranger thought the doppelganger was the real thing. He was surprised the doppelganger didn't get attacked, though. The dark phoenix hybrid decided to reveal himself and perched on a branch nearby.

"Perhaps, perhaps not. I do not care about what foolish reason you have for coming here. Your tantrum is amusing, but that is not why I am targeting you."

Zero eyed the guillotines warily as one smashed through a tree.

"I'm not going anywhere. You're the intruder, so you're the one who must leave."

Wrathwyrm

What the...?  Ah hell, wasn't even the right bird.  Still annoying, though.  Actually, what's worse was that this guy seemed to be going after him out of some perceived territorial despute.  Against a traveler, passing through.  He actually laughed.

"What are you?  Rich?  You can't own a forest.  If I'm too close to your nest or whatever, then I'm sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, you're being a pest."

Rhyming was unintentional on this matter.  Sano sighed, thinking that Keefe probably never had these problems.  But then, he had an idea.  All the guilotines began to return to him as he picked up his supply bag and put it on his back.  The floating blades became coins that flew into his pockets, leaving him pretty much the way Zero initially found him.

"At any rate, I can't have you hounding me like this, so...catch me if you can."

And with that, Sano suddenly leapt an astonishing twenty feet above the treeline, through the gap where there was no tree, and landed atop another tree, at least that far away too!  What the hell?!  That isn't possible!  He doesn't have superhuman agility!  He just...oh.  Sano was making his getaway by leaping from tree to tree, via his will over the metal armor he was wearing.  He was throwing himself with his mind, still bound for Ketra.

Rune

Zero rolled his eyes at the stranger. Humans were such ignorant beings, so the fellow's reaction hardly came as a surprise. The dark phoenix hybrid's feather's ruffled in agitation.

"I am the one who's protecting their home. Material wealth holds no meaning for me. As long as I am here, I can. It is you who is the pest."

Zero was somewhat surprised when the man called the guillotines back.

"If that is how you want to play this, then on your own head be it."

He soared into the air as the man began jumping from tree to tree like an oversized ape. The hybrid flew upwards and swooped down towards the fleeing man. Zero then swung his feet forward and attempted to grab the man in his talons.